Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Christopher Lee Watts Sentenced in 2018 CO Murders of his Wife and Two Children

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Girlfriend of Christopher Watts talked with officers about fear of publicity, finding a job

By Madeline St. Amour
    Times-Call

In one of multiple interviews with Colorado Bureau of Information agents, Nichol Kessinger, who was dating Christopher Watts in the months before he murdered his family, talked about her fear of media attention and how difficult it could be to get a job.

In a video recording of an Aug. 23 interview between Kessinger and CBI Agent Kevin Koback, she tells Koback that she lost her job, asks him how to go about changing a name and discusses moving out of state.

Watts, 33, on Nov. 19 was sentenced to life in prison for the murders of his pregnant wife, 34-year-old Shanann Watts, and two young children, 4-year-old Bella and 3-year-old Celeste.

The three were reported missing Aug. 13 and their bodies were recovered a few days later at a site owned by Anadarko Petroleum Co., where both Christopher Watts and Kessinger, 30, worked at the time.

Kessinger told police that when she met Watts, he said he was separated and was soon going to sell the home he owned with his wife.

The Times-Call requested the discovery information in the case following the sentencing hearing through the Colorado Criminal Justice Records Act. The video interview between Koback and Kessinger was obtained as part of the request.

During this interview, Kessinger gave Koback her phone and signed a waiver allowing him to look at phone calls and texts between her and Watts. While Kessinger questioned why investigators needed everything from her phone, she consented to let them search it. Much would have to be recovered, though, as she had deleted everything involving Watts after she discovered he was lying to her.

"Initially, you drew concern from me when you told me that you deleted everything from Chris," Koback said, but it appears that concern dissipated. Toward the end of the interview, he told Kessinger to take her mind off the case for a while, suggesting she go out with a friend and relax.

But Kessinger was concerned about the long-term effects of her connection to the case. When Koback said she looked tired again, she said it wasn't just because of the shock of what Watts did.

"I lost my job yesterday, so that's where that comes from," she said. Kessinger had worked for Tasman Geosciences, which contracted with Anadarko Petroleum Co. She told the company her situation a few days after Watts' arrest, she told Koback, and at first they said it was fine. Aug. 22, a day later, they said they were letting her go because her contract was up.

"I have a feeling that trying to get by for the next five to 10 years is gonna be really hard," she said, expressing fears the media attention would make it hard for her to get a job. Kessinger also asked Koback how someone would go about getting a name changed, and he tried to encourage her by mentioning her ideas about moving out of state.

At one point, a victim advocate speaks with Kessinger about finding a therapist and getting her life under control.

"This shocked me just as much as it shocked the rest of the world," Kessinger said toward the end of the interview. She didn't think what Watts did happened because of a couple days, or a couple months, but that it had been developing for a long time.

She also told Koback that she thinks "he could have the capacity to do that whether I was in his life or not."

"I think a lot of people are probably gonna assume I was a catalyst," she said. But, she told police in multiple interviews that she always encouraged Watts to spend time with his children. So if she supports him being with his kids, "what would make me happy is him hanging out with his kids."

http://www.timescall.com/news/crime/...adarko-shanann
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Chris Watts Inundated With Love Letters Behind Bars: 'I Want to Get to Know You'

Chris Watts is receiving love letters from women after being sentenced to life in prison for killing his pregnant wife and two children.

Dozens of the letters to the 33-year-old were released by prosecutors.

“In my heart I know you are a great guy,” wrote a woman named Candace. "If you do write me back I’d be the happiest girl alive that's for sure."

She signed off with hashtags #TeamChris, #ChrisIsInnocent, #LoveHim and #SooooCute.

Another woman, named Tatiana, wrote, “I find myself thinking a lot about you” and sent a photo of herself in a bikini.

“I’m hoping to brighten your days,” wrote another woman named Kim.

A woman named Hannah wrote: “I feel this connection to you.”

Psychologist Dr. Judy Ho, co-host of "Face the Truth," says even the worst killers like Chris Watts have groupies who write to them, visit them, and even propose marriage.

