Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Renee Guyger Sentenced to 10 Years in 2018 TX Slaying of 26-year-old Botham Shem Jean

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar

Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Renee Guyger Sentenced to 10 Years in 2018 TX Slaying of 26-year-old Botham Shem Jean

OUTRAGEOUS. She is responsible for knowing which apartment is hers. She needs to be charged with murder and home invasion, which under Texas law is capital murder. Execute her.

Police: Dallas officer kills neighbor after she mistakes his apartment for her own

DALLAS (AP) — A Dallas police officer returning home from work shot and killed a neighbor after she said she mistook his apartment for her own, police said Friday.

The officer called dispatch to report that she had shot the man Thursday night, police said. She told responding officers that she believed the victim's apartment was her own when she entered it.

The responding officers administered first aid to the victim, whom the Dallas County medical examiner's office identified as 26-year-old Botham Jean. He was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead.

Police haven't released the name of the officer, who wasn't injured. She will be placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, police said.

Authorities haven't said how the officer got into Jean's home, or whether his door was open or unlocked.

At a Friday morning news conference, Sgt. Warren Mitchell acknowledged there are many questions about what happened that he couldn't answer.

"We still have a lot to do in this investigation. So there's a lot of information I understand you guys want but this is all we can give you at this time," Mitchell said.

When asked if anyone else had witnessed the shooting, Warren replied, "We have not spoken to anyone else at this time."

Police said they are conducting a joint investigation with the Dallas County district attorney's office.

https://www.wthr.com/article/police-...rtment-her-own

I have a feeling she either just moved in to the building or she was drunk. This isn't first degree murder and is a horrible mistake that she made. She doesn't deserve to die for this.

She had just moved in, I don't know if she was drunk or not but I think it's irrelevant. Her key didn't work, and this guy heard her trying to get in, he opened the door and she shot him. I've made that mistake when I lived in an apartment. I went in the wrong section, tried to unlock the door and when my key didn't work I immediately realized it wasn't my apartment. Her actions, whether it be intoxication or just failure to exercise common sense, led to the death of a completely innocent man. I am staying far away from the race baiting on the left. I don't think that him being black had anything to do with him being shot, nor do I care. But she needs to be held to the same standard of the law as everyone else. This was a home invasion resulting in death. Capital murder.

This wasn't home invasion, the officer didn't plan to commit a crime and believed that it was her home, this is manslaughter.

Multiple sources say no warrant for manslaughter or any other charges has been issued for officer in the death of Botham Jean. Texas Rangers are in charge and still investigating.

https://twitter.com/rlopezwfaa
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Now I may be wrong, but I don't believe there is an exception for home invasion if the intruder believed it was actually their home. If I see someone walking down the street wearing a jacket that I think is mine, but is actually theirs, and I forcibly remove it from them, it's still a robbery. If one of our self-proclaimed legal experts can look up the Texas criminal code for 'home invasion' (or burglary, b&e or whatever it's called in Texas) to confirm this, I'd appreciate it.

Dallas Police Seek Warrant For White Officer Who Killed Black Man In His Own Apartment

By cbslocal.com

DALLAS (CNN) — Dallas police are obtaining a warrant on manslaughter charges against a police officer who shot and killed a man after entering an apartment she mistakenly thought was her own, police Chief Ulysha Renee Hall said Friday.

The shooting took place Thursday night at the South Side Flats. The white patrol officer has not been identified, but her name will be released when she is formally charged, Hall told reporters.

The slain man was identified as Botham Shem Jean, 26, of St. Lucia.

“Right now, there are more questions than answers,” Hall said. Her initial remarks at a news conference were also posted on the Dallas police blog.

“A female Dallas police officer returned to what she believed to be her apartment after her shift ended — she was still in uniform when she encountered Mr. Jean inside the apartment,” Hall said.

The chief said it isn’t clear what “the interaction was between her and the victim. Then at some point she fired her weapon striking the victim.”

