Thread: Maurice Manuel Sims Found Not Guilty in 2013 NV Murders of Anthony Anderson and Evin Russell

Maurice Manuel Sims Found Not Guilty in 2013 NV Murders of Anthony Anderson and Evin Russell

February 13, 2013

Four indicted in home invasion, double homicide

By Lynnette Curtis
    The Las Vegas Review-Journal

A Clark County grand jury indicted four people Wednesday on murder and other charges in connection with the fatal shooting of two men in a home invasion gone wrong.

Sasha Williams, 20, Maurice Sims, 22, Brandon Range, 23, and Da Ron Morris, 28, were charged in the Jan. 8 deaths of Anthony Anderson and Evin Russell at the Harbor Island Apartments, on East Harmon Avenue near Paradise Road.

According to police reports, Williams and three men broke into one of the apartments to get a television she believed she was owed. They also took other electronics.

The group’s plan disintegrated when Anderson fought back. That is when he and Russell were killed.

A third apartment resident, Laurice Brightman, was shot in the buttocks. He jumped out a window to escape, police said.

Brightman later gave detectives information that helped police arrest Sims, Range and Williams on Jan. 9. Morris was arrested a few days later.

Brightman told police “Sasha” was an acquaintance who showed up with three men about 8 p.m. Brightman refused to let them in, but the group showed guns and shoved their way in.

Police learned Williams had a boyfriend, Sims.

When police interviewed Williams, she changed her story several times but implicated Sims and Range in the crimes.

She consistently told investigators she was at the apartment to “collect a debt” and “collect a TV that was owed to her.”

When police interviewed Sims, he said “things got crazy” in the apartment but wouldn’t elaborate.

Range told police he knew Sims and Williams but didn’t know the third man.

He told detectives that once at the apartment complex, Sims pulled guns from the car trunk. Range told police he decided to enter the apartment unarmed.

Sims and the third man were armed during the incident, Range said.

The four defendants face 10 charges in the indictment including two counts of murder with a deadly weapon, one count of attempted murder with a deadly weapon, three counts of robbery with a deadly weapon and one count of burglary while in possession of a firearm.

The indictment also charges Range and Sims with possession of a firearm by an ex-felon.

Sims and Morris also face charges of conspiracy to commit battery and battery with a deadly weapon in a separate Jan. 4 incident.

District Judge Linda Bell accepted the indictment. The defendants were being held without bail and face arraignment Feb. 21.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/f...uble-homicide/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Opening statements begin in Death Penalty Trial

Opening statements today 10a in the Maurice Sims death penalty trial before Judge Doug Herndon.

https://twitter.com/LasVegasCourts/s...76667069444096
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Closing Arguments Set for Thursday

Closing arguments for Maurice Sims' capital murder case will get underway Thurs 1pm before Judge Doug Herndon.

https://twitter.com/LasVegasCourts

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Jury Continues Deliberations in Sims Murder Trial

Jury will return 4/16 10 am to continue deliberations in Maurice Sims capital murder case before Judge Doug Herndon

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Trial Rescheduled

A trial setting is set for 5/23 9 am

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Trial Rescheduled

His trial is scheduled to start 9/14 9 a.m. before Judge Herndon.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Jury selection underway

Jury selection is underway for the murder trial of Maurice Sims charged w 13 counts incl 2 cts murder. Openings are expected to get underway early this week before Judge Doug Herndon

Update:

Testimony is will resume today before Judge Doug Herndon for the murder trial of Maurice Sims charged w 13 counts incl 2 cts murder.

https://twitter.com/LasVegasCourts/s...29619324362752
    Last edited by aljazres; 09-19-2018 at 05:47 AM.

Maurice Sims Found Not Guilty

A jury returned a verdict of not guilty of murder for Maurice Sims. He was found guilty of 1 count burglary while in possession of a firearm.

Jury to return at 1 pm to deliberate charge of ex-felon in possession of a firearm before Judge Doug Herndon.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information