Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Kipkorir Chemirmir Sentenced to LWOP in 2018 TX Slayings

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    A spokeperson for Collin County DA said that their office will wait for the end of all Dallas' cases before deciding whether to seek death penalty or not for Chemirmir.
    Last edited by Mastro Titta; 11-20-2021 at 07:45 AM.

Billy Chemirmir re-trial date tentatively set for late April 2022

By Fox4News Staff

DALLAS - A new trial date has been set for accused serial killer Billy Chemirmir after his first trial in Dallas County ended with a mistrial.

Chemirmir is suspected of murdering 18 people and stealing their valuables. All but one victim were women.

The re-trial date has been tentatively set for April 25 with jury selection to begin on April 21.

A judge declared a mistrial in November when jurors, after 10 hours of deliberation, were deadlocked 11-1.

The case was based on circumstantial evidence, meaning there was no witness or DNA presented to the jury.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/billy-...ate-april-2022

Jury Selection Begins in Billy Chemirmir Capital Murder Retrial

Billy Chemirmir is charged with killing 18 older women, his first trial ended in a mistrial. Jury selection in his second trial begins Thursday.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/ju...l/2945731/?amp
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Suspected Dallas serial killer Billy Chemirmir guilty of capital murder

Billy Chemirmir is suspected in the smothering deaths of more than two dozen elderly women in Dallas and Collin counties and will spend the rest of his life in prison

By Krista M. Torralva and Charles Scudder
    The Dallas Morning News

A Dallas County jury Thursday found a suspected serial killer guilty of capital murder. Police say Billy Chemirmir preyed on elderly women in Dallas and Collin counties.

Chemirmir, who showed no visible reaction to the verdict, will spend the rest of his life in prison and could face additional trials. Police say Chemirmir smothered at least two dozen elderly women over two years, stealing their jewelry and other precious items. But jurors only heard about attacks on three women, and found Chemirmir is guilty of killing one of them, Lu Thi Harris.

The 81-year-old was found dead in her Dallas home in March 2018, after Chemirmir was arrested with jewelry and other items that belonged to her. The other two women are Mary Brooks, whose death in January 2018 was initially thought to be of natural causes but was changed after Chemirmir’s arrest, and Mary Bartel, who survived an attack in her retirement community apartment the day before Harris was killed.

Chemirmir, who has maintained he is innocent, did not testify. Chemirmir is a Kenyan immigrant with permanent resident status in the U.S. He stood with his arms crossed in front of him as state District Judge Raquel “Rocky” Jones sentenced him to life without the possibility of parole. Chemirmir patted one of his attorneys, Mark Watson, on the arm before being taken back to jail.

Family members of the women Chemirmir is accused of killing erupted in cheers after he was lead out of the courtroom. Dallas County District Attorney John Creuzot, who helped prosecute the case, sniffed and blinked back tears. He said that the DA’s office will next prosecute Chemirmir in Brooks’ slaying.

This is the second time a Dallas County jury has considered the case. A trial in November ended in a mistrial after one juror refused to budge, according to notes sent to the judge from that jury. This week, jurors heard testimony over four days.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys rested their cases in the new trial Thursday morning and presented their closing statements in the afternoon. The jury began deliberations about 3:33 p.m. Jurors, who reached a verdict in about 45 minutes, declined to comment as they left the courtroom. Chemirmir’s attorneys said they have already filed a notice they will appeal.

Chemirmir was automatically be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole because prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty. Jurors may also consider the charge of theft.

Circumstantial case

The new jury heard much of the same evidence that jurors heard in November.

The case against Chemirmir is circumstantial, prosecutors have said. But they believe the totality of the evidence shows Chemirmir had a pattern of smothering elderly women and stealing their jewelry to sell for profit.

“This idea that circumstantial evidence equals weak evidence is stuff of movies and books ... but it’s not real,” Creuzot said to jurors in closing arguments.
    Jurors saw video surveillance footage from a Walmart on Coit and Arapaho roads on three separate days, including the day of Harris’ death.

