Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon De McCall - Texas Death Row

Brandon De McCall - Texas Death Row

Officer David Sherrard

Rene Gamez

Richardson police officer, civilian killed in shooting

By WFAA News

RICHARDSON, TEXAS - A Richardson police officer shot while responding to a disturbance call at an apartment complex has died Wednesday night.

An active-shooter situation continues at Breckinridge Point Apartments near E. Renner and North Star roads.

A heavy police presence surrounds the apartment building, where police are negotiating with the shooter who has barricaded himself inside the complex. Police said he continues to fire shots.

The incident started at about 7 p.m. The officer was shot while responding to a report of a disturbance at the apartment complex and was rushed to Medical City Plano. One civilian was shot but was not sent to the hospital.

Officers have closed Renner Road. Residents are urged to shelter in place.

A Texas Department of Public Safety helicopter hovers over the scene.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/offic...arge/515874893
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Richardson officer, civilian killed in apartment shooting

By Fox4News.com Staff

A SWAT standoff is over after a Richardson police officer and a civilian were fatally shot Wednesday night at an apartment complex.

Police originally responded to calls about a disturbance at the Breckinridge Point Apartments on East Renner Road around 7:30 p.m. When they arrived, the gunman opened fire and hit one officer. The officer later died at the hospital. A civilian was also shot and died at the scene.

Another man at the apartment complex, 30-year-old Rene Gamez, was also shot and killed. Police said he lived at the complex and knew the suspect. Their exact relationship is still unclear.

The shooting led to an hours-long standoff as the suspect barricaded himself. One neighbor told FOX 4 they could hear the gunman yelling "I'm sorry" while he was barricaded and authorities were trying to negotiate with him.

Police say the gunman continued to shoot at random until finally being taken into custody shortly before midnight. It's unclear if he was injured.

Officers have continued to gather at Medical City Plano, where the officer was taken. They are not releasing the name of the 27-year-old officer at this time.

Gov. Greg Abbott tweeted at the Richardson Police Department saying, "The hearts and soul of Texas mourn with you. Your loss is a loss to all law enforcement and everyone in our great state. Texas will honor the lost officer with the dignity he deserves. May God rest his soul. And may his legacy live on in others' service."

http://www.fox4news.com/news/richard...rtment-complex
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Officer Killed in Texas Identified

February 7 is day that will forever be marked as the day the Richardson Police Department lost one of the best officers I have ever known. David Sherrard was the police officer you would want to show up at your house under any circumstance. As a fellow officer, he was the type of police officer we want with us on a high risk call. An officer you would never question if he had your back. We never questioned his bravery.

He was a loving husband to his wife, Nicole, a devoted father to his two daughters, Emily and Grace. He was a friend who, for me, was there when I walked through the worst days of my life. For a year now, he has checked in on me frequently to see how we are doing and to remind me that he still wears his pink Ally’s Legacy bracelet at all times.

A few hours ago, he paid the ultimate price doing what he loved. The ultimate price trying to help a person he had never met. Law Enforcement as a whole lost one of the best men to ever put on a uniform. He will be missed greatly.

It was my honor to have him as a friend, an honor to wear the same uniform he wore, an honor to serve on the same SWAT team with him....an honor to call him a fellow Christian.

Please pray hard for his family, friends and fellow officers.

https://www.facebook.com/steve.hoote...mLWUabqguMS0sg

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

'He was hunting us,' Richardson police say of man accused of killing veteran officer

By Valerie Wigglesworth
    The Dallas Morning News

Richardson police responding to a disturbance on Feb. 7 found themselves caught in an ambush with a man armed with an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle, according to newly released documents in the fatal shooting of a veteran Richardson officer and another man at an apartment complex.

"It looked like he was hunting us," police Sgt. Brian Lee Alcorn stated in the affidavits.

Brandon McCall, 26, was eventually taken into custody on a charge of capital murder of a peace officer in connection with the death of 13-year police veteran David Sherrard. McCall's friend, 30-year-old Rene Gamez, was also killed that night.

On Thursday, authorities formally charged McCall with seven counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the attack on police who entered the apartment that night. He is being held in the Collin County Detention Center in McKinney.

There is no bond listed on the capital murder charge; his bond on the aggravated assault charges totals $1.75 million.

Richardson police turned the investigation over to Plano Police. Their investigation into the fatal shootings continues.

Defense attorney Edwin King was appointed to represent McCall along with co-counsel Philip Hayes. King said Thursday he had not seen the affidavits in what he described as "a horrific tragedy."

"We'll go forward one step at a time," he said, adding that the case is still in its early stages and his client has not yet been indicted. "There's a lot going on here. We'll just have to wait for our day in court."

'I'm hit'

The documents, signed by a judge and released Thursday, provide a glimpse into the chaotic scene that night based on statements from officers whose actions were recorded on their body cameras.

The first officers to arrive at the Breckinridge Point apartment complex on Renner Road around 7 p.m. found Gamez unconscious outside his third-floor apartment. Gamez had been shot in the back of the leg and was bleeding profusely, documents state. One witness said they heard Gamez say, "I'm dying."

