Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony James Pardon Sentenced to LWOP in 2018 OH Rape and Murder of Rachael Anderson

Anthony James Pardon Sentenced to LWOP in 2018 OH Rape and Murder of Rachael Anderson

Rachael Anderson

New details emerge in murder of Rachael Anderson

By Maureen Kocot
    10TV News

COLUMBUS -- The Columbus Division of Police said a man with a lengthy and violent criminal history tortured and murdered a 24-year-old woman, and police said it appears the attack was random.

SWAT officers arrested 53-year-old Anthony Pardon after police said they discovered his DNA at the crime scene.

Police said on January 29th, Rachael Anderson's co-workers called 911 and said she never showed up to work the day after her birthday.

“It's completely out of character for her," a co-worker told police dispatchers.

Anderson was found by a family member on Monday.

Police say her body was in her apartment on Allegheny Avenue, in a closet and hidden.

Police said Anderson died by asphyxiation.

Investigators said they got a break in the case when one of Pardon's family members, who had no knowledge of the murder, used the victim's stolen credit card.

Police said Pardon's girlfriend, who investigators believe also had no knowledge of the crime, lives a short distance from Anderson's apartment.

"It's within a short walking distance from where Rachael's apartment is at. I don't know all the how's and why's of this, but I think it's just a coincidence that he ended up being at the same spot," said Sgt. Stan Latta with the Columbus Division of Police homicide unit.

Latta credited the hard work of his investigative unit, the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, and eyewitnesses who were willing to share information with the swift resolution in the murder case.

Police would not go into the details surrounding Anderson’s death, but said it appeared she had been tortured.

“It’s sad when something like this happens,” Sgt. Latta said. “But, our role is to try to get to the truth and try to give the family some closure in regards to what happened and why.”

While police investigate the “why,” they say they have the “who.”

Pardon has a long and violent criminal history. In 1982, court records show he was convicted of aggravated robbery, rape, and attempted murder in Franklin County. Pardon served 24 years in prison and is currently a Tier 3 sex offender.

Pardon drove Anderson’s car after the murder, used her credit card and left DNA at the scene, according to police.

“Between that and some DNA evidence that came back to Mr. Pardon, we were able to conclude, with certainty, that Anthony James Pardon was responsible for her death,” Sgt. Latta said.

He is now charged with murder and behind bars on a $5 million bond.

According to Anderson’s obituary, she was an aspiring funeral director. She attended Youngstown State University and majored in prerequisites for mortuary science.

She continued her bachelor’s degree at Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science and graduated in 2016.

She had been apprenticing at the Shaw-Davis Funeral Home, located in Columbus, according to her obituary.​

https://www.10tv.com/article/new-det...chael-anderson
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Death penalty indictment filed for suspect in kidnapping, rape, and murder of Rachael Anderson

By NBC 4 News Staff

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — The Franklin County Prosecutor says a death penalty indictment has been filed against 53-year-old Anthony Pardon, who is suspected of raping and killing 24-year-old Rachael Anderson.

Pardon, a registered sex offender, faces charges including aggravated murder, aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary, kidnapping, and rape. The indictment also includes a combination of several specifications, according to the prosecutor’s office: Felony murder (death penalty specifications), repeat attempted murder, sexually violent predator, and repeat violent offender specifications.

The repeat violent offender specifications in the indictment are based on a prior aggravated robbery, rape and attempted murder conviction from 1982, according to the prosecutor’s office.

Anderson, an aspiring funeral director, was found dead in the closet of her apartment the day after her 24th birthday.

She was nearing the end of her apprenticeship at the Shaw-Davis Funeral Homes at the time of her death. She was also on the verge of becoming the business’ first funeral director not from the Shaw family.

http://nbc4i.com/2018/02/15/death-pe...chel-anderson/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Man accused of raping, and killing Columbus woman arraigned on death penalty charges

By Dan Pearlman
    nbc4i.com

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — The registered sex offender accused of raping, torturing and murdering an aspiring funeral director was formally arraigned in Franklin County Common Pleas Court, on Tuesday.

Anthony Pardon stood quietly before a judge, as prosecutors detailed the nine-count indictment against him.

It includes charges of aggravated murder, aggravated burglary, aggravated robbery and kidnapping, with specifications which could lead to Pardon receiving a death sentence.

He entered a not guilty plea, on all of the charges.

According to police, Pardon killed Rachael Anderson in her east Columbus apartment and left her body in a closet.

