Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ricky Allen Dubose - Georgia

Georgia prison inmate accused of killing two corrections officers in 2017 heads to court

Ricky Dubose is one of the two inmates accused of killing two corrections officers in Putnam County in 2017. It spawned a manhunt across the Southeast

By 13WMAZ.com News Staff

PUTNAM COUNTY, Ga. — Editor's Note: The video in the story is from Donnie Rowe's trial in September 2021.

The case of the second Georgia prison inmate accused of killing two corrections officers over four years ago heads back to court Friday.

Prosecutors and lawyers for Ricky Dubose are scheduled to argue pre-trial motions in his case.

That hearing is set to start at 9 a.m. in Putnam County Superior Court in Eatonton.

Back in September, a jury convicted Donnie Rowe of charges including felony and malice murder. But they could not agree on whether to give him the death penalty.

Now, Rowe is serving life without the possibility of parole.

Dubose faces the same charges.

Prosecutors say the two men killed guards Curtis Billue and Christopher Monica aboard a prison bus in Putnam County in the summer of 2017.

Dubose's trial is scheduled for this upcoming May.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...1-767e44979a8f
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Prison inmate Ricky Dubose accused of killing two corrections officers in 2017 goes back to court

The hearing is Wednesday morning at the Putnam County Superior Court

By 13WMAZ Staff

PUTNAM COUNTY, Ga. — The case of the second Georgia prison inmate accused of killing two corrections officers over four years ago goes back to court Wednesday.

Earlier this month, prosecutors and lawyers for Ricky Dubose argued pre-trial motions in his case.

Putman Sheriff Howard Sills says the defense is expected to object the make up of the jury pool.

The hearing starts at 9 a.m. in Putnam County Superior Court in Eatonton.

Back in September, a jury convicted Donnie Rowe of charges including felony and malice murder.

Rowe is now serving life without the possibility of parole.

Dubose faces the same charges.

Prosecutors say the two men killed guards Curtis Billue and Christopher Monica aboard a prison bus in Putnam County in the summer of 2017.

Dubose's trial is scheduled for this upcoming may.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...b-22f90476a13a
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Defense argues Ricky Dubose exempt from death penalty in 2017 prison guard murders due to intellectual disability

Dubose is set to go to trial in May of this year

By Caleesha Moore
    13 WMAZ News

EATONTON, Ga. — Ricky DuBose is accused of killing two Putnam County prison guards almost 5 years ago. On Tuesday, he had a pretrial hearing where his legal team argued he has an intellectual disability that should take the death penalty off the table.

The defense and prosecution took turns examining experts and a witness about the state of Dubose's mental health.

Dr. Matthew Norman, a forensic psychiatrist, was first on the stand, saying it would be hard to put a precise label on Dubose's mental abilities.

“I could come up with a hypothetical where, clinically, I could have an opinion to a reasonable degree of medical certainty that someone is intellectually disabled. I could not state that opinion to beyond a reasonable doubt," Norman explained.

As the defense worked to prove that attention deficit was one of Dubose's disorders, the prosecution tried to poke holes in the findings.

"Everyone can be inattentive regardless of whether they meet the criteria of ADHD, right?” the prosecution asked. “Well, that is correct -- we are all on an attention spectrum, for sure, that's true, yes," Norman answered.

Defense also called Dr. Robert Frey, a psychologist who has worked in the prison system for 50 years and talked about testing for intellectual disabilities.

“If you administer the test to a small population, the test could still be valid and could still be reliable," he explained.

Just like Donnie Rowe, his co-defendant who is now serving life in prison, Dubose faces charges including felony and malice murder.

Donnie Rowe was found guilty last September but the jury could not agree on giving him the death penalty. Dubose's trial is scheduled for May in Eatonton.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...1-78f2f355345c

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

'It's taken a remarkably long time': Jury selection begins in Ricky Dubose death penalty trial

Corrections officers Curtis Billue and Christopher Monica were shot aboard a prison bus while driving inmates through Putnam County in June 2017

By Caleesha Moore
    13 WMAZ News

PUTNAM COUNTY, Ga. — We're coming up on what could be the last chapter of Ricky Dubose's death penalty trial. He and his fellow prison inmate Donnie Rowe are accused of brutally killing two Georgia corrections officers.

Now, jury selection for Dubose's trial begins Monday. Here is a recap the murders and court proceedings so far...

Corrections officers Curtis Billue and Christopher Monica were shot aboard a prison bus while driving inmates through Putnam County in June 2017.

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said inmates Ricky Dubose and Donnie Rowe escaped and went on a crime spree, ending in Tennessee days later.

"Either he'll get death, or he'll get life, or he'll get life without parole,” said Sills.

He says danger is everywhere, but it's hard when the victims wear a uniform.

"Anytime anybody in law enforcement is killed in the line of duty, it has a big impact on other law enforcement personnel. You often wonder, that could've been me,” he said.