Paramedics started treating him there outside the apartment. For safety reasons, they moved him to the second floor, where he died.

After some discussion among officers at the scene, they "decided to enter and clear said apartment due to the possibility that someone else might be inside and need help," the affidavit stated.

Multiple shouts of "Police" could be heard after Alcorn kicked the locked door five times and it swung open. Seven officers stormed inside.

Sherrard was the first. As he approached a hallway, two consecutive shots came from the suspect holed up in a back bedroom. Both rounds struck Sherrard in the upper torso, the affidavits state.

The video showed six seconds had elapsed between the officers' entry and Sherrard's fatal injuries. The husband and father of two girls never fired his own weapon, evidence shows.

Sherrard dropped his firearm and flashlight and walked out the door on his own. As he stepped outside, he told a sergeant, "I'm hit, I'm hit."

Sherrard was taken to a Plano hospital, where he died at about 8:03 p.m.

'Determined on killing officers'

The shooting inside the apartment continued between the suspect and the police. Alcorn stated he looked down the hallway and saw a man lying prone on the floor, "moving his head back and forth looking around," according to the affidavit.

Alcorn described seeing the barrel of a gun and what appeared to be a large eye like a Cyclops.

Police later recovered an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle "equipped with a SIG Sauer Optic scope." They also discovered two shotguns.

Officer Eddie Nelson Ruiz Gonzalez, the fourth one through the apartment door, said he exchanged gunfire with the suspect as he became trapped near a wall.

"I could feel the suspect's rounds flying by me," he stated. "As I took cover, I observed the shooter in a prone position near a bed. At that moment, it was clear that this was an ambush."

He and the other five remaining officers ended up in the kitchen. Ruiz-Gonzalez stated he tried to negotiate with McCall, who responded with moans.

"Every time the suspect would moan as if he had been injured, we would try and look towards the room, and he would fire more rounds at us as if [he] was baiting us," Officer Jose Rafael Perez stated in the affidavit.

The trapped officers radioed for someone to bring a ballistic shield. Sgt. Chad Swiere soon arrived. He entered the apartment, holding the shield in front of him and allowing enough room behind him for officers to squeeze out the door one by one.

The shooter "seemed determined on killing officers," Swiere stated in the affidavit.

Negotiations continued until McCall surrendered at about 11:45 p.m. The unarmed man stepped out of the apartment.

As officers led him down the stairs, he continually yelled, "I'm sorry!"

'Because I wanted to'

McCall was taken to the hospital for a checkup and treatment for exposure to tear gas, according to the affidavit.

At the hospital, he told a Plano detective that he accidentally shot Gamez as his friend was leaving. McCall stated he was using a shotgun as a crutch when the weapon accidentally discharged. Police found two metal crutches on the floor in the apartment's living room.

The detective asked why he shot at police.

"Because I wanted to," McCall replied.

According to the affidavit, McCall made two phone calls from the Collin County Detention Center on Feb. 10. In both calls, he described what happened at the apartment and said he knew what he was doing.

"I wanted to go to war with the police," he said.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...eteran-officer

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Death penalty sought for man accused of killing Richardson police officer, another man

By Valerie Wigglesworth
    Dallas News

Collin County's district attorney will seek the death penalty for the man who proclaimed he wanted to go to war with police and ended up killing a veteran Richardson officer.

Brandon McCall, 26, of Garland is accused of fatally shooting Officer David Sherrard as well as a friend and exchanging gunfire with seven other Richardson officers earlier this year.

A grand jury on Thursday indicted McCall on two counts of capital murder, one alleging that he murdered Sherrard and the other alleging he murdered Sherrard and Rene Gamez II. McCall was also indicted on seven counts of aggravated assault of a public servant.

After the indictments, District Attorney Greg Willis filed a notice of his intent to seek the death penalty.

The shooting at a Richardson apartment complex on Feb. 7 was described in court documents as a police ambush. The suspect took a tactical position with a clear view of the front door as officers broke in, shouting "police" several times.

Sherrard was the first one through the door. The 13-year police veteran was shot within six seconds. He dropped his weapon without ever firing and made it out of the apartment on his own to seek medical help.

He died less than an hour later at a Plano hospital, becoming the first Richardson officer in the city's history to be killed in the line of duty.

Police had been dispatched to the 4200 block of East Renner Road just after 7 p.m. Feb. 7 about a disturbance with possible gunfire. When they arrived, they found Gamez unconscious on the landing outside his third-story apartment and bleeding profusely from a gunshot wound.

Gamez, 30, who had taken McCall in as a houseguest, also died from his injuries that night.

Police decided to break into the apartment to check for possible other victims. Little did they know that McCall lay in wait, armed with an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle equipped with an optic scope as well as two shotguns.

"It looked like was hunting us," police Sgt. Brian Lee Alcorn later stated in a police affidavit.

McCall exchanged gunfire with several officers that night.

"I could feel the suspect's rounds flying by me," Officer Eddie Nelson Ruiz-Gonzalez stated in an affidavit. "I took cover but was pinned down near a wall. As I took cover, I observed the shooter in a prone position near a bed. At that moment, it was clear that this was an ambush. The suspect continued firing at me, trying to kill me. I returned fire back at the suspect to stop him from killing me."

Ruiz-Gonzalez tried to negotiate with McCall inside the apartment. But the only response was moaning noises, according to an affidavit.

"It did not sound like he was really in pain," Officer Bradley Harsha stated in an affidavit. "Rather, I believe he was attempting to bait the officers into exposing ourselves to additional gunfire by trying to apprehend him."

Six officers became trapped in the kitchen area. Sgt. Chad Swiere arrived with a ballistic shield and took on gunfire while the others squeezed out the door behind him.

"For a second [I] thought I might have no choice but to move forward towards the suspect who seemed determined on killing officers," Swiere stated in an affidavit. "Suddenly I could feel the door open further, allowing me to continue backwards until I was safely out of the apartment."

No other officers were injured. McCall surrendered after an hours-long standoff.

The shootings involving the police were captured on multiple body-worn cameras, according to court documents.

McCall has a history of run-ins with police in Garland and Richardson, including several drug-related arrests and one charge of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.

Later that night at the hospital, McCall told a Plano detective that he shot Gamez by accident, according to affidavits. When asked why he shot at police, McCall said: "Because I wanted to."

Days later while in jail, McCall made two phone calls and talked about what happened at the apartment. In those recorded calls, McCall said he knew what he was doing.

"I wanted to go to war with the police," he said.

McCall remains jailed in the Collin County Detention Center. No bail amount is listed on the capital murder charge; bail on the aggravated assault charges totals $1.75 million.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...er-another-man
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Edited:

Trial Begins For Brandon McCall, Who’s Accused Of Killing Richardson Officer David Sherrard

By CBS News

MCKINNEY, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – It was two years ago this month that the Richardson Police Department lost its first officer in the line of duty. Now, the man accused of killing officer David Sherrard will stand trial.

The trial for Brandon McCall began Monday in McKinney. He faces two counts of murder, and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Sherrard was a 14-year veteran with the Richardson Police Department and was a married father of two.

During opening statements, prosecutors offered a dramatic account of the shooting, telling the jury that the officer was killed by a laser-pointed rifle and that McCall had positioned himself to ambush Sherrard and others.

Along with capital murder, McCall also faces charges of aggravated assault on a public servant for shooting at seven other Richardson officers during the incident.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/02/17/...avid-sherrard/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Prosecutors Show Video Confession, Blood-Stained Police Uniform During Day 2 Of Brandon McCall Capital Murder Trial

By J.D. Miles
    CBS News

McKINNEY, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – Collin County prosecutors used a blood-stained uniform to show a jury the brutal way a Richardson Police officer died in February 2018.

They also showed the jury Brandon De McCall’s video confession during his capital murder trial.

On that video confession after his arrest, McCall is asked why he fired at officers, including Officer David Sherrard, 37, who was killed.

His answer was, “Cause I wanted to.”

Jurors also saw the murder weapon, an AR-15 rifle on Tuesday and heard from experts who brought graphic autopsy photos that had some jurors covering their mouths.

Crime scene photos from inside the Richardson apartment captured burn marks on the carpet in a back bedroom.

A crime scene investigator testified that it shows where McCall was lying in wait for officers after shooting his roommate who bled to death outside the apartment.

A gun battle and standoff lasted for two hours that night.

Defense attorneys pointed out there were dozens of boxes of unused ammo inside the apartment to try and minimize the damaging evidence against the defendant.

Later, a forensic pathologist testified one of the bullets that hit Sherrard had ricocheted off his body mounted police radio mic and entered his neck severing an artery.

“It is a fatal wound that, even if immediately treated, would have caused death,” the witness testified.

McCall confessed on video after his arrest while being treated at a Plano hospital.

The state rested its case on Tuesday evening.

The defense is expected to rest immediately on Wednesday morning and closing arguments will follow.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/02/18/...-murder-trial/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man convicted of capital murder of Richardson police officer

By Fox 4 News

McKINNEY, Texas - The man accused of killing two people including a Richardson police officer was found guilty Wednesday on two counts of capital murder.

Brandon McCall, 29, fatally shot SWAT Officer David Sherrard during a domestic disturbance at an apartment complex in February 2018. McCall also killed 30-year-old Rene Gamez, a friend who was letting him stay at his apartment.

Collin County prosecutors rested their case Tuesday afternoon and the defense took over Wednesday morning.

In a hearing outside the presence of the jury, the defense attorneys asked the judge to allow the police detective who acted as a negotiator on the day of the shooting to testify about McCall’s state of mind.

The defense ultimately rested without calling any witnesses. McCall waived his right to testify.

Jurors deliberated for about two hours before finding McCall guilty. Jurors were also allowed to consider lesser charges of manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide.

The sentencing phase of the trial will begin next week. McCall faces the death penalty or life in prison without parole.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/man-co...police-officer

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

I believe he'll get the death penalty. It'd be a shocking atrocity if he didn't
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Wish granted Bobsicles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information