Her remains were discovered on January 29, when co-workers said she did not show up for work.

Investigators said Pardon was linked to the crime by DNA evidence.

Court documents indicate Anderson’s cause of death was asphyxiation or suffocation.

Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O’Brien said Pardon and Anderson were strangers, and the suspect laid in wait for the young woman, inside her home.

“We believe he was in the apartment belonging to the victim when she arrived home, and then attacked her when she entered her own apartment,” he explained.

According to court documents, Pardon had previously served 24 years in prison for an aggravated robbery, rape and attempted murder conviction from 1982.

Given Pardon’s past, Anderson’s close friend said this murder never should have happened.

“He shouldn’t have been let out of jail, in the first place,” said Tina Kennedy. “He should have never had the chance to do this again.”

At the time of her death, Anderson was an aspiring funeral director, nearing the end of her apprenticeship with the Shaw-Davis Funeral Homes.

Colleagues said she was about to become the business’s first funeral director, not from the Shaw family.

Her body was discovered one day after her 24th birthday.

http://nbc4i.com/2018/02/20/man-accu...nalty-charges/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Accused murderer gets through security at state offices one day after woman is killed

BENNETT HAEBERLE
    10TV

COLUMBUS -- On the same day Rachael Anderson’s body was found in the closet of her Columbus apartment, Anthony Pardon traveled to the Riffe Center, where he attempted to meet with a state lawmaker about obtaining a state-issued ID, 10 Investigates has learned.

“Anthony Pardon was in the Riffe Center at around 10 a.m. on Jan. 29 asking to meet with State Representative Bernadine Kent. He went through all building security protocol, including the metal detector,” Department of Administrative Services Spokesman Tom Hoyt told 10 Investigates via email Wednesday.

Brad Miller, a spokesman for House Speaker Clifford Rosenberger, said: “From my understanding, he was seeking assistance in obtaining a state ID. As for any other specifics of the meeting, I would defer to Rep. Bernadine Kennedy Kent’s office.”

Thursday 10 Investigates spoke with Rep. Kent about security concerns and her questions about Pardon’s supervision.

Miller also said that Speaker Rosenberger first learned of the criminal allegations against Pardon on Feb. 12 and that “the House Sergeant-at-Arms office communicated with the Columbus Police Department, offering information and any other assistance to help in the pending investigation.”

10 Investigates first reported Tuesday that Pardon’s Georgia probation records indicate he should have been wearing an ankle monitor and pay for all expenses. ODRC has still not replied to several emails and phone calls seeking clarity on if Pardon was assigned an ankle monitor through ODRC and the Adult Parole Authority. Pardon moved back to Ohio last summer as part of an interstate compact between Ohio and Georgia. His 2007 conviction from Georgia on charges of forgery and failure to register as a sex offender meant he spent 10 years in prison there and was required to serve an additional 20 years on probation, which included requiring him to wear a GPS device.

Pardon has a lengthy criminal record, including a 1980 juvenile conviction for raping a 9-month old child and a 1982 conviction for attempted murder, robbery and rape. He served 24 years in prison in Ohio for that offense before his trouble in Georgia landed him back in prison there in 2007.

Prosecutors allege that Pardon entered Anderson’s apartment between Jan. 28 and 29 and attacked 24-year-old Anderson. The two did not know each other. Her body was found Jan. 29 by a family friend. Police say it appears she was tortured. Pardon pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges of aggravated murder, burglary, rape and kidnapping. If convicted he faces the death penalty.

This latest revelation about Pardon helps piece together a timeline that has not been revealed publicly by authorities. Court records detailing the charges against Pardon remain sealed.

https://www.10tv.com/article/accused...r-woman-killed
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Inside 10 Investigates: It’s happened again – but can we get the answers you deserve?

By Bennett Haeberle
    10TV News

COLUMBUS (WBNS) - It’s happened again.

We’ve heard that phrase mentioned several times over the past month – especially in wake of the tragic murders of two Westerville police officers or the tragic school shooting in Parkland, Florida that claimed 17 lives.

It’s happened again.

And it resurfaced in the past two weeks after 10 Investigates broke another story.

The story: a convicted sex offender, under the watch of a state of Ohio’s Adult Parole Authority, was arrested for the rape, kidnapping and murder of a young woman in Ohio.

Sound familiar?

I’m not referring to Brian Golsby, the convicted sex offender charged with the 2017 rape, kidnapping and murder of Ohio State student Reagan Tokes.