Sills says he's the lead investigator in the double-homicide and the jury will be picked in Brunswick. He's packed enough clothes for a couple of weeks.

"It's taken a remarkably long time. I've never had a case in my entire career that's taken this long,” said Sills.

Last August, one of the suspects – inmate Donnie Rowe – was convicted of all charges. He was sentenced to life in jail without parole.

Sills says both he and the officers' families were disappointed that the jury didn't vote for the death penalty.

"I'm sure that with this finally coming about is going to help them because I can see the frustration in their faces,” said Sills.

13WMAZ reached out to the families of Curtis Billue and Christopher Monica, but they declined to comment. But their statements during Rowe's trial speak for themselves.

"You are a murderer. A thief. You have taken things that were not yours,” said Carole Billue, Sgt. Billue's sister.

"The defendant took something from me that I'll never get back -- my dad. He ruthlessly murdered my dad with no remorse,” said Sgt. Monica’s daughter, Zoey. “I was 16-years old. I had to grow up without him. He wasn't there to see me graduate, or see me at my senior lead out for prom, or to start college. He will miss my entire life. I will be the girl who will one day walk down the aisle without my dad by my side.”

Sills says that the jury is just as much a part of the justice system as he is, and the trial is in their hands.

"You know we want the death penalty, but that's not up to us... it's up the jury,” he said.

The trial starts Monday. Sills says lawyers in the case won't come back to Putnam County's courthouse to start presenting evidence until early June.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...5-f69dcc0ad9ff

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

29 jurors qualify as jury selection continues in Ricky Dubose death penalty trial

District Attorney T. Wright Barksdale says they've qualified 29 potential jurors

By 13 WMAZ News Staff

EATONTON, Ga. — Jury selection continued in the trial of Ricky Dubose Friday.

He's the second inmate accused of killing two corrections officers back in 2017.

Now, District Attorney T. Wright Barksdale says they've qualified 29 potential jurors.

That doesn't mean they're picked for the jury, it just means they're eligible to serve and neither side objects.

Their goal is to qualify a pool of 60 people.

Then, lawyers on both sides will narrow that group down to 12 jurors and several alternates.

Court officials estimate testimony may not start until June.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...d-7889c6699994

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Jury seated in Ricky Dubose death penalty case, trial set to begin Wednesday

Corrections officers Curtis Billue and Christopher Monica were shot aboard a prison bus while driving inmates through Putnam County in June 2017

By 13 WMAZ News Staff

BRUNSWICK, Ga. — Lawyers will make their opening statements next week in the double murder trial of Ricky Dubose.

He’s one of two prison inmates accused of killing corrections officers Curtis Billue and Christopher Monica aboard a transport bus in Putnam County five years ago.

The killings set off a manhunt across several states. Dubose and fellow inmate Donnie Rowe were later caught in Tennessee.

District Attorney T. Wright Barksdale says they’ve selected 12 jurors and five alternates from a jury pool in Brunswick to hear Dubose’s case. Jury selection started almost a month ago on May 2. The trial begins Wednesday, June 1, at the Putnam County courthouse. A jury convicted Rowe last year on all counts and he’s currently serving life without possible parole.

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills says both he and the officers' families were disappointed that the jury didn't vote for the death penalty in Rowe's case.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...NSWICK%2C%20Ga.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Prosecution winding down case against Dubose

By Billy W. Hobbs
    Union-Recorder

EATONTON, Ga. - The prosecution team is winding down its case in the double-murder and death penalty trial of Ricky Allen Dubose.

It comes after slightly less than three full days of testimony from more than 40 state witnesses over the last two weeks.

The trial began June 1 in Putnam County Superior Court in Eatonton with Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit Superior Court Judge Alison T. Burleson presiding.

Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit District Attorney T. Wright Barksdale III announced Wednesday afternoon that the state could, in fact, call its last witnesses during the morning hours Thursday before resting.

It sets the stage for defense attorneys to begin presenting their case to jurors, who were selected to hear testimony and view evidence in a case that has taken nearly five years to get to this point.

Dubose is accused of shooting to death Sgt. Curtis Billue and Sgt. Christopher Monica, both of whom worked as officers with the Georgia Department of Corrections, during an escape from a state prison transport bus on June 13, 2017 in Putnam County.

Evidence shows Dubose didn’t act alone in the killings of the officers, who lived in Baldwin County and worked in the transportation hub of Baldwin State Prison near Milledgeville. He was aided in the crimes by Donnie Russell Rowe Jr., who is now serving a triple-life sentence without the possibility of parole at the Georgia Classification Prison near Jackson after being convicted last year in the killings of the officers and other crimes in Putnam County.

The state is planning to call their last two witnesses this morning, according to Barksdale, who is being assisted in the prosecution of the case by Chief Assistant District Attorney Allison Mauldin and Assistant District Attorney Blyne May. Putnam County Sheriff Howard R. Sills has been seated with the prosecution team during the entire trial to offer his assistance in the prosecution of Dubose. He also testified during an earlier portion of the trial.