The officer called 911 and officers “responded in about four minutes,” Hall said. Rescue crews transported Jean to a hospital, where he later died.

“At the very early stages of this investigation — initial indications were that they were what we consider circumstances of an officer-involved shooting. However, as we continued this investigation it became clear that we were dealing with what appears to be a much different and very unique situation.”

Hall — who didn’t provide details on that situation — said police aren’t handling the case under the department’s usual officer-involved shooting protocol.

“A blood sample was drawn to test for drugs and alcohol, we are in the process of obtaining a warrant, and we have also invited the Texas Rangers to conduct an independent investigation,” she said, referring to the state law enforcement agency.

Jean was listed on LinkedIn as a risk assurance experienced associate at Pricewaterhouse-Coopers. He earned a bachelor’s degree at Harding University in Arkansas.

“This is a terrible tragedy,” Jean’s employer said. “We are simply heartbroken to hear of his death.”

Jean described himself on LinkedIn as a “young professional, engaged in developing a career built upon integrity, dedication and relationships, leveraging useful technologies to gain an understanding of and add value in a range (of) industries, striving towards leadership in my career, my community and society.”

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018...own-apartment/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Botham Jean's door was unlocked, lights were off when Officer Amber Guyger mistook his apartment for hers, official says

By Jennifer Emily
    Dallas News

The Dallas police officer who killed 26-year-old Botham Jean in his own apartment got inside because the door wasn’t locked, a law enforcement official said Sunday.

Officer Amber Guyger had just ended a 15-hour shift when she parked on the wrong level of the South Side Flats garage— the fourth floor instead of the third, where she lived, according to the official who has direct knowledge of the case but is not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings also said Sunday that Guyger parked on the wrong floor.

She went to the door she thought was hers but was one floor too high. The four floors of the South Side Flats in the Cedars look the same, with concrete floors and tan doors. A light fixture to the side of each door displays the apartment number.

Guyger, 30, was arrested Sunday on a manslaughter charge and was booked into the Kaufman County Jail. The Texas Rangers are investigating the case at the request of Dallas Police Chief U. Renee Hall. In the last year, juries have sentenced two police officers in Dallas County to prison time after convicting them of murder.

The night of the shooting, Guyger didn’t notice that Jean's door had a red doormat in front of it, the official said. Her entrance didn’t have one.

Guyger, who was still in uniform, put her key in the door, which was unlocked, and the door opened, the official said. The lights were out. She saw a figure in the darkness and thought her apartment was being burglarized, the official said. Guyger pulled her gun and fired twice.

When she turned on the lights, she realized she was in the wrong apartment. Jean, who worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers, was shot once in the chest.

Authorities have said Guyger and Jean, a native of Saint Lucia in the Caribbean, did not know each other. Guyger, a nearly five-year veteran of the Police Department, had recently moved into the complex.

Guyger called 911 crying, the official said. She repeatedly said, “I thought it was my apartment” and apologized to Jean.

“I’m so sorry,” she can be heard saying on the recording of the 911 call, the official said. Police arrived within four minutes.

A video taken by someone at the apartment complex shows Guyger in the hallway crying and pacing with a phone to her ear.

The video shows paramedics rushing by with Jean on a stretcher as a paramedic kneels on top of him, performing chest compressions.

Jean, who is remembered as someone who "loved mankind," was pronounced dead at Baylor University Medical Center.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dall...-official-says

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger Fired Amid Manslaughter Investigation

The department announced on Twitter that Guyger was "terminated for her actions" by Chief Ulysha Renee Hall during a hearing Monday morning

Amber Guyger, the Dallas police officer accused of manslaughter in the fatal shooting of her neighbor Botham Jean earlier this month, has been fired by the Dallas Police Department.

"An Internal Affairs investigation concluded that on September 9, 2018, Officer Guyer engaged in adverse conduct when she was arrested for Manslaughter," the department said.

