Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikolas Jacob Cruz Sentenced to LWOP in 2018 FL Multiple Murders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nikolas Jacob Cruz Sentenced to LWOP in 2018 FL Multiple Murders

At least 2 killed in Broward County School shooting; shooter in custody

PARKLAND - The Broward County Sheriff's Office says a suspected shooter is in custody after gunfire sent students scrambling to school exits, caused terrified parents to try and contact their children and reports of multiple casualties.

Gunfire erupted near the end of the school day Wednesday afternoon at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.

The suspected shooter was taken into custody, then put into an ambulance and taken to a hospital. Sheriff Scott Israel said the shooter was believed to be a former student at the school. He was taken into custody without incident, Israel said. The Associated Press said the suspect was 18.

The Sheriff's Office said at least 14 people were taken to hospitals. Citing sources, CNN says there are two fatalities.

Israel said shots were fired both inside and outside the school.

He added that efforts were being made to reunite parents with their students.

"It's catastrophic. There really are no words," Israel said

At 4:11 p.m., the Broward County Sheriff's Office posted on Twitter that the shooter was in custody. Its first tweet about the shooting was at 2:53 p.m.

Television video showed students running from campus with their hands behind their heads. A police officer waved the students on, urging them to quickly evacuate. The students made their way out past helmeted police in camouflage with weapons drawn.

Ambulances converged on the scene as emergency workers appeared to be treating wounded people on the sidewalks.

Len Murray's 17-year-old son, a junior at the school, sent his parents a chilling text around 2:30pm: "Mom and Dad, there have been shots fired on campus at school. There are police sirens outside. I’m in the auditorium and the doors are locked."

A few minutes later, he texted again: "I'm fine."

The school is on Pine Island Road. Authorities are telling residents there to avoid the area of Stoneman Douglas High School.

Gov. Rick Scott has been briefed on the shooting, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation has responded.

Broward County Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie called what happened a horrific siutation.

"It is a horrible day for us," Runcie said.

The high school is a sprawling complex set on a tract in the South Florida community of Parkland, about 45 miles (70 kilometers) north of downtown Miami. The school cancelled after-school activities Wednesday night.

It's only February, and there have already been at least four shootings at middle and high schools in the United States so far this year. That's according to CNN.

Parkland was actually voted Florida's safest city last year. That's according to an analysis by the Washington-based National Council for Home Safety and Security.

The group said the south Florida city, with a population of 31,507, had only seven reported violent crimes and 186 property crimes the previous year.

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news...ting_repo.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

CNN is reporting 16 people dead.

Nikolas Cruz arrested in Parkland, Florida high school shooting

By Victor Morton
    The Washington Post

The teenager arrested in the fatal school shooting in Florida has been identified as a former Army JROTC member wielding an assault rifle.

According to the Herald, citing a “law-enforcement source,” Mr. Cruz is a former student who had been identified as a potential threat to the school.

“We were told last year that he wasn’t allowed on campus with a backpack on him,” said math teacher Jim Gard, who told the Herald that Mr. Cruz had been in his class last year.

“There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus,” the teacher told the Herald.

According to the U.K. Daily Mail, who also named Mr. Cruz, “police describe him as a student and a former member of the U.S. Army Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program.” The Associated Press later identified Mr. Cruz as the suspect also.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...a-high-school/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

The Broward County sheriff confirmed 17 people dead. The suspect was armed with a AR-15 rifle and had multiple magazines. Previously he attended this school but was expelled for behavior problems.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Shouldn't be hard to get a unanimous jury for this guy.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Florida School Shooting Suspect Charged With 17 Counts of Premeditated Murder

By Terry Spencer and Kelli Kennedy
    Time

PARKLAND, Fla. — An orphaned 19-year-old with a troubled past and an AR-15 rifle was charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder Thursday morning after being questioned for hours by state and federal authorities following the deadliest school shooting in the U.S. in five years.

Fourteen wounded survivors were hospitalized as bodies were recovered from inside and around Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Nikolas Cruz, still wearing a hospital gown after being treated for labored breathing, and weighing in at 5-foot-7 and 131 pounds, was ordered held without bond and booked into jail.

His former classmates thought they were having another drill Wednesday afternoon when a fire alarm sounded, requiring them to file out of their classrooms.

That’s when police say Cruz, equipped with a gas mask, smoke grenades and multiple magazines of ammunition, opened fire with a semi-automatic weapon, killing 17 people and sending hundreds of students fleeing into the streets. It was the nation’s deadliest school shooting since a gunman attacked an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, more than five years ago.

