Thread: Kevin Wayne Clayborn Sentenced to 70 Years in 2018 AR Murder of Misha Rivera

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar

Kevin Wayne Clayborn Sentenced to 70 Years in 2018 AR Murder of Misha Rivera

Man denies guilt in girlfriend's death

By Tracy Neal
    Arkansas Online

BENTONVILLE -- A Rogers man pleaded innocent Monday to a capital murder charge in the death of his girlfriend.

Kevin Wayne Clayborn, 49, is also charged with theft of property. He entered innocent pleas at his arraignment before Circuit Judge Robin Green.

Clayborn, who is being held without bail in the Benton County jail, is accused of killing Misha Rivera. Rivera, 48, died from head trauma and strangulation, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Rogers police began investigating after family members found Rivera's body in her home May 5, according to court documents.

One person told police he read a passage in Rivera's journal about Clayborn having a strange look in his eyes and pushing her, according to the affidavit. Police found the journal in Rivera's home, but one page had been torn from it, according to court documents.

One of Rivera's vehicles was missing and later found in Van Buren. The theft charge involves Rivera's 2006 Volvo XC9, according to court documents.

One of Clayborn's former girlfriends told police he came to her home between 1 a.m. and 2 a.m. May 4 and said he needed to go to Oklahoma City to be with his daughter who was going to be placed in a mental hospital, according to the affidavit.

The woman drove Clayborn to a convenience store near where she believes his former wife lives, according to court documents.

Members of the Oklahoma City Fugitive Task Force watched for Clayborn at an apartment complex and arrested him.

Clayborn could face life imprisonment or the death penalty if he's convicted of capital murder. Prosecutors have not said whether they will seek the death penalty. He could be sentenced to three to 10 years in prison on the theft charge.

Clayborn's next court appearance is scheduled for July 16.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2...iend-s-death-/
    Last edited by Helen; 06-05-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Capitalization of Heading, and removed period at end of heading
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Death penalty option in Rogers murder case

By Tracy Neal
    The Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

BENTONVILLE -- Prosecutors haven't decided if they'll seek the death penalty against a man accused of killing his live-in girlfriend.

Kevin Wayne Clayborn, 49, of Rogers is charged with capital murder and theft of property. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.

He is being held without bond in the Benton County Jail.

Clayborn is accused of killing Misha Rivera. She died from trauma to her head and strangulation, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Clayborn appeared in court Thursday. He was represented by the Benton County Public Defenders Office, but his court-appointed attorneys are now Toney Brasuell and Tony Pirani.

Pirani told Circuit Judge Robin Green the prosecutor's office provided some discovery material to them, but they are waiting for more.

The judge rescheduled the hearing for 8 a.m. Aug. 20.

Stuart Cearley, chief deputy prosecutor, told the judge his office hasn't decided if it will seek the death penalty.

Rogers police began investigating after family members found Rivera's body in her home May 5, according to court documents.

One person told police he read a passage in Rivera's journal about Clayborn having a strange look in his eyes and pushing her, according to the affidavit. Police found the journal in Rivera's home, but one page had been torn from it, according to court documents.

The theft charge involves Rivera's 2006 Volvo XC9 that was missing and later found in Van Buren, according to court documents.

One of Clayborn's former girlfriends told police he came to her home between 1 and 2 a.m. May 4 and said he needed to go to Oklahoma City to be with his daughter who was going to be placed in a mental hospital, according to the affidavit.

The woman drove Clayborn to a convenience store near where she believes his former wife lives, according to court documents.

Members of the Oklahoma City Fugitive Task Force watched for Clayborn at an apartment complex and arrested him.

Clayborn could be sentenced to life imprisonment or the death penalty if he's convicted of capital murder. He could be sentenced to three to 10 years in prison on the theft charge.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2018/j...gers-murder-c/
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    August 20, 2018

Jury trial scheduled in Rogers murder case

BENTONVILLE -- A judge today set a Feb. 5 jury trial for a Rogers man accused of killing his live-in girlfriend.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2018/a...gers-murder-c/

Trial delayed in Rogers murder case

By TRACY M. NEAL

BENTONVILLE -- The May jury trial was postponed for a Rogers man accused of killing his live-in girlfriend.

