Thread: Casey Parsons Sentenced to LWOP in 2011 NC Murder of their Adoptive Daughter Erica Parsons

Casey Parsons Sentenced to LWOP in 2011 NC Murder of their Adoptive Daughter Erica Parsons

Erica Parsons

Casey Stone Parsons

Sandy Parsons

DA to seek death penalty in case against adoptive father of Erica Parsons

By WBTV Web Staff

SALISBURY, NC (WBTV) - Prosecutors will seek the death penalty in the case against Sandy Parsons, the man who led investigators to the remains of the adopted daughter he is now accused of killing.

Sandy Parsons was charged with murder in the death of Erica Parsons. He made his first court appearance last month.

He had been serving time in federal prison on fraud charges.

In August of 2016, Parsons led investigators to a shallow grave on his family's property in South Carolina. It was there that the remains of Erica Parsons were found.

The girl had been missing since November 2011, but only reported missing in July 2013.

Sandy Parsons and his wife Casey Parsons were indicted by a grand jury on charges of first-degree murder, felony child abuse inflicting serious injury, felony concealment of death, and felony obstruction of justice.

Sandy was previously serving time in a federal prison in Michigan.

"I was abused as a child, Erica’s abuse was mine times 10," Carolyn Parsons, Erica's biological mother, said. "I hope that this haunts them for the rest of their lives. I hope they never have a minute’s peace. I hope it destroys them.”

Erica Parsons came to the attention of the public at the end of July in 2013 when her adoptive brother reported that she was missing from the family's home on Miller Chapel Road in Salisbury.

Jamie Parsons also told investigators that Erica had not been seen since November 2011.

A nationwide search involving several law enforcement agencies turned up no trace of the young girl.

Rewards were offered, billboards posted, and Erica's adoptive parents even appeared on the Dr. Phil Show to say that they believed Erica was still alive.

Sandy and Casey Parsons said that they had delivered Erica to live with her grandmother in Asheville.

From the beginning, investigators said that they did not believe the claims made by Erica’s adoptive parents.

In 2014 Sandy and Casey Parsons were convicted on federal fraud charges for continuing to accept federal adoption assistance money long after Erica had disappeared.

Jamie Parsons testified that Erica was forced to live in a closet, was given dog food to eat, had her fingers bent backward by her adoptive mother, and was beaten.

Investigators say Casey and Sandy Parsons murdered Erica Parsons in November 2011 and hid her body in a shallow grave on family property in South Carolina.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/37878986/p...-erica-parsons
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Updated: April 4, 2018

TIMELINE of the Erica Parsons case

By wsoctv.com

Feb. 24, 1998: Erica Parsons born to Carolyn Parsons.

1998: Casey Stone Parsons and Sandy Parsons, Erica’s uncle and aunt, adopt Erica.

March 2002: Department of Social Services investigates accusations of abuse to Erica. DSS found no signs of abuse.

Nov. 19, 2011: Erica Parsons last seen by adoptive brother.

Feb. 2012: Attorney for adoptive parents say couple had last conversation with Erica.

June 2012: Missing persons report filed for Erica’s adoptive sister, Brook Parsons. She came home while investigators were there.

July 30, 2013:
    Erica Parsons reported missing by adoptive brother.

July 31, 2013: Casey and Sandy Parsons' two youngest children removed from the home.

Aug. 6, 2013: Rowan County Sheriff’s Office says Erica Parsons’ adoptive parents not cooperating.

Aug. 12, 2013: Erica Parsons’ biological mother returns to N.C. from New Orleans to speak with investigators. Casey and Sandy Parsons film a segment in L.A. for the Dr. Phil show.

Aug. 14, 2013:
    Police, SBI and FBI search the home of Erica Parsons' adoptive parents.

Aug. 15, 2013: Search warrants released after search of home, adoptive mother hospitalized.

Aug. 16, 2013: Casey and Sandy Parsons served with juvenile summons.

Aug. 20 & 21, 2013: Casey and Sandy Parsons appear on Dr. Phil show to talk about case.

Aug. 21, 2013: Search warrant executed on storage shed on the China Grove property of Sandy Parsons' father.

Aug. 22, 2013: Casey and Sandy Parsons appear in court to fight for custody of their two youngest children.

Aug. 23, 2013: Neighbors hold vigil for Erica Parsons outside her home.

