Thread: Rodney Henry and Daryl Strickland Sentenced to Life in Prison in 2017 AR Slaying of Brandon McHan

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar

Rodney Henry and Daryl Strickland Sentenced to Life in Prison in 2017 AR Slaying of Brandon McHan

Brandon McHan

Daryl Strickland and Rodney Henry

Police arrest 2 in McHan murder

By THE COMMERCIAL STAFF

Pine Bluff police have arrested two Camden men in connection with the shooting death of Brandon McHan during a robbery at his business — Wise Buck Pawn Shop in Pine Bluff — on Nov.12.

At an early Tuesday morning press conference, Officer Richard Wegner said Rodney Henry, 21, and Daryl Strickland, 21, were taken into custody at two different locations at Camden and brought back to Pine Bluff where they were interviewed. They have now been booked into the adult detention center on probable cause of capital murder, aggravated robbery and attempted capital murder.

Henry and Strickland are expected to appear in district court at Pine Bluff Wednesday for a probable cause hearing.

Wegner said during the course of the investigation that two individuals were identified as possible suspects, and officers were able to secure a search warrant for a residence in Pine Bluff, where they located physical evidence that they are not currently ready to identify.

That evidence was sent to the Arkansas State Crime Laboratory at Little Rock, which confirmed it was linked to the two suspects.

At about 11:30 p.m. Monday night, Pine Bluff police detectives and agents with the Federal Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) New Orleans Field Division, which joined the investigation because McHan was a licensed federal firearms dealer, met with deputies from the Quachita County Sheriff’s Department and Camden Police Department, then went to two separate locations that were close to each other and made the arrests.

McHan, who was 34, was pronounced dead at Jefferson Regional Medical Center from gunshot wounds. An employee of the business, Jason Booth, was shot several times and taken to a Little Rock hospital, where he was treated.

In addition to the robbery at the pawn shop, Henry and Strickland were also identified as the suspects who robbed the Alon Convenience Store at 28th Avenue and Olive Street about an hour after the pawn shop hit.

More than $40,000 had been offered in rewards from the ATF, the National Sports Shooting Foundation, the Arkansas Pawn Brokers Association and others for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the persons involved in the death.

Regarding that reward, Wegner said detectives will get together to discuss whether anyone provided sufficient information to justify awarding it. If so, it will be done privately and confidentially.

Jeff McHan, Brandon McHan’s brother, spoke at the Tuesday news conference, saying that “My family has had a really bad past month, but I can’t tell you how much we are so proud of law enforcement for coming through for us. My family will be able to sleep better at night knowing that these animals are where they are supposed to be. I’d like to thank God for helping these detectives. I’d like to thank God for all of your support, and all of the help my family has gotten.

“I can’t tell ya’ll in words about how proud I am of the Pine Bluff Police Department, the ATF, Camden; anybody that was involved in this investigation. I’m very, very proud of them, and they are my top people, I can promise you that.

“My twin brother did not deserve anything like this. He was just trying to help this town out, and out of towners came in and did this. I’m glad it wasn’t Pine Bluff people. That’s not our people. Pine Bluff people, me and Brandon were born and raised here, and they know us too well, and they know we are good and they don’t mess with us like that. I am so glad that it was somebody from out of town.

“I’m so glad that the police department was able to find these guys so quick, because there are so many murders out there that don’t get solved, even with video, surveillance, and everything else. You just never know, and I’ve had my doubts, but they are all erased now, and I know we got the right guys and that makes me and my family so happy. It will allow us to sleep at night, and it will allow us justice for Brandon. We got it, we got it. We got justice for Brandon!”

In addition to the allegations against Strickland and Henry in Jefferson County, they each face separate allegations in Ouachita County. Strickland was charged with rape, a Class Y felony, on Feb. 26. The criminal information filed in the case said that on Nov. 18, 2017, he “engaged in sexual intercourse or deviate sexual activity with another person by forcible compulsion.”

