Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Larry Woodruffe and Eric Black Jr. Sentenced in 2018 TX Slaying of 7-Year-Old Jazmine Barnes

Seriously bs article..sigh
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMartel View Post

As long as Black people live in a society that devalues and kills us, we can’t separate any of our deaths from racism.
    I question the reality that people like this live in.

So, black people murdering black people is due to white racism? Wouldn't it be healthier to focus on what blacks can do to decrease the number of murders themselves (including encouraging two-parent households) rather than engaging in a bizarre fantasy that fosters race hatred and which naysays the taking of any sort of responsibility for one's own actions?

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Denouncing “Black-on-Black crime” became the rallying cry of those who wanted to place the blame solely on the shoulders of Black people
    Typical nonsense from elite liberal slave drivers. So they are disappointed this wasn't the "hate crime" that fits their narrative, but they wanna act like they still care, but also wanna keep crying the victim and keep people mad at white people and "the system".

Quote Originally Posted by Moh View Post
    So, black people murdering black people is due to white racism? Wouldn't it be healthier to focus on what blacks can do to decrease the number of murders themselves (including encouraging two-parent households) rather than engaging in a bizarre fantasy that fosters race hatred and which naysays the taking of any sort of responsibility for one's own actions?
    BLM aka Thug Lives Matter
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Defense lawyer says accused shooter in 7-year-old’s death can’t get fair trial

By Brian Rogers
    The Houston Chronicle

The defense attorney for Larry Woodruffe, the alleged gunman charged in the drive-by shooting that killed 7-year-old Jazmine Barnes, said Thursday her client couldn’t get a fair trial because of intensive publicity surrounding the shocking homicide.

Veteran defense attorney Lisa Andrews asked for a change of venue and blasted Houston Police Officer’s Union president Joe Gamaldi for “inflammatory” tweets that have appeared in local and national media. Gamaldi questioned the punishment Woodruffe, a documented gang member, received for offenses before the Dec. 30 shooting.

Andrews also said Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzales has shown bias because he spoke at the funeral for the second-grader. The dhild was shot in the head as she and her sister rode to a shopping center with her mother, who was wounded in a hail of bullets fired in the pre-dawn darkness.

“My concern is that some of our local leaders are taking steps, posting things on social media, that I believe are unprofessional and inappropriate given their position of investigating the case and prosecuting the case,” Andrews said after the arraignment. “I believe these actions are prejudicing any eventual jury.”

In court for Woodruffe’s arraignment, she told State District Judge Nikita Harmon that Texas Gov. Greg Abbott had retweeted Gamaldi’s assertions her client is a “dirtbag.” Judge Harmon ordered that Woodruffe be held without bail, the same ruling for co-defendant Eric Black Jr.

Later, Gamaldi doubled down on his disdain for Woodruffe, the 24-year-old who was charged this week with capital murder. “If I was Larry Woodruffe’s attorney, I’d probably do everything in my power to distract from the fact that my client is a complete dirtbag,” he said of Andrews.

Gamaldi noted that Woodruffe has a lengthy criminal history that includes a felony family violence conviction for choking his girlfriend. And while he was on parole, he got caught with a loaded firearm with a 30-round magazine that landed him in jail for the nine months prior to Barnes’s death.

Gamaldi revisted his criticism of Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg, who has championed increased diversion programs for low-level offenders.

“I hope the trial gets moved to Montgomery County and maybe this guy will finally get the book thrown at him,” he said. “If his last case had gone to Montgomery County, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion because he would have gone to prison and wouldn’t be out on the streets shooting people.”

After the hearing, Woodruffe’s defense attorney said her 24-year-old client has vehemently maintained his innocence.

“He denied any involvement to police officers when they picked him up,” Andrews said. “I am concerned that people believe he’s guilty and there’s been no evidence.”

Black, 20, Woodruffe’s co-defendant, apparently confessed to police and said he was the driver and Woodruffe was the shooter who sprayed shots into the car driven by LaPorsha Washington, who was wounded. To bolster his story, Black gave consent to search his home where police found a gun they believe to be the murder weapon.

