Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Gregory Bowers - Federal Death Row

Robert Gregory Bowers - Federal Death Row

Pittsburgh Synagogue shooting: Gunman 'opens fire at prayer service' leaving 'multiple dead'

The Tree of Life Congregation Synagogue has been sealed off by police

Mirror News

A gunman has opened fire in a US synagogue leaving 'multiple people dead'.

Police rushed to the scene at the Tree of Life Congregation Synagogue in Pittsburgh following reports of an active shooter.

The synagogue was full of worshippers at a prayer service when the gunman burst in and opened fire, US media is reporting.

He is also claimed to have shot at police officers.

The area has been sealed off and people are being urged to stay away.

At least four people have been confirmed dead, although the number of people killed could be as high as eight, according to news network KDKA.

The station also reports that two police officers have been shot, although it is not yet clear how seriously they were injured.

The gunman’s condition is unknown at this moment.

Officials are yet to confirm any fatalities.

A number of people remain inside the building and officers are trying to evacuate them, according to BNO News.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-new...unman-13489212
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

At least 8 dead in shooting near Pittsburgh synagogue

It is believed the suspect was armed with an an AR-15-style rifle and multiple handguns, local law enforcement said

By Kalhan Rosenblatt and Tom Winter
    NBC News

A suspect was in custody on Saturday morning after a fatal shooting with multiple casualties near the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, where Sabbath services were taking place, according to local officials.

At least eight people were reported to have died in the shooting and 12 were injured, three of whom were believed to be law enforcement, according to preliminary information from multiple senior law enforcement officials

It is believed the suspect was armed with an AR-15-style rifle and multiple handguns.

Pittsburgh Police Commander Jason Lando said there were multiple casualties and said it was imperative neighbors in the surrounding area sheltered in place.

"Do not come out. It is not safe," Lando said.

Pittsburgh Public Safety tweeted on Saturday morning that there was an active shooter in the area around the synagogue and said to avoid the area.

Jeff Finkelstein, CEO of Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh since 2004, told NBC News affiliate WPXI that he rushed to the area when he heard about the shooting.

“I just feel horrible for all those people inside,” Finkelstein said. “You know, everyone thinks about Israel in situations like this. It’s just shocking to come back to Squirrel Hill and see something like this.”

Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives' Pittsburgh field office were also responding to the shooting incident.

"There is an active shooter near the Tree of Life in Squirrel Hill. Residents, please stay indoors. Our officers are on the scene," Pittsburgh City Councilman Corey O'Connor wrote on Twitter.

President Trump tweeted about the shooting on Saturday, saying that he was keeping an eye on the unfolding events in Squirrel Hill.

"People in Squirrel Hill area should remain sheltered. Looks like multiple fatalities. Beware of active shooter. God Bless All!" Trump wrote.

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf tweeted that Pennsylvania State Police were also assisting with the shooting.

"We are still learning details about the shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh but it is a serious situation ... keep the congregants and law enforcement in your prayers," Wolf wrote.

Shabbat morning services began at 9:45 a.m. at Tree of Life Congregation, according to its website. The Conservative congregation was founded more than 150 years and is led by Rabbi Hazan Jeffrey Myers, who came to the synagogue in August 2017.

Saturday mornings are when Shabbat is observed in the Jewish faith and is typically a busy time at synagogues.

Squirrel Hill
    is considered a historic Jewish enclave and center for Jewish life in Pittsburgh, and it is considered home to more than a quarter of Jewish households in the Pittsburgh-area, according to a Brandeis University study of the Greater Pittsburgh Jewish community. More than 80 percent of Squirrel Hill residents said they had some concern or were very concerned about the rise of anti-Semitism. Many also reported incidents of anti-Semitic experiences in the past year, from insults and stereotypes to physical threats or attacks, according to the study.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...agogue-n925211
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

At least 8 dead in shooting at Pittsburgh synagogue -- live updates

CBS News

At least eight people were killed and six others injured in a shooting Saturday morning at a synagogue in a Pittsburgh neighborhood known for its Jewish population, CBS Pittsburgh/KDKA reports. The suspected shooter was identified as Robert Bowers, 48, law enforcement sources told CBS News and KDKA. Bowers surrendered and was taken into custody.