“These women have created a fantasy life for themselves especially with their pretend relationship with these men behind bars,” she told Inside Edition.

“It is oftentimes what we talk about when women seem to be attracted by bad boys. It is because they want to be the special person that can turn this life around and be able to attribute that to their own self esteem," she said.

Other famous inmates including Nikolas Cruz, who is accused of carrying out the Parkland School massacre, Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, and Scott Peterson, who is on death row for murdering his wife and unborn child, have all reportedly received love letters from women.

Watts, from Colorado, was sentenced in November to three consecutive life sentences for killing his pregnant wife, Shan'ann, and their two daughters, 4-year-old Bella and 3-year-old Celeste, in mid-August.

He also received two more life sentences to be served concurrently, 12 years each for three counts of tampering with a deceased body, as well as 48 years for unlawful termination of a pregnancy for the death of his unborn child.

https://www.wsls.com/inside-edition/...to-know-you039
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Chris Watts not fighting wrongful death lawsuit filed by Shanann Watts’ family

The Frederick man who is serving multiple life sentences for killing his pregnant wife and their two young daughters has not fought a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the slain woman’s parents, who are working to ensure that he can’t profit from his crime.

The family of Shanann Watts first filed the wrongful death lawsuit against Chris Watts in November 2018, after he pleaded guilty to killing the pregnant 34-year-old and her daughters Bella, 4, and Celeste, 3.

In addition to making sure Chris Watts can’t collect any money from the sale of the couple’s home, the lawsuit also asks that he can’t profit from writing a book or selling the rights to tell the story of the murders, which garnered media attention from around the world.

According to court documents obtained by 9NEWS, Watts has not yet responded to the wrongful death suit, prompting Shanann’s parents Sandra and Frank Rzucek to file a motion Monday asking for what’s known as a default judgment, as the deadline for the defendant's response has passed.

This essentially means that they will automatically win the case should the judge allow it.

Chris Watts has not filed any motions or hired an attorney in relation to the wrongful death case, according to Colorado court records.

He is currently being held at a prison in Wisconsin after he was moved out of Colorado due to concerns about his safety.

Shanann Watts was last seen alive during the early morning hours of Aug. 13, 2018, when she returned home from a business trip. Her husband admitted to investigators that the two had an “emotional discussion” that morning, but falsely claimed he had no role in her death up until his Nov. 6 guilty plea.

It has since been revealed that Chris Watts was having an affair with a coworker and took trips with the woman while his wife and daughters were visiting family in North Carolina.

Chris Watts was arrested for the murders of his family on Aug. 15, 2018 – one day after he spoke to local media and implored for the safe return of his wife and daughters.

Prosecutors allege that the morning of Aug. 13, Chris Watts killed his wife and daughters and them into his pickup truck. The bodies of his daughters were found in oil drums on remote Weld County property owned by his then-employer, Anadarko. His wife was found buried in a shallow grave nearby.

When Chris Watts was formally sentenced on Nov. 26. 2018, the judge called what transpired the “most inhumane and vicious” he had ever seen. In exchange for pleading guilty to the crimes against him, the 33-year-old avoided the possibility of the death penalty.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/s...c-a062f9450a0f

A new Netflix documentary examines the case of an N.C. native who murdered his family

The 2018 murders of Shanann Watts and her two small daughters, CeCe and Bella, are the subject of a new Netflix documentary premiering next week.

"American Murderer: The Family Next Door" chronicles what led Chris Watts to kill his 34-year-old wife and their two children, ages 3 and 4, in Frederick, Colorado, and the investigation that followed.

Chris and Shanann both grew up in North Carolina, and Chris is a native of the state. Both Chris and Shanann's parents still lived here at the time of the murders.

The case gained national attention in August 2018 after Chris was interviewed by a local Colorado TV station — while wearing a North Carolina Tar Heels T-shirt — to beg for the safe return of his family.

Chris Watts said his family seemed to have vanished and he was worried someone had taken them.

