Thread: Christopher Paul Mason Sentenced in 2016 AZ Slaying of Joshua C. Calkins

Christopher Paul Mason Sentenced in 2016 AZ Slaying of Joshua C. Calkins

Christopher Paul Mason

2nd man charged in 2014 ax-bludgeoning death in Arizona

PHOENIX (AP) — A second man has been booked on suspicion of murder in the 2014 fatal bludgeoning of an Arizona man who investigators said was bound, gagged and struck with an ax in a killing involving people affiliated with a white supremacist prison gang.

A member of the Aryan Brotherhood was arrested eight months after the body of 40-year-old Joshua C. Calkins was found in wrapped in a blanket and tarp in an alley in west Phoenix. On Wednesday, a second man, 59-year-old Charles Eugene Robbins of Phoenix, was booked on suspicion of murder in Calkins’ death.

Robbins was originally charged in 2015 with helping an associate, who investigators said had already badly beaten Calkins, clean up the crime scene and dump the body, but at the time Robbins wasn’t accused of killing Calkins.

His case was dismissed in 2016 at the request of prosecutors, who refiled the case this week with a murder charge added on after a witness claimed Robbins had gone a step further than previously thought by participating in the killing at an apartment in Glendale.

The witness told police in early 2016 that Robbins was angry when he arrived at the apartment because Calkins was still alive, so Robbins killed Calkins by snapping his neck, according to court records. Police say Calkins’ head was nearly cut off.

Robert Shipman, an attorney who represented Robbins in his earlier case, said he is going to be assigned to represent Robbins in his new case.

“The only thing I could say at this point is he has entered a not guilty plea,” Shipman said, adding that he will work with Robbins soon once the evidence-sharing process starts in the case.

Authorities say Robbins went to the apartment to help 35-year-old Christopher Paul Mason, an Aryan Brotherhood member and the first person charged with murder in Calkins’ death, clean up the scene, hide the body in a couch, bring the sofa to Robbins’ truck and leave body in the alley about 4 miles (6 kilometers) away.

One person claims to have witnessed Mason strike Calkins with the blunt side of the ax, causing Calkins to fall to the floor, police said.

As part of the murder case, Mason is charged with assisting a criminal street gang by attacking Calkins in association with the Aryan Brotherhood.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Mason, who has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges. His trial is scheduled for November 2019.

A phone message left for Terry Lynn Lovett Bublik, one of Mason’s attorneys, wasn’t immediately returned Friday afternoon.

Investigators say Mason attacked Calkins because Calkins’ romantic relationship with a woman affiliated with the Aryan Brotherhood had ended badly and because Calkins had robbed a drug dealer who was a friend of his ex-girlfriend.

They say Calkins, who was badly beaten over the course of a day, begged for his life and was forced to offer an apology over the phone for having robbed the drug dealer.

Authorities say Calkins’ former girlfriend, 49-year-old Brenna Janette Maas, gave permission to Mason to kill Calkins.

Maas is serving a 25-year sentence for her guilty pleas to conspiring to commit kidnapping and assisting a criminal street gang in Calkins’ death.

Police say Calkins and Robbins were affiliated with the Aryan Brotherhood.

https://apnews.com/3203d38f55a44e17a5841ac37ba1f18f

Man gets 9 years in prison for moving body in ax killing

Associated Press

PHOENIX (AP) — A judge gave a nine-year prison sentence Friday to a man for convictions for helping move a dead body in the 2014 death of an Arizona man who was bound, gagged and struck with an ax in a killing involving people affiliated with a white supremacist prison gang.

Charles Eugene Robbins, who was given credit for having already served nearly seven years of the sentence, had previously pleaded guilty to hindering prosecution and abandoning a dead body in the death of 40-year-old Joshua Calkins.

“Please accept my deepest sympathy for your loss,” Robbins said to Calkins’ family before he was sentenced.

Authorities say Robbins went to the apartment where Calkins had been tortured to help Christopher Mason, an Aryan Brotherhood member who is charged with murder in Calkins’ death, clean up the scene and hide the body.

Investigators say Mason attacked Calkins because Calkins’ romantic relationship with a woman affiliated with the Aryan Brotherhood had ended badly and because Calkins had robbed a drug dealer who was a friend of Calkins’ ex-girlfriend.

They say Calkins, who was badly beaten over the course of a day, begged for his life and was forced to apologize over the phone for having robbed the drug dealer.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Mason, who has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges. His trial is scheduled for July 19.

“He maintains he is innocent,” said Terry Lynn Lovett Bublik, one of Mason’s attorneys.

Prosecutors sought an 11-year prison sentence, while Robbins asked for seven years in prison.

Authorities say Calkins’ former girlfriend, Brenna Janette Maas, gave permission to Mason to kill Calkins.

Maas is serving a 25-year sentence for her guilty pleas to conspiring to commit kidnapping and assisting a criminal street gang in Calkins’ death.

https://apnews.com/article/arizona-b...016a0935549a56
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Judge rejects bid to throw out evidence against Arizona man charged in axe killing

By Associated Press

PHOENIX (AP) — A judge rejected a bid to throw out evidence against a man charged in the 2014 killing of an Arizona man who was bound, gagged and struck with an ax in a death allegedly involving people affiliated with a white supremacist prison gang.

Attorneys for Christopher Paul Mason asked the court to toss evidence collected at a friend’s apartment where authorities say Joshua Calkins was killed.

Investigators say Mason attacked Calkins because Calkins’ romantic relationship with a woman affiliated with the Aryan Brotherhood had ended badly and because Calkins had robbed a drug dealer who was a friend of Calkins’ ex-girlfriend.

They say Calkins, who was badly beaten over the course of a day, begged for his life and was forced to apologize over the phone for having robbed the drug dealer. His body was later found wrapped in a rug and plastic in a Phoenix alley.

Defense lawyers argued Mason had a reasonable expectation of privacy as an overnight guest at his friend’s apartment and that police made illegal searches there because they didn’t have search warrants.

Superior Court Judge Timothy Ryan rejected the argument on Wednesday, saying Mason was more like a squatter than an invited overnight guest when a property manager posted a notice of abandonment on the apartment. Mason’s friend, the only registered tenant, had been arrested and hadn’t been seen in a several weeks.

In rejecting the bid to throw out evidence from the searches of the apartment, the judge concluded it was reasonable for Phoenix police to treat the apartment as abandoned.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Mason, who has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges. His trial is scheduled for July 19.

Prosecutors say efforts were made to clean up and hide evidence from the killing and noted that a bloody tissue was found in a garbage can inside the apartment. They said a witness told police she saw Mason clean up the floor twice with bleach during that period.

Last month, another man, Charles Robbins, was sentenced to nine years in prison for helping move Calkins’ body. He had pleaded guilty to hindering prosecution and abandoning a dead body.

https://ktar.com/story/4876690/judge...n-axe-killing/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Mason’s new trial date is scheduled for February 23, 2023

https://apps.supremecourt.az.gov/pub...aselookup.aspx

Mason is scheduled to be sentenced June 26, 2023

He scored a plea agreement today and changed his plea to guilty

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.go...=CR2014-158518
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Mason has been sentenced to 24Y 11M 25D for second degree murder

https://corrections.az.gov/inmate-data-search
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information