Aug. 26, 2013: 15 billboards featuring Erica Parsons to be put up around the Charlotte area. Casey and Sandy Parsons again interviewed by the FBI.

Aug. 27, 2013: Casey and Sandy Parsons packed a moving truck at their Salisbury home and moved to Fayetteville to escape media attention

Sept. 1, 2013: Erica Pasons' biological mother told Eyewitness news that she is now pushing for a law named "Erica" that will demand more oversight for home schooling in North Carolina.

Sept. 4, 2013: Detectives said there is no video evidence that relates to the case after surveillance video was taken from a home across the Parsons’ former home.

Sept. 12, 2013: Parsons attend custody meeting at Rowan County DSS. They are led into a special back entrance into DSS to avoid media attention.

Sept. 17, 2013:
    People in Rowan County held a third vigil for Erica Parsons.

Sept. 25, 2013:
    The adoptive family of Erica Parsons was evicted from their Salisbury home.

Oct. 9, 2013:
    Rowan County Emergency Services said they are turning over evidence to the FBI after a fire at the former home of Erica Parsons.

Nov. 13, 2013:
    The adoptive grandfather of a missing Rowan County teenager said he regrets not asking more questions about her disappearance.

Dec. 23, 2013:
    A search warrant states a cadaver dog has found the possibility of human remains in connection with the search for a missing Rowan County teen.

Jan. 16, 2014:
    Judge orders Parsons' children to stay with their aunt and are not going back to their parents, Sandy and Casey Parsons.

Jan. 30, 2014:
    The FBI is offering an additional $25,000 reward in connection to the Erica Parsons case. The Rowan County Sheriff's Office was already offering $10,000 in the case.

April 15, 2014:
    DHHS removed Casey and Sandy Parsons' two youngest children from their custodial home because of major behavioral issues.

May 14, 2014:
    Dozens of people have signed a petition asking Gov. Pat McCrory to get involved in the search for a missing Rowan County girl.

June 24, 2014:
    Lead detective in Parsons' case leaves Sheriff's Office.

July 2, 2014:
    Biological mother of Erica Parsons plans vigial ahead of one-year anniversary of her disappearance.

July 18, 2014:
    FBI agents continue to interview the adoptive parents of a missing Rowan County teenager and they are also tailing the couple’s movements.

July 30, 2014:
    Sandy and Casey Parsons, the adoptive parents of Erica Parsons, were arrested on 76 fraud and identity theft charges.

Aug. 1, 2014:
    Vigil held for Erica Parsons.

Aug. 6, 2014:
    Adoptive parents of Erica Parsons plead not guilty to fraud charges.

Aug. 13, 2014:
    Casey and Sandy Parsons file to continue fraud case.

Aug. 19, 2014:
    Judge continues Parsons trial until mid-October.

Oct. 13, 2014:
    Jury selection begins in Sandy Parsons fraud, ID theft trial.

Oct. 27, 2014:
    Jury convicts Sandy Parsons on 43 counts of embezzlement, mail fraud.

Dec. 11, 2014:
    A hearing scheduled to determine if the parents would lose all rights to two of their children was continued.

Jan. 30, 2015:
    A motion was filed to delay the sentencing of Casey Parsons.

Feb. 18, 2015:
    Sentencing for the Parsons was adjourned and rescheduled for March.

March 27, 2015:
    Casey and Sandy Parsons sentenced

Jan. 28, 2016: Judge denies appeal by Erica Parsons’ adoptive father

July 28, 2016: FBI releases new poster in search for Erica Parson

Sept. 27, 2016: Erica Parsons’ body was found in a field in Chesterfield County. Investigators said her adoptive father, Sandy Parsons, told them where she was buried.

July 18, 2017: The Rowan County community holds a funeral service and Erica Parsons is finally laid to rest.

Jan. 9, 2018: Erica Parsons' autopsy released

Feb. 20, 2018:
    Casey and Sandy Parsons are charged with first-degree murder, felony child abuse, felony concealment of death, and obstruction of justice in connection with Erica Parsons' death.

Apr. 4, 2018: DA seeks death penalty for Sandy Parsons in the death of Erica Parsons

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/mi...line/335137986
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Prosecutors will seek death penalty for both of Erica Parsons' adoptive parents

By Jane Wester
    Charlotte Observer

Prosecutors will seek the death penalty against both of Erica Parsons' adoptive parents nearly two years after the girl's body was found with signs of abuse in a rural corner of upstate South Carolina.