Andrews contends that Black is incriminating Woodruffe in an effort to help himself and should not be considered credible.

“The only person that says that (Woodruffe was the shooter) is the person who got charged first. My experience is that some people have a big motive to get themselves out of hot water,” she said. “It is also my experience, after 20 years of doing criminal law on both sides, that shooters don’t give up their gun. That gun he led the cops to was at his house, not my client’s.”

In court, prosecutor Samantha Knecht told the judge that in addition to Black’s statements, cellphone data shows that Woodruffe’s phone was in the area of the shooting at the time of the slaying.

After the arraignment, Tom Berg, the first assistant for the district attorney’s office, said it was too early in the case to hear any motion to move the trial because of pretrial publicity. He also said most of the comments and outrage are coming from people who are not connected to the case.

“I think there’s a temptation amongst elected officials to get in front of media, and certainly some did it in this case, be it the governor or the head of the HPD police union,” Berg said. “Those are people who have nothing to do with this case. So they’re not particularly relevant, they just want to get out there.”

The shooting of Jazmine Barnes and her mother was investigated by the Harris County Sheriff’s Office, while Gamaldi heads the union representing Houston police officers.

It is rare for judges in Houston to grant a change of venue because there are millions of people in Harris County, and trials usually happen months or years after initial media firestorms.

“Some people will remember nothing about it. And some people won’t know anything about the case,” Berg said. “We expect to draw a fair panel, and get a fair jury for a fair trial.”

Under Texas law, both men face the possibility of life in prison without parole if convicted. They could also face the death penalty, a decision made by the elected district attorney, usually months after an arrest.

Andrews was appointed Wednesday and immediately began filing motions to keep law enforcement from questioning Woodruffe. She also filed a motion to prohibit anyone she has not approved from visiting Woodruffe in jail.

She has also filed a motion asking that the Harris County District Attorney’s Office maintain the standards of ethical responsibility regarding pre-trial publicity. The judge instructed prosecutors to do so.

Andrews is not stranger to publicity. In 2012, she made headlines when she presented evidence in court of incompetence and shoddy handling of drug tests at the county’s probation department, a revelation that led to the ouster of the head of that agency.

After Woodruffe’s arraignment, Andrews said she would put her request for a change of venue on the back burner and see how the case progresses.

Woodruffe, a former janitor and father of three, was identified along with Black by an anonymous tipster. Both were arrested during a traffic stops Saturday for possession of drugs.

Black also has a criminal history. He was arrested for possessing a firearm with an obliterated number during a traffic stop along Interstate 10 in March 2017, according to Louisiana authorities. He was 18 at the time.

Staff writer Nicole Hensley contributed to this report.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...s-13521850.php
    Last edited by CharlesMartel; 01-11-2019 at 12:48 AM.
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    BLM aka Thug Lives Matter
    Media hide this, they denied everything about black racism against whites.
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    July 6, 2019

Man charged in Jazmine Barnes' killing out on bond

By Mike Morris
    The Houston Chronicle

One of the two men facing capital murder charges in the shooting death of a 7-year-old Houston girl last December is out on bond, court records show.

Eric Black Jr., 20, signed paperwork agreeing to the conditions of his release on June 25. His attorneys had successfully argued his bond, set at $500,000 in April, should be lowered to $150,000.

Second-grader Jazmine Barnes was riding in a car with her mother and three sisters outside a Wallisville Road Walmart on Dec. 30 when a gunman pulled up next to them and opened fire. One of the eight bullets fatally struck her in the head; her mother was struck in the arm, and two of her sisters were injured by flying glass.

Black, the alleged driver of the car, is charged along with Larry Woodruffe, 24, the alleged trigger man. The men apparently thought they were aiming at a group with whom they had an altercation hours earlier.

Woodruffe remained in jail Saturday. Black’s next court date is listed as Aug. 16.