On that day, March 20, 2018, the video shows Chemirmir and Harris in the store at the same time.

Defense lawyers challenged the video evidence by pointing out Harris arrived at Walmart nearly 40 minutes before Chemirmir and footage does not appear to show the two to speak with each other. Chemirmir drove out of the parking lot about two minutes before Harris, defense lawyer Kobby Warren pointed out.

Prosecutors sought to prove Chemirmir had a pattern of choosing victims at Walmart. Surveillance footage from another day showed Chemirmir standing outside the same Walmart in dark slacks, a white shirt and a blue tie with a phone to his ear, watching the parking lot intently. But a cell phone analyst testified that Chemirmir’s phone showed no record of incoming or outgoing calls during the time he loitered in the Walmart, suggesting that he pretended to be on the phone.

Prosecutors also showed Walmart footage from Jan. 30 – the day Mary Brooks was killed. A silver Nissan Altima parked next to Brooks’ car but the driver never got out. The car, which resembled the one Chemirmir drove, left when Brooks did. The footage never showed a license plate number or the driver.

Under prosecutors’ questioning, the cell phone analyst testified that Chemirmir’s records placed him in the area of the Walmart at the same time. But defense lawyers tried to cast doubt on the reliability of cell phone towers and the large swath of area they cover.

The defense’s strategy was also similar to the last trial. Defense lawyers Kobby Warren and Phillip Hayes cross examined the state’s witnesses more often, but like in the first trial they did not make an opening statement and they did not call any witnesses.

“In a criminal case, the most important thing that the state has to do is prove to you all that the person they’re accusing was at the scene ... They can’t place him there,” Warren said in closing arguments of Harris’ house.

Differences in strategy

Much about the two trials was the same. But prosecutors changed the order of witnesses and did not show some evidence that was a major part of the last trial.

The case they presented this week was largely chronological, placing witnesses in an order that showed how the investigation developed from the attack on Bartel, to Chemirmir’s arrest, to the discovery of Harris’ body, to the reinvestigation of Brooks’ death.

There were also subtle differences in how evidence was presented to jurors, like when lead prosecutor Glen Fitzmartin showed a photograph of Harris on a projector. The prosecutor then laid jewelry on top of the photo that

Chemirmir had when he was arrested to show how it matched the items Harris wore in the photo.

“All of this stuff is actually not stuff. It’s evidence. It’s evidence of the guilt of Billy Chemirmir in the death of Lu Thi Harris,” Fitzmartin said forcefully in his closing argument. The prosecutor walked to the opposite side of the table where Chemirmir sat, looked down at him and pointed his finger.

Prosecutors did not show jurors video of Chemirmir’s interview with police officers from Dallas and Plano the night he was arrested.

In that hours long video watched by the first jury, Chemirmir denied involvement in either women’s deaths. He remained polite throughout the interview, and appeared surprised to be accused of murder. He told police he thought he was being questioned for an outstanding warrant for public intoxication.

“I just can’t believe this,” Chemirmir said. “Where I come from, our culture, we don’t even think about that. ... I didn’t murder anybody.”

Prosecutors might not have chosen to play the video in the re-trial because it created doubt in jurors’ minds that Chemirmir was guilty, said Robbie McClung, a defense lawyer and former prosecutor not involved in the case.

Defense lawyers attempted to get the video in, to no avail. Rules that lawyers must abide by prevent the defense from entering what is considered a self-serving statement because it takes away the prosecution’s ability to cross-examine the person.

“I think that was probably the downfall for them the last time. I think that’s what hung the jury,” McClung said. “It left some of the jurors wondering ‘Could it possibly be that he didn’t do it and we’ve got the wrong person?’”
    McClung said.

“That was a strategic move. The only way he would get his story out is if he took the stand,” McClung said.

