Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salvador R. Vasquez-Oliva - California Death Row

Salvador R. Vasquez-Oliva - California Death Row

From left to right: Angelique Vasquez, Ashley Coleman, Mia Vasquez and Alvin Vasquez

Man could face death penalty in slayings of 4 family members

By Nashelly Chavez
    The Sacramento Bee

A Sacramento prosecutor said he will seek the death penalty in the murder case against Salvador Vasquez-Oliva, a man who stands accused of killing his wife, two children and niece in their South Land Park home earlier this year.

Vasquez-Oliva was silent as Thien Ho, a Sacramento assistant district attorney prosecuting the case, made the announcement Friday morning at the Sacramento Superior Court’s Lorenzo E. Patiño Hall of Justice.

“The prosecution will be seeking the death penalty in this case” if Vasquez is convicted, Ho said.

California has executed 13 people in the last four decades, according to a previous Sacramento Bee story. In November, the state’s voters turned down a measure that would have abolished capital punishment while passing Proposition 66, intended to speed up California’s death penalty system.

Vasquez-Oliva was almost unrecognizable from his March mug shot during Friday’s hearing. His hair was longer, combed back to reach the back of his neck. He wore glasses and had a graying beard as he stood inside the courtroom’s holding cell.

Vasquez-Oliva faces four counts of murder for the death of his wife, two children and a niece, all who were found March 23 in their South Land Park home on 35th Avenue. Their bodies were found after Sacramento Police Department officers were asked by a relative to check on the family.

The wife, identified as Angelique Vasquez, 45, was a worker at the state’s Employment Development Department. Vasquez-Oliva, 56 at the time of the incident, also worked at the department, public records show.

The two married in June 2002 in San Francisco, according to county records. Vasquez-Oliva was arrested the same day his family’s bodies were found, near the city’s Pierce Street and Golden Gate Avenue. The location is not far from an apartment on Turk Street where Vasquez-Oliva once lived, online records show.

The couple’s children were identified as 14-year-old Mia Vasquez, a student at Sam Brannan Middle School, and Alvin Vasquez,11, who attended John Cabrillo Elementary School and was an avid basketball fan. A niece, 21-year-old Ashley Coleman, was also found dead in the home.

A felony complaint filed by prosecutors in Sacramento Superior Court alleges Vasquez and her children were killed with a blunt-force instrument sometime on March 22, a day before police arrived to the South Land Park home.

A knife was used to kill Coleman, the complaint alleges.

“It’s a very sad case,” said attorney Jessica Graves, who stood in for Linda Parisi, the defense attorney for the case.“There’s many issues that still need to be resolved and we look forward to using the court process to solve them.”

Ho declined to comment on a possible motive in the case.

Vasquez-Oliva is scheduled to return to court on Jan. 26 at 8:30 a.m.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...188800889.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Trial ahead for man accused in 2017 quadruple slaying of family in South Land Park

BY DARRELL SMITH
    The Sacramento Bee

Salvador Vasquez-Oliva will be tried in the March 2017 murders of his wife, children and niece at their South Land Park home, a Sacramento judge ruled at the Sacramento man’s preliminary hearing Friday.

Vasquez-Oliva is scheduled to be arraigned for trial Nov. 16. Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty.

Prosecuting Sacramento County Deputy District Attorney Jeff Hightower told a judge of the “heinous, violent murders,” March 22, 2017, the state of the quiet home on 35th Avenue that became a scene of horror, the bodies found two each in the living room and the garage; and finally, Vasquez-Oliva’s confession to family members in San Francisco that led authorities to the grisly scene.

Vasquez-Oliva sat quietly with his attorneys through the brief proceedings.

The bodies of Vasquez-Oliva’s wife, Angelique Vazquez, 45, and niece Ashley Coleman, 21, were found in the family’s living room. The bodies of the children, daughter Mia Vasquez, 14, and son Alvin Vasquez, 11, were located in the garage, tied, with plastic over their heads, Hightower said.

Vasquez and her children were killed with a blunt-force instrument. A knife was used to kill Coleman, prosecutors allege.

“The evidence is overwhelming as to guilt,” Hightower told Sacramento Superior Court Judge Matthew Gary.

The bludgeoning and stabbing deaths stunned their South Land Park neighborhood and the greater city.

Neighbors knew the couple’s sporty, soccer and basketball playing kids. Angelique was a popular presence at the state’s Employment Development Department, where she worked for 11 years as a personnel technician. Vasquez-Oliva was a state employee for more than a decade at the time of the killings,

A neighborhood vigil in the days after the killings drew mourners including Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg, who spoke to the city’s grief and beseeched its children to “know that the world you live in is a good and great place.”

For the victims’ family, the preliminary hearing is one more step in the long march to trial, said family friend Arlette Smith.

“This whole thing continues to be devastating and horrific for the family, but we’re relieved that the process is getting underway,” Smith said. “There are four homicide victims. This is a mass murder. We know it’s going to be quite some time, but we will be patient because we want the prosecutor to be able to do their job. But, it is difficult.”

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/ar...#storylink=cpy
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Edited:

Trial Set for Salvador Vasquez-Oliva

The prosecution is planning for the trial to begin in August 2019.

https://www.kcra.com/article/school-...-need/23623898
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    ‘We are not forgetting’: Family of Land Park quadruple murder victims faces suspect at hearing

Father accused of killing of wife, children and niece in 2017

By Vicki Gonzalez
    KCRA Sacramento

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The trial for a Sacramento suspect charged in the murders of his wife, two children and niece will move forward.

Salvador Vasquez-Oliva was 56 years old at the time of the March 2017 murders. He was arrested shortly after the murders in the Bay Area. Investigators said he confessed to family members about the killings.

