Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Vrba Sentenced to LWOP in 2017 MO Murder of Joseph M. Steinfeld

Andrew Vrba Sentenced to LWOP in 2017 MO Murder of Joseph M. Steinfeld

Joseph M. Steinfeld

September 26, 2017

Gruesome details of transgender teen’s Ozarks slaying emerge as four are charged

By Max Londberg
    The Kansas City Star

The details of a transgender teen’s gruesome killing have shocked a Missouri community and sparked speculation that it was a hate crime. The victim had come out earlier this year.

Ally Steinfeld, 17, was stabbed and her mutilated body was burned earlier this month at a residence in Cabool, Mo., in the Ozarks, police say. Three people have been charged with murder. One other faces less severe charges.

“I still don’t know who in their right minds would do something like that,” said Linda Camara, who is close friends with one of Steinfeld’s cousins. “Killing someone is very bad, but I mean to do it ... oh my God, to do it like that.

Just ... I ... I ... oh, God. I just can’t even see someone doing that.”

Camara told The Star that she believes Steinfeld’s gender identity played a role in the killing.

Steinfeld was 17 and had posted on social media accounts that she was trans.

According to the police probable cause statement:

Andrew Vrba, 18, admitted to stabbing Steinfeld in the living room of a friend’s residence. The friend, 24-year-old Briana Calderas, and 18-year-old Isis Schauer were also present and helped burn Steinfeld’s body, according to Vrba’s statements to police.

All three are charged with first-degree murder, abandonment of a corpse and armed criminal action.

Vrba originally attempted to poison Steinfeld, he told police, but she did not drink the liquid, “so he used a knife instead.”

Vrba told police that he had bragged about the brutal killing, going into detail with friends about how he gouged out Steinfeld’s eyes and stabbed her in the genitals.

A search of the residence led to the discovery of human remains in a burn pile and in a plastic bag nearby. Blood was discovered on the living room carpet, police said.

A fourth person, James Grigsby, 25, has been charged with abandonment of a corpse and tampering with physical evidence, both felonies.

“Grigsby stated that Vrba told him he had tortured and killed Steinfeld and that Calderas had asked for his (Grigsby’s) assistance with disposing of the remains,” court documents state, adding that Grigsby admitted to detectives that he went to the residence with the other three, placed burnt human remains into a plastic sack and hid them near a shed.

All four alleged perpetrators are being held without bond.

Steinfeld had posted on Instagram in May that she was coming out.

“I am mtf I hope all u guys support me,” she wrote. MTF stands for male-to-female and is used to describe a trans woman or girl.

She also posted drawings of gender symbols that indicated she was transitioning to female.

She continued to use her birth name, Joseph Matthew Steinfeld, as her primary name on Facebook, but she included the name “Ally Lee Steinfeld” on her account.

On Instagram, she identified as “allyleesteinfeld.”

Human Rights Campaign and intomore.com posted that media outlets had misgendered Steinfeld, originally identifying her as male.

On Steinfeld’s Facebook page, some friends posted condolences. In one thread, Steinfeld was at times referred to as male. Others corrected them.

In court records, Steinfeld is also referred to as male.

Steinfeld was reported missing by family on Sept. 1. The slaying occurred two days later.

Detectives made contact with Vrba and Schauer last week, and charges were filed Thursday.

While Steinfeld was still considered missing, her mother regularly posted a missing person poster to Facebook.

“My heart breaking in two,” Amber Steinfeld wrote. “Please help me.”

She and Ally Steinfeld’s father, Joe Steinfeld, have posted since charges were filed. Amber Steinfeld wrote that she believes justice will be served.

“I miss you Joey dad loves you,” Joe Steinfeld wrote. “May u rip in peace.”

Others posted condolences on social media.

“I’m sorry that hatred has led to this yet again,” David Delcour wrote on Facebook. “I don’t know your family. But to your family I say this. You are loved and you are being hugged from a distance right now. We will not let this happen again. The hatred must stop. My heart breaks right now for you, as it does for your family.”