“Our district is in a tremendous state of grief and sorrow,” said Robert Runcie, superintendent of the school district in Parkland, about an hour’s drive north of Miami. “It is a horrible day for us.”

Authorities offered no immediate details about Cruz or his possible motive, except to say that he had been kicked out of the high school, which has about 3,000 students. Students who knew him described a volatile teenager whose strange behavior had caused others to end friendships with him.

Cruz’s mother Lynda Cruz died of pneumonia on Nov. 1 neighbors, friends and family members said, according to the Sun Sentinel . Cruz and her husband, who died of a heart attack several years ago, adopted Nikolas and his biological brother, Zachary, after the couple moved from Long Island in New York to Broward County.

The boys were left in the care of a family friend after their mother died, family member Barbara Kumbatovich, of Long Island, said.

Unhappy there, Nikolas Cruz asked to move in with a friend’s family in northwest Broward. The family agreed and Cruz moved in around Thanksgiving. According to the family’s lawyer, who did not identify them, they knew that
    Cruz owned the AR-15 but made him keep it locked up in a cabinet. He did have the key, however.

Jim Lewis said the family is devastated and didn’t see this coming. They are cooperating with authorities, he said.

Victoria Olvera, a 17-year-old junior at the school, said Cruz was expelled last school year because he got into a fight with his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend. She said he had been abusive to his girlfriend.

“I think everyone had in their minds if anybody was going to do it, it was going to be him,” she said.

Cruz was taken into custody without a fight about an hour after the shooting in a residential neighborhood about a mile away. He had multiple magazines of ammunition, authorities said.

“It’s catastrophic. There really are no words,” said Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel.

Frantic parents rushed to the school to find SWAT team members and ambulances surrounding the huge campus and emergency workers who appeared to be treating the wounded on sidewalks. Students who hadn’t run began leaving in a single-file line with their hands over their heads as officers urged them to evacuate quickly.

Hearing loud bangs as the shooter fired, many of the students inside hid under desks or in closets, and barricaded doors.

“We were in the corner, away from the windows,” said freshman Max Charles, who said he heard five gunshots. “The teacher locked the door and turned off the light. I thought maybe I could die or something.”

As he was leaving the building, he saw four dead students and one dead teacher. He said he was relieved when he finally found his mother.

“I was happy that I was alive,” Max said. “She was crying when she saw me.”

Noah Parness, a 17-year-old junior, said he and the other students calmly went outside to their fire-drill areas when he suddenly heard popping sounds.

“We saw a bunch of teachers running down the stairway, and then everybody shifted and broke into a sprint,” Parness said. “I hopped a fence.”

Most of the fatalities were inside the building, though some victims were found fatally shot outside, the sheriff said.

Sen. Bill Nelson told CNN that Cruz had pulled the fire alarm “so the kids would come pouring out of the classrooms into the hall.”

“And there the carnage began,” said Nelson, who said he was briefed by the FBI.

The scene was reminiscent of the Newtown attack, which shocked even a country numbed by the regularity of school shootings. The Dec. 14, 2012, assault at Sandy Hook Elementary School killed 26 people: 20 first-graders and six staff members. The 20-year-old gunman, who also fatally shot his mother in her bed, then killed himself.

Not long after Wednesday’s attack in Florida, Michael Nembhard was sitting in his garage on a cul-de-sac when he saw a young man in a burgundy shirt walking down the street. In an instant, a police cruiser pulled up, and officers jumped out with guns drawn.

“All I heard was ‘Get on the ground! Get on the ground!'” Nembhard said. He said Cruz did as he was told.

The school was to be closed for the rest of the week.

http://time.com/5159944/nikolas-cruz...hool-shooting/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Nikolas Cruz: A portrait of suspected Florida high school gunman who shot and killed 17 people

By Kathleen Joyce
    Fox News

Nikolas Cruz, who is accused of murdering 17 people in Wednesday’s Florida high school shooting, lived with two different families since his mother's death in November, had been expelled from the school he allegedly attacked and reportedly killed chickens and frogs -- sometimes posting the gruesome pictures of the dead animals on social media.

Cruz, who was adopted at birth along with his biological brother, appeared to have a tough time after his mother died a few months ago due to pneumonia, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported. Cruz's father died when he was younger.