His trial begins next week. He’s pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The story I’m referring to involves Anthony Pardon, the second convicted sexual predator in a year to be charged with capital murder in Columbus. He’s accused of the rape, kidnapping and murder of 24-year old Rachael Anderson.

He too has pleaded not guilty.

And – like Golsby – his alleged crimes occurred while he was on probation and under the watch of the Adult Parole Authority and the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction.

Pardon, a convicted sex offender, spent nearly 25 years in state prison in Ohio for the attempted murder and rape of a woman in 1982.

In 2007, he was arrested and later convicted in Georgia of forgery and failure to register as a sex offender. Court records obtained by 10 Investigates show he spent nearly 10 years in prison in Georgia before coming back to Ohio in June of 2017 as part of interstate compact between the two states.

Those same Georgia court records show Pardon was supposed to be on probation through 2037 and wear a GPS ankle monitor and pay for all expenses.

But that never happened.

Pardon requested a transfer to Ohio while still serving out his prison term in Georgia, a Georgia corrections spokesman told 10 Investigates this week.

So even though the state of Georgia wanted Pardon to wear a GPS ankle monitor to track his whereabouts, he was never released from prison in Georgia and therefore never supervised by their parole officers.

If you recall, 10 Investigates spent the past year demanding answers on how Brian Golsby, a convicted sex offender, could be released from prison and assigned a GPS ankle monitor but not closely monitored.

Police say the data from the GPS ankle monitor was not checked until after his arrest for Tokes’ murder. And when authorities did check it, they say Golsby could be connected to a string of robberies in the weeks and days leading up to the murder of Reagan Tokes. It also linked him, police say, to the location in the park where Tokes’ body was found.

Now we find ourselves asking similar questions about the allegations surrounding Anthony Pardon.

Who was watching him? Was he assigned a GPS ankle monitor?

The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction will not tell us.

I first emailed a department spokeswoman twice on February 15th, a few days after Pardon’s arrest.

The first response: “Anthony Pardon was on probation through the interstate compact with Georgia.”

That didn’t answer my question. So, I wrote back again asking for answers:

Still no reply. I called several times. I emailed again on February 16th, February 20th, February 23rd.

Still no real clarity.

Then on February 27th, 12 days after my initial questions, I got this:

10 Investigates has since obtained records showing Pardon had been assigned a parole officer through the Adult Parole Authority when he arrived in Ohio in June. And Franklin County Jail records show that Pardon has been charged with a parole violation.

What is clear – the state of Georgia wanted Anthony Pardon to be outfitted with a GPS ankle monitor.

We just can’t seem to get you answers from Ohio.

That doesn’t mean we’ve stopped asking questions.

https://www.10tv.com/article/inside-...rs-you-deserve

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man accused in death-penalty case refuses to attend court hearing

By John Futty
    The Columbus Dispatch

A man who faces the death penalty if he’s convicted of raping and murdering a woman in her East Side apartment refused Tuesday to leave his holding cell and attend a hearing in his case.

Anthony J. Pardon, 53, accused Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O’Brien of inviting the media and the victim’s supporters to the hearing. He objected to the presence of TV cameras as well as family and friends of the victim in the courtroom, O’Brien said, despite laws that make courtrooms open to the public.

Common Pleas Judge Stephen L. McIntosh went into the holding cell adjacent to the courtroom with O’Brien and defense attorneys Larry Thomas and Isabella Dixon to speak with Pardon, who still refused to participate in the hearing.

“He expressed to judge that I was trying to turn it into a sideshow,” O’Brien said. “That was his word that he used.”

The hearing was set merely to allow the attorneys and judge to discuss the status of the case. A trial date has not been set.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/2018061...-court-hearing

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Trial reset for man in death of Warren native in Columbus

The Vindicator

COLUMBUS — The aggravated-murder trial of Anthony J. Pardon, 53, that was scheduled to begin today in Franklin County Common Pleas Court has been rescheduled for Oct. 10.

Pardon is accused of killing Warren native Rachel Anderson, 24, in Anderson’s apartment in Columbus on Jan. 29.

Anderson, a 2012 Warren G. Harding High School graduate, was working at a Columbus funeral home and was training to be a funeral director at the time of her death.

Pardon pleaded guilty in 1982 to attempted murder, aggravated assault and rape in Columbus and spent two decades in prison, then served another 10 years in prison for failing to notify Georgia officials that he had moved to that state.

Pardon could get the death penalty if convicted.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/jul/3...tive-columbus/
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

No trial for Anthony Pardon until next year

The Youngstown Vindicator

COLUMBUS - The trial of a Columbus man accused of raping, torturing and killing a young Warren woman in her Columbus apartment has been reset from today to April 5, 2019.

Hearings are now scheduled in Franklin County Common Pleas Court Dec. 4, 2018, and Feb. 4, 2019, according to online court records.

Anthony J. Pardon, 53, could get the death penalty if he’s convicted of some of the charges he faces in the death of Rachel Anderson, 24, a 2012 Warren G. Harding High School graduate found dead Jan. 29 in her closet.

Anderson was found after co-workers who went looking for when she didn’t report for work at a Columbus funeral home. Police said she died of asphyxiation.

Pardon spent 24 years in prison for an attempted murder, aggravated assault and rape he committed in Columbus in 1982. He also spent 10 years in prison for failing to notify Georgia officials that he had moved to that state.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/oct/1...til-next-year/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Capital case continues in Franklin County

Warren native murdered in January

By Renee Fox
    Tribune Chronicle

WARREN — The capital trial against the man accused of killing Warren native Rachael Anderson continues in Franklin County Common Pleas Court, where his attorneys have filed numerous motions, including asking the judge to prohibit photographs of the victim from being presented to a jury, according to court records.

Anderson, 24, was found dead by Columbus police on Jan. 29 inside a closet of her apartment on Allegheny Avenue after coworkers at Shaw-Davis Funeral Homes called police to report she had not arrived at work and they could not reach her by phone.

Anthony Pardon, 54, is charged with aggravated murder, aggravated burglary, aggravated robbery, kidnapping and rape, according to court records. He pleaded not guilty to the charges and is being held in the Franklin County Jail.

A trial is scheduled for April 5 in Franklin County Common Pleas Court.

Pardon previously spent 24 years in prison after a 1982 conviction for aggravated robbery, attempted murder, aggravated assault and rape, according to court records. The current charges against Pardon include repeat violent offender specifications on all charges and a sexually violent predator specification on the one count of rape.

Pardon’s attorneys, who declined to comment, have filed numerous motions in the last month, including a request for a change of venue and a request to prohibit victim impact evidence during the trial and mitigation stage. One motion requests the judge remove the possibility of the death penalty for the case.

The defense also filed a motion seeking a prohibition on showing photographs and other “tangible things” at the trial and a motion to exclude photographs of Anderson at the trial.

“The display to jurors of the admission of these gruesome photographs will be inflammatory and jeopardize (the) defendant’s right to a fair trial because of the significant risk that the jury will base their decision on emotional grounds which play no valid part in a criminal prosecution. The effect, then, would be to violate (the) defendant’s constitutional rights to due process, a fair trial, the right to confront evidence and the right to be free from arbitrary, cruel and unusual punishment,” the motion to exclude photographs of Anderson states.

Anderson was tortured, raped and strangled, according to police, who arrested Pardon after receiving the results of DNA evidence collected from Anderson’s apartment.

The cause of her death was a stab wound in her head and neck, the coroner’s report states. She had ligature marks across her neck and encircling her wrists and ankles, the report states.

One of the defense motions requests the judge instruct the jury to “consider mercy” in the mitigation phase, according to court records.

The judge has yet to enter judgment on the nearly 30 motions entered on the case in December.

Anderson was a 2012 graduate of Warren G, Harding High School, where she was in the National Honor Society and enjoyed playing soccer and volleyball, and was in the band. While still in high school, she worked at Macali’s Giant Eagle. She studied at Youngstown State University before transferring to the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science, where she earned her Bachelor of Mortuary Science Degree in 2016.

“Rachael will always be remembered and loved by her family and friends for her uniqueness, hard work, loving kindness, joy and infectious laughter. She had the ability to make a lasting impression on everyone she came in contact with and she could light up a room with her smile,” her obituary states.

She is buried in Pineview Memorial Park, Warren.

http://www.tribtoday.com/news/local-...anklin-county/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Capital case continues in Franklin County

Warren native murdered in January

“Rachael will always be remembered and loved by her family and friends for her uniqueness, hard work, loving kindness, joy and infectious laughter. She had the ability to make a lasting impression on everyone she came in contact with and she could light up a room with her smile,” her obituary states.
    That is nice, we can feel how much she was a good person.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information