Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joseph Matthew Tejeda Sentenced to 25 Years in 2016 TX Murder of Breanna Wood

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Corpus Christi tattoo studio says it won't remove murder suspect's tats for free

By Eleanor Dearman
    The Corpus Christi Caller-Times

A Corpus Christi tattoo parlor disputes claims made in court filings it would remove a murder suspect's tattoos for free.

Attorneys for Joseph Tejeda filed a document earlier this month in Nueces County stating a local tattoo shop will remove his face tattoos at no charge if the court OKs it. In an interview with the Caller-Times, the owner of the shop said that's not the case.

Tejeda's attorneys filed the motion requesting his facial tattoos be removed or covered up during trial. The document states "Pinnacle Tattoo ... agreed to offer their services pro bono to Mr. Tejeda and his legal team."

However, when reached by phone, Tina Lain, who heads up Pinnacle Laser Tattoo Removal, L.L.C., said that was "absolutely" not the case.

"I am absolutely not providing services to the individual, period," Lain said. "But I'm especially not, I never agreed to do anything pro bono."

Tejeda is charged with capital murder and other crimes related to the death of 21-year-old Breanna Wood. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty. Tejeda is one of seven charged with crimes in connection with Wood's death.

Tejeda's attorneys argue his risk of wrongful conviction will be greater if Tejeda is forced to go to trial with his face tattoos visible.

"Although jurors are only to consider the facts of the case, there is no doubt that a defendant's appearance will influence a juror's decision throughout the trial," the document states. "Although people get tattoos for a variety of reasons, they have an inherent effect on people's perception of a person with them.

"Most people harbor negative feelings about people with tattoos often associating those who have them with criminalized behavior."

According to the document, three of the four facial tattoos are gang related and the fourth is a "saint of death," which the document states "would come across as offensive and intimidating to a jury."

"To ensure Mr. Tejeda obtains a fair and reliable trial, the Court should allow the removal of Mr. Tejeda's facial tattoos," the document states.

If this is not allowed, Tejeda's attorneys request the tattoos be covered up with makeup.

Lain said she was not aware the motion naming her shop had been filed.

"I had one singular conversation with (an attorney for Tejeda)... where we did discuss tattooing, what some of the ill ramifications are in terms of visual conception, but no he completely took that and ran with it."

Law enforcement discovered Wood's remains in an abandoned trailer off state Highway, 666 near Robstown, in early January 2015.

The motion has not yet been heard before a judge. Attorneys for Tejeda have filed more than 40 different motions that are being heard incrementally before the court.

http://www.caller.com/story/news/loc...ree/373578002/
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Judge denies motion to remove death penalty from suspect in Breanna Wood's death

By Alexandria Rodriguez and Eleanor Dearman

The death penalty remains on the table for capital murder suspect Joseph Tejeda, who is accused in the death of Breanna Wood.

Judge Jack Pulcher, of the 105th district court, on Friday denied a motion from Tejeda's attorneys, Fred Jimenez and Dee Ann Torres, that the death penalty not be considered.

Tejeda, 27, is charged with capital murder, engaging in organized criminal activity, tampering with evidence and abuse of a corpse. The state is seeking the death penalty against him and Sandra Vasquez, who is also charged with capital murder in connection with Wood's death.

A third person, Christopher Gonzalez, is also facing a capital murder charge, but prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty in his case. They are three of seven people charged with crimes related to the 21-year-old.

Wood's remains were found in early January 2017 after she was last seen with Tejeda at a convenience store in October 2016.

It was decided at a previous hearing that motions filed by Tejeda's attorneys would be heard in increments of 10. At his last hearing, among other motions, his attorneys requested he be allowed to appear in court wearing "civilian clothes" and that he not be shackled. Those requests were denied.

His attorneys have also filed a motion requesting his facial tattoos be either removed or covered with makeup for his trial.

The district attorney's office explained to the court that Tejeda's attorneys have said "three to four of Tejeda's tattoos are gang-related," and would "come across to a jury as intimidating."

Tejeda's attorneys requested more time on that motion while they find an expert to speak about the tattoos.

His attorneys also filed a motion requesting more time with Tejeda to work on his case. They requested they all meet in a room at the Nueces County Jail or in an empty jury room and that Tejeda be unshackled.