The 19-year-old man, who was described as “weird” and a “loner,” was expelled from the same school he allegedly opened fire on Wednesday. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported Cruz was expelled for “disciplinary problems.”

"I think everyone had in their minds if anybody was going to do it, it was going to be him," said Victoria Olvera, a 17-year-old junior at the school.

Olvera said Cruz was expelled last school year because he got into a fight with his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend. She said he had been abusive to his girlfriend.

"I think everyone had in their minds if anybody was going to do it, it was going to be him."
    - Victoria Olvera
    Police said Cruz used an AR-15 and had multiple magazines on him during the shooting. Cruz’s attorney Jim Lewis said the firearm was legally purchased.

Cruz and his brother were left in the care of a family friend after their mother died in November, but he was reportedly unhappy at the new location and asked to move in with a friend’s family in northwest Broward.

The teen moved in with that family after his mother’s Nov. 1 death and was allowed to keep the AR-15 as long as it was locked in a safe, Lewis said.

“It was his gun,” Lewis said. “The family made him keep it in a locked gun cabinet in the house, but he had a key.”

The family said they never witnessed Lewis shooting the gun, but did see him with pellet guns.

Barbara Kumbatovich, the sister of Cruz’s mother, Lynda, said she heard the news at her home in Long Island, N.Y., and could not believe she knew the suspect. She told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel she only met Cruz once at a funeral when he was young.

“I know she had been having some issues with them, especially the older one. He was being a problem. I know he did have some issues and he may have been taking medication. [He] did have some kind of emotional or difficulties,” Kumbatovich said. “[Lynda] kept a really close handle on both boys. They were not major issues, as far as I know, just things teenagers do, like not coming home on time, maybe being disrespectful.”

After he moved in with the family friend in Palm Beach County, he was urged to get a job and attend adult education classes.

Janine Kartiganer, a former neighbor of Cruz, said the teen looked “very troubled.”

“He wore a hoodie and always had his head down,” she said. “He looked depressed.”

Emily Sucher, a junior at the high school, said she remembered Cruz as “an off kid” who “would smile weirdly, make weird comments.”

Another student, Trevor Hart, said Cruz “seemed like he really didn’t like school.” He also said the teen, who was enrolled in the Army ROTC at the school had “a bunch of weapons” and often spoke about killing small animals.

Mike Watford, who graduated from the high school in 2016, told BuzzFeed News that "something definitely pushed [the suspect]" before Wednesday's shooting.

Cruz often said "how tired he was of everyone picking on him and the staff doing nothing about it," Watford said.

A math teacher, Jim Gard, said Cruz was infatuated with a female student at the school “to the point of stalking her.” Gard also said he believed the school had sent out an email warning teachers that Cruz shouldn’t be allowed on campus with a backpack.

Officials did not immediately say why Cruz was expelled from the high school.

Shelby Speno, a former neighbor, said Cruz would shoot at their neighbor’s chickens and threw eggs at her husband’s car. She said Cruz’s mother “had her hands full.”

“I told my husband I was so glad they moved. I’m afraid he was the kind of kid who would do something crazy,” Shelby said. “The older he gets, the worse kind of trouble he got into.”

Other neighbors said police were called to Cruz’s house multiple times and the teen attempted to steal a bike from a neighbor’s garage.

Authorities are looking into the suspect’s “disturbing” social media posts, which appeared to include Cruz posing with guns.

“And some of the things that have come to mind are very, very disturbing,” Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said of the social media posts.

Israel said authorities have not determined a motive for the shooting.

Buzzfeed News reported a YouTube vlogger flagged a comment on one of his videos from a person named Nikolas Cruz that said: “I’m going to be a professional school shooter.” The vlogger, Ben Bennight, said he alerted the FBI to the comment last fall.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/15...17-people.html
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Quote Originally Posted by one_two_bomb View Post
    The gun control nuts are really hammering gov scott at the press conference on cnn.
    I think we can agree about the fact that the most school shootings happen in the US. I don´t see that more guns are a real solution. Most of the mass-shooters have serious mental problems and violent fanatasies so why is it such a problem to regulate the access to get a gun? It could be quiet easy - a nation wide registered-gun-owner database where doctors, teachers, sheriff/police, military ... add informations about registered gun owners and if someone shows some remarkable points like a depression, violence against people/animals, ... if one of the registered users is triggered he gets evaluated by a competent person and he has to remove the guns or not. This would be no problem for the majority of the gun owners which use their guns in they way they should be used. This couldn´t prevent all mass-shootins, but it could safe some people. The child-offender database is something similar and I think i´s widely accepted.
    No murder can be so cruel that there are not still useful imbeciles who do gloss over the murderer and apologize.