As far as Henry is concerned, he was charged with theft of property more than $5,000 but less than $25,000, a Class C felony, and first-degree criminal mischief, a Class A misdemeanor, based on an incident Sept. 21, 2018.

Pine Bluff Police Chief Kelvin Sergeant said during Tuesday’s news conference that “When you have an investigation like this, and as long as this investigation went – I will tell you from a chief of police perspective, I saw how these officers worked all day long, all night long. Matter of fact, what led to the arrests this morning started around 2 p.m. yesterday. If you look at two of these detectives behind me, they are two of the lead detectives, and they have not been home yet. They constantly have worked on this investigation day in and night out, literally.”

Sergeant also offered words of thanks to other agencies that helped apprehend the suspects.

“I want to call a few names,” Sergeant said. “First, I want to start with the Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. They had several special agents that came down and assisted us in this investigation, and information was literally moved around all the way from New Orleans to Virginia, and Washington D.C. They used different facets of technology to help us in this case. Special Agents John Norris, Jim O’Connor, Kenny Maddox, Warren Newman, Tyler Cowart, and Shannon McKitrick-Cruz.

“I’m calling their names because since the day this incident happened until (today) they have been here constantly assisting us with this investigation. So, I want to thank the Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms Little Rock field office for everything they have done to assist the Pine Bluff Police Department in this investigation.

“The lead detectives for Pine Bluff were Tamina Smith and Kaylon McDaniel, and the sergeant who assisted them was Sergeant Derrick Neal. So, I thank them, the swing shift detectives. The Pine Bluff Vice and Narcotics and Violent Crimes unit at points assisted in solving this case.”

Commercial special correspondent Luke Matheson contributed to this report

http://www.pbcommercial.com/news/201...mchan-murder/1
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Jury trial date set for two suspects in murder in Pine Bluff

By Bradly Gill
    Camden News

The jury trial for two Camden men accused of the murder of Pine Bluff pawn shop owner is set for September of this year, according to Jefferson County Court documents.

The documents show that Daryl Strickland and Rodney Henry were charged with capital murder, attempted capital murder, two counts of aggravated robbery and theft of property.

In capital murder cases, the state can pursue the death penalty or life in prison without parole.

An affidavit states that on Nov. 12, 2018, officers responded to a shooting at the Wise Buck Guns & Pawn Shop, located at 2408 S. Camden Road in Pine Bluff. Upon the initial officer’s arrival, he reportedly told dispatch that the subjects were still shooting. As the officer on scene parked the patrol vehicle on the south side of the business, it was reported that two subjects were seen running through the field located on the south side of the business. Dispatch later advised officers on scene that two subjects were shot inside of the business.

Upon entering the business, two white male victims were located and later identified as Brandon McHan and Jason Booth. Both subjects were transported from the scene to Jefferson Regional Medical Center to be treated for their injuries. An emergency surgery was conducted with McHan where he later died from his injuries.

McHan was unable to give a statement in reference to the incident due to being sedated upon arriving at the hospital. Booth’s injuries were not life-threatening and he was later transported to the University of Arkansas Medical Sciences Hospital in Little Rock for further treatment. Booth was unable to give a clear statement in reference to the incident due to the injuries sustained to his mouth.

Officers also responded to the Alon Gas Station, located at 2800 S. Olive St. in reference to a robbery. Upon the officers’ arrival, the clerk stated that two black males entered the store with guns. The clerk stated one male approached the front counter and another one went around behind the counter. One of the subjects put a gun to clerk’s head and took an unknown amount of money and cigarettes. Both suspects later fled the scene. During the investigation, both video surveillance footages were compared and analyzed. It was later discovered that the subjects involved at-the Wise Buck Guns & Pawn Shop matched the description of subjects involved in the incident at the Alon Gas Station. The subjects were later identified through an anonymous lead as Daryl Strickland and Rodney Henry.