Guyger, 30, told investigators she returned home at the end of her shift Sept. 6 and found the door ajar to what she believed to be her apartment.

In an arrest warrant affidavit, investigators have said Guyger described seeing a “large silhouette” in the apartment and that she gave ”verbal commands that were ignored” prior to firing the shots that killed 26-year-old Jean, her upstairs neighbor. Guyger told investigators she mistakenly believed the apartment was her own and that Jean was a burglar.

Jean’s family and their attorneys dispute those accounts and said information they gathered from witnesses will contradict Guyger’s statements.

When asked last week why Guyger hadn't been terminated, Hall said she wasn't able to terminate the officer. She elaborated Thursday with the following statement:

“There is one overriding reason that I have not taken any administrative or employment action against Officer Amber Guyger. I don’t want to interfere with the on-going criminal investigation into her actions. Here’s why. As an employer, DPD can compel Officer Guyger to provide a statement during a DPD administrative investigation and those statements given to DPD could potentially compromise the criminal investigation. That is not a risk I am willing to take. We cannot let the criminal case be determined on a ’technicality’ rather than the facts. An exhaustive and thorough criminal investigation is essential, and as soon as we are assured that conducting an administrative investigation will not impede on the criminal investigation, we will proceed.”

Darryl K. Washington, one of the three attorneys representing Jean’s family, commented on Guyger's firing Monday morning while at an unrelated "use of force" trial in Dallas County.

“The Dallas Police Department has now stepped in and made a decision which is contrary to the decision Chief Hall said was going to be made just a few days ago,” Washington said. “Obviously there has been enough information presented to the Dallas Police Department that would justify termination, so we’re hoping that now that this has happened, it’s our belief that perhaps the district attorney’s office should have enough information to move forward with an indictment.”

Attorney Lee Merritt said the chief called the attorneys and Jean’s parents last night and explained she intended to fire Guyger.

“She had to answer some tough questions from the family, specifically about why it took so long and she tried to explain the employment process could, in fact, impact the criminal investigation. In other words, if she’s faced to give a statement in protection of her job, that can infringe on her 5th Amendment right and can affect the criminal investigation. It’s a complicated question,” Merritt said.

Merritt said the family sees Guyger's termination as a victory -- especially on Monday, the same day Jean is being buried in St. Lucia. A memorial was held for Jean September 13 in Dallas before his remains were flown to his native St. Lucia.

“The nation of St. Lucia, has turned its attention to that burial service. This comes as a welcome relief, however there’s still a long way to go,” Merritt said.

During a meeting with the Dallas City Council's Public Safety Committee Monday morning, Hall recommended suspending the department's 72-hour cooling off period following an officer-involved shooting. The current cooling-off period gives the officer three days before being compelled to make an official statement on the shooting.

Hall's proposal said those statements should immediately follow an incident and that they should include mandatory drug testing. She also said she wanted to make sure there was communication with the community within five days of an incident and to expand citizen review power.

Lastly, Hall said she wants to expand the department's fairness and bias training to include every officer and not just sergeants and new recruits.

The Dallas Police Association offered no statement on Guyger's termination and said they will withhold comment until the ongoing investigation is complete.

Guyger was arrested and faces a manslaughter charge, though Dallas County prosecutors have said they will conduct their own review to determine if a murder charge or other charges are more appropriate.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Da...494145861.html

Dallas grand jury ends day without voting on indictment for ex-cop Amber Guyger

DALLAS — A Dallas County grand jury went home Wednesday without deciding whether to indict a former Dallas police officer in the shooting death of an unarmed 26-year-old in his apartment.

Grand jurors heard testimony all day about whether Amber Guyger should be charged with murder, manslaughter or nothing for killing Botham Jean in his Dallas apartment. They won’t return until Friday to either hear additional testimony or vote on an indictment.

