Thread: Wazzuuuup

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar

Wazzuuuup

Hey everyone, this is a couple of months late, but I just found out about the introduction section. My name is Anand, I’m an almost 23 year old from California, and I’ve found capital punishment to be an interesting subject for as long as I can remember. I was pretty excited to find a board dedicated to tracking death penalty cases across the states, and I’m delighted to see that there are so many as interested in this subject (often more interested) than I am. Thanks for having me!

Question for the more seasoned members: How can you tell when an inmate has exhausted all their appeals? Seems to me like they have a varying number of attempts at post conviction relief.

To answer your question, when federal appeals are exhausted.

I'll use the process in Texas as an example:

Direct appeal to the TCCA, followed by denial of certiorari by SCOTUS.

State habeas denied by the TCCA, cert denied by SCOTUS.

Federal habeas denied in District Court, then the 5th Circuit, then cert denied by SCOTUS. Appeals exhausted.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Thanks for the reply Aaron. Do they have to place all of their claims in one habeas petition, or can they say, for example:

Petition 1. Low IQ
    Petition 2. Unconstitutional method
    Petition 3. Bad lawyering

Generally speaking, you are allowed one habeas petition. If you were to pursue the Low IQ claim, and THEN bad lawyering, the latter would likely be dismissed as successive.

If a claim could have been raised in the first petition, or a reasonable time frame in the past, a second petition is successive. Successive petitions are only accepted in extraordinary circumstances.

Many stay of execution appeals are deemed to be successive.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Great! That clears everything up.

Thread Information