Neither the sheriff nor the prosecuting attorney of Texas County, who are handling the case, were immediately available for comment.

But Texas County Sheriff James Sigman made a Facebook post on the Office’s page, in which he criticized media outlets for including the gruesome details of Ally’s killing.

“I know the family of the victim was very upset for they did not know the full details of how their loved passed because I did not disclose that information to them for many reasons,” Sigman wrote. “Our investigation is still ongoing and details of the crime like that should not be released to the public.”

Sigman also wrote, “As usual in homicide cases it is hard to make (sense) of the reason or figure out why people do the things that they do.”

In response to the post, Cathy Armstrong-Farr called what happened to Steinfeld a hate crime and expressed hope that it would be charged as such.

Probable cause statements make no mention of the fact that Steinfeld was trans and whether that was a factor in the slaying.

Pam Osborn wrote the community is in shock by the horrific details.

“I pray we all can come together & give support wherever it is needed,” Osborn wrote.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local...175459621.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Prosecutor will seek death penalty in murder

By Houston Herald

The Texas County prosecutor will seek the death penalty for one of four persons accused in the brutal death of a teenager last year north of Cabool that drew national attention.

Parke Stevens Jr. announced his intention to seek the sentence against Andrew Vrba in a court filing Monday in Crawford County Circuit Court, where the case is expected to be heard on a change of venue. A trial date could be set as early as Tuesday, when it appears on a docket.

Vrba, 18, is charged with first-degree murder, armed criminal action and abandonment of a corpse in the September death of Joseph M. Steinfeld, who went by “Ally” and planned to transition to a female, according to family members. Authorities allege the victim was stabbed and the remains burned.

Stevens’ decision also will likely trigger the involvement of a special prosecutor from the Missouri attorney general’s death penalty case team. Vrba is defended by the Missouri public defender system.

Three other defendants are charged in the stabbing death of Steinfeld:

• Isis Schauer, 18, entered a guilty plea to second-degree murder and abandonment of a corpse. She was sentenced to 20 years on the murder count and four years on the second charge in December. The terms are to run concurrently in the Missouri Department of Corrections.

• Briana Calderas, 24, also is charged with first-degree murder, armed criminal action and abandonment of a corpse. A pre-trial conference is June 19 in Pulaski County, where her case will be heard. The trial is Oct. 9-12.

• A fourth person, James Grigsby, of Thayer, 25, is accused of abandonment of a corpse and tampering with evidence.

https://www.houstonherald.com/news/p...9e11e1446.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

AG’s office joins county death penalty case

By Houston Herald

The Missouri attorney general’s office will join the prosecution of a Houston man whose punishment could be the death penalty.

Circuit Judge Sidney Pearson approved the inclusion of an assistant attorney general in the prosecution of Andrew J. Vrba, 18, who is charged with first-degree murder, armed criminal action and abandonment of a corpse in the September death of Joseph M. Steinfeld, who went by “Ally” and planned to transition to a female, according to family members. Authorities allege the victim was stabbed and the remains burned.

The approval of state help is routine in death penalty cases.

https://www.houstonherald.com/news/a...5efe245cb.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Trial date set for man held in Texas County murder

By Houston Herald

A Thayer man will stand trial beginning July 26 in Texas County in connection with a brutal murder northeast of Cabool.

James Grigsby, 25, is charged with abandonment of a corpse and tampering with physical evidence in a September 2017 crime that resulted in the death of Ally Steinfeld, 17. Grigsby was one of four persons charged in the crime after burnt remains were found at the residence of Briana Calderas, 25, who is awaiting trial with Andrew Vrba, 19, of Houston.

Both are charged with first-degree murder. The death penalty will be sought in the Vrba case, Texas County Prosecutor Parke Stevens Jr. decided earlier.

Late last year, Isis Schauer, 18, entered a guilty plea to second-degree murder and abandonment of a corpse. She received a 20-year sentence.

The case received nationwide attention after the victim’s family said Steinfeld was transgender and transitioning to a female.