Pulcher granted the request for more time, but denied the request that Tejeda be unshackled. Appellate council was also granted for Tejeda.

Another granted motion will allow attorneys to meet with potential members of the jury on a one-on-one basis in front of the court.

A trial date has not been set.

https://www.caller.com/story/news/lo...ath/534561002/
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Suspect in Breanna Wood's death will keep capital murder indictment

By Eleanor Dearman

Sandra Vasquez is still facing a capital murder charge in the killing of Breanna Wood, despite a request from her attorneys to throw out an indictment against her.

Vasquez, 42, is one of three people charged with capital murder in Wood's death nearly two years ago. She and Joseph Tejeda are facing the death penalty.

A third suspect, Christopher Gonzalez, also faces a capital murder charge, but prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty against him.

During a hearing Monday, prosecutors and Vasquez's attorneys debated whether a remuneration designation tied to the capital murder charge was appropriate in Vasquez's case.

Her attorneys previously filed a motion requesting the court toss out the indictment and discharge Vasquez, court records show. That request was denied during a Monday hearing in Judge Jack Pulcher's 105th District Court.

Remunerate is defined as "to pay an equivalent for" and "to pay an equivalent to for a service, loss, or expense," according to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary. This is one of several definitions prosecutors list in a court document responding to Vasquez's attorneys request.

Vasquez's indictment states that "in consideration for Sandra Vasquez not killing Joseph Tejeda and/or not having Joseph Tejeda killed by a third party, from Joseph Tejeda, and pursuant to the agreement, Joseph Tejeda did then and there intentionally and knowingly cause the death of the complainant by shooting Breanna Wood with a firearm ... "

Attorneys for Vasquez argued because there was no monetary gain or benefit involved — only a threat — the case does not fit the category of capital murder while remuneration. That "remuneration" designation is what elevates the case to a capital murder charge, her attorney Richard Rogers said in court.

"Of course we vigorously deny the facts of the allegation ... but we're saying that even if they are true, it's not a capital murder and for that reason we are asking it be quashed because we are entitled to be charged with a offense that's set out by the law," Rogers said.

Prosecutors argued that remuneration is significantly met and that there's no monetary requirement, based on dictionary definitions and past cases.

"We believe in this case ... this particular murder was carried out on the promise that the actor would not be killed, the specific promise, I wont kill you if you kill her," Prosecutor Douglas Norman said. "That's a significant benefit, maybe not a monetary benefit, a pecuniary benefit, but nonetheless a significant...benefit that he was to receive in exchange for his killing."

Law enforcement found the remains of Wood, 21, in early January 2017. She was last seen with Tejeda at a convenience store in October 2016.

A trial date for Vasquez has not yet been set.

https://www.caller.com/story/news/lo...ent/543038002/

Woman accused of tampering with evidence in Breanna Wood death denied bail reduction

By Eleanor Dearman

The mother of an accused killer rented the U-Haul truck used to transport his victim's body, according to prosecutors.

Rosalinda Musella is accused of tampering with evidence in the slaying of 21-year-old Breanna Wood. On Monday, Musella was in court, where her attorney asked for a second time that her bail be reduced.

Musella's ex-husband testified on her behalf. Their son Joseph Tejeda is one of three people charged with capital murder in connection with Wood's death.

Tejeda and Sandra Vasquez face the death penalty. Prosecutors have said they are not seeking it for co-defendant Christopher Gonzalez.

Musella's attorney, Michele Villarreal-Kuchta, asked the bail be dropped from $150,000 to $25,000, court documents show. She made a similar request in February. .

Judge Jack Pulcher, who oversees the 105th District Court, denied both requests.

Jose Tejeda, Joseph Tejeda's father who said he lives with Musella, testified that he was not able to pay the current bail amount. He said he had not made efforts to talk to a bank to get a loan because he had surgery on his foot.

"She rented the truck ... so he could move out, that's what she did," he told the court. "So he could move out of the apartment that he was in."

Prosecutor Reynaldo Pena painted a different picture of what happened.

"Not only was a U-Haul rented, but it was rented for the purpose of transporting Breanna Wood's dead body to a place where the body was going to sit for over 80 days and evidence was going to ... decompose," he told the court.

