Thread: Capital Murder Trial Set for Aakiel Kendrick in 2018 TX Murder of Bao and Jenny Lam

Capital Murder Trial Set for Aakiel Kendrick in 2018 TX Murder of Bao and Jenny Lam

Bao and Jenny Lam

Erick Alfredo Peralta, 20, Aakiel Ricardo Kendrick, 21, and Khari Ty Kendrick, 23

3 charged with capital murder in connection with execution-style murders of Spring couple

By Cory McCord and Aaron Barker
    click2houston.com

Harris County, Texas - Three people have been arrested in connection with the murders of Bao and Jenny Lam, of Spring, according to sources.

Authorities said they are not searching for anyone else.

Harris County officials held a press conference to make the announcement.

Erick Alfredo Peralta, 20, Aakiel Ricardo Kendrick, 21, and Khari Ty Kendrick, 23, were charged with capital murder.

"We received numerous tips as a result of the story being aired on the news. Those tips were followed up and led us to the Lincoln Navigator seen in the video that was shown. As a result of that, there were three individuals that we were able to come into contact with and take (them) into custody," Lt. Christopher Sandoval, with the Harris County Sheriff's Office, said.

Investigators said one of the men confessed to the crime but the other two chose not to speak.

Investigators on Tuesday released surveillance video of men they described as persons of interest in the slaying of the couple at their home.

The video was recorded by a camera at the gated entrance to the Northgate Forest neighborhood, where the bodies of Bao, 61, and Jenny, also 61, were found Saturday in their Glorietta Turn home, Harris County deputies said.

The couple had been bound and both were shot in the head, investigators said.

According to deputies, the video showed two men arriving at the subdivision entrance in a black 2007 to 2014 Lincoln Navigator about 8:20 p.m. Thursday. The pair climbed under the gate and walked into the neighborhood, deputies said.

Investigators said that the Lams arrived home about 20 minutes later, where evidence indicates that they were ambushed in the garage and forced into their home.

The video showed that about 2:30 a.m. Friday, the couple’s gray Porsche exits the neighborhood and returns a short time later, deputies said. The driver is seen about four hours later walking back to the Navigator and driving away, followed by the Porshe, deputies said. The Porshe was found abandoned Sunday afternoon, police said.

Investigators said the video indicates that the Lams’ killers returned to the home several times between their initial attack Thursday night and when the couple’s bodies were found Saturday evening.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/3...le-sources-say
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Capital murder suspect out on bond after execution-style killing of couple in 2018, records show

By KTRK News

SPRING, Texas (KTRK) -- One out of three suspects charged in a 2018 execution-style, double-murder was released from jail on bond Friday, court documents show.

According to official reports, Erick Peralta was released from custody after posting a $350,000 bond.

Peralta was arrested after police believe he was involved in the execution-style killing of Bao and Jenny Lam back in 2018.

The two other suspects, Aakiel Kendrick and Khari Kendrick, remained in jail Friday. Their bonds were also set at $350,000.

Peralta is expected to be back in court this October for pre-trial motions.

Investigators say they believe Peralta and the two other men ambushed the Lam couple at their home in the Northgate Forest subdivision of Spring. Deputies say the couple was inside their garage before being forced into their home by their killers.

Investigators said the couple was found bound at their hands and feet with gunshot wounds inside their home.

Their bodies were reportedly found after a welfare check call by their family.

https://abc13.com/double-murder-bao-...ring/11014389/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Family, friends celebrate lives of Spring couple slain in 2018 ahead of December trial

By Joel Umanzor
    Houston Chronicle

As the sun set in downtown Houston, friends and family of a Spring couple who were brutally killed in 2018 celebrated their life with a candlelight vigil and called for justice in the upcoming trial of the three men accused of killing them.

Bao and Jenny Lam were killed on Jan. 11, 2018, during a home invasion when three men ambushed them in their garage as they returned from a family dinner to their gated community in Spring.

Authorities said they found the couple two days later shot execution-style while they were tied up in their home inside the Northgate Forest Community in northern Harris County.

“Almost four years ago, their lives were brutally taken by animals with no sense of honor or decency,” Richard Lam, the couple’s son, said. “I’ll never know the joys of having a first dance with my mom at my wedding, I’ll never get to take care of them in their later years, I will never get to fulfill my duties as a son. They deserve better and they deserve justice.”

The accused men — Aakiel Kendrick, 24, Khari Kendrick, 27, and Erick Peralta, 24 — all face capital murder charges after one of the trio allegedly confessed, according to the sheriff's office. Both Aakiel and Khari Kendrick are scheduled to begin their trials the first week of December, while Peralta made bond and is expected in court in January.