After receiving written consent to search the residence in which both Henry and Strickland were residing, an expended shell casing was reportedly found at the residence. Strickland and Henry were later questioned and released pending further investigation. The shell casing was sent to the Arkansas State Crime Lab for examination.

On Dec. 3, 2018, a preliminary report was received with the results of a positive match on the shell casing found at the Wise Buck Guns & Pawn Shop.

On Dec. 4, 2018, Henry and Strickland were located at two separate residences in Camden and were taken into custody, where they were later transported to the Pine Bluff Police Detective Division for questioning.

Detectives conducted a recorded statement with Henry at the Pine Bluff Police Department. During questioning, Henry denied having involvement in the incidents at the Wise Buck Guns & Pawn Shop and the Alon Gas Station.

During questioning, Strickland reportedly admitted to having involvement in the incident at both locations. He also reportedly admitted to shooting inside of the business at the Wise Buck Pawn Shop in which the victims were both wounded during the incident, and to later committing the robbery at the Alon Gas Station. Strickland stated that their intentions were only to rob each location to obtain cash. Documents also show that at the Alon Gas Station, a black handgun described as a High Point JS9 9mm caliber pistol and cash were taken by Strickland and Henry during the robbery.

In separate cases, Strickland is accused of a November 2017 rape in Camden, and Henry is charged with theft of property greater than $5,000, but less than $25,000.

A pick-up order to the Jefferson County Detention center was issued for Strickland to be brought to Camden for a court appearance Monday March 11. Henry was also the subject of a pick-up order for a court date on the March 14.

https://www.camdenarknews.com/news/2...er-pine-bluff/

Camden men in murder case ask for continuance

By Dale Ellis
    Camden News

CAMDEN — PINE BLUFF -- Prosecutors are considering federal charges against two Camden men in the shooting death of Pine Bluff pawnshop owner Brandon McHan.

In a status hearing Thursday before Circuit Judge Alex Guynn at the Jefferson County Courthouse, attorneys for Rodney Henry and Daryl Strickland, both 21, asked for a 60-day continuance to allow time for federal prosecutors for the Eastern District of Arkansas to make a decision as to whether to intervene in the case and to give defense attorneys additional time to prepare their cases.

George Morledge IV and Jeff Rosenzweig, the attorneys representing Henry, said the case will most likely wind up being prosecuted by federal authorities.

“I’m pretty sure they’ll take it over,” Rosenzweig said. “It’s just a matter of going through the process.”

“Mr. Moreledge and I have been in contact with the U.S. attorney’s office in Little Rock and as of yesterday they expect to make a decision on whether or not to go federal with this in early October, about a month from now,” Rosenzweig said.

“Also, we were given a document today that the state will be seeking the death penalty in this case, so right now, we are in limbo until the U.S. attorney makes a decision.”

U.S. Prosecuting Attorney Cody Hiland declined to comment on the case and referred all questions to local authorities.

Prosecuting Attorney Kyle Hunter said the case raised the interest of federal authorities from the beginning, and that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives assisted in the investigation because of McHan’s background as a federal firearms license holder and firearms dealer.

“Whether they’ll ever have the authority to go forward or whether they will, that’s an issue that is still to be determined,” Hunter said. “From a going-forward point of view, this is [the state’s] case, we’re going forward with it, and if the feds at any time have the authority to seek an indictment, then we’ll discuss with the feds at that time what is the most appropriate way to move forward.”

Hunter said regardless of which office winds up prosecuting the crime, the goal is the same.

“They’re not trying to step on the authority that we have here to prosecute this case,” he said. “Everybody wants to make sure we’re able to prosecute this case in the forum in which we’ll be most successful.”

According to a probable-cause affidavit, police were called to the Wise Buck Pawn Shop in Pine Bluff about 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 12 after shots were reported fired in the building. When police arrived, the affidavit said, gunfire could still be heard inside, and shortly after, two men were seen running through a field south of the pawnshop.

McHan, 34, the owner of the shop on South Camden Road, was shot while exchanging gunfire with at least one of two assailants who entered the store about 5:30 p.m., police said in a statement.

