Thread: First Degree Murder Trial Set for Isaac Damon King in 2018 AZ Murder of Arizona DPS Officer Tyler Edenhofer

First Degree Murder Trial Set for Isaac Damon King in 2018 AZ Murder of Arizona DPS Officer Tyler Edenhofer

Arizona DPS officer Tyler Edenhofer killed in struggle on I-10

By Arizona Republic

A DPS trooper who had been on the job less than three months was killed late Wednesday by a man who was able to grab a duty weapon from one of the officers trying to arrest him on Interstate 10 in the West Valley, authorities said Thursday.

A second trooper was wounded but will survive.

At a news conference, Col. Frank Milstead, DPS director, identified the fallen trooper as Tyler Edenhofer, who had graduated from the state trooper academy on May 4.

Milstead said radio operators had started receiving calls about 10:20 p.m. Wednesday about a person driving erratically on Interstate 10 eastbound near Avondale Boulevard, throwing objects at vehicles.

Citizens were able to get the man out of the roadway, Milstead said.

One DPS trooper arrived, and then two others, Milstead said. Two Goodyear police officers also arrived to assist, he said.

As they attempted to take the man into custody, the man struggled with the troopers, and the fight lasted several minutes, Milstead said.

"During the struggle, one of the troopers lost his firearm to the subject, and the subject fired at least two rounds from the duty weapon," Milstead said.

One bullet hit Trooper Dalan Dorris in the trapezius, near the shoulder. It was a through-and-through wound, Milstead said.

"He's in good spirits considering the circumstances," Milstead said.

The other bullet struck Edenhofer, who was still an officer in training.

No information was immediately available about the shooter.

"The DPS family is in mourning. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family," Milstead said.

"Lives have been shattered and ruined. We're all in a little bit of a state of shock this morning."

Interstate 10 was expected to remain closed through the morning rush hour Thursday as the police investigation into the shooting continued.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...-10/840035002/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Avondale man to be arraigned in killing of state trooper

sfgate.com

PHOENIX (AP) — An Avondale man is scheduled to be arraigned on charges in the shooting death of a rookie state trooper during a roadside struggle on Interstate 10.

Damon King is expected to enter a plea Thursday on murder and other charges in the July 25 shooting death of 24-year-old Trooper Tyler Edenhofer.

Authorities say officers were struggling with King for several minutes when he somehow got hold of another trooper's gun and fired two shots.

The shots killed Edenhofer and wounded another trooper in the shoulder.

The struggle came after troopers responded to a call that a person was throwing rocks at vehicles on the interstate.

Authorities say King was on medication for anxiety and depression.

Edenhofer was killed just two months after graduating from the Department of Public Safety academy.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/ar...e-13159928.php

October 16, 2018

2019 Trial for Man Charged With Killing Arizona Trooper

An April 2019 trial has been scheduled for an Avondale man charged in the shooting death of an Arizona state trooper nearly three months ago during a roadside struggle on Interstate 10

Associated Press

PHOENIX (AP) — An April 2019 trial has been scheduled for an Avondale man charged in the shooting death of an Arizona state trooper nearly three months ago during a roadside struggle on Interstate 10.

Isaac Damon King has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges in the July 25 shooting death of 24-year-old Trooper Tyler Edenhofer.

Authorities say officers were struggling with King when he somehow got hold of another trooper's gun and fired two shots.

The shots killed Edenhofer and wounded another trooper.

The struggle began after troopers responded to a call that a person was throwing rocks at vehicles on the interstate.

Authorities say King was on medication for anxiety and depression.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...rizona-trooper
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

New trial scheduled for 2/7/2024

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.go...=CR2018-137405

The reason for the years long delay was apparently due to King’s mental competency

As of last month, King is also currently serving 20Y 6M for crimes committed while awaiting trial
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information