"This is a case where a body was being hidden, so this is a serious case with a serious bond, and we want it to stay the same," he continued.

Pena also argued Jose Tejeda hadn't made sufficient efforts to secure financing to pay Musella's bail.

Villarreal-Kuchta argued the $150,000 bail was excessive and a hardship for Musella. She said prosecutors have said they're not ready to go to trial, whereas she has been "since day one."

"This is oppressive, and she's not a flight risk," Villarreal-Kuchta said.

Wood's remains were found in an abandoned trailer off state Highway 666 near Robstown in January 2017 after her mother filed a missing person report for her in October 2016.

Magdalena Yvette Carvajal, also charged with tampering with evidence, appeared in court later in the day. She pleaded not guilty to an unrelated assault family violence charge from May 2015.

Court records show she was indicted on the charge in late December 2017. Carvajal's indictment accuses her of hitting a member of her household or someone she was dating with her hand in the May incident.

https://www.caller.com/story/news/lo...ion/565015002/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Lawyers await DNA report in Breanna Wood murder case

By Eleanor Dearman

Attorneys are expected to soon have DNA testing results related to the slaying of 21-year-old woman who went missing in October 2016.

During a hearing Monday, attorneys said a final DNA report in the case against Joseph Tejeda is expected to be ready next week.

A preliminary report has already been prepared.

Tejeda, 27, is charged with capital murder, engaging in organized criminal activity, tampering with evidence and abuse of a corpse. He appeared before 105th District Judge Jack Pulcher Monday morning.

Prosecutors and attorneys representing Tejeda also discussed discovery motions. The court has been hearing motions filed by the defense in 10-motion increments.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Tejeda and Sandra Vasquez, who is also charged with capital murder in the death of Breanna Wood. Christopher Gonzalez is also facing a capital murder charge, but prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty in his case.

In all, seven people have been charged with crimes related to the 21-year-old's killing.

Wood's body was discovered in early January 2017, after a jail inmate reached out to police saying he knows where her remains are. The inmate directed officials to an abandoned oil-field trailer off State Highway 666 near Robstown where she was found.

Authorities say she was last seen with Tejeda at a convenience store in October 2016.

Pulcher said Monday a trial date would be set at a future hearing.

https://www.caller.com/story/news/cr...ase/862682002/

Plea deadline extended for capital murder suspect in death of Breanna Wood

By Eleanor Dearman

October used to be Keegan Wood and his sister Breanna's favorite month.

"I used to scare her all the time and did little jokes, but now that it's happened on this month it ruined it for me, and now I don't have that connection with somebody who I can share it with," Wood said sitting on a blue chair outside of a Nueces County courtroom.

His sister Breanna Wood's body was discovered in early January 2017 in an abandoned trailer off State Highway 666 near Robstown. Prosecutors have said they believe the killing occurred in October 2016.

The family has been waiting on closure since then.

Keegan Wood, 28, thought perhaps today, Christopher Gonzalez — one of three capital murder suspects in Breanna Wood's death — would accept a plea deal offered by prosecutors, but that wasn't the case.

Gonzalez appeared before 105th District Judge Jack Pulcher Thursday afternoon for his plea deadline. It was announced in court Gonzalez had been offered a deal. His attorney asked the deadline be extended.

The judge pushed it back to Oct. 16.

"I've just been waiting for the moment, (where) it's just like 'yes. one's down. Let's go to the next one,' Wood said. "Then, we still have to wait."

Sandra Vasquez and Joseph Tejeda, Gonzalez's co-defendants, are also facing capital murder charges. They are both facing the death penalty. The three are among seven people charged with crimes related to Wood's death.

It was Oct. 11, 2016 when the 21-year-old was last seen at a Corpus Christi convenience store with Tejeda.

An inmate who told police he knew where Wood's body was led authorities to an an abandoned oil field trailer on Jan. 3, 2017. They found Wood's body in a box, wrapped in plastic.

Several co-defendants in the case are expected to appear in court in the coming week, court records show.

Keegan Wood said it took him awhile to be able to come to court proceedings. He's just now getting comfortable coming back.