Jean was watching a football game when Guyger fatally shot him Sept. 6. She told authorities she mistook his apartment for hers and thought Jean was a burglar.

Guyger, 30, was off-duty but still in uniform when she entered Jean’s apartment at the South Side Flats complex in the Cedars, a few blocks from police headquarters. She told authorities the door was ajar and unlocked, which Jean’s family disputed, saying he was a meticulous person who wouldn’t have left his door open.

Guyger was arrested and charged with manslaughter three days after the shooting. She was booked into the Kaufman County Jail and released on bond within an hour.

Dallas defense attorneys have said murder is the more appropriate charge for Guyger because, in Texas, manslaughter charges are reserved for reckless acts. If Guyger intended to shoot Jean, even if she wrongly assumed he was a burglar, murder would be the charge that fits best, they said.

Guyger’s attorney, Robert Rogers, has not returned phone calls seeking comment.

The Jean family’s attorneys said they were hopeful that a murder indictment would be handed up.

“Anything less, we feel, would be a miscarriage of justice,” attorney Lee Merritt said.

Merritt said Allison Jean, Botham’s mother, took the stand before the grand jury Monday. Botham’s sister, Allisa Charles-Findley, was on the stand Wednesday afternoon, Merritt said.

If Guyger is indicted on the more severe charge, she will be re-arrested. If that happens, it’s possible she could turn herself in at a jail outside Dallas County, as she did previously. It’s also possible the grand jury could decide not to charge Guyger.

A charge of murder is punishable by up to life in prison. A charge of manslaughter could come with a penalty of up to 20 years.

Jurors will return Friday because no decision was reached Wednesday. This grand jury meets Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Another Dallas County grand jury meets Tuesdays and Thursdays. The same grand jury must hear all the evidence before voting whether to indict.

The attorneys were unsure why the grand jury proceedings had stretched over multiple days, but they took it as a sign that the district attorney’s office was handling the case with “professionalism and seriousness,” Merritt said.

“This has taken much longer than even the Jordan Edwards case, where there were more live witnesses,” said Daryl Washington, another attorney for the family. “We don’t know why it’s taken this long, but the one thing that we hope that happens is the right decision comes out of this grand jury room.”

Jordan, 15, was shot and killed by a police officer as he left a house party in Balch Springs. Roy Oliver was convicted of murder and sentenced to 15 years in prison.

For weeks after Jean’s death, protesters rallied in Dallas, calling for Guyger to be charged with murder.

Guyger was fired from the Dallas Police Department on Sept. 24, the same day Jean was buried in a cemetery by the sea in St. Lucia, the Caribbean nation where he grew up.

Jean had come to the U.S. to attend Harding University in Arkansas and later moved to Dallas for a job as an accountant at PricewaterhouseCoopers. He had hoped to one day return to St. Lucia to run for prime minister.

Grand jurors began hearing evidence in the case against Guyger on Monday.

Washington said Monday that the world had its eyes and ears on Dallas as the grand jury proceedings were underway.

“The fact that there is even a possibility that this officer may not be charged with murder is something that the whole world is looking at,” he said.

Washington and Merritt are representing the family in the federal lawsuit they filed against Guyger and the city of Dallas. In the lawsuit, they argued that Guyger used excessive force and violated Jean’s civil rights and said the city could have prevented Jean’s death by providing better training to its police officers.

The Jeans met with Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson in October, and staff filled the family in on how the investigation had been going. At that point, Johnson said the DA’s office had brought in more than 200 witnesses and planned to interview more.

During the meeting, Johnson said she asked Allison Jean, Botham’s mother, whether she wanted the DA’s office to stop and go to the grand jury. But Jean said to keep going, Johnson said.

DA-elect John Creuzot has said he believes Guyger should be charged with murder. He will take office in January after defeating Johnson in this month’s elections.

https://www.gazettextra.com/news/nat...53c5bf5e1.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information