Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy O'Neal Spencer - Alabama Death Row

Capital murder trial delayed for more testing

By CHARLES WHISENANT The Arab Tribune

The trial for the man accused of killing three people in Guntersville, including a 7-year-old boy, has been postponed because of a delay in testing.

Jimmy O’Neal Spencer is charged with killing 7-year-old Colton Lee, his great-grandmother Marie Martin, 74, and her neighbor, Martha Reliford, 65, in July 2018.

Spencer was out of prison on parole at the time of the killings.

Reliford grew up in Parches Cove near Union Grove. She is the third member of her family to be murdered.

http://www.thearabtribune.com/news/c...90a16e15b.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

New trial date set for Jimmy O’Neal Spencer

By Zach Hester
    WHNT News

GUNTERSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) — A new trial date has been set for a man accused of killing three people in Guntersville.

Jimmy O’Neal Spencer was charged in 2018 with killing 7-year-old Colton Lee, his great-grandmother Marie Martin, and her neighbor Martha Reliford.

A trial was initially set for April 26, 2022 was continued after the court was made aware of testing that had to be performed on Spencer and wouldn’t be finished before that date, according to court records. The documents didn’t say what kind of testing was being performed on Spencer.

Court records show Jimmy O’Neal Spencer’s new trial will be on October 17, 2022 at 9 a.m. in the Marshall County Courthouse.

As previously reported, Spencer is charged with seven counts of capital murder. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

https://whnt.com/news/northeast-alab...oneal-spencer/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Gov. Ivey pens letter asking board to not parole capital murder suspect Jimmy O’Neal Spencer

Maggie Matteson

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) — A man charged with the murders of a 7-year-old, his great grandmother and her neighbor will have a parole hearing for unrelated charges on August 9. Governor Kay Ivey wrote a strongly worded response against him being granted parole.

“Under no circumstances should Jimmy O’Neal Spencer be granted parole,” Governor Ivey said in her letter. “To parole him now would be dangerous and downright despicable.”

Jimmy O’Neal Spencer was paroled in November 2017, then released in January 2018, after the parole board believed he was unlikely to commit any more crimes.

“But now, as he approaches yet another chance at parole, he stands accused of another, far more serious crime: capital murder,” the governor continued.

Spencer has been charged with the July 2018 murders of 7-year-old Colton Lee, his great-grandmother Marie Martin, and her neighbor Martha Reliford. A jury trial for their murders has been set for October 17, 2022. He is facing a total of seven counts of capital murder. The prosecution is seeking the death penalty.

According to Matthew Estes, Communications Director for the ABPP, Spencer was on parole after being charged with second-degree burglary and first-degree escape.

His parole was revoked after he was charged with the murders of Lee, Martin and Reliford at their homes on Mulberry Street in Guntersville. Just before the murders occurred, Spencer spent three weeks in a halfway house in Birmingham before heading to Guntersville.

Estes says that following any parole being revoked, reconsideration hearings are required, and Spencer’s multiple capital murder charges don’t affect his eligibility for parole consideration.

Governor Ivey summarized her thoughts by saying, “But today is a time to return our focus to this particular case, and in doing so, to ensure that Spencer is never again able to harm innocent people. By any measure, Spencer is unworthy of parole. He has proven that he is a danger to the public and cannot be trusted in any way. His first award of parole was a grievous error, with deadly consequences for three precious lives. The Board simply cannot parole Spencer a second time.”

Read her full letter to the Alabama Board of Pardons and Paroles here.

In a statement Monday evening, Attorney General Steve Marshall said he plans on speaking in opposition to Spencer’s parole.

Inmate Jimmy O. Spencer was convicted of burglary and sentenced as a habitual offender to life in prison in 1989. In 1993, he escaped, was convicted of escape in the first degree, and again sentenced to life in prison. During his incarceration, Spencer incurred many disciplinary infractions, some of which involved violence.

Despite his poor behavior, he was granted parole in 2018. In July 2018, after absconding from supervision, Spencer murdered Martha Reliford, 65, Marie Martin, 74, and Colton Lee, 7, in Marshall County.