Looking ahead

On the heels of the November mistrial, Creuzot said his office was committed to trying Chemirmir for the deaths of Harris and Brooks.

Collin County prosecutors also have five indictments against Chemirmir for deaths there. Creuzot said he and Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis agreed Dallas County will try its cases first.

After Creuzot said last year he would not seek the death penalty, lawmakers and families of Chemirmir’s alleged victims called on Willis to do so. The Collin County DA’s office has declined to comment on the case.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2022/04/28/dallas-county-jury-deliberating-whether-suspected-serial-killer-is-guilty-of-capital-murder/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Chemirmir indicted on 4 new counts of capital murder, bringing total up to 22

Suspected serial killer Billy Chermirmir has been indicted on four new counts of capital murder, bringing the total number of indictments up to 24 - 22 of which are for capital murder per Andrea Lucia.

Lucia reported that the new cases attributed to Chermirmir are those of Helen Lee, Marilyn Bixler, Diane Delahunty, and Mamie Dell Miya.

https://www.audacy.com/krld/news/loc...capital-murder
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Chemirmir indicted on 4 new counts of capital murder, bringing total up to 22

Suspected serial killer Billy Chermirmir has been indicted on four new counts of capital murder, bringing the total number of indictments up to 24 - 22 of which are for capital murder per Andrea Lucia.

Lucia reported that the new cases attributed to Chermirmir are those of Helen Lee, Marilyn Bixler, Diane Delahunty, and Mamie Dell Miya.

https://www.audacy.com/krld/news/loc...capital-murder
    Are these new cases in Collin County or Dallas County? Still nobody seeking the death penalty for this guy? Frankly, I'm appalled.
    Last edited by Mastro Titta; 06-28-2022 at 02:36 PM.

They are in both. Mamie Miya was killed in Dallas County and Diane Delahunty was killed in Collin County

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Trial to begin for man accused of killing 22 elderly Texans

By JAMIE STENGLE, Associated Press

DALLAS — A man charged with killing 22 women in the Dallas area is set to be tried in the death of one of them after being convicted of capital murder in the death of another earlier this year.

The capital murder trial of Billy Chemirmir, 49, in the death of 87-year-old Mary Brooks is scheduled to begin Monday in Dallas. He received a sentence of life in prison without parole after being found guilty in April in the smothering death of 81-year-old Lu Thi Harris. If convicted in Brooks' death, he'll receive a second sentence of life in prison without parole. He maintains his innocence.

His first trial in Harris’ death ended in a mistrial last November when the jury deadlocked.

In the years following his arrest in 2018, police across the Dallas area reexamined the deaths of other older people that had been considered natural — even though families raised alarm bells about missing jewelry. Four indictments were added this summer.

Dallas County prosecutors decided to seek two life sentenced rather than the death penalty when he tried Chemirmir on two of the 13 capital murder cases against him in the county. Prosecutors in neighboring Collin County haven’t said if they will try any of their nine capital murder cases against Chemirmir.

Chemirmir’s arrest was set in motion in March 2018 when a woman who was 91 at the time told police that a man had forced his way into her apartment at an independent living community for seniors, tried to smother her with a pillow and took her jewelry.

Police said when they found Chemirmir the next day in the parking lot of his apartment complex. He was holding jewelry and cash, and had just thrown away a large red jewelry box. Documents in the box led them to the home of Harris, who was found dead in her bedroom, lipstick smeared on her pillow.

In a video interview with police, Chemirmir told a detective that he made money buying and selling jewelry and had also worked as a caregiver and a security guard.

Most of the people Chemirmir is accused of killing lived in apartments at independent living communities for older people. The women he’s accused of killing in private homes include the widow of a man he had cared for while working as an at-home caregiver.

https://www.wral.com/trial-to-begin-...xans/20504106/

After this trial is over, the ball will be in Collin County DA's court. Let's all hope he does the right thing.

He sent Brandon McCall to death row so there’s no reason to not seek it here

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information