Thread: Dwandarrius Jamar Robinson - Arizona Death Row

Dwandarrius Jamar Robinson - Arizona Death Row

May 4, 2014
    [/SIZE]
    Legal twist in Phoenix FD investigation

By Matthew Casey
    AZCentral.com

Attorneys for a Phoenix man charged with capital murder want jurors to know that two Phoenix Fire Department arson investigators are accused of lying under oath should prosecutors call them to testify during the trial, records show.

Dwandarrius Robinson's defense team filed a motion that, if approved by a judge, would require the Maricopa County Attorney's Office to disclose to jurors the criminal charges recommended against Phoenix Fire Captain Sam Richardson and Captain Fred Andes.

Charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the 2012 death of his girlfriend and their unborn child at their Phoenix apartment. Police said Robinson bound Shaniqua Hall with duct tape and hand cuffs, doused her with lighter fluid and set her on fire.

Submittal of the motion, which is referred to as a Brady motion, follows an investigation by the Arizona Department of Public Safety that recommended Richardson be charged with six counts of false swearing and that Andes be charged with one count. The charges are based on the men's alleged testimonial inconsistencies regarding a May 2009 arson investigation.

Robinson's trial is not set to begin in Maricopa County Superior Court until March 2015.

A County Attorney's Office plans to file a response.

"Our office complies with all disclosure requirements and court orders," spokesman Jerry Cobb wrote in a statement.

Use of the term Brady refers to a U.S. Supreme Court case that found prosecutors must disclose evidence that could be favorable to the defense, including evidence that may hurt a law-enforcement officer's credibility while testifying, according to the motion.

The county attorney maintains a Brady list, a database of law enforcement officers with questionable integrity due to past behavior.

Cobb would not comment on whether Richardson and Andes have been recommended for the Brady list.

Hall was nine months pregnant when she died. Police said Robinson admitted to buying duct tape and lighter fluid that day and reportedly told investigators that he used to work in security when they found handcuff keys in his pocket.

According to the motion, Andes used his accelerant sniffing dog, Sadie, to inspect Robinson's clothing two days after the fatal fire. Sadie alerted to both of Robinson's shoes, his T-shirt and his shorts, the motion said. Lab tests later showed that an unidentifiable flammable liquid was present on one of the shoes, but none of the other items, the motion said.

Robinson's attorneys interviewed the lab analyst who said he wasn't sure whether the liquid was actually an accellerant or a product used in manufacturing the shoe. But Andes said in his report that dogs like Sadie have been proven more accurate than labs, the motion said.

Andes made similar statements during the 2009 arson investigation, according to the DPS investigation accusing him of lying under oath. In May, he told DPS investigators that he did not compile lab-analysis results because it could show that his dog was "right half the time."

The Phoenix Fire Department recently placed the men and their supervisor, Fire Marshal Jack Ballentine, on administrative leave with full pay and benefits. It also launched an administrative investigation that is expected to last up to 120 working days, said Shelly Jamison, a Fire Department spokeswoman. Deputy Chief David Carter has been named acting fire marshal.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...osed/13610915/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Phoenix man sentenced to death for killing pregnant girlfriend, setting apartment on fire

"The callous and inhumane killing of his girlfriend and their unborn child is the worst example of a man utterly failing those who counted on him for love and support," County Attorney Bill Montgomery said

By 12news.com KPNX

PHOENIX - The Maricopa County Attorney's Office announced a decision Monday to sentence a man to death for killing his pregnant girlfriend and intentionally setting their apartment on fire in 2012.

According to MCAO, the sentence came after a jury found 27-year-old Dwandarrius Robinson guilty on two counts of murder and one count of arson. His girlfriend, 21-year-old Shaniqua Hall, was 9 months pregnant.

"The callous and inhumane killing of his girlfriend and their unborn child is the worst example of a man utterly failing those who counted on him for love and support," Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery read. "The jury’s verdict accurately and properly imposes the death penalty as a just and proportionate punishment for these despicable crimes."

Robinson called 911 on July 18, 2012 and told police he came home to find his apartment on fire and he was not sure if his girlfriend was inside, MCAO said. Firefighters found Hall’s body bound with duct tape. A rag was shoved down her throat and she was handcuffed inside the couple’s bedroom. Investigators found the fire was intentionally set and an accelerant was used.

The jury found there were seven aggravating factors in this case making Robinson eligible of consideration for the death penalty, according to a MCAO press release.

According to the Arizona Department of Corrections, 115 inmates are currently on death row. Robinson will be added to that list.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...e/75-556764364
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Robinson entered Arizona's death row on May 21, 2018.

https://corrections.az.gov/public-resources/death-row

Conviction and death sentence affirmed on direct appeal on May 24, 2022.

https://law.justia.com/cases/arizona...8-0284-ap.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Distributed for conference December 2, 2022.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/22-5679.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Robinson's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Arizona
    Case Numbers: (CR-18-0284-AP)
    Decision Date: May 24, 2022
    Rehearing Denied: June 23, 2022

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...22zor_d1of.pdf

Thread Information