Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Letter to Governor Scott

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar

Letter to Governor Scott

Governor Scott,

So we see you have decided to run for the Senate. While we wish you luck, in the meantime, you are still the governor of Florida, and are still obligated to fulfill your duties to the people of the state of Florida. That includes signing death warrants to carry out the executions of those on Florida's death row. Since you have announced your senate bid, you have neglected to do this. This is unacceptable.

Several condemned inmates in Florida have been on death row in excess of 40 years. Furthermore, some have exhausted all legal appeals for several years. Yet, they continue to languish on death row, at the taxpayers' expense, because of your refusal to carry out your duty as governor. Here are a handful of those inmates:

Charles Foster has been on death row since October of 1975, nearly 43 years, for the murder of Julian Lanier. Foster nearly decapitated him in order to steal his wallet. Fosters final appeal to the US Supreme Court was turned down in 2007, more than a decade ago.

William Ziegler has been on death row since July of 1976, nearly 42 years, for a quadruple murder. Ziegler murdered his wife, Eunice Ziegler, his in-laws, Perry and Virginia Edwards, and Charles Mays, Jr., so he could collect insurance money.

Henry Sireci has been on death row since November of 1976, more than 41 years, for the murder of Howard Poteet. Sireci cut his throat and stabbed him 55 times, in order to steal a car from his business. Sireci's final appeal to the US Supreme court was rejected in December 2016.

Harold Lucas has been on death row since February of 1977, more than 41 years, for the murder of 16-year-old Jill Piper. Lucas has been sentenced to death 5 different times, and most recently lost his final appeal to the US Supreme Court 5 years ago, in January 2011.

James Hitchcock was sentenced to death in February of 1977, more than 41 years ago, for sexually assaulting and choking a 13-year-old girl to death. Hitchcock lost his final appeal to the US Supreme Court more than 3 years ago, in October 2014.

Ernest Downs has been on death row since January of 1978, more than 40 years, for the murder-for-hire of Forrest Harris. Downs executed Harris by shooting him four times in the head, so he could be paid $5,000 from Harris' business partner. Downs lost his final appeal to the US Supreme Court in October 2014.

Stephen Booker has been on death row since October of 1978, nearly 40 years ago, for the murder of Lorine Harmon. The 94-year-old woman was raped and stabbed to death, with 2 large knives left embedded in her body. His final appeal to the US Supreme Court was turned down in March 2013, more than 5 years ago.

Bryan Jennings has been on death row since May of 1980, almost 39 years, for the murder of six-year-old Rebecca Kunash. Jennings kidnapped the young victim and asphyxiated her, raped her and held her head underwater, and left her body in a canal. Jennings lost his final appeal to the US Supreme court more than 10 years ago, in March 2008.

These long-serving inmates are among dozens of killers on Florida's death row who have exhausted all legal appeals and are eligible for to sign a death warrant. But you already know this, due to the Timely Justice Act, which you signed into law. You just refuse to act.

Governor Scott, you owe it to the victims' families, as well as the citizens of Florida, to sign the necessary paperwork to carry out the executions of these despicable murderers. Law enforcement officers, investigators, correctional officers, prosecutors, juries, trial judges, and appellate judges have all done their part. But, for reasons unknown, YOU refuse to do yours.

If you continue to refuse to carry out the law, we will ask you to explain why the murders of all aforementioned victims are not worthy of the short time it takes you to sign the execution warrants? Silence is NOT ACCEPTABLE, Governor Scott. Do your job, or speak up!

This is a draft of an email I plan to send to Governor Scott. I encourage other members to email him as well. Please feel free to post any suggestions, also correct any mistakes on the inmates or dates, or post any inmates I may have missed. Also if someone could put the dates of Ziegler's appeals, that'd be cool.

Billinsandiego
    Looks good to me. I like how you include the length of time spent on death row

Just mention in some form that there over 100 plus inmates on Florida's death row eligible for execution. The Timely Justice Act, which he signed into law is in place to speed up executions. If Lethal Injection drugs are problematic or unavailable to purchase, look towards other methods to execution. Currently, several states in the United States are full steam ahead of executing its people on death row in Texas, Alabama and Georgia. The Florida people voted for the death penalty and should be used where necessary to draw a conclusion to the victims' families. Mention that if he does not fulfil his requirements as Governor of Florida, then he should resign and allow a successor to do what needs to be done.

The ones I picked, have both been there since the 70s and have all their appeals exhausted as far as I know. I knew there was dozens who were eligible, but is there really over 100? Jesus Christ.

As of April 2018, there are 127 who are eligible for execution. Aside from those who are due for re-sentencing under Hurst, those are not included. There are a few more who are coming to the end of their legal appeals and will add up to the 127 which are mentioned in the coming months to the fall.

Billinsandiego
    Wow! Florida reminds me of California.

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    It is an illusion ,to think that all these inmates will be executed one of these fine day.
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

It's really not though. There is no legal issues or anything holding them back, and I don't believe any issue with obtaining drugs since they use midazolam. Literally all the governor has to do is do his job. If there's 127 warrant ready inmates, they could set one date a week and it would take a little over 3 years. Thats considering possible stays, and holiday weeks where they don't set dates because the courts are closed.

Nothing really stopping them either from having double and triple executions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information