The Grigsby trial is expected to last two days. A pre-trial meeting is planned for July 3.

https://www.houstonherald.com/news/t...6bed6150a.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Related:

Calderas set for trial in February

By Houston Herald

A Cabool woman accused of participating in a murder at her residence will stand trial Feb. 25-March 1 in Pulaski County, a judge decided Tuesday.

Briana Calderas is charged with first-degree murder, armed criminal action and abandonment of a corpse and could face life in prison, if convicted. She is held without bond.

A pre-trial conference is slated for 9 a.m. Dec. 5 in Texas County Circuit Court.

Calderas was among four charged in the September 2017 death of Joseph Steinfeld, 17, who went by Ally and was transitioning to female, according to relatives. Two co-defendants, James Grigsby and Andrew Vrba, are awaiting trial. Another person, Isis Schauer, entered a guilty plea but is seeking to have her 20-year sentence set aside.

https://www.houstonherald.com/news/c...972e80ee3.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Related:

2nd guilty plea in transgender teen's grisly slaying in Missouri

By CBS News

CABOOL, Mo. -- A second person charged in connection with the slaying of a transgender teenager in southwest Missouri has pleaded guilty. CBS affiliate KOLR reports 25-year-old James Thomas Grigsby, of Thayer, pleaded guilty Tuesday to abandonment of a corpse. Grigsby was accused of helping three other people dispose of the body of 17-year-old Ally Steinfeld, of rural Texas County, Missouri, in September 2017.

Steinfeld's mutilated and burned remains were found in September in Cabool, about 70 miles east of Springfield.

Investigators say she was stabbed several times, including in the genitals. Her eyes were gouged out and her body was set on fire. The Texas County sheriff and prosecutor say have insisted the killing was not a hate crime, but it drew attention of transgender advocates and others across the U.S. who believe Steinfeld was targeted for her gender identity.

Grigsby was sentenced to four years in prison. Two other people, Andrew Vrba and Briana Calderas, await trial on first-degree murder charges.

According to court documents obtained by KOLR, Vrba allegedly tried to kill Steinfeld with poison, but the victim would not consume the substance, so he fatally stabbed her. He also allegedly bragged to friends about the slaying.

Calderas is accused of assisting in the murder and disposal of the body, KOLR reports.

Another person charged – Isis Schauer – pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in December and was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Steinfeld had been began dating Calderas, the victim's mother has said, and the couple had been living at Calderas' mobile home with Vrba and Schauer.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ally-st...risly-slaying/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Case reviewed in Vrba murder charges

By Houston Herald

The case of a 19-year-old Houston man charged with first-degree murder was reviewed last week in Steelville.

Andrew J. Vrba is charged with murder, armed criminal action and abandonment of a corpse in the September 2017 death of Joseph M. Steinfeld, who went by “Ally” and planned to transition to a female, according to family members. Authorities allege the victim was stabbed and the remains burned.

If convicted, Vrba could face the death penalty. His case is being held in Crawford County on a change of venue.

Circuit Judge Sindney Pearson III ruled that that court proceedings will be recorded.

No trial date has been set.

Two other defendants were previously sentenced, and another, Briana Calderas, still faces a trial. A pre-trial conference is Dec. 5. A trial in Pulaski County is Feb. 25-March 1. She is charged with first-degree murder, armed criminal action and abandonment of a corpse.

https://www.houstonherald.com/news/c...ebb46ce34.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Andrew Vrba hearing Nov. 5

By Scott Hamilton
    The Licking News

Andrew Vrba, of Houston, returned to court on Nov. 5, before Presiding Judge Sidney T. Pearson III in Circuit Court of Crawford County in Steelville. Charges include First Degree Murder, Armed Criminal Action, and
    Abandonment of a Corpse in the Sept. 2017 killing of 17-year-old Ally Steinfeld just north of Cabool. Vrba filed three motions in the hearing through his attorney Thomas Jacquinot.