The case drew national attention in part because the family believed their assailant had been a white man, spurring speculation that the attack was a hate crime.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...s-14076557.php
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    Judge lowers bond of two men charged with capital murder in shooting of 7-year-old Jazmine Barnes

By Marla Carter
    ABC13

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Jazmine Barnes' father says he's hurt after seeing the bond dropped for the men accused of killing his daughter.

"It really hurt more than anything," said Christopher Cevilla, the little girl's father. "It's all on the justice system, how they see things."

Larry Woodruffe and Eric Black Jr. are charged with capital murder.

Investigators say they shot at the car carrying the seven-year-old girl in a case of mistaken identity. Barnes was killed on December 30, 2018.

The suspects' bonds were recently lowered.

Woodruffe's bond was lowered from $1 million down to $250,000 and remains in jail. Black was able to make bond and is now out after his bond was lowered to $150,000.

"Why would you lower the bond on a capital murder charge of a child that's seven-years-old?" asked Cevilla.

Judge Nikita Harmon is the judge in the case. Judges are the ones who set bonds.

ABC13 Eyewitness News reached out to Harmon, but her staff said she is out this week.

Jazmine's father says a prosecutor in the district attorney's office called him concerning the bond on Sunday night.

"(The prosecutor) was pushing to get it raised up higher, but it was all on the judge," said Cevilla.

However, Jazmine's stepmother, Heather Cevilla, feels more could be done.

"You can't just put it on the judge," she said. "To me, there was not enough effort put into it."

The conditions of Black's bond include no contact with Jazmine's family or the co-defendant. He also must submit to drug and alcohol testing.

Black must remain in Harris County and counties that surround it such as Montgomery, Fort Bend and Brazoria counties. He's also required to comply with GPS monitoring.

Despite the conditions, Jazmine's stepmother says the conditions don't go far enough.

"Those (GPS devices) can be cut off," she said. "You still can make a run for it."

ABC13 Eyewitness News also reached out to the attorneys of both Black and Woodruffe, but did not receive a response.

https://abc13.com/judge-lowers-bond-...llers/5384595/
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

August 1, 2019

White Man Wrongly Branded as Killer of 7-Year-Old Jazmine Barnes Dead of Apparent Suicide

By Angela Helm
    The Root

Many hearts shattered with the news of the tragic shooting death of 7-year-old Jazmine Barnes, the little girl who was gunned down in a Houston-area Walmart parking lot in December 2018.

Initially thought to be a racially motivated crime, an innocent white man whose photo went viral soon after the incident has died of an apparent suicide.

ABC 13 Houston reports that Robert Paul Cantrell, 49, was found by staff at the Montgomery County Jail in the early morning hours of July 23, hanged in his cell. Cantrell had been charged with robbery evading. The news site reports that jail employees tried to revive him to no avail.

Cantrell’s name and face went viral shortly after little Jazmine’s death, driven in large part by a Twitter post with Cantrell’s mug shot next to the police’s composite sketch. It was tweeted out by activist Shaun King to his more than 1 million followers.

According to the ABC-13, the now-deleted tweet offering a $25,000 reward read: “We’ve had 20 people call or email us and say he is a racist, violent (expletive) and always has been. Just tell me everything you know.”

Cantrell’s niece said shortly after the post was released that her uncle was threatened with “rape, torture and murder [of] the women and children in your family.”

And yet, as everyone learns in Journalism 101, we have to be very careful in branding people of heinous crimes because if they turn out to be innocent, the consequences can be grievous (and as a case study, look no further than Richard Jewell, who was falsely accused of being the Atlanta Olympics bomber.)

In this case, as reported by The Root, two other men, Eric Black, 20, and Larry Woodruffe, 24, were charged with capital murder for the Dec. 30, 2018 shooting death of Jazmine. They are both African American.

Cantrell’s cause of death is currently under investigation, according to reports.

https://www.theroot.com/white-man-wr...zmi-1836883693

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information