According to police, investigators believed that McHan and Jason Booth, a friend of McHan’s, were inside when the two men entered and tried to hold up the store. Instead, McHan and the robbers began firing.

After a few moments, the two robbers walked back out of the pawnshop but quickly returned, police said. Booth, who police said had gone over to McHan and was trying to render first aid, grabbed McHan’s gun and fired back, but was shot in the chin, abdomen and hand, according to police.

The affidavit said both men were transported to Jefferson Regional Medical Center where McHan died during surgery.

Henry and Strickland were questioned by police on Nov. 28 about the killing and an attempted robbery of a nearby gas station, and were subsequently released, the affidavit said. After further investigation, the two were arrested Dec. 4 in Camden. Both men are charged with capital murder, aggravated robbery, and theft of property.

Guynn ordered another status hearing to be held Dec. 5 for Strickland and Henry.

https://www.camdenarknews.com/news/2...k-continuance/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Two men indicted for robbery, fatal shooting of Arkansas pawnshop owner

By KATV News

LITTLE ROCK (KATV) — Two men have been charged in connection with the robbery of a gas station and the killing of a pawnshop owner that happened in November of 2018.

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, 22-year-old Daryl Strickland, Jr. and 22-year-old Rodney Tyrone Henry, both of Camden, have been charged by a federal grand jury.

The charges stem from the robbery of the Alon Gas Station and the attempted robbery of the Wise Buck Pawn Shop, both in Pine Bluff.

The indictment alleges that Strickland and Henry caused the death of Brandon McHan, who owned the pawnshop. It also states that Strickland and Henry conspired on November 12, 2018, to rob the Wise Buck Pawn Shop, a federally licensed firearms dealer.

The indictment charges them with the attempted robbery of the pawnshop and with causing the death of McHan while carrying a firearm during the attempted robbery. The indictment also charges them with conspiring to rob the Alon Gas Station, robbing the gas station, and using a firearm during the robbery.

Both men are being held in the Jefferson County jail.

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, the penalty for murder with the use of a firearm can include up to life in prison or death. The penalty for conspiring or attempting to commit robbery is no more than 20 years in prison, followed by supervised released.

Each crime carries a fine of up to $250,000.

https://katv.com/news/local/camden-m...ery-and-murder
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Camden men given life sentences for 2018 killing of Pine Bluff pawn shop owner

By Dale Ellis
    Camden News

In an emotional hearing lasting over four hours, two Camden men were sentenced to life in prison by a federal judge in Little Rock for the Nov. 12, 2018, murder of a Pine Bluff pawnshop owner during an aborted robbery attempt.

Daryl Strickland Jr. and Rodney Tyrone Henry, both 25, pleaded guilty last year in federal court to discharging a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence that resulted in murder in a robbery attempt at the Wise Buck Pawn Shop in Pine Bluff. It resulted in the death of owner Brandon McHan, 34, and left McHan's friend and employee, Jason Booth, seriously wounded with gunshot wounds to his face, torso and hand.

Both men admitted robbing a nearby convenience store of $800 about an hour after the shootings. The two men were arrested Dec. 4, 2018, in Camden by police following up on a tip. They were initially charged in Jefferson County Circuit Court with capital murder and aggravated robbery. Those charges were dismissed after Strickland and Henry were federally indicted in October 2019.

Both men admitted that at 5:22 p.m. on the day of crime, Strickland and Henry knocked on the front door of Wise Buck Pawn Shop and asked if the store was still open. After being told no, the two then appeared to leave the area as McHan and Booth continued closing the store, court records said.

Soon after, when McHan and Booth had exited out the front door to start their cars and then returned to the store, Strickland and Henry entered the threshold of the pawn shop. Strickland then fired several gunshots, striking both McHan and Booth, who returned fire, at which point Strickland and Henry retreated. But, two minutes later, both returned to the front door and Strickland again began shooting into the pawn shop. When McHan and Booth tried to fire back, Strickland retreated and Henry fired several times into the pawn shop. Then Strickland returned to the doorway a third time and fired more shots inside before he and Henry fled the scene.