FLORIDA SHERIFF TELLS VIGIL: OFFICIALS ‘WILL NOT GET RE-ELECTED’ IF GUN LAWS STAY SAME

By ABC News Radio

PARKLAND, Fla. — Hundreds of people attended vigils remembering the 17 victims who were killed in a school shooting in Parkland, Florida, on Wednesday.

Several speakers took to an elevated stage to pray for those who died, the injured who are recovering in the hospital and the first responders and school staff who worked valiantly to keep them safe.

“We mourn for the potential that was lost — for the hopes, for the joys, for the dreams that will never be realized,” one speaker said of the young victims and the heroes who died while protecting the students.

Nearly every seat in the outdoor auditorium was filled, with an audience so large that it spilled onto the sidewalk on the other side of the fence separating the area.

Some members of the crowd nodded silently, while others cried with their hands buried in their faces, as numerous prayers were read.

Earlier in the day, 17 balloons were released during a vigil at the Parkland Baptist Church, one for each who was killed.

Multiple students were in attendance at a separate vigil at Parkridge Church in Pompano Beach, showing their support for their fallen classmates by wearing shirts emblazoned with an eagle, the school’s mascot.

Later in the evening, a candlelight vigil was held. The vigil lasted about an hour and included a solemn reading of the 17 people who were killed in the shooting.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel made pointed comments on gun control, saying, “If you are an elected official and you want to keep things the way they are and not do things differently, if you wanna keep the gun laws as they are now — you will not get re-elected in Broward County.”

The statements received a round of applause from the crowd.

Among the speakers at the evening event were Chicago Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo, who attended Stoneman Douglas High School and graduated in 2007.

“While I don’t have all the answers, I know that something has to change before this is visited on another community, and another community and another community,” Rizzo said.

“We don’t know who’s hiding their sadness or feelings of guilt and loneliness, or who needs help and is too proud or afraid to ask,” he added. “So we have to be there for each other, we have to cope with our pain, and we have to live each other’s pain.”

On Wednesday afternoon, a former student of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, allegedly opened fire on the school campus. In addition to those who died in the attack, more than a dozen people were injured, some critically.

Cruz, who has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder, appeared in court Thursday afternoon and is being held in the Broward County Jail without bond.

At the vigil, prayers were read for Cruz and his extended family as well.

“We ask that you would intervene in his disturbed mind and show him the hope that can only be found in you,” one speaker prayed, holding back tears. “We pray for your miraculous work to be evident in him, and in spite of him.”

http://kticradio.com/abc_national/fl...abcid36035191/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think we can agree about the fact that the most school shootings happen in the US. I don´t see that more guns are a real solution. Most of the mass-shooters have serious mental problems and violent fanatasies so why is it such a problem to regulate the access to get a gun? It could be quiet easy - a nation wide registered-gun-owner database where doctors, teachers, sheriff/police, military ... add informations about registered gun owners and if someone shows some remarkable points like a depression, violence against people/animals, ... if one of the registered users is triggered he gets evaluated by a competent person and he has to remove the guns or not. This would be no problem for the majority of the gun owners which use their guns in they way they should be used. This couldn´t prevent all mass-shootins, but it could safe some people. The child-offender database is something similar and I think i´s widely accepted.
    But, nothing is going to change unfortunately . Cruz is going to plea guilty, and in schools they'll continue to live in fear. Why we can't have a dp for Cruz, even with his plea.
    Last edited by CharlesMartel; 02-17-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: to finish my comment
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Billinsandiego
    Quote Originally Posted by one_two_bomb View Post
    Texas leaves it up to the school district to decide if teachers and other school staff can carry guns, and many districts allow it, and you don't hear about teachers shooting kids soooo.....

He's like 19 so that's unlikely but true that it's an uphill battle.
    No disrespect my friend, I have seen friendly fire from the most well trained human beings on this planet.

Moreover, has a airborne ranger we would practice the same mission over and over and over and over and over and over again (similar to law enforcement). Experts refer to this has muscle memory. I don't believe any school district in the U.S.A. want their teachers to train in this fashion. Please, leave it to the experts. Not weekend warriors hunting animals that don't shoot back while wearing florescent orange vests (whom I might add also get into accidents).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information