"Now that it's getting closer to the end, I definitely want to be here," Wood said.

https://eu.caller.com/story/news/cri...od/1521114002/

Christopher Gonzalez takes plea deal in Breanna Wood's killing, gets 10 years

By Eleanor Dearman

For the first time, Fallon Wood was able to speak in court directly to one of the people charged in her 21-year-old daughter's death.

The Corpus Christi woman explained to Christopher Gonzalez the impact of her daughter Breanna Wood's death.

"I will never see my daughter get married," she said Monday, reading from a letter. "I will never hold her child or have a grandchild from her. I will never laugh at her goofy self, and I will never see her contagious smile."

Just minutes earlier, Gonzalez had pleaded guilty to engaging in organized criminal activity. He accepted a plea deal with prosecutors and was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Gonalez indicated through his attorney last week he was prepared to accept the agreement.

Gonzalez was initially charged with both capital murder and murder. Those charges were dismissed as a part of the deal.

He will also testify against his two co-defendants Sandra Vasquez and Joseph Tejeda, who are charged with capital murder. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty in their cases.

Trial dates have not been set, court officials said Thursday.

District Attorney Mark Gonzalez (no relation) said Christopher Gonzalez is going to cooperate with the state and that his involvement in the crime was "very small."

He continued Christopher Gonzalez was not present during or after the commission of the crime. Wood's family agreed with the terms of the deal, the prosecutor said.

Wood was missing for months before law enforcement discovered her body. She was last seen with Tejeda at a convenience store in October 2016. In January, an inmate led authorities to an abandoned oil field trailer off State Highway 666 near Robstown.

Her body was found there in a box, wrapped in plastic.

Hector Rene Gonzalez, one of Christopher Gonzalez's attorneys, said his client had information Wood was already dead during time she was thought to be missing.

He said his client has given a full statement to the District Attorney's office and is satisfied with the plea agreement.

During her victim impact statement, Fallon Wood recalled scouring the county for her daughter.

"You knew for 85 days what happened to my daughter," said Wood, her son Keegan standing a few feet behind her. "To this day, I still look for her. As I drive down the street, I see someone who looks like her and I stop."

Prosecutors took turns reading victim impact statements from several of Wood's other family members. Two more suspects — Magdalena Yvette Carvajal and Gregorio Cruz — were expected to take plea deals Tuesday.

Fallon Wood left a message for her daughter as her statement came to a close.

"When I get to heaven, the first thing I'm going to tell her is Mommy never stopped," Wood said. "The second thing I'm going to do is never let her go."

"Love you more, Bre. Always, Mom."

https://www.caller.com/story/news/cr...rs/1646529002/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Trial date set for man facing death penalty in killing of Breanna Wood

A man facing the death penalty in the killing of Breanna Wood is set to stand trial next year.

During a brief court appearance Monday, 105th District Judge Jack Pulcher set trial dates for Joseph Tejeda. Jury selection is scheduled to begin March 20 and the trial on April 29.

Tejeda is charged with capital murder, murder, engaging in organized criminal activity, tampering with physical evidence and abuse of a corpse.

Pulcher said about 1,000 jury summons will be sent to potential jurors. The trial process is expected to last several weeks.

Wood was reported missing after she was last seen in October 2016 at a convenience store in Corpus Christi with Tejeda. In January, an inmate led authorities to an abandoned oil field trailer off State Highway 666 near Robstown, where her body was discovered.

Tejeda, who has pleaded not guilty, is one of seven people accused of crimes related to Wood's death, but some co-defendants have accepted plea deals.

Sandra Vasquez — who is also charged with capital murder and facing the death penalty — has not yet received a trial date. She appeared in court last week for a status hearing, where it was determined her case would likely be handled after Tejeda's.

https://eu.caller.com/story/news/loc...ti/1891529002/

Related:

Prosecutors: Woman accused of evidence tampering violated house arrest conditions

By Eleanor Dearman
    Corpus Christi Caller-Times

A woman accused of tampering with evidence in connection with the death of Breanna Wood will remain in custody until she stands trial.

Rosalinda Musella was released from jail on house arrest in November 2018. On Thursday, 105th District Judge Jack Pulcher determined she violated those pretrial supervision conditions in the days after.

She was re-arrested in November and booked in the Nueces County Jail on Nov. 20.