Bowers burst into the Tree of Life synagogue and indiscriminately fired in the building while shouting, "All Jews must die," police sources told KDKA. Four officers were shot during the incident, officials said. Their injuries are believed to be non-life-threatening.

Bowers was armed with a possible AK 47 and two pistols and had barricaded himself in a room at the synagogue, a law enforcement source told CBS News.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pittsbu...-live-updates/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Trump calls for death penalty, protection inside synagogue after shooting

President Trump said that the suspect responsible for killing and injuring multiple people and police officers at a Pittsburgh synagogue Saturday “should get the death penalty,” saying the suspect should “pay the ultimate price.”

Speaking to reporters ahead of boarding Air Force One, Trump addressed the “devastating” shooting that occurred Saturday morning at Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh’s Squirrel Hill neighborhood, which is predominantly Jewish.

Multiple fatalities were reported, and three police officers were shot.

“People who do this should get the death penalty,” Trump said. “I think they should stiffen up laws and I think they should very much bring the death penalty to anybody who does a thing like this to innocent people.”

He added: “They should really suffer the ultimate price—pay the ultimate price. I’ve felt this way for a very long time. People disagree with me, and I can’t imagine why.”

Earlier this month, the president called for the death penalty to be brought against “criminals” who kill police officers. The president has issued calls for a stricter death penalty policy since the 2016 presidential campaign.

The death penalty is legal in Pennsylvania, though current Gov. Tom Wolf halted the process when he took office in 2015. The last person executed under the death penalty in Pennsylvania was in 1999--the first since 1962.

Trump was asked about tighter gun laws, which he discounted, saying they had “little to do with it.”

“If they had protection inside, the results would have been far better. If they had some kind of protection inside the temple, maybe it could have been a very much different situation,” Trump said. “They didn’t have protection. They had a maniac walk in and they didn’t have any protection.”

The president added that “the world is a violent world.”

“You think when you’re over it, it just goes away,” Trump said. “But then it comes back in the form of a mad man—a whacko.”

Trump added that prior to taking office he “watched instances like this,” calling it a “shame.”

“But it’s even tougher when you’re the president of the United States,” Trump said. “You have to watch this kind of a thing happen, and it’s so sad to see.”

Trump tweeted earlier Saturday morning, saying the events in Pittsburgh were "far more devastating than originally thought," adding that he "spoke with Mayor and Governor to inform them that the Federal Government has been, and will be, with them all the way."

Vice President Pence also tweeted, "praying for the fallen," while counselor to the president, Kellyanne Conway, called the event "horrifying."

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders also reacted, saying she is "Saddened and appalled by the cowardly act of evil committed at Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh. We stand in total solidarity with the victims and all of the Jewish community against bigotry and hate."

First Lady Melania Trump also tweeted, saying that "the violence needs to stop."

"My heart breaks over the news out of #Pittsburgh. The violence needs to stop. May God bless, guide & unite the United States of America."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...after-shooting
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

To be marooned onto gab means that this guy probably got banned from just about every where else. I expect there will be a lot of character witnesses on this guy since he sounds like a full blown loon.

I don't believe that he will get the death penalty since to me this guy appears to be insane. However juries in western PA are generally more conservative than the eastern part so he may get it.

Hearing about this incident while I was guarding a Synagogue on the other side of the state was extremely unsettling.

This is prominent to become a Federal and/or State Death Penalty case. Trump calls for the death penalty. This is similar in comparison to Dylann Roof in South Carolina.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    Agreed. I don’t think Trump is gonna let this one slip - and honestly, who can blame him?
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

So this could be a potential federal death penalty case? As to the 11 who have died so far, is that of police officers?

In a more serious note, this is worse than Dylann Roof. As to Federal Hate Crimes being filed, that alone would give a federal grand jury and federal prosecutors an option to seek the death penalty.

Governor Tom Wolf should be removed from office to allow an incumbent DP Governor to take over. We will see what happens in the mean time.

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Both the federal government and the state of Pennsylvania literally execute no one. While he may be sentenced to death, he will not be executed. Our best hope is that he succumbs to his gunshot wounds, or is murdered/commits suicide in prison.

On a side note, I don't think the federal government should be stepping in to prosecute state crimes, and I think all "hate crime" laws should be abolished.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information