Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Juan David Ortiz Sentenced to LWOP in 2018 TX Prostitute Slayings

Accused serial killer Juan David Ortiz appears for evidence hearing

By KGNS Staff

LAREDO, TX. (KGNS) - Four years after the serial killings of four women, evidence that was collected during the arrest of Juan David Ortiz could be deemed invalid.

While his trial isn’t scheduled until next month, the former Border Patrol agent appeared at the 406th District Court for a motion to suppress evidence hearing.

During the hearing, attorneys reviewed surveillance video from gas stations that he had stopped at during the night of the alleged killings.

Joel Perez, one of the attorneys for Ortiz claims that the search of Mr. Ortiz’s vehicle was an illegal search because authorities did not obtain a search warrant for it.

“We are alleging that the vehicle was not abandoned and that it was legally parked in a public place and once it was towed to a secure area, it wasn’t going anywhere so police had a duty to obtain a search warrant for it so that’s our position”, said Perez.

The judge has not made a decision on the motion to suppress the evidence.

Ortiz' trial is expected to take place in San Antonio with jury selection on October 21st.

Perez says the jury selection may take three weeks, the actual evidence report could take two to two and a half weeks.

https://www.kgns.tv/2022/09/20/juan-...eged-killings/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Accused serial killer’s motion to suppress evidence denied

By KGNS Staff

LAREDO, TX. (KGNS) - The statement and evidence gathered by the man accused of killing four women back in 2018 will be part of the trial.

On Tuesday, Sept. 27, Judge Oscar Hale denied the motion filed by Juan David Ortiz to suppress the search done and testimony he gave the night of his arrest.

During a recent hearing, one of the attorney’s for Ortiz claimed that the search of Ortiz’s vehicle was an illegal search because authorities did not obtain a search warrant for it.

DPS Troopers testified how how Ortiz fled from his vehicle the night of the arrest.

Ortiz’s trial is expected to take place in Bexar County with jury selection on Oct. 21.

https://www.kgns.tv/2022/09/27/accus...idence-denied/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Records show findings in alleged serial killer trial after motion to suppress denied

By Zach Davis
    Laredo Morning Times

Earlier this week, the former U.S. Border Patrol agent turned alleged serial killer Juan David Ortiz had his motion denied to suppress evidence in his trial.

Defense attorney Joel Perez filed a motion on Aug. 16 to suppress the search of their client and his confession.

Court documents show that the motion was filed citing four reasons why the search and statement from Ortiz should not be allowed in his upcoming trial.

First, the defense alleged that the seizure of items, papers and effects from Ortiz was without a valid warrant, probable cause or reasonable suspicion. Second, the defense alleged that the search of a vehicle was illegal, as it was conducted without a valid warrant, probable cause or reasonable suspicion.

Third, the defense stated that the search of Ortiz's home, real property and outbuildings were conducted without a valid warrant, probable cause or reasonable suspicion, as well as valid consent. And fourth, the defense stated that all statements, written or oral, after Ortiz's arrest were "fruits of the illegal arrest and search," thus making them not voluntarily made and inadmissible.

Due to these four allegations, the defense asked the court in the motion to "suppress all evidence seized as a result of the above described arrest and search and seizure, and any and all statements, either written or oral, made pursuant to or after the arrest of the defendant."

Following a hearing on Aug. 17 and Dec. 20 regarding the defendant's motion to suppress the evidence, Judge Oscar J. Hale denied the motion Tuesday, reaffirming the July 10 ruling.

With the motion denied, the prosecution has access to numerous findings from its investigation against Ortiz.

According to the Lectric Law Library, the findings of fact and conclusions of law will often be issued after bench trials or the hearing of motions. These set forth the facts the judge found to be true and the conclusions of law he reached regarding those facts.