He has been charged with capital murder and is awaiting trial. Inmate Spencer’s parole (on his previous crime) was revoked after he was charged with capital murder, but the previous Parole Board set his reconsideration date at three years rather than the five-year maximum permitted by law. Spencer’s trial for the 2018 killings is set for October 17, 2022.

Inmate Spencer’s parole status is expected to be the first case considered by the Bureau of Pardons and Paroles during their Tuesday morning hearing, which is open to the public. Attorney General Marshall will speak in opposition to Spencer’s parole during the hearing.

Marshall said the hearing begins at 8 a.m. on Tuesday.

https://whnt.com/news/northeast-alab...l-spencer/amp/

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Parole denied for inmate awaiting trial in Guntersville triple homicide

The board denied parole to Jimmy O’Neil Spencer

By Associated Press

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — The Alabama Board of Pardons and Paroles has denied parole to an inmate who is accused of killing three people during his last release from prison.

The board, as expected, on Tuesday denied parole to Jimmy O’Neil Spencer.

Spencer in 2017 was paroled from a life sentence for a string of crimes that included burglary and assault.

The next year he was accused of killing two women and a child in Guntersville.

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey and Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall both urged the board to deny parole.

The murder charges against Spencer are pending and led to leadership and policy changes on the parole board.

The rate of paroles granted has dropped sharply over the last four years.

https://www.wvtm13.com/article/parol...icide/40852769
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

This was expected. Alabama is not Oregon or Washington State

Alabama triple murder suspect seeks to prohibit the death penalty due to intellectual disability

By Jess Grotjahn
    WHNT News

MARSHALL COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) – Attorneys for a man charged in connection with killing three people filed a motion asking the state to prohibit the death penalty because the defendant is intellectually disabled.

Jimmy O’Neal Spencer was on parole when he allegedly murdered 7-year-old Colton Lee, his great-grandmother Marie Martin, and her neighbor Martha Reliford in Guntersville in July 2018.

Spencer is now awaiting trial for capital murder charges stemming from those three killings. He is charged with seven counts of capital murder in the case and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

However, his attorneys say he is not eligible for the death penalty under Alabama law because he “suffers from significantly subaverage intellectual functioning.”

Spencer was intellectually tested in December of 2021. He was determined to have “extremely low range” intelligence scores. Court records show he also failed multiple grades in school and never learned to read or write.

Read the full motion from the defense here:

The state of Alabama issued a response stating Spencer does not meet the definition of an intellectually disabled person under Alabama law. Court records show that Spencer tested significantly higher when he took previous intelligence tests with the Alabama Department of Corrections.

The filing says the state believes Spencer has the “ability to feign his responses” making his IQ appear lower than it really is.

Read the full response from the state here:

Spencer is set to go to trial on October 17.

https://www.wrbl.com/news/alabama-tr...al-disability/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Spencer trial starts Monday

Allegedly killed three people in July 2018, including 7-year-old

By Elizabeth Summers
    The Sand Mountain Reporter

GUNTERSVILLE, Ala. — Marshall County District Attorney Everette Johnson will try one of the most complex murder cases in county history beginning next week.

Johnson said he’s looking forward to the trial’s beginning as a way to help victims’ families heal.

Jimmy O’Neal Spencer, 56, has been in custody since July 2018 when he allegedly killed three people in Guntersville. He now faces seven counts of capital murder in connection to the murders of Colton Lee, 7; his great-grandmother, Marie Martin; and her neighbor, Martha Reliford, in Guntersville in July 2018 while Spencer was out on parole.

At the time of Spencer’s arrest, Guntersville Police Chief Jim Peterson said it took 42 hours and 16 minutes from the initial call until Spencer was apprehended.

The triple murders on Mulberry Street shocked Guntersville at the time and brought calls for justice for the victims from a variety of people, including state Attorney General Steve Marshall.

“I’m simply going to say we want to get this case to trial,” Johnson said. “Certainly, we want to get it done for the families more than anything.”

Johnson expects the trial to garner a lot of attention, from the public, victims’ families and the media.

“I expect we will see a lot of people in the courthouse for this trial,” Johnson said. “We will have a large number of victims’ family members. It’s going to be a lot busier and more crowded than your average day at the courthouse.”