The Rowan County District Attorney's Office announced Thursday that Erica's adoptive mother, Casey Parsons, will face a capital case, reported Observer news partner WBTV. The same announcement was made last week for Erica's adoptive father, Sandy Parsons.

Both adoptive parents have been serving federal prison sentences on fraud charges, including cashing adoption assistance checks after Erica disappeared.

They were indicted for murder and felony concealment of death in February.

Erica was reported missing in summer 2013, but no one had seen her since before Christmas 2011. It's not clear exactly when she died, but she was likely 12 or 13 at the time.

Her body was found in Chesterfield County, S.C., in September 2016. An autopsy found that she suffered terribly before she was killed, and her adoptive parents' indictment said they cut her corpse into pieces.

Investigators found that Erica was beaten, starved as a form of punishment and forced to live a life of servitude after she was adopted as an infant. The Parsons' oldest biological son testified that Erica was often locked in closets and abused by other children in the family.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...208673534.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    My comment will lookalike à Facebook comment, but I want to tell you "I hate child killers"
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Erica Parsons’ Biological Mother Speaks Two Years After Her Remains Were Discovered

By Marvin Beach
    wccbcharlotte.com

SALISBURY, N.C. – Next week marks two years since investigators discovered the remains of 13-year-old Erica Parsons. Her adoptive parents are charged with first degree murder in her death.

“Anniversaries are very hard. I try not to, but it’s very hard not to think about them,” says Carolyn Parsons, who is Erica’s biological mother.

She is back in Rowan County this weekend and plans to visit the cemetery where Erica rests.

“I tell myself, that I should be over this by now. I don’t, I don’t have closure, I don’t have anything,” Parsons says.

13-year-old Erica Lyn Parsons disappeared in 2011.

Investigators say she was dead more than a year and a half before she was reported missing in 2013.

Her adoptive parents Casey and Sandy Parsons are accused of killing her.

Two years ago next week, Sandy led investigators to her remains, buried in a shallow grave in Chesterfield, South Carolina.

Carolyn says she’s not sure we will ever figure out why Erica was killed.

“Me and everybody else in the world knows, even on the stand, they are incapable of telling the truth. Nobody’s going to ever know why, not even me,” she says.

https://www.wccbcharlotte.com/2018/0...re-discovered/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Sandy and Casey Parsons in court, no date set for trial

Defense attorneys say they need more time

By David Wisenant
    WBTV 3 News

ROWAN COUNTY, NC (WBTV) - Sandy and Casey Parsons, both facing the death penalty for the murder of their adopted daughter Erica, were in court on Wednesday in Salisbury.

The purpose of the hearing was to set dates for the murder trials of both suspects, but the judge did not do that.

District Attorney Brandy Cook wanted the judge to set a trial date in September, 2019, but defense attorneys argued that the September date would not give them enough time to prepare the case.

“To get these cases moving forward, I think we need to set a trial date,” Cook said.

“I’ve never seen a case where six months into it there’s a trial date set...for a capital case, at the first administrative setting,” said defense attorney Robert Campbell.

Ultimately, Judge Anna Mills Wagoner set February 14 as the date for a second administrative hearing.

“I understand that there are things that need to be done," said Erica’s biological mother, Carolyn Parsons. "This is just another step closer to where we need to be.”

The case came to the attention of law enforcement and the public on July 29, 2013. On that day, following an argument with his parents, Jamie Parsons reported to the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office that his adopted sister was missing from the families home on Miller Chapel Road in Rowan County.

Jamie Parsons also told them that Erica Parsons, who would have been 15 at the time, had been missing since November, 2011.

Five years later those parents, Sandy and Casey Parsons, remain in the Rowan County Detention Center awaiting trial, both charged with first-degree murder, felony child abuse inflicting serious injury, felony concealment of death, and felony obstruction of justice.

https://www.wbtv.com/2018/10/31/sand...er-trials-set/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Death penalty trial date tentatively set for Erica Parsons' adoptive mother

By Robin Kanady
    Fox 48 Charlotte

ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) - A judge set the trial date for Casey Parsons, the adoptive mother accused of killing her adopted daughter, Erica Parsons, for April 2020.