But police were suspicious of Chris, and he was soon arrested. After some questioning, he led police to the bodies of his wife and daughters, and eventually confessed everything as part of a plea deal that took the death penalty off the table. He was sentenced to life in prison in November 2018.

The new Netflix documentary, streaming on Netflix on Wednesday, Sept. 30, is told entirely through archival footage with no narration, no re-enactments. That footage includes social media posts, law enforcement recordings, text messages and never-before-seen home videos. It is directed by Jenny Popplewell, who "pieces together an immersive and truthful examination of a disintegrating marriage," says Netflix.

Popplewell and Netflix believe this look at the case — and there have been many — stands out because it "gives voice to the victims and also brings urgent attention to the issue of domestic violence."

Chris and Shanann met in 2010 while they were both living in North Carolina. Chris grew up near Fayetteville, and Shanann, born in New Jersey, grew up in Aberdeen and went to high school in Southern Pines. The two married in Charlotte in 2012 and then moved to Frederick, Colorado, just outside of Denver.

Shanann and the girls had visited with her parents in North Carolina in the weeks before she was reported missing by a friend.

Shanann was buried along with her daughters in Pinehurst in August 2018.

The Watts story told in Lifetime movie, other specials

The tragic Watts story was the subject of a controversial Lifetime movie in November called "Chris Watts: Confessions of a Killer." It starred Sean Kleier as Chris Watts and Ashley Williams as Shanann Watts. Shanann's family denounced the film as an inaccurate portrait of her life.

Along with the movie, Lifetime aired a special called "Beyond the Headlines: The Watts Family Tragedy."

The Watts story was also the subject of a Reelz documentary earlier in 2019, "Capturing Chris Watts," which included some footage of Watts' horrifying confessions of how he killed his family.

The story was also told in the Investigation Discovery special, "Family Man, Family Murder," and the case was featured on an episode of "Dr. Oz" in 2019.

https://greensboro.com/news/state/a-...19a90965f.html

Edited

CONFESSION What are Chris Watts’ letters from prison and what do they say?

CHRIS Watts is in prison and will be behind bars for the rest of his life after killing his wife and two young daughters.

Letters written while serving his time revealed disturbing details of his horrific crimes.

What did Chris Watts do?
    Chris Watts killed wife Shanann Watts and daughters Bella and Celeste in Frederick, Colorado.

Police believe Watts, who was having an affair, killed them on Aug. 13, 2018.

Their bodies were found three days later.

What do Chris Watts’ letters from prison say?
    Chris Watts planned to kill his family for several hours before he committed the mass murder.

"I walked away and said, 'That's the last time I'm going to be tucking my babies.'" he wrote in one letter, according to The Daily Mail.

"I knew what was going to happen the day before and I did nothing to stop it.

"I was numb to the entire world.

I had literally taken my kids to a birthday party, played with water balloons, had an amazing time, sang songs all the way home, gave them bath a shower, ate dinner, read bedtime stories and sang bedtime songs, and still nothing registered!!

"When Shanann had to be somewhere, I always enjoyed taking the girls places or playing outside because it was our opportunity to bond, and still the night before I couldn't stop myself from what I knew would occur the next morning."

Watts revealed in a letter he smothered his young daughters TWICE after they woke to see their dead mom's blood-filled eyes.

The letter was sent to a woman named Cheryln Cadle, according to The Daily Mail.

She has written a book about the case.

What is the documentary about Watts?
    “American Murder: The Family Next Door” is available on Netflix after premiering on September 30, 2020.

"Using raw, firsthand footage, this documentary examines the disappearance of Shanann Watts and her children, and the terrible events that followed," reads the Netflix description.

A New York Times critic writes that "the film’s power rests in the British filmmaker Jenny Popplewell’s decision to eschew the traditional form of the televised crime documentary - the datelines, the dramatic narrator and emotional interviews - to construct a narrative entirely out of archival footage."

Reviewer Bilal Qureshi adds: "It is a thematic film about marriage and the deception of social media, as well as a piercing examination of domestic violence constructed with care and undeniable craft."

The documentary has left some viewers horrified.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/128624...tary-colorado/

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information