Per court records, the below are findings of fact and conclusions of law for the case of the State of Texas v. Juan David Ortiz originally issued in June 2020:

• The Court finds and concludes that at the time when the police initially approached Defendant Juan David Ortiz, there existed reasonable suspicion for his detention.
    • The Court finds and concludes, by clear and convincing evidence, that the moment that Defendant Ortiz fled from police and away from his vehicle, after his initial and lawful detention, he abandoned any expectation of privacy for any property inside his vehicle and the automobile exception to the warrant requirement was triggered.
    • The Court finds and concludes that at the time of the actual detention of Defendant Ortiz, approximately one hour after he had fled from the scene, he was in fact in police custody for the offense of evading arrest.
    • The Court finds that Ranger E.J. Salinas and Captain Fred Calderon read Defendant Juan David Ortiz the Miranda Rights.
    • The Court finds and concludes that Defendant Juan David Ortiz was afforded his rights under the 5th, 6th and 14th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution.
    • The Court finds that prior to Defendant Juan David Ortiz making his statement(s), the interviewing officers ensured that Defendant Ortiz's rights under §38.22 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure were explained to, and understood by, Defendant Ortiz.
    • The Court finds and concludes, by clear and convincing evidence, that, by his words and actions, Defendant Juan David Ortiz waived his rights under §38.22 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure.
    • The Court finds and concludes, by clear and convincing evidence, that Defendant Juan David Ortiz's statement(s) was/were made voluntarily and was/were the product of a free and deliberate choice.
    • The Court finds that Defendant Ortiz's continuous reference to "how the officers already knew certain things" showed Defendant Ortiz's comprehension of police investigations.
    • The Court finds that Defendant Ortiz's employment as a United States Border Patrol Supervisor demonstrates a high level of comprehension of his legal rights.
    • The Court finds and concludes that Defendant Ortiz's conduct and calm demeanor during the interview together with his desire to share details of what had occurred demonstrated a free and deliberate choice to make an intelligent and voluntary statement and inferred, by clear and convincing evidence, a willingness to waive his rights.
    • The Court finds that some of the statements and assertions of fact made by Defendant Juan David Ortiz during the interview, were unknown to the authorities at the time of the interview, and were later found to be true, and statements conducted to establish the Defendant's guilt, such as the statements and assertions of fact describing the location of the fourth victim's deceased body and the circumstances surrounding same. The Court concludes that said statements and assertions of fact further support the veracity of Defendant Ortiz's statement.
    • The Court finds, by clear and convincing evidence, that Defendant Ortiz was not coerced, deceived or intimidated during his detention and/or during his interview.
    • The Court finds, by clear and convincing evidence, that Defendant Ortiz was not induced by his own request to obtain a photograph of his family and when officer "made no guarantee."
    • The Court finds, by clear and convincing evidence, that Defendant Ortiz was not induced when the interviewing officer said "he'd put in a good word to the D.A."
    • The Court finds that Defendant Ortiz was interviewed for approximately 10 hours.
    • The Court finds and concludes that Defendant Ortiz's interview was not unreasonably long, and therefore the length of the interview did not render an otherwise voluntary statement involuntary. Moreover, the Court finds that during the interview, Defendant Ortiz was offered food and water, and Defendant Ortiz was not denied restroom breaks, and he was not threatened, coerced or mistreated at any point during the entire interview.
    • The Court finds and concludes that sufficient probable cause was contained within the four corners of the avvidavit in support of, and attached to, the search warrant issued on Sept. 15, 2018 for the search of Defendant Juan David Ortiz's residence, and the search of Defendant Ortiz's residence was therefore valid.
    • The Court further finds and concludes, by clear and convincing evidence, that during the lawful interview, Defendant Juan David Ortiz gave police consent to search his residence.

Ortiz is charged with capital murder of multiple persons, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, unlawful restraint expose to serious bodily injury and evading arrest.

Ortiz is accused of killing Melissa Ramirez, Claudine Anne Luera, Guiselda Alicia Hernandez and Jannell Ortiz in September 2018. A fifth victim identified as Erika Peña managed to escape from Ortiz and sought help from a Texas Department of Public Safety trooper.

On Aug. 17, Hale granted a change of venue that the defense had filed on grounds that the case had “extensive media coverage” creating “prejudice against the defendant that he cannot receive a fair and impartial trial in this county.”

https://www.lmtonline.com/local/arti...d-17480318.php

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

DA not seeking death penalty against alleged serial killer

César Rodriguez,
    LMTonline.com / Laredo Morning Times

Webb County District Attorney Isidro R. “Chilo” Alaniz said his office will not seek the death penalty against the former Supervisory U.S. Border Patrol agent accused of killing four women in 2018.