LuAnn McDonald, who works for Nueces County Adult Probation, testified that on Nov. 16 — the day Musella was released on house arrest — Musella went to a convenience store and Whataburger, even though she wasn't supposed to do so.

Musella — who is the mother of Joseph Tejeda, the individual charged with capital murder in Wood's death — had been ordered to wear an ankle monitor as part of her house arrest.

Her trial on Wednesday was set for later this year, Nov. 4.

McDonald said Musella on Nov. 19 went to some locations that were permitted, like the pretrial office to report, but she also went places that include a restaurant, HEB and a Walmart parking lot, based on the monitor's record.

McDonald indicated Musella was also in vicinity of the workplaces and the home of Wood's mother, Fallon Wood, but the two did not come in contact with one another. Jose Tejeda, Musella's husband, later said that was unintentional.

"When I heard, I was very nervous," Fallon Wood said when she testified Wednesday. "I was like 'How is she like in this area ... and it happens to be my work, my work, my home?' " Wood said.

Wood said she'd feel unsafe if Musella was allowed out of jail again.

Jose Tejeda, testified he picked Musella up from the convenience store on Nov. 16 after she bonded out of jail. The two later went to Whataburger with their grandchildren, he said.

Tejeda said he doesn't know where Wood lives, and that on Nov. 19 he took Musella to her day's appointments as they have only one vehicle. He said they went to the area around where Wood lives to visit a friend whose hair he cuts.

Tejeda said they shouldn't have gone to the restaurants and grocery store.

"Zero tolerance, now we know, means zero tolerance," Tejeda said.

Prosecutor Angelica Hernandez asked the judge to find that Musella's pretrial supervision conditions were violated and consider that when given house arrest, "zero tolerance" was specified.

Musella's attorney Lisa Harris said she doesn't dispute the fact that Tejeda and Musella went to the businesses.

"What has me concerned is the innuendo and allegations that they're basically circling the victim's mom," Harris said.

She asked that Musella's bond be reinstated.

Pulcher found one violation allegation that Musella failed to provide contact information to the Nueces County pretrial supervision officer not true. He found three other counts that Musella violated the terms of her house arrest to be true and revoked her bond.

Breanna Wood was last seen at a Corpus Christi convenience store with Joseph Tejeda in October 2016. In January 2017, law enforcement officers were led to an abandoned oil field trailer off State Highway 666 near Robstown.

They found Wood's body in a box, wrapped in plastic.

Jury selection for Joseph Tejeda's trial is expected to start in August. Sandra Vasquez is also charged with capital murder and facing the death penalty.

https://www.caller.com/story/news/cr...se/3502267002/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Death penalty taken off table against Breanna Wood murder suspect

By Eleanor Dearman
    Corpus Christi Caller-Times

Prosecutors are no longer seeking the death penalty against a man accused in the death of 21-year-old Breanna Wood.

Joseph Tejeda, 28, is charged with capital murder, murder, engaging in organized criminal activity, tampering with evidence and abuse of a corpse.

The Nueces County District Attorney's Office had previously announced its intention to seek the death penalty. During a hearing Tuesday before 105th District Judge Jack Pulcher, prosecutor Angelica Hernandez said the office had changed course.

She said the decision came after consulting within the office and communications with Wood's family. She said the office would still be proceeding with the capital murder charge.

In Texas, capital murder can carry a penalty life imprisonment.

Tejeda, who is accused of fatally shooting Wood, is set to go to trial in September.

Attorneys could not comment following Tuesday's hearing because there's a gag order in the case.

In January 2017, law enforcement officers were led to an abandoned oil field trailer off State Highway 666 near Robstown. An inmate told police he was paid $500 to hide her body, according to an affidavit.

They found Wood's body in a box, wrapped in plastic.

Tejeda was the first person arrested in connection with Wood's death. Prosecutors later charged six others for related crimes. Christopher Gonzalez and Sandra Vasquez were also charged with capital murder, as well as other charges.

Gonzalez in October 2018 pleaded guilty to engaging in organized criminal activity and was sentenced to 10 years. Vasquez's case is still pending.

The District Attorney's office has gone to trial in one death penalty case since Mark Gonzalez was elected to head the agency in 2016.

https://www.caller.com/story/news/cr...ti/1631374001/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information