Kevin Wayne Clayborn, 49, is charged with capital murder and theft of property. He previously pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Clayborn's jury trial was scheduled to begin May 3. His attorneys are seeking additional records, so Benton County Circuit Judge Robin Green this morning granted a request to delay the trial.

She plans to set another trial date at a hearing scheduled for 8 a.m. March 14.

Clayborn, who is being held without bond in the Benton County Jail, is accused of killing Misha Rivera. She died from trauma to her head and strangulation, according to a probable cause affidavit. Family members found Rivera's body in her home May 5, according to court documents.

One person told police during their investigation of the killing he read a passage in Rivera's journal about Clayborn having a strange look in his eyes and pushing her, according to the affidavit. Police found the journal in Rivera's home, but one page had been torn from it, according to court documents.

The theft charge involves Rivera's 2006 Volvo XC9, which was missing and later found in Van Buren, according to court documents.

Prosecutors have not decided if they will seek the death penalty.

The judge today denied a few motions challenging the constitutionally of the death penalty. The motions are routinely filed in death penalty cases.

Clayborn could be sentenced to life imprisonment or death if he's convicted of capital murder. He could be sentenced to three to 10 years in prison on the theft charge.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/...case-20190208/

Judge rejects guilty plea of Rogers man accused of killing girlfriend

By Tracey M. Neal
    Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

BENTONVILLE -- A judge refused to accept a guilty plea Monday after the murder defendant claimed he acted in self-defense when he slammed his girlfriend's head to the ground.

Kevin Wayne Clayborn, 50, of Rogers is charged with capital murder, battery and theft of property. He was set to plead guilty before Benton County Circuit Judge Robin Green.

Clayborn is accused of killing 48-year-old Misha Rivera. She died as result of trauma to her head and strangulation, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Family members found Rivera's body in her Rogers home May 5, 2018, according to court documents.

Stuart Cearley, chief deputy prosecutor, said in court Clayborn and Rivera were dating and got into an argument. Clayborn slammed her head to the ground, strangled her and then stole her vehicle, Cearley said.

Green asked Clayborn if Cearley's statement was true.

"Not exactly," Clayborn said. Moments later he said he agreed with Cearley's statement.

"Did you take her car?" the judge asked.

"Yes," Clayborn replied.

The judge then moved to the battery charge. Clayborn admitted he slammed Rivera's head into the ground.

"I was defending myself," he said.

Green told Clayborn, because of his self-defense claim, she couldn't accept his guilty plea.

Clayborn said he wasn't being forced or coerced into pleading guilty.

"I really want to move on," he said. "I want to be responsible for my actions."

Green asked Clayborn whether he was satisfied with the work of his attorneys. He has written at least two letters to the judge questioning their work and claiming racial discrimination.

"I'm just ready to move forward," said Clayborn, who is black.

Toney Brasuell, one of Clayborn's lawyers, told Green the attorneys haven't discriminated against Clayborn.

The judge gave Brasuell and Clayborn more time to discuss the issue.

"I want to simply say I'm fine with how they represented me," Clayborn said after.

Several members of Rivera's family, along with several Rogers police detectives, were in court for the proceedings.

Clayborn described himself as an honest man.

"I'm not this monster that this newspaper makes me out to be," he said.

The judge scheduled a pretrial hearing for Sept. 3.

Clayborn is being held without bond in the Benton County Jail.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/...of-rogers-man/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Jury trial set in Rogers murder case

By Staff Report
    Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

BENTONVILLE -- A jury trial was scheduled Tuesday for Kevin Clayborn, who is accused of killing his girlfriend.

Clayborn, 50, of Rogers is charged with capital murder, battery and theft of property. He previously pleaded not guilty to the charges.

He is accused of killing 48-year-old Misha Rivera. She died as a result of trauma to her head and strangulation, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Benton County Circuit Judge Robin Green scheduled Clayborn's jury trial to begin May 8.

Clayborn could be sentenced to life imprisonment or death if he's convicted of capital murder. He could be sentenced to three to 10 years in prison on the theft charge.

Clayborn is being held without bond in the Benton County Jail.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/...urder-case-20/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information