Motion 1, a Motion To Dismiss Death Penalty Statutory Aggravator, cited the broadness of Missouri Statutory Aggs being overly broad. Parke Stevens, Prosecuting Attorney Texas County and Kevin Michael Zoellner, Special
    Prosecuting Attorney, Office of the Attorney General both objected to the motion. It is pending for the next hearing.

A Motion To Appear in Civilian Attire and Without Restraints during court appearances pre-trial was heard. The defense cited 12 references to the case which, Jacquinot argued, painted a bad picture of Andrew in the public eye and made it difficult to find an impartial jury. The list of cited references include:

1. a color photo of Andrew posted on CNN,
    2. KY3 website,
    3. KY3 Facebook page posting on September 22, 2017 which links to item number 2,
    4. New York Post website image,
    5. Texas County Sheriff’s Facebook page official posting,
    6. News-Leader article #1 Sept 25, 2017,
    7. News-Leader Article #2 Dec. 21, 2017,
    8. News-Leader article #3 April 3, 2018,
    9. Kansas City Star Article #1 Sept 26, 2017, and
    10. Kansas City Star Article #2 Sept 29, 2017.

The additional two references were not announced, and these ten are classified at a security level three and will not be made public by the court system.

Judge Pearson asked Jacquinot how these photos and future photos of Vrba would negatively impact the case. Jacquinot argued the ongoing media coverage in light of the high profile of the case would affect the jury opinion of Vrba. Stevens countered that the evidence supplied by the defense showed the damage was already done, and passing this motion would not reverse the damage. Judge Pearson reviewed it and later overruled and denied the motion.

A Motion For Pretrial Mediation was the third motion heard. Judge Pearson and the prosecutors acknowledged two options: life without parole and the death penalty, and Vrba had rejected a plea bargain for life without parole so there would be no need for pretrial mediation. Defense attorney Jacquinot argued that two other defendants in the same case were offered life with the possibility of parole and that it should be considered, due to the young age of Vrba and this being a first offense. Judge Pearson issued his decision after the hearing and overruled and denied the motion.

Judge Pearson also recommended a change of venue to a larger facility (possibly the Phelps County Circuit Court). Both the prosecution and defense were asked to consider it for discussion at the next hearing, Dec. 3 at 9:00 a.m.

http://www.thelickingnews.com/in-the-news/andrew-vrba-hearing-nov-5/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Local death penalty case moved to Greene County

A Texas County death penalty case will be heard in Greene County, a judge in Steelville determined Monday.

Andrew J. Vrba, 19, of Houston, is charged with 1st-degree murder, armed criminal action and abandonment of a corpse in the September death of Joseph M. Steinfeld, 17, who went by “Ally” and planned to transition to a female, according to family members. Authorities allege the victim was stabbed and the remains burned.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty in the case.

No trial date has been set.

2 other defendants were previously sentenced, and another, Briana Calderas, still faces a trial. A pre-trial conference was Wednesday in her case. A trial in Pulaski County is Feb. 25-March 1. She also is charged with 1st-degree murder, armed criminal action and abandonment of a corpse.

(source: Houston Herald)

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Related:

Calderas trial formally moved, slated to start in February

By Ed Button
    Ozark Radio News

HOUSTON, Mo. — The trial of a Cabool woman charged in connection with the murder of a transgender teenager that took place at her residence has been moved.

Online court records state a change of venue to Pulaski County for Briana Calderas was formally approved in Texas County Circuit Court on December 21. She faces charges of 1st degree murder, armed criminal action, and abandonment of a corpse.

Her trial is scheduled to begin February 25.

Calderas was one of four people charged in the September 2017 death of 17-year-old Ally Steinfeld, a teenager whose remains were discovered at Calderas’ mobile home near Cabool.

Authorities say that Steinfeld’s genitals were mutilated and her eyes were gouged out. Despite the seemingly personal nature of the crime, Texas County authorities did not treat the killing as a hate crime.

Another defendant in the case, Andrew Vrba, is awaiting trial and recently received a change of venue. Two others have been sentenced in the case.

https://www.ozarkradionews.com/local...rt-in-february

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information