Thread: Allyn Akeem Smith - Arizona Death Row

Allyn Akeem Smith - Arizona Death Row

December 11, 2014

Man pleads not guilty in fatal shooting of Ahwatukee woman

PHOENIX (CBS5/AP) - A man accused in the fatal shooting of a 19-year-old woman in Ahwatukee and the wounding of her 2-month-old daughter has pleaded not guilty.

Maricopa County prosecutors say 30-year-old Allyn Smith entered his plea Wednesday. His initial pretrial conference is scheduled for April 15.

Smith surrendered to authorities on Feb. 10 and was jailed on suspicion of first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and child abuse.

Phoenix Police Sgt. Jonathan Howard said that prior to the homicide, Lawrence and Smith were in a dispute over paternity of the baby.

The woman and infant were found Dec. 11 in the area of 18th Avenue and Liberty Lane on the south side of South Mountain, near 17th Avenue and Pecos Road.

Lawrence was shot in the back of the head, a Phoenix Fire Department spokesman said. She was taken to a hospital, where she later died.

The baby girl was shot in the leg and was hospitalized in critical condition. She was expected to survive.

Howard said Lawrence lived in the Valley but not near the neighborhood where she was found.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/276089...hwatukee-woman

February 11, 2015

Man in custody in fatal shooting of woman in Ahwatukee

It was an unimaginable scene back in December; a mother and her baby left in the desert to die.

Court documents reveal that 19-year-old Khalli Lawrence was shot execution style, a single gunshot wound to the back of the head, she died at the scene. Her baby named Khiya was shot in the leg; the baby survived.

According to the paperwork detectives, quickly turned their attention to the baby's potential father, Allyn Smith.

Smith made his initial appearance before the court and is now facing murder charges. Prosecutors say his motive to kill was over the child's paternity.

"When he found out the victim girl was pregnant he was tremendously upset, he told her he didn't want anything to do with her paternity," said a prosecutor during Smith's initial appearance.

According to detectives, Smith was a probation officer who met Lawrence while she was in juvenile detention. "The defendant met the victim, had a romantic relationship with her, and she believed the defendant was the father of her child," said the prosecutor.

The documents say after the couple broke up, Smith went back to another woman his long-term girlfriend who he'd been dating for six years. Then Lawrence revealed she was pregnant and would file for child support, forcing Smith to take a paternity test.

According to detectives, witnesses say Smith threatened to kill Lawrence, and his girlfriend threatened to leave him if the child was his.

On the day of the murder, witnesses say they saw Lawrence and Smith together. Detectives say Smith bought a handgun earlier that day, disappeared for a few hours, then at 2:30 p.m. after the reported murder he showed up to state offices to take the paternity test.

Smith denied all involvement, saying he didn't see the victim for months. Police say they have text messages and witness accounts that contradict his statements.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/man...n-in-ahwatukee

February 17, 2017

Man accused of shooting Valley woman, infant expected to change plea

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) - The case against a man accused of killing a 19-year-old Valley woman and wounding her infant may soon come to an end.

Allyn Smith, 32, is scheduled to appear in court Friday for a "change of plea" hearing, according to online court records. Smith previously pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder and intentional child abuse in the 2014 shooting of Khalli Lawrence and her 2-month old daughter, Ki'yah.

A spokesperson for the County Attorney's Office declined to comment on whether prosecutors had reached a plea agreement with Smith, but the victim's family is convinced that he will enter a plea Friday that avoids the death penalty.

"He took her life so he should pay with his. Why should his family be able to go to the jail to see him?" the victim's aunt, Latonya McFalls, said Thursday. "We have to go to a grave site to visit Khalli."

The 19-year-old mother was found shot in the back of the head execution-style on a footpath in Ahwatukee, near 18th Avenue and Liberty Lane. The 2-month-old baby was shot in the leg and survived. Smith was the father of the baby and became incensed at the prospect of paying child support, according to court records. He surrendered to police two months later.

McFalls said prosecutors had assured her family for months they would pursue the death penalty, only to abruptly change course last week. Lead prosecutor Jessi Wade did not respond to questions about the case.

McFalls said she and other family members felt "blindsided" by the decision.

"We want the court to show him the same mercy that he showed Khalli and Ki'yah, which is none," she said. "He left a newborn baby, his baby, in a park for a stranger to find. He left them for dead."

Speaking generally, Maricopa County Attorney spokesperson Amanda Jacinto said the decision on whether or not to pursue the death penalty is an involved process. A committee of senior prosecutors reviews first-degree murder cases and offers a recommendation to the County Attorney on whether to seek the death penalty based on Arizona law and past cases, according to the County Attorney's website.

If Smith does not change his plea, the case is scheduled to go to trial next month.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/345272...to-change-plea

Smith was sentenced to death in the Maricopa County Courthouse on May 24, 2018.

https://corrections.az.gov/public-resources/death-row

Strange that this guy got sentenced to death and there was zero news coverage about him. Can confirm that he was sentenced to death however.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...KvZCQKW8EJhAcB

Yes Mike, i were going through Arizona's death row where i noticed Dwandirrus Robinson and Allyn Smith were sentenced to die in the same week. Although that increases death sentences in recent years since the Obama era.

Distributed for conference April 1, 2021.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-6990.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Petition for certiorari denied.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Arizona
    Case Numbers: (CR-18-0295-AP)
    Decision Date: November 4, 2020
    Rehearing Denied: December 1, 2020

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-6990.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information