Circuit Court Judge Tim Riley will hear the trial, which is expected to last at least two weeks.

Johnson said the capital murder trial coupled with extensive pre-trial media coverage has forced the court to summon more than the average number of potential jurors.

“It is a capital case,” he said. “There is going to be a lengthier jury selection process.

“A lot has been said and written about this case. We expect there will be folks in the potential juror pool that has read or heard something about the case before now.

“We want to make sure to have enough potential jurors available that we are able to empanel a jury that is fair and impartial.

“It is normal procedure to order extra potential jurors when the case is high profile and there has been more publicity than normal.”

Marshall County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Steve Guthrie said those coming to conduct business at the courthouse in Guntersville can expect to see a larger than normal presence of deputies inside and outside the courthouse.

“We are beefing up security because of the sensitive nature of this case,” Guthrie said. “We want to make sure there are no issues inside the courtroom, outside the courtroom or around the courthouse.”

Anyone entering the courthouse will go through a metal detector and all bags will be checked prior to entry.

No handguns, pocketknives or metal implements — such as tweezers or scissors — will be allowed.

“If these types of things are found on your person or in your bag, it is going to slow down the screening process,” Guthrie said. “Leave those types of things in your vehicle or at home.”

He said once inside, those wishing to attend the trial will be screened a second time at the courtroom door. The process will remain in place throughout the duration of the trial.

Case background

Spencer was initially sent to prison in the 1980s on multiple convictions and was granted parole and released in January 2018, authorities have said. He was supposed to stay at a halfway house in Birmingham for six months but left after only a few weeks.

Spencer then travelled to Guntersville where he had several run-ins with the law before the slayings took place in July.

Spencer is believed to have allegedly killed the three victims for money. Spencer was released from prison after serving a 20-year sentence for robbery in Franklin County and made his way to Guntersville.

Johnson said Spencer was sleeping on park benches most nights, but then became familiar with the victims’ neighborhood at Mill Village in Guntersville. Johnson said as Spencer ran out of money, Spencer allegedly attempted to rob the victims. Reliford, the first victim, was killed some unknown amount of time before the second and third victims, Martin and Lee. Autopsy reports showed Reliford died after being struck with the “flat end of a hatchet” and then stabbed. Spencer allegedly took an unspecified amount of money, left and did not return to the scene, Johnson said. Spencer allegedly chose Martin as his next target. Martin was strangled and then stabbed according to autopsy reports. Colton, who was visiting his great grandmother, died from blunt force trauma according to autopsy reports.

Motions and milestones

• In May 2019, the victims’ families received a $1 million settlement from the State of Alabama – the maximum damages allowed under state law.

The families alleged Spencer was wrongfully paroled and the state failed to supervise him, resulting in the deaths of Martin, Lee and Reliford.

The actual amount families receive from the settlement will be less due to attorney’s fees.

• Attorneys for Spencer filed motions in 2019 to prevent “in-memoriam” apparel to be worn during his trial. According to the motion, the victims’ family members have worn “in-memoriam” T-shirts to court and attorneys are asking the judge to ban them for his trial.

Spencer’s attorneys said, “this type of apparel being worn during the trial would serve only to inflame the passions of the jury in violation of the defendant’s right to a fair trial guaranteed by the state and federal constitutions.”

• In June 2021, Spencer was brought to Marshall County from Kilby Prison for a hearing. When he arrived at the Marshall County Jail, a body scanner discovered a concealed shank on Spencer’s person.

He was ordered to be held in the county jail in solitary lockdown following the incident. His trial was set to begin Jan. 10, 2022.

• During parole hearings in August 2022, Spencer was denied parole in a hearing previously scheduled in connection to earlier charges.

His parole was revoked after he was charged with the murders of Lee, Martin and Reliford. Parole Board officials said after any parole is revoked, reconsideration hearings are required and Spencer’s multiple capital murder charges do not affect his eligibility for parole.

• September 2022 brought motions filed by Spencer’s attorneys asking the state to prohibit the death penalty because the defendant is intellectually disabled.

His attorneys said he was not eligible for the death penalty under Alabama law because he “suffers from significantly subaverage intellectual functioning.”