Asking U.S. District Judge James M. Moody Jr. for life sentences for both men, Assistant U.S. Attorney Kristin Bryant argued that the facts of the crime indicated the two men intentionally killed McHan and tried to kill Booth.

Video shown in court taken from outside the pawn shop that evening showed Strickland and Henry approach the door of the pawn shop, stand there for a moment and then leave, only to return a few minutes later as Strickland fired through the front door of the business, then retreat, followed by Henry as return fire came from inside the pawn shop. In the interim, the video showed McHan and Booth exit the store as the two men went to their cars.

Shortly after the retreat, the video showed Strickland approach the doorway once more and fire several shots inside, followed by Henry who also fired several times into the store. The two men could then be seen running out of the frame as a Pine Bluff police car, emergency lights activated, passed through the video frame. Video from inside the store following the first round of gunfire showed McHan lying near the counter and Booth running from the front door to shield McHan with his body as McHan raised up and fired a shotgun at Strickland, who was standing once again in the front door.

McHan's father, Ronnie McHan, who attended the hearing with a large group of family members, exclaimed at that point, "that's my boy," followed by "shoot them murderers," before he got up and walked out of the courtroom as a deputy U.S. marshal cautioned him to be silent.

Later, as he gave a victim impact statement, he apologized to Moody for the outburst.

"I've had very few nights where I've slept the whole night," he said. "The wheels of justice grind slow but they got here. They got us to where we need to be."

Talking about his son, Ronnie McHan said, "He was a good son and he didn't deserve ... what happened." Turning his attention to Strickland and Henry, he said, "to you murderers, I hope your misery gets worse and worse."

Miranda McHan, Brandon McHan's wife, talked about the life she had with her husband during their 6½-year marriage.

"I expected to live my whole life with Brandon, we loved each other so," she said, sadly. "We were truly soulmates. ... The impact of his death on my life is so profound ... I recall him leaving the house early that morning, looking at me and smiling and saying goodbye. Little did I know that would really be our last goodbye."

Jeff McHan, Brandon McHan's identical twin brother, described the special bond he shared with his brother as the two grew up together in the home they shared with their mother and two sisters. He described a hardscrabble upbringing in a family that didn't have much money, raised by a single mother who he said taught them to work hard and respect others.

"Some people referred to us as white trash, you know, that's our upbringing," he said. "We both knew about powdered milk, government cheese, etc., is what I'm getting at. ... We didn't have money is what I'm getting at but we were raised with a lot of love, in church, we had a lot to develop our characters."

He said his brother started a pawn shop because that was what he had done since he was 18 and when the shop he was working for closed, he decided to go into business for himself.

Bryant said she understood the gravity of asking for life sentences for Strickland and Henry.

"We appreciate the fact that we're asking you to send two 20-year-olds to prison for the rest of their lives," Bryant said. "That's not lost on us. But their conduct deserves it.

"This killing wasn't a mistake or a youthful indiscretion," she continued. "It was a calculated choice by two adults who decided what they wanted was more important than the lives of Mr. McHan and Mr. Booth. ... They murdered a man at 5:30 in the afternoon on a busy street in Pine Bluff, Arkansas."

Moody denied appeals by both men's attorneys -- Charles Winnfield Wyatt and Lee Deken Short for Strickland, and Robert Golden and Leslie Borgognoni for Henry -- for sentences that would hold out the opportunity to one day leave prison.

"You had multiple opportunities to walk away and make a different choice," he said to Strickland. "Instead, in these moments you showed clear disregard for human life by actively choosing to enter the pawn shop, shooting immediately and giving the victims no chance to comply, then you went back to shoot some more with no other conceivable purpose than to kill."

https://www.camdenarknews.com/news/2...-2018-killing/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information