Thread: Joseph Daniels Sentenced to 51 Years in 2018 TN Murder of Joe Clyde Daniels

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar

Joseph Daniels Sentenced to 51 Years in 2018 TN Murder of Joe Clyde Daniels

Joe Clyde Daniels (Courtesy: Tennesee Bureau of Investigation)

Joseph and Krystal Daniels (Courtesy: Tennessee Bureau of Investigation)

Joe Clyde's parents face more charges, including possibility of death penalty

By WKRN Web Staff
    WKRN News 2

DICKSON COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) - The parents of Joe Clyde Daniels face additional charges, including the possibility of the death penalty.

Joseph and Krystal Daniels were arraigned Friday morning after being indicted by a special grand jury.

Joseph Daniels faces felony premeditated murder and aggravated child abuse charges. His wife, Krystal, has been indicted for failing to prevent aggravated child abuse and neglect and later hindering the investigation.

The district attorney also indicated it could be a death penalty case, but a final decision has not yet been made.

Five-year-old Joe Clyde was initially reported missing from his Dickson County home in early April. His father confessed to killing him a few days later. He has been jailed ever since.

Krystal Daniels was arrested several days later and remains jailed. She is expected to go to trial next March.

Joe Clyde's remains have not yet been recovered. A search is scheduled for Saturday.

http://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/...lty/1226598193
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Balloon release set for Saturday to mark Baby Joe Clyde Daniels' birthday

A gathering will be held this weekend in Dickson County for Joe Clyde Daniels.

Members of the Dickson community have organized a celebration of life on Saturday to commemorate his birthday. Joe Clyde would have turned 6 on July 30.

It will be at Hillview Baptist Church from 2 to 7 p.m. with a balloon release scheduled for 6:15 p.m.

Joe Clyde is believed to have been murdered and his parents are accused in the crime. His body has yet to be recovered.

Police say Joe Clyde's father, Joseph Daniels, has confessed to beating Joe Clyde but won't tell investigators where he left his body.

Police from across the state, as well as volunteers, have spent countless hours searching rural parts of Dickson County for Joe Clyde.

Both parents are expected to stand trial separately next March.

Joseph Daniels is charged with murder and could face the death penalty.

Krystal Daniels, is charged with aggravated child abuse and neglect, and hindering the investigation.

According to an affidavit, Krystal Daniels admitted to police she was present when Joe Clyde was killed by his father.

She reportedly failed to report the abuse, which resulted in Joe Clyde's death and knew his father disposed of his body, according to police.

It was alleged during the course of the investigation that Joseph Daniels intentionally beat his son to death at the family's home before hiding his body.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/balloon-re...day/1325283342
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

August 7, 2018

Joe Clyde Daniels' mother appears in court

wvlt.tv

DICKSON, Tenn. (WTVF) -- Five-year-old Joe Clyde Daniels' mother appeared in court Monday for a status hearing.

Krystal Daniels' former attorney posed a potential conflict of interest, so she was appointed a new attorney. Daniels was also granted a motion to transfer from Dickson County Jail to a state facility in Davidson County. Her husband, Joseph Daniels, was granted a similar request.

Joseph Daniels was indicted on several counts — including murder — after police say he admitted to beating his son to death and dumping his body in an unknown location. The boy's body has not yet been recovered.

Krsytal Daniels is facing several counts such as child neglect after prosecutors said she knew of her husband's abuse and attack on Joe Clyde but did not report it.

A trial has been set for March 2019.

http://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/Joe-...490229751.html

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    June 3, 2021

Joe Clyde Daniels Case: Trial starts for Tennessee father accused in 5-year-old's death

By Associated Press

The trial for a Tennessee man who is accused of killing his 5-year-old son gets underway Thursday in Dickson County.

Joe Clyde Daniels was reported missing April 4, 2018. His father, Joseph Daniels, is charged with first-degree murder and has pleaded not guilty.

A jury was chosen Wednesday in Chattanooga.

Investigators say Daniels admitted to fatally beating the child, but later recanted and blamed the boy’s death on his wife, Krystal Nicole Daniels. She’s charged with offenses including aggravated child neglect or endangerment.

On Thursday, District Attorney Ray Crouch and defense lawyer Jake Lockert laid out their cases in opening statements, news outlets reported.

Lockert said there is a lack of physical evidence and nothing to prove his client killed the child.

Crouch told jurors that Joe Clyde’s brother witnessed Joseph Daniels beating the boy to death, WTVF-TV reported.

Investigators say Daniels admitted to fatally beating the child, who was autistic and nonverbal, for urinating on the floor. They say he led authorities to places he said the boy was buried, but the body hasn’t been found.

Daniels later recanted and blamed the boy’s death on his wife, Krystal Nicole Daniels. She’s charged with offenses including aggravated child neglect or endangerment.

The jury will be sequestered for the trial.

https://www.newschannel9.com/news/lo...unty-tennessee

Jury finds Dickson County's Joseph Daniels guilty of murdering 5-year-old son

A Dickson County jury found Joseph Daniels guilty of second-degree murder in the disappearance of his 5-year-old son Joe Clyde.

He was charged with first-degree murder but convicted of a lesser charge.

He was also found guilty of first degree murder in perpetration of a felony crime, aggravated child abuse, initiating a false report and tampering with evidence.

The jury, chosen from Hamilton County, announced its verdict Saturday after an eight-day trial and nearly 10 hours of deliberation over two days.

He is set to be sentenced on the charges Sept. 14. Daniels asked to be returned to Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville while he awaited sentencing, where he has been held for the duration of the trial.