Juan David Ortiz was charged with capital murder of multiple persons, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, unlawful restraint expose to serious bodily injury and evading arrest.

Ortiz allegedly killed Melissa Ramirez, Claudine Anne Luera, Guiselda Alicia Hernandez and Jannell Ortiz in September 2018, according to court documents. A fifth victim identified as Erika Peña was able to escape from Ortiz and sought help from a Texas Department of Public Safety trooper. This ultimately led to Ortiz’s arrest, according to authorities.

Alaniz said that throughout this process of the case in court, he and his office have been in close contact and in private meetings with the victims’ families.

“Most recently, after we won the last motion to suppress regarding the search of the truck, I met with all the victims’ families and with the other victim that escaped,” Alaniz said. “We had a discussion as to the direction of the case. They unanimously requested of me to remove the death penalty and seek life without parole.”

As the DA, Alaniz said he had the discretion as to the direction of the case. However, taking the families’ request into consideration to heart, he made the decision to go ahead and inform the court that he would be abandoning the death penalty in lieu of life without parole.

“I believe that the evidence for guilt has always been and is very strong,” said Alaniz, taking into consideration the last two rulings where the prosecution won the motion to suppress the confession and the motion to search the vehicle.

“Justice is different for every person. The families of the victims in this case had unanimously reached the consensus that it would be better for Ortiz to spend the rest of his days locked in a cage like an animal than to have a date with the executioner.”

A relative pointed out that giving the death penalty to Ortiz would’ve been “letting him off too easy,” Alaniz mentioned.

“My job as a prosecutor is to be the instrument to bring justice to the victims and the families,” he said.

Alaniz and his team of attorneys will still try the case with the same zealousness and determination to bring justice for the victims in this case, he said.

Logistically, this changes a lot of things. Typically, a death penalty case takes two months. Now, it could be less than two weeks when and if Ortiz is found guilty. The punishment is automatic life without parole, Alaniz said.

Jury selection is set for Oct. 21. Opening statements are expected to begin on Nov. 28 in Bexar County.

https://www.lmtonline.com/local/arti...t-17489632.php
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Nobody is getting sentenced to death anymore in Texas, not even serial killers.

With the Texas death penalty slowly fading into irrelevance, Alabama has the potential to become the new Texas, if only they put themselves together and stop turning every single execution into an odyssey.

What I don’t understand is how can the Webb county DA drop the dp when the trial is taking place in Bexar County. We know the Bexar County DA wouldn’t drop it

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Bexar County hasn't had an execution in 4 years my guy...
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    The case is still handled by the Webb County DA allthough the trial will take place in a Bexar County courtroom with a jury from Bexar County. And yeah Aaron Bexar County failed to set another execution date for Carlos Trevino and has yet to set a date for Joe Luna almost one year after he exhausted appeals.

Remember that it took a year and a half to set an execution date for Wesley Ruiz after the date was requested. Victor Saldano still hasn’t received his execution date despite it being requested over a year ago. Death row inmates like to stall when it comes to execution dates so just be patient with Trevino and Luna

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Jury selection underway for accused serial killer Juan David Ortiz

By Brenda Camacho
    KGNS

LAREDO, TX. (KGNS) - Jury selection has begun for the trial of Juan David Ortiz, the former Border Patrol agent accused of a series of murders in Laredo.

The trial will be going on in Bexar County since the defense team asked for a change of venue.

On Wednesday, Ortiz was transferred to the Bexar County Jail as he awaits the start of the court proceedings.

Ortiz is charged with the capital murder of multiple persons including; Melissa Ramirez, Claudine Anne Luera, Griselda Cantu and Jannelle Ortiz.

In 2018, all four people were found dead with gunshot wounds within weeks of each other off I-35, north of Laredo.

The district attorney for Webb and Zapata County, Isidro Alaniz said he is seeking life without parole.

The trial is set to begin Nov. 28 and is anticipated to last two weeks.

https://www.kgns.tv/2022/10/21/jury-...serial-killer/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information