Thread: Joshua Steven Nance Sentenced to 20 Years in the 2016 AL Slaying of Paxton Wayne Kennedy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Joshua Steven Nance Sentenced to 20 Years in the 2016 AL Slaying of Paxton Wayne Kennedy

Paxton Wayne Kennedy

Capital murder trial set for man charged in 2016 killing

By Michele W. Forehand
    Dothan Eagle

Joshua Steven Nance, one of four people charged in the 2016 fatal shooting of 23-year-old Paxton Wayne Kennedy, is scheduled to have his case heard by a jury beginning Feb. 4.

The trial is set for Houston County Circuit Judge Butch Binford’s courtroom.

If convicted, Nance could face the death penalty or a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. He is charged with capital murder-shooting into an occupied vehicle.

Houston County Sheriff deputies charged Nance and his girlfriend, Dama Clark, with capital murder for shooting into an occupied vehicle. Officials believe the shooting was drug-related. Investigators previously testified during a hearing that Nance was the shooter in the killing, and the other three people charged with the crime were accomplices. According to previous testimony, Kennedy owed one of the defendants money for drugs.

Clark’s trial is scheduled for March 4, in Houston County Judge Larry Anderson’s courtroom. Clark also faces capital murder-shooting into an occupied vehicle charge.

Court records show, Clark has an extensive history of drug arrests.

Warrants filed at the Houston County Courthouse charged both Nance and Clark with intentionally causing Kennedy’s death by shooting him in the head with a .380-caliber pistol while he sat inside a 1994 Nissan pickup truck Jan. 4, 2016. After the shooting, Nance and Clark left the area and traveled home to the Panama City, Florida, area, where they were arrested and extradited back to Alabama.

Also charged are Eric Lance West, of Slocomb, and Pamela Henderson Whitaker, of Cottondale, Florida. Both were charged with capital murder under the conspiring law for helping Nance and Clark to commit the crime.

While in jail awaiting trial, Nance received an additional charge after he was accused of making a knife. He was charged with promoting prison contraband. According to a warrant, Nance made a knife out of a piece of metal, spoons, and cellophane. Sheriff Donald Valenza said Nance has been placed in isolation as a result of his actions in jail.

https://www.dothaneagle.com/news/cri...f69233f1d.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Three years after her son’s murder, a mother prepares for the alleged shooter’s jury trial

Three years after her son’s murder, Susan Kennedy is trying to mentally prepare herself for the first of four jury trials scheduled for those charged with Paxton Wayne Kennedy’s murder.

Joshua Steven Nance, one of the four people charged in the 2016 fatal shooting of Kennedy, will have his case heard by a jury next week.

Police allege Nance was the shooter.

Houston County Sheriff deputies charged Nance and his girlfriend, Dama Clark, with capital murder for shooting into an occupied vehicle. Deputies also arrested Eric Lance West of Slocomb and Pamela Whitaker of Cottondale, Florida. Both are charged with capital murder under the conspiring law for helping Nance and Clark to commit the crime. No trial date has been set for the other three charged with Kennedy’s murder.

Warrants filed at the Houston County Courthouse charged both Nance and Clark with intentionally causing Kennedy’s death by shooting him in the head with a .380 caliber pistol while he sat inside a 1994 pickup truck Jan. 4, 2016.

Investigators and Kennedy both believe her son’s death was drug-related.

“I’m not denying my son had a drug problem,” Kennedy said. “I’m not trying to deny his lifestyle at all. He did have a problem with drugs. No, I didn’t approve of it, but I loved my son unconditionally. My son was killed over $2,500. From my understanding, Paxton owed Pamela Whitaker money.”

Although Kennedy admits her son had a drug problem, she also knows her son was a caring person who loved his family.

“Paxton would have given his shirt off his back to help anyone,” Kennedy said. “He loved life, and he loved his family. We just feel cheated. I lost the most precious gift a mother could lose -- her child. His brother lost not only his big brother, but a friend. Our lives will never be normal again. Paxton lost his life for doing something he shouldn’t have been doing – drugs. Any of these four people could have stopped this from happening at any time before that trigger was pulled, but they didn’t. That’s what I really don’t understand. These four individuals are in their 40s and Paxton was 23 years old when he was killed. Every one of them involved has children of their own. Some of their children may even be Paxton’s age. How could they do this to someone’s child?”

Although Kennedy deals with the pain of losing her son daily, she is extremely grateful for the love and support she has received from her younger son, Braxton.

“Braxton has been my rock through all of this,” Kennedy said. “Unfortunately, he had to grow up sooner than he should have. I have leaned on him so much these three years. Paxton’s death not only affected me, but our entire family. Braxton recently got married, and his brother was not here to share that special day with him. He is currently going to college to become a registered nurse and his brother will miss his and his wife’s pinning ceremony scheduled in May. I am not the only one Paxton’s death affected. We have all lost someone who means a great deal to us because of $2,500.”

With the Nance’s trial set to begin next week, Kennedy has mixed emotions about what punishment she hopes Nance receives should he be convicted.

“Steven has a mother and being a mother, I could decide his fate,” Kennedy said. “But, really if you think about it, is the death penalty too easy, or is life in prison too much? I don’t know. What I do know is no matter what punishment any of these four people get, the end result is my son is gone and he can’t come back.”

Kennedy hopes her son’s death helps others with drug addictions seek help.

“Believe me, your life means something to someone,” Kennedy said. “Don’t let drugs ruin your life, or take you away from your family. If you have a drug addiction, get help. Someone will listen and get you the help you need. Remember, every day you wake up is a new day.”

https://www.dothaneagle.com/news/cri...afbc8cf1c.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Defense attorney argues accidental shooting in Joshua Nance’s capital murder case

By Michele W. Forehand
    Dothan Eagle

Joshua Steven Nance, one of four people charged in the 2016 fatal shooting of 23-year-old Paxton Wayne Kennedy, fired the fatal shot accidentally after the victim’s vehicle began moving, the defense asserted in opening arguments Tuesday.

Houston-Henry County District Attorney Pat Jones laid out an entirely different scenario, alleging that Nance shot Kennedy after receiving a text from Eric West wanting to know if Nance knew someone who would beat up Kennedy. Kennedy allegedly owned West’s girlfriend Pamela Whitaker between $2,000 and $2,500 for drugs.

Pamela Henderson Whitaker, 45, of Cottondale, Florida, Eric Lance West, 35, of Slocomb, and Dama Nell Clark, 41, of Dothan, are also charged with capital murder in the case.

According to Jones, Nance was in a relationship with Dama Clark, but Kennedy had also previously been involved with Clark.

“Evidence will show, Clark contacted Kennedy to set up the meeting,” Jones said. “During her conversation with Kennedy, she made it sound like she wanted to meet with Kennedy to purchase drugs and Kennedy also believed he would have sex with Clark during their meeting.”

Multiple texts continued throughout the day before Kennedy was killed, Jones said, with last text sent from Kennedy to Clark stated he needed to change meeting locations. Jones believes Kennedy was little nervous in meeting Clark because he owed Whitaker money. Kennedy felt he would be safer meeting at his old camper trailer.

“Paxton is nervous, so he is carrying a .22 pistol in his pocket along with methamphetamine that Clark is going to purchase,” Jones said. “He believes after he has sex with Clark and she purchases the drugs, he is going to be on his way.”

Jones stated the designