Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: William George Davis - Texas Death Row

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar

Charged with capital murder William George Davis listens to closing arguments as he stands on trial for the death of four patients at Christus Trinity Mother Frances in Tyler, on Tuesday October 19, 2021, in the 114th District Court at the Smith County Courthouse. (Les Hassell/News-Journal Photo)

Prosecution rests in punishment phase of trial for nurse convicted of killing patients

By Zak Wellerman
    The Tyler Morning Telegraph

The prosecution rested its case Tuesday morning in the punishment phase of the William George Davis trial after jurors heard from family members of the four patients the former nurse is convicted of killing.

Davis, 37, of Hallsville, who worked at Christus Trinity Mother Frances Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital, was convicted Oct. 19 of injecting air into the arterial systems and causing the deaths of John Lafferty, Ronald Clark, Christopher Greenaway and Joseph Kalina.

Davis' trial began Sept. 28 and the punishment phase for the jury to choose between life in prison without parole or the death penalty started Oct. 20.

Stephen Lafferty, the son of John Lafferty, called the impact of his father's death in 2017 at the hospital "catastrophic" and tough on the whole family.

He took the stand and through his emotions testified about how after the death, the family has taken over maintaining his father's farm.

John Lafferty retired from the U.S. Treasury as an IRS investigator. He began farming and got into hay production, his son said.

"He would do everything around the farm. He would not ask for help," Stephen Lafferty said. "So with his loss, we had to pick it up. I spent almost every weekend at the farm. I work on the tractors. I am considering retiring to help out, but I've got young kids so I can’t. I spent every minute at the farm with my mom."

Stephen Lafferty said all his sons wanted to do was go fishing and hunting when they were younger. But as they've gotten older, they’re driving tractors and helping out without complaining.

"Without him there, it’s been a chore," he said.

He said the loss has been tough on his 79-year-old mother, emotionally and due to the loss of the income.

Stephen Lafferty recalled contacting the Tyler Police after seeing the news in 2018 about Davis facing charges of murder and being under investigation.

"I was mad. You leave the hospital thinking they’re going to get treatment. When you walk away leaving there, you assume he’s in the best hands possible," Stephen Lafferty said.

He described the time waiting for the trial as "a nightmare that just will not end." Stephen Lafferty, who has worked in law enforcement for almost 30 years, said he felt helpless as the police were now helping his family.

"You try to do the best you can for the family, but when the shoe is on the other foot, you feel helpless. I was now the one being told ‘sorry.’ I will say Tyler PD did a good job," Stephen Lafferty said. "I don’t wish this on anybody."

Greenaway's brother Jeff Greenaway recalled how he had to make the decision to take his brother off of life support. He testified the loss of his brother affects the family daily.

Stephen Bryant, regional director at the Texas Department Of Criminal Justice, also testified about the differences between the conditions a person sentenced to life in prison compared to the death penalty would face.

The defense will begin its case at 1 p.m.

https://tylerpaper.com/news/crime/pr...d2f54ff81.html
    https://archive.md/nS5nU

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Former Texas Nurse Sentenced To Death For Killing Hospital Heart Patients

By CBSDFW.com Staff

TYLER, Texas (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – A jury sentenced a former Texas nurse to death Wednesday, Oct. 27 for killing four patients by injecting air into their arteries after heart surgery.

The Smith County jury deliberated about two hours before condemning William George Davis to death.

The 37-year-old Hallsville man’s sentence will be automatically appealed.

The sentence came a week after the same jury found Davis guilty of capital murder.

Jurors agreed with prosecutors that Davis killed four patients at a Tyler hospital in 2017 and 2018. John Lafferty, Ronald Clark, Christopher Greenway and Joseph Kalina suffered unexplained neurological problems and died while recovering from their heart surgeries at Christus Mother Frances Hospital.

During the trial’s sentencing phase, prosecutors played for the jury recordings of telephone calls Davis made from jail shortly after the Oct. 19 guilty verdict. In a call to his ex-wife, Davis — a nurse in the hospital’s cardiac intensive care unit — said he would find ways to prolong patients’ ICU stays so he could wore more overtime and make more money.

Prosecution experts testified that all four victims showed signs of air in their brains that caused irreversible damage. After the fourth death, security video showed Davis was the last person to see the victim before the man’s condition deteriorated.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/10/27/...eart-patients/

Judge Austin Reeve Jackson ordered William Davis to Texas' death row on October 27, 2021.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Senior Member Member
    Isn’t Texas life without parole anyway For Crimes happening after September 2005?

Yes. Any death row inmate sentenced before life without parole was adopted will have a chance at release after serving 40 years.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Davis entered Texas' death row on 10/29/21.

https://www.tdcj.texas.gov/death_row...ers_on_dr.html
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Davis’s first death row mugshot

8D51011A-69B8-4BF3-84B2-434E8FA64D13.jpeg

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Does TX force male inmates to shave their heads when they first enter death row? Or is it just a random coincidence that practically all of the males sentenced to death in TX decide to shave their heads between the time they get sentenced and the time they physically enter death row?

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Dillion Gage Compton didn't shave his head, so I don't know.

Tyler nurse sentenced to death for killing 4 patients featured in Hulu series

Criminologist and ex-FBI special agent Dr. Bryanna Fox and her class of graduate students study three convicted murderers, including William Davis.

By Zak Wellerman
    cbs19.tv

A new Hulu series features the first television interview of former East Texas nurse William George Davis who was sentenced to death for killing four patients.

Davis, who worked at Christus Trinity Mother Frances Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital, was convicted in October 2021 of causing the 2017 and 2018 deaths of John Lafferty, Ronald Clark, Christopher Greenaway and Joseph Kalina. He injected air into the patients' arterial systems.

Following his conviction, prosecutors also presented evidence that Davis may have killed patients Perry Frank, James Sanders and James Blanks. He was also accused of attempting to kill Gary Parker, Pamela Henderson, Rickie Glenn, James Wages and Jesus Serrano.

In the series "The Lesson Is Murder," which was released on Thursday, psychological criminologist and ex-FBI special agent Dr. Bryanna Fox and her class of graduate students study three convicted murderers with Davis featured in the first episode, according to the show description.

Fox and her students evaluate the murderers' personality traits and develop psychological profiles.

Jurors took just under two hours to sentence Davis to the death penalty. While on trial in the 114th District Court, Davis chose not to take the witness stand.

He is currently appealing the death sentence.

During the sentencing phase of the trial, a recorded phone call from the Smith County Jail was played in which Davis told his ex-wife that he would find ways to prolong ICU patients’ stays at the Tyler hospital where he worked.

He told her he did this to work more hours and get more money with his family’s financial situation. Davis also told his ex-wife that he accidentally caused the deaths of the patients.

“I think he deserves the death penalty, and the law supports the death penalty. Of course, he deserves it,” Smith County District Attorney Jacob Putman said as the trial came to a close.

https://www.cbs19.tv/amp/article/new...6-dc5cacaf49f1

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information