A crowd of more than 100 attended the vigil outside of the Houston City Hall at Hermann Square, wearing white T-shirts to honor the Lams while business partners, church members, state leaders and family spoke about the impact that the couple had.

“Tonight we are here because we wanted to show our love and sympathy to the surviving family members,” Venerable Hung I, head of the Jade Buddha Temple, said. “As friends of the family, we will continue to support the family and let them know that Houston, Texas is filled with good people.”

State Rep. Gene Wu spoke on the need for justice in the Asian community in this case.

“We are here today as a reminder that our community demands justice. That we are not here just to remember their names and their lives but we are here to demand justice,” Wu said.

Many of those who spoke, talked about the Lam’s journey of leaving Taiwan and Laos to make a new life in the United States, the business endeavors at their Marble Slab Creamery franchise they opened in 1984 and the multiple Subway sandwich shop franchises they operated.

The Lams also gave time and money to the Texas Buddhist Association and were involved with the American Bodhi Center and Jade Buddha Temple in Houston

“Some of my best memories are the discussions we had on life, current events, politics and sports. Bao offered a unique perspective of the world we live in,” said Said Rastegar, family friend of the Lams for 35 years. “Bao could walk into a room full of strangers and walk out the room full of friends. He was that amazing of a person.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...e-16627036.php

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Trial continues for 1 of 3 suspects charged with 2018 execution style deaths

By Charly Edsitty
    KTRK News

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) -- On Monday, the trial continues for one of three suspects charged in the gruesome murder of a Spring couple that happened back in 2018.

The wait has been long for trials to start in this case.

The couple's son, Richard, has been a vocal advocate for justice on behalf of his parents.

Khari Kendrick is set to appear back in court Monday. Kendrick is one of three men charged with capital murder, accused of the gruesome murder of a 61-year-old Spring couple.

In January 2018, Jenny and Bao Lam were found tied up inside their home and both had been shot execution style.

Richard said he is hopeful that evidence in the case will yield convictions and his family will receive some justice.

"They need to think for the rest of their lives about what they did behind bars. They can reflect on it for however long they live. I don't think they should be out in the streets," said Richard.

The trial will continue in the 182nd court at 8:30 a.m.

https://abc13.com/double-murder-bao-...cide/11884619/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Life without parole for man convicted in Spring couple’s murder

By Amanda Cochran
    click2houston.com

HOUSTON – Khari Kendrick has been sentenced to life without parole for his role in the death of Spring couple Bao and Jenny Lam four years ago, KPRC 2 has learned following a weeklong trial.

Khari Kendrick’s brother, Aakiel Kendrick, and Erick Peralta are all charged with capital murder in the killings. Aakiel’s trial is set for October and Peralta’s trial will start in July.

Bao and Jenny Lam, both 61, owned several Subway restaurants. The couple was found shot to death inside their home at 16150 Glorietta Turn in Spring in 2018. Prosecutors said officers discovered their bodies after the couple’s son called police when he couldn’t get in contact with them and went to their home and found what looked like a break-in.

Prosecutors said the accused killers had tied the couple’s hands and feet before their execution-style murders.

After, prosecutors said the men were seen on camera going in and out of the subdivision and into the couple’s home.

Prosecutors said a witness who lived in the same apartment complex with two of the suspects recognized the men from photos and called Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...ouples-murder/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

2nd suspect found guilty in 2018 execution-style killing of Spring couple

By KTRK News

SPRING, Texas (KTRK) -- A second suspect charged with capital murder in the execution-style killing of a Spring couple was found guilty, according to sources.

The video above is from a previous report.

Erick Peralta was on trial for the 2018 murder of Jenny and Bao Lam. Nearly five years ago, the couple's son made the gruesome discovery and found his parents tied up inside their home and shot execution-style.

Peralta, Aakiel Kendrick and Khari Ty Kendrick were caught after a tipster, who knew two of the suspects, saw surveillance video of the trio breaking into the Lams' gated community.

Officials believe the suspects waited for an opportunity to attack the couple.

Khari Kendrick was sentenced to life in prison in May 2022 for his role in the murders. His brother, Aakiel Kendrick, is awaiting trial.

Peralta had previously made headlines when he managed to post his bond in 2021. But this was revoked when he tried contacting a witness before his trial began.

Because this was not a death penalty case, Peralta will also get life in prison without parole.

https://abc13.com/spring-texas-crime...ilty/12316631/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information