Casey Parsons, along with her husband, Sandy, appeared in court Thursday morning. The pair are charged with the murder of their adoptive daughter, 13-year-old Erica Parsons. Both are facing the death penalty.

Prosecutors asked the judge not to join Casey and Sandy Parsons for a joint trial. A trial date has not yet been set for Erica’s adoptive father, Sandy.

http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/l...r-due-in-court

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Casey Parsons, adoptive mother of murdered teen Erica Parsons, pleads guilty

By Charlotte Observer

Almost exactly six years to the day she was reported missing, Erica Parsons adoptive mother, Casey Parsons, has pleaded guilty to murder and child abuse in Erica’s death.

The plea was announced on Friday morning in Rowan County Superior Court. Parsons will spend the rest of her life in prison.

On July 30, 2013, Erica’s adoptive brother Jamie Parsons went to the Rowan Sheriff’s Office to report that Erica had been missing from the family home on Miller Chapel Road since sometime in November or December of 2011.

Jamie Parsons had been in a physical altercation with his parents, Sandy and Casey Parsons, and said they had kicked him out of the house.

That incident began a six year odyssey that included a national television appearance on the Dr. Phil Show for Sandy and Casey, as well as the involvement of dozens of law enforcement officers from the local, state, and federal level conducting extensive property searches and hundreds of interviews.

From the beginning, investigators said that Casey and Sandy were lying about what happened to Erica. According to Casey, the teen had gone to live with her paternal grandmother “Nan” in Asheville.

“What did police say when they showed up? That we had killed Erica and buried her in our backyard,” Casey Parsons said in an interview with WBTV soon after Erica was reported missing. “It’s been a year and half, why didn’t you call police? Because she’s not missing. She’s at Nan’s house and the last time we talked to Erica in February 2012 she was fine.”

That story was soon discredited when no one could locate the mysterious Nan.

In 2014 both Casey and Sandy were convicted in federal court of keeping federal adoption assistance money after Erica had disappeared from their home. Casey Parsons was sentenced to 10 years in prison, Sandy to 8 years.

Testimony at the fraud trial unveiled a pattern of abusing Erica, who was adopted and lived with the family from 2000 until she disappeared in 2011.

Those witnesses included a woman who says she hired Casey to be a surrogate mother and deliver her baby. Casey claimed she miscarried the child. She later successfully delivered the baby and tried to sell the child to her sister, Robin Ashley, for $10,000.

Ashley took the stand saying that Casey beat Erica and made her stand in the corner often. Pictures were shown of Erica standing in that corner on five different occasions.

Ashley said she saw bruises and marks on Erica. Casey gave Erica to Ashley to look after for a few months so that she “wouldn’t kill her,” Ashley said. Adding that Casey “couldn’t stand the sight of her face.” Ashley said her sister told her she had lost control and assaulted Erica.

Sandy Parsons has allegedly admitted his “harsh treatment” of the girl, including beating her with a belt, bending her fingers backward, locking her in a closet and choking her. According to the warrant, UNC School of Medicine Dr. Cynthia Brown called the abuse “child torture.”

In one of the most disturbing testimonies, Casey and Sandy’s son, Jamie, claimed that he, his sister, and both of his parents would routinely abuse Erica.

His testimony included claims that Casey bent Erica’s fingers backwards so far that they broke. He said Erica was not given access to a bathroom, and when Casey found out that Erica had relieved herself she would be beaten. He also said food was often withheld from Erica and she was forced to eat dog food out of a can.

The night Jamie last saw Erica, in late 2011, he says she was standing in the corner being punished.

“She looked like a zombie,” he said in court. He said her face was pale white and she told him that she “didn’t feel good, couldn’t breathe too good.”

When Erica told Casey that she didn’t feel well, she reportedly told Erica to “shut the [expletive] up” and Jamie went to bed, he testified.

The next morning, he says Casey and Sandy weren’t home when he woke up. They didn’t return until later in the day and when they did, Jamie says, Sandy looked sick, “like he was about to throw up,” and didn’t talk. Casey looked normal, he said.

Jamie says when he asked Casey where Erica was, she told him they took her to her grandmother’s house.

In 2016 human remains thought to be those of Erica Parsons were found in the Pageland Mount Croghan area of Chesterfield County, SC, on land owned by members of the Parsons family..