Spencer was tested in December of 2021 and was determined to have “extremely low range” intelligence scores. Court documents show he failed multiple grades in school and never learned to read or write.

State officials countered with a response stating Spencer does not meet the definition of a disabled person under Alabama law. Court records show Spencer tested significantly higher when he took previous intelligence tests with the Alabama Department of Corrections. The filing said the state believes Spencer has the “ability to feign his responses” to make his IQ seem lower than it really is.

https://www.sandmountainreporter.com...d38c3d889.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Jimmy O’Neal Spencer murder trial gets underway

By Kait Newsum
    WHNT News

MARSHALL COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) — The jury selection for a trial for a man accused of killing two women and a 7-year-old boy in Guntersville over four years ago began on Monday morning. The court also looked at if he could face the death penalty based on mental competency.

Jimmy O’Neal Spencer was charged in the deaths of Marie Martin, her great-grandson Colton Lee, and her neighbor Martha Reliford in July 2018. He faces seven counts of capital murder in the case, and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Marshall County Judge Tim Riley ruled Monday that Spencer could face the death penalty after a hearing looking at the issue, though the defense argued he did not meet a US Supreme Court set standard saying a person must have an IQ of 70 to be sentenced to death.

A psychologist testified during the hearing that testing found that Spencer’s IQ was 56, but prosecutors pushed back against that. The prosecution in the case argued that the standard also required evidence showing a defendant has poor adaptive functioning, meaning they have difficulty functioning in society.

The prosecution also said the defense must also provide evidence the issues began before Spencer was 18.

The defense’s psychologist said Spencer had to repeat grades in school and left school in the eighth grade but did not provide records to back that up.

The prosecution said Spencer had previously been given a prison IQ test in 1984 and scored a 73.

Ultimately the judge ruled the defense did not meet its burden of proof.

Jury selection was not completed on Monday, with the pool narrowed down to 75 people. All of those people filled out questionnaires before leaving the courthouse and will be questioned in groups over the next two days.

Jury Selection will continue in Spencer’s case on Tuesday Morning at the Marshall County Courthouse.

https://whnt.com/news/northeast-alab...gets-underway/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Jury selected for Jimmy Spencer murder trial

By Megan Plotka
    WAFF News

MARSHALL Co., Ala. (WAFF) - Attorneys continued the long process of selecting a jury for Jimmy Spencer’s capital murder trial on Wednesday. It was the third and final day of interviewing potential jurors.

After hours of interviews on day three, a jury was finally selected. Now, opening statements will begin Thursday.

Spencer is facing seven capital murder charges for killing three people in Guntersville in 2018, including a 7-year-old boy. If convicted, he could face the death penalty or life in prison.

Prosecutors and Spencer’s defense attorneys took a thorough approach in choosing their jurors. They dismissed about 70 jurors on the first day of the trial and sent the remaining candidates home with a written questionnaire.

Attorneys questioned the jurors in groups of approximately 11 people. Attorneys were trying to see a full picture of each potential juror. They asked questions as simple as, ‘Do you know your neighbor?’ to more serious questions pertaining to the death penalty, ‘If you were asked to volunteer to flip the switch on an execution, would you do it?’

After the group interview, several people were pulled to have private conversations with the attorneys. The entire session took about two and a half hours.

Attorneys will interview the last two remaining groups on Wednesday morning. The court then gathered all potential jurors in the afternoon and made the final selections.

https://www.waff.com/2022/10/19/jury...-murder-trial/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

DAY 4: Two witnesses, authorites testify in Guntersville triple homicide trial

By Kait Newsum and Taylor Mitchell
    WHNT News

MARSHALL COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) — The jury in the triple homicide trial against Jimmy O’Neal Spencer heard opening statements and several witness testimonies as proceedings continued Thursday.

The 57-year-old is charged in the deaths of Marie Martin, her 7-year-old great-grandson Colton Lee, and her neighbor Martha Reliford in July 2018. Spencer faces seven counts of capital murder in the case, and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
    <aside>
    </aside>During opening statements, Prosecutor Edward Kellet laid out the facts, from his perspective, of the case. Kellet said the case began when Martin’s granddaughter couldn’t reach her and dropped by to check up on her.