After the state rests, lead defense attorney Amber Pittman, and other members of the defense team will begin offering testimony on behalf of Dubose.

The defense team has a list of more than three dozen potential witnesses.

The trial could last at least another week or longer.

https://www.unionrecorder.com/news/p...ef96b57db.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Ricky Dubose found guilty in 2017 killing of two corrections officers

Dubose was found guilty of felony and malice murder in the killing of two corrections officers in 2017

By 13 WMAZ News Staff

PUTNAM COUNTY, Ga. — The Jury in the Rick Dubose trial reached a unanimous verdict on Monday on the 5th anniversary of Dubose initial crime spree. Dubose was found guilty of felony and malice murder in the killing of two corrections officers in 2017.

He’s one of two prison inmates who killed corrections officers Curtis Billue and Christopher Monica aboard a transport bus in Putnam County five years ago.

The killings set off a manhunt across several states. Dubose and fellow inmate Donnie Rowe were later caught in Tennessee.

During the opening arguments, District Attorney T. Wright Barksdale says Dubose went on a crime spree in 2017 with his "partner in crime" Donnie Rowe.

During closing arguments, Dubose's attorneys stated this case is a terrible crime committed by a man who is intellectually disabled and mentally ill.

The defense presented records showing Dubose was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck and did not have proper prenatal care.

They explained his mother smoked during the pregnancy, causing problems even before he was born and he struggled to walk, speak and go to school.

Before the bus attack, Dubose was referred to the Baldwin State prison doctor for medication. He never received the medication before the shooting.

Barksdale and his team said it was up to the defense to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Dubose was mentally ill at the time of act which impairs judgment and behavior and recognizes reality.

The jury sided with the prosecution and convicted Dubose on all counts.

Next up in the case is sentencing. Dubose will either be sentenced to death or life without the possibility of parole. The penalty phase will begin Tuesday morning at 9 a.m.

In Sept. 2021, a jury convicted Donnie Rowe of charges in connection with the case, including felony and malice murder. Rowe is now serving life without the possibility of parole.

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills says both he and the officers' families were disappointed that the jury didn't vote for the death penalty in Rowe's case.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...9-eca4181d80bb

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man convicted of murdering prison guards in Putnam County sentenced to death by GA jury

BY JOE KOVAC JR.
    The Telegraph

Ricky Allen “Juvie” Dubose, who last week was convicted of murdering two correctional officers five years ago during a harrowing escape from a Georgia prison transport bus, was on Thursday sentenced to die for his crimes. Dubose’s accomplice in the murders was convicted last year.

That man, Donnie Russell “Whiskey” Rowe Jr., was sentenced to life without parole. A jury in Rowe’s trial, from Grady County in south Georgia, spared Rowe’s life at least in part because it had been Dubose who grabbed one of the officers’ unsecured Glock pistols, aimed it at their heads and squeezed the trigger.

The June 13, 2017, killings of officers Curtis Billue, the bus driver, and Christopher Monica, the watchman on board, happened as the bus loaded with inmates cruised westerly from a state prison in Hancock County through the predawn Putnam County countryside toward a penitentiary in Butts County. Dubose and Rowe had by then slipped out of their handcuffs, jimmied an unsecured metal gate separating the officers from the prisoners and sprang into the front cabin of the bus.

The surprise attack was aided by the officers’ failure to properly lock the gate and other procedural mistakes that included them not double-locking the prisoners’ handcuffs. When Dubose and Rowe burst through the gate, the bus slid to a halt. In the commotion, Dubose fired the fatal shots and he and Rowe kicked their way through a glass door and took off on foot.

Within seconds they commandeered the car of an unsuspecting passerby who had been behind the bus, which was now sitting in the middle of the highway south of Lake Oconee.

The killers were captured a couple of days later in Tennessee. Rowe had at the time of the escape been serving a life-without-parole sentence for a conviction in a Bibb County robbery two decades prior. Dubose, from northeast Georgia, was in the second year of a 20-year prison term for robbery and assault cases in Elbert County.

Testimony in Dubose’s trial began June 1 in Putnam Superior Court after jurors were brought in from Glynn County on the southeast Georgia coast. Dubose’s lawyers had, in the guilty-or-not-guilty phase of the trial, hoped to convince jurors that he was mentally ill. The killings were recorded by a security camera inside the bus, and his lawyers did not deny that Dubose had been the trigger man. What they had sought was a verdict of “guilty but intellectually disabled” in the first phase of the trial that would have kept Dubose off death row.

Prosecutors portrayed Dubose as a cunning and calculated killer, one who deserved the ultimate punishment.

https://www.macon.com/news/local/cri...262531922.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

I was worried about this one. His mother was up there on the stand talking about how she loved him, and all the family described him as a big Teddy Bear. I'm glad the jury didn't buy it.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information