His wife, 45-year-old Angelique Vasquez and their 11-year-old son Alvin, 14-year-old daughter Mia and 21-year-old niece Ashley Coleman were found dead inside their South Land Park home.

"I was the godmother to Mia and Alvin. I was in the wedding of Angelique and that man," Christiane Medina said. “They were sweet kids. Mia was just starting adolescence. Alvin loved his grandpa. Mia looked up to Ashley as her older cousin, and they had a really sweet relationship."

A motive behind the killings is still unknown.

“(Angelique) was always full of love and optimism," Medina said. "Seeing the best in people. Big heart, really big heart, and a beautiful laugh too."

Medina, along with several loved ones, was in court Friday to support Angelique Vasquez’s parents, who are in their 80s and haven’t been able to bring themselves to attend the hearings.

"They lost most of their family,” Medina said. “To someone they opened the door to and welcomed in their home."

Family members did not want to get into the marriage dynamic between the couple.

"I'm here because of them. Because they didn't get a chance,” Medina said. "It's important for us to be here (Friday) to let them know that we are not forgetting, and he needs to be held accountable for what he did."

Vasquez-Oliva used a blunt force instrument against his children, whose bodies were found in the garage bound by the legs with a plastic bag over their heads, according to prosecutors.

Angelique Vasquez was reportedly killed with blunt force and lacerations with a sharp object. Coleman was killed with a knife, according to the criminal complaint. Both adults were found in the living room.

"I both pray and I am very angry,” Medina said. "I can't imagine anybody doing that. To their own children. To the wife who he always said he loved."

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty, which Vasquez-Oliva’s public defender, Linda Parisi, is contesting.

Vasquez-Oliva used a Spanish interpreter during the hearing. However, he was employed by the California Employment Development Department as an office technician, and friends of the victims said Angelique Vasquez did not speak Spanish.

The prosecution is planning for the trial to begin in August 2019.

https://www.kcra.com/article/meet-th...l-duo/23629564
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Salvador Vazquez-Oliva convicted of family’s South Land Park slayings that shocked Sacramento

By Darrell Smith
    The Sacramento Bee

Salvador Vasquez-Oliva, whose 2017 murders of his wife and family inside their South Land Park home shocked the capital region, has been convicted in the grisly killings and now faces the penalty phase of his trial.

Vasquez-Oliva was convicted May 1 in Sacramento Superior Court of four counts of first-degree murder, with allegations of personal use of a deadly weapon and the special circumstance of multiple murders at trial before Sacramento Superior Court Judge Michael Sweet, according to Sacramento County District Attorney’s officials.

Sweet is presiding over the trial’s penalty phase which was slated to begin this week. Prosecutors had said they intended to seek the death penalty.

Vasquez-Oliva, now 62, was 56 when he bludgeoned his wife, Angelique Vasquez, 45, and their two children, daughter Mia Vasquez, 14, and son Alvin Vasquez, 11, to death. He also fatally stabbed niece Ashley Coleman, 21, at the family home on 35th Avenue in March 2017. The four were discovered by Sacramento police during a welfare check prompted by a call from a concerned family member.

Hours after their bodies were found, police tracked down Vasquez-Oliva in a San Francisco neighborhood. Sacramento prosecutors would later say Vasquez-Oliva’s confession to family members there led police to the South Land Park home.

The Sacramento man had worked as a technician in the state’s Employment Development Department before the slayings.

The crimes shocked at the time not only in their brutality but the setting, a quiet home in a 35th Avenue neighborhood where many residents had lived for years; the victims, a family nearly universally described by neighbors as kind, generous and outgoing.

Neighbors knew the children’s love of sports, Mia’s of soccer; younger Alvin’s love of basketball. Angelique was a friendly face at the state’s Employment Development Department. She worked for 11 years as a personnel technician for the department. Vasquez-Oliva was a state employee for more than 10 years at the time of the killings.

Adding at the time to the sense of foreboding, the dayslong processing of the crime scene inside the home, shrouded behind yellow police tape, as neighbors wondered what had become of the family.

Such was the community’s grief that neighbors filled its streets during a candlelight vigil that included Sacramento city Councilman Jay Schenirer and Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cr...275267966.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Jury sentences man to death who killed wife, 2 kids, niece in South Land Park

SACRAMENTO COUNTY, Calif. (ABC 10) — A Sacramento County man accused of killing his wife, their two children and his niece has been convicted of murder more than six years after their deaths.

According to the Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office, Salvador Vasquez-Oliva was convicted on May 1 of four counts of first-degree murder with personal use of a deadly weapon and the special circumstance of multiple murders.

Then, on May 12, a jury returned a verdict of death. His formal sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 25 at 10 a.m.

CASE HISTORY

Vasquez-Oliva killed his wife, Angelique; their two children, Mia and Alvin; and his niece, Ashley Coleman, in March 2017.

Prosecutors say his wife and children died from blunt force trauma while his niece was stabbed to death.

The four bodies were found inside a South Land Park home after a family member requested a welfare check.

Vasquez-Oliva was found hours later in the Bay Area and arrested.

At the time of his arrest, he was employed by the state’s Employment Development Department as an office technician in a non-public office.

https://www.abc10.com/amp/article/ne...c-57b6f52484f3

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Vasquez-Olivia is scheduled to be officially sentenced on August 25, 2023 at 10 AM Pacific Time.

https://www.sacsheriff.com/InmateInf...archNames.aspx

Sentencing rescheduled for 8/30/2023 at 9:00 AM PST.

Sentencing again rescheduled for 9/15/23 at 10:00 AM PST.

Sentenced to death by judge today.

https://www.cbsnews.com/sacramento/v...nced-to-death/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information