He said the granddaughter found Martin and Lee both dead, Martin with a cord around her neck and Lee with head injuries, inside the house and called 911. The prosecutor said the two had likely been killed the night before they were discovered.

The prosecution said police found Reliford after determining that she hadn’t been seen for several days. She was also found dead in her home. Kellet said both women were apparently killed in robberies and Lee was attacked because he had been a witness.

The prosecutor said at the time Spencer was on parole, living in various halfway houses and other locations and going through various jobs. He said eventually Spencer was homeless, had lost his car and his job, but sometimes did odd jobs for Reliford.
    <aside>
    </aside>Kellet said Spencer eventually went to Reliford’s house with a hatchet to get money. He said during this encounter Reliford was killed and Spencer took around $700.

He said Spencer went to Martin’s house after the money ran out and during that encounter Martin and Lee were killed and Spencer took $13.

Kellet said Spencer was found after police found Martin’s car which had been missing from the house. He also said that while Spencer was in custody in relation to the stolen car, he confessed to the killings.

Kellet said ultimately the evidence will show that Spencer is guilty of what he is charged with.
    <aside>
    </aside>In his opening statement, Defense Attorney Jerry Baker said the case was going to be tough. He asked the jury to weigh the evidence carefully before making any final judgments.

Baker asked the jury to be fair to Spencer and simply follow the evidence.

The first witness called in the case was Martin’s granddaughter Amanda Patterson. While questioned by District Attorney Everette Johnson, Patterson said she was close to Martin and her son often played with Lee.

Patterson said she last spoke to Martin on July 12. She said they talked about Patterson’s son spending the night with Martin and that Lee already was. Patterson said the next day Martin didn’t come to pick up Patterson’s son and failed to answer the phone after persistent calls.
    <aside>
    </aside>Patterson said she went by Martin’s house at lunchtime, but Martin’s car wasn’t there so she assumed her grandmother was out. She said she returned after work with her dad and a key.

Patterson said they found the house in disarray, jewelry was out of the jewelry box in Martin’s bedroom, the kitchen cabinets were left open and Lee’s clothes were scattered in the living room.

As Patterson described the house, Johnson showed the jury pictures of each room.

Patterson said she found Martin in the guest bedroom laying face down with her hands tied. She said Martin was unresponsive. Patterson said she ran outside to tell her dad and said she could not find Lee. She said her dad went into the house and came out saying he had found Lee’s body.

The prosecution also asked Patterson about Martin’s car, which she said was not there when she found Martin and Lee. Johnson also asked about Reliford. Patterson said she lived across the street, was blind and had cancer. She also said she had seen Spencer and a woman coming in and out of Reliford’s house in the days before the killings.

Patterson said the last time she had seen Spencer was the Sunday before she found Martin and Lee.

Patterson was followed up by her father, Martin’s son-in-law. The witness described his own experiences on July 13.

The witness said after confirming Martin’s condition, he went looking for Lee, who he found dead in another bedroom. The prosecution showed pictures of Lee’s body as the witness testified.

The next two witnesses were officers from the Guntersville Police Department. The first, Officer Harris, testified that he arrived at Martin’s home after a call involving a small boy possibly being strangled.

Harris said he arrived to find the first two witnesses outside. he then entered the house and found both bodies.

Harris said he then called an investigator and began closing down the scene. He said he heard Spencer’s name a few days later as a possible suspect and recognized him from work at a homeless shelter.
    <aside>
    </aside>Harris said he recognized Spencer in security footage of someone driving Martin’s car. He ultimately was the one who took Spencer into custody.

The second officer was Ed Spinner, who also respond to the call at Martin’s house. Spinner said he knew Martin personally and lived on the same street.

He testified that he and another officer were the ones to discover Reliford after being told no one had seen her for days. Spinner said it appeared Reliford had been dead for several days.

While the prosecution questioned each witness extensively, the defense offered no cross-examination of any witness.

The trial will pick back up on Friday morning at the Marshall County Courthouse. News 19 will provide live updates from the courtroom.

https://whnt.com/news/northeast-alab...spencer-trial/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information