Daniels was accused of killing the boy after he went missing in early April 2018.

Joe Clyde had autism and was nonverbal, but was remembered by teachers and friends as a "very funny" and "energetic" boy who "loved to eat" and "loved his boots."

The small, close-knit Dickson County community was shaken by the disappearance and charges of murder. It followed the case intensely for three years.

When Daniels was initially interrogated in the days following the disappearance, he told TBI agents that he beat "Baby Joe" to death after learning the child had urinated on the floor.

He said he disposed of Joe Clyde's body in an undisclosed remote location, investigators said. The child's body has not been found.

He since retracted that confession, but Dickson County Circuit Court Judge David D. Wolfe allowed it to be shared in court.

"The question of whether that’s a false confession or not, is the jury question," Wolfe said.

Throughout the trial, the defense repeatedly tried to undermine the capabilities of their client, seemingly in an effort to cast doubt on his ability to carry out and cover up a murder.

Defense attorney Matthew Mitchell told the jury his client is a liar, urging them not to trust a recorded confession and repeated follow up statements.

"He’s lied to you about everything," Mitchell said Friday, then asked, "But you’ve got to believe him that he killed his son?"

Mitchell argued law enforcement decided early on that Daniels was the prime suspect and suggested investigators may have ignored other leads in the search for Joe.

In response, prosecutors told the jury not to reward someone for getting away with murder. District Attorney General Ray Crouch reminded jurors that hundreds of law enforcement personnel and volunteers with dogs and helicopters searched the area for days looking for the missing boy.

Daniels’ defense suggested the child may have escaped the house on his own and become lost in a fairly rural area of Dickson County. Prosecutors pointed to a series of locks on the door .

Without concrete evidence in the form of a body or strong forensic traces, both sides have struggled to definitively find what it is Daniels is suspected of doing to harm the child.

Prosecutors said Daniels was worried his wife was planning to leave him and believed she would rely on government funding for Joe’s care to support herself and the other children.

Before the jury began deliberating Friday, Wolfe explained the charges against Daniels and that some of the charges against him came with alternate, lesser charges they could choose if they felt there was reasonable doubt for a heavier conviction.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...JAq4-rJx6RwntU
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

BABY JOE: Joseph Daniels sentenced to 51 years before eligible for parole in son’s death

Sebastian Posey

DICKSON COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) — The father of Baby Joe Clyde Daniels, Joseph Daniels has been sentenced to 51 years, served concurrently, in the death of his child.

‘As good as he could hope’: Joseph Daniels’ family, attorney react to sentencing
    Daniels appeared in a Dickson County courtroom Tuesday for the sentencing hearing three months after he was found guilty on charges of felony murder, second-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, filing a false report, and evidence tampering in connection with the killing of “Baby” Joe Clyde.

What happened to Baby Joe?

Joseph Daniels called 911 around 6:22 a.m. on the morning of April 4, 2018, and said his son, Joe Clyde, known as “Baby Joe,” had “escaped” from the family’s residence on Garners Creek Road in Dickson County.

Two days later, in a recorded interview with law enforcement, he confessed to the fatal beating of his son, who had autism and was non-verbal, after the five-year-old had urinated on the floor of a bedroom. He told investigators that he dumped Joe Clyde’s body in a rural area.

Multiple searches were conducted over the days, months, and years that followed, but the child’s body has never been found.

Krystal Daniels, the mother of Baby Joe, was expected to appear in the courtroom Tuesday morning for a motions hearing, but the Dickson County jail she is in was under COVID-19 lockdown.

Krystal was originally charged with aggravated child neglect in the death of her son, but now faces additional charges of conspiracy to commit aggravated child abuse or neglect, filing a false report, and evidence tampering or fabricating evidence.

Krystal did briefly appear in court Tuesday afternoon. Her attorney said she pleads not guilty.

Her motions hearing has been moved to November 12. Her trial is set to begin February 1, 2022, and is expected to last 10 days.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/baby-joe-f...g-hearing/amp/

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Krystal Daniels pleads no contest in disappearance of Baby Joe

by: Brittney Baird

DICKSON COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) — The mother of a Dickson County boy who disappeared in 2018 and is presumed dead entered a no contest agreement with the State Wednesday just before her trial was set to begin.

Krystal Daniels was scheduled to stand trial this week in the death of her five-year-old son, Joe Clyde. Jury selection was set to begin Wednesday morning.

Instead, Krystal Daniels entered a no contest plea Wednesday to Count 1 of aggravated child abuse and received a 15 year sentence to serve at 85% and concurrently.

On Count 2, conspiracy to commit aggravated child abuse, she received sentence of 12 years. Count 3, for filing a false report, she was sentenced to four years and Count 4, tampering of evidence, six years.

A jury found Krystal Daniels’ husband, Joseph Daniels, guilty on charges of felony murder, second-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, filing a false report and evidence tampering in connection with the killing of Joe Clyde. He was sentenced to 51 years, served concurrently, in the death of his child.

Joseph Daniels called 911 around 6:22 a.m. on the morning of April 4, 2018 and said his son, Joe Clyde, known as “Baby Joe,” had “escaped” from the family’s residence on Garners Creek Road in Dickson County.

Two days later, in a recorded interview with law enforcement, he confessed to the fatal beating of his son, who had autism and was non-verbal, after the five-year-old had urinated on the floor of a bedroom. He told investigators that he dumped Joe Clyde’s body in a rural area.

Multiple searches were conducted over the days, months and years that followed, but the child’s body has never been found.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/baby-joe/k...lcQYgw2GztJsbk

Thread Information