Thread: Gregory Ramos Charged in 2018 FL Murder of Gail Cleavenger

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar

Gregory Ramos Charged in 2018 FL Murder of Gail Cleavenger

Gregory Ramos (Volusia County Sheriff's Office)

By Gal Tziperman Lotan
    Orlando Sentinel

A 15-year-old accused of killing his mother in DeBary is charged as an adult with first-degree murder, the state attorney for Volusia County announced Thursday.

Gregory Ramos is accused of strangling his mother, 46-year-old Gail Cleavenger, then calling two friends to help him bury her body and stage a robbery at his house. A grand jury indicted him Thursday, State Attorney R.J. Larizza said.

“I’m surprised, I’m shocked, I’m bewildered by the fact that we’re in a position to have to prosecute a 15-year-old for murdering his mother,” Larizza said.

“That’s a sad day, and it’s a sad announcement I’m making, and I take no pleasure in the fact that the state attorney’s office will be prosecuting the 15-year-old for the murder of his mother as an adult.”

Gregory’s two 17-year-old friends, Dylan Ceglarek and Brian Porras, are charged as adults with being accessories to a capital felony after the fact. If convicted, they could face up to 30 years in prison.

If Gregory is convicted of first-degree murder he could face up to life in prison, Larizza said. He would be eligible for parole, unlike most adults in Florida who are convicted of the same crime.

“Ramos showed an extreme indifference to human life, and in his own words he said it took 30 minutes to kill his mother,” Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood said. “So I fully support what the state attorney is doing here. I don’t think there’s any real other outcome to this.”

After hours of questioning, Gregory confessed to deputies that he strangled his mother Nov. 1 after a fight over getting a D in school, Chitwood said after the crime. He told them it took about half an hour, Chitwood said.

He then brought Cleavenger’s body to the family’s car and drove to Holly Hill. Then he asked his two friends, Brian and Dylan, to help him get rid of her body, Chitwood said. They staged a robbery, taking some electronics from Gregory’s home, and buried Cleavenger under a fire pit near a church, Chitwood said.

The next morning Gregory went to school, Chitwood said. He talked to his step-father, who was out of town, like nothing was wrong, Chitwood said.

Then he left school a few hours early, went home, and called 911 to say his home was burglarized and his mother was missing.

“I don’t think we’re talking about a typical 15-year-old kid. He made sure to tell us he was highly intelligent over and over and over again,” Chitwood said.

“I hate to say this, but you’re gonna act like a big boy? Now you’re gonna get treated like a big boy.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...115-story.html
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Simmons needs to be overturned ASAP. This POC needs to be executed.

The highest sentence for a person under 18 years of age is Life. There is no death sentence.

Volusia teen accused of killing, burying mother pleads not guilty

A 15-year-old accused of strangling his mother and burying her body at a Volusia County church entered a not guilty plea Thursday.

Gregory Ramos, who is being charged as an adult in the killing of his mother, Gail Cleavenger, 46, pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder, abuse of a dead human body and tampering with physical evidence.

Cleavenger's body was found buried under a fire pit at River City Church on Highbanks Road last month after Ramos confessed to killing her, sheriff's officials said.

According to investigators, Ramos said that it took 30 minutes to strangle his mother a couple days earlier at the family's home on Alicante Road in DeBary. Sheriff Mike Chitwood said Ramos was motivated by rage after the two got into a dispute about Ramos' school grades.

Deputies said Ramos used a wheelbarrow to load her body into a van and buried her body at the church.

Ramos told detectives he enlisted the help of two friends to bury his mother's body and stage a burglary scene at the Alicante Road house. The friends, Dylan Ceglarek and Brian Porras, both of whom are 17, face charges of acting as accessories to a first-degree murder. They will also be charged as adults.

Deputies said Ramos reported that he returned home from school and discovered that the house had been burglarized, his mother was missing and her van was running in the driveway. He then made a 911 call to report the alleged burglary.

According to officials, Ramos later confessed to killing his mother. Chitwood said the teenager's confession was "cold and calculated" and lacked emotion.

"He is a soulless individual who thought he was going to outsmart everyone in the room," Chitwood said.

Ramos will not face the death penalty, but he could receive life in prison if convicted. Prosecutors said if he pleads to or is convicted fo a lesser charge, it will be up to a judge to decide if he should be sentenced as a juvenile.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/vo...ected-in-court
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Thread Information