According to a release from the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office, they, along with the FBI, obtained leads in August of 2016 that Erica was “more than likely deceased.” On September 27, the release states, the remains were located. They were then sent to the NC Medical Examiner’s Office and were identified as the young girl.

“That day in South Carolina was tough on all of us,” Rowan County Sheriff Kevin Auten said in announcing the charges. “I saw some pretty tough cops take it pretty rough.”

Law enforcement officials said Sandy Persons led them to the site where Erica’s remains were found and was crying when he got back in the police car.

In 2017 a funeral was held at First Baptist Church in Salisbury for Erica Parsons.

“This is such a tragic story. Our community, our law enforcement, they need closure. They need to say that this life mattered though most of us never met Erica Parsons,” said Dr. Kenneth Lance, who as pastor of First Baptist, officiated at the service. “We have a responsibility to protect and make sure that they flourish and she’s a symbol of that and a reminder of our responsibility as a community to do just that.”

In 2018 the Medical Examiner’s office released Erica’s autopsy. The autopsy states that “fractures documented at autopsy are consistent with multiple blunt force injuries over a prolonged period, and the growth deficit and low bone density are consistent with malnourishment. The description of the decedent just prior to her disappearance suggests she may have been the suffering from untreated infection/sepsis, rhabdomyolysis, renal failure, or poisoning at that time, all of which could have caused her death.”

The autopsy goes on to state that “Given the history of physical abuse, and signs of physical abuse present at autopsy, we cannot exclude the possibility of a terminal blunt force injury, suffocation or strangulation.”

In March of 2018 Casey and Sandy Parsons were charged with Erica’s murder. Casey Parsons was originally charged with first degree murder, felony child abuse inflicting serious injury, felony concealment of death and felony obstruction of justice.

“There’s people that think the Parsons should have already been hung on the square,” Auten said. “But they’ll have their day in court. We’ll let a jury decide their fate.”

Sandy Parsons is facing charges of first degree murder, child abuse, felony concealment of death and felony obstruction of justice. He remains in the Rowan County Detention Center.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...233435202.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Trial date set for adoptive father of Erica Parsons

By David Whisenant
    WBTV News

ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. (WBTV) - Sandy Parsons, the adoptive father of murdered teenager Erica Parsons, was in court in Rowan County on Thursday.

Parsons was in court with his attorney as a trial date was set for April 6, 2020.

Sandy Parsons is charged with first degree murder, child abuse, concealment of death, and obstruction of justice.

A motion has been filed by an attorney representing Sandy Parsons for a change of venue to have the trial moved from Rowan County.

In August, Sandy’s wife, Casey Parsons, the adoptive mother of Erica Parsons, pleaded guilty as charged to murder and child abuse and was sentenced to every day in prison that she legally can be, which is life without the possibility of parole, plus additional consecutive sentences totaling approximately 23 years, and these sentences will be served at the expiration of her current federal sentence, according to Rowan County District Attorney Brandy Cook.

The story began on July 30, 2013, Jamie Parsons went to the Rowan Sheriff’s Office to report that Erica had been missing from the family home on Miller Chapel Road since sometime in November or December of 2011.

Jamie Parsons had been in a physical altercation with his parents, Sandy and Casey Parsons, and said they had kicked him out of the house.

That incident began a six year odyssey that included a national television appearance on the Dr. Phil Show for Sandy and Casey, as well as the involvement of dozens of law enforcement officers from the local, state, and federal level conducting extensive property searches and hundreds of interviews.

From the beginning, investigators said that Casey and Sandy were lying about what happened to Erica. According to Casey, the teen had gone to live with her paternal grandmother “Nan” in Asheville.

In 2014 both Casey and Sandy were convicted in federal court of keeping federal adoption assistance money after Erica had disappeared from their home. Casey Parsons was sentenced to 10 years in prison, Sandy to 8 years.

Sandy Parsons has allegedly admitted his “harsh treatment” of the girl, including beating her with a belt, bending her fingers backward, locking her in a closet and choking her. According to a warrant, UNC School of Medicine Dr. Cynthia Brown called the abuse “child torture.”

Law enforcement officials said Sandy Persons eventually led them to the site in South Carolina where Erica’s remains were found and that he was crying when he got back in the police car.

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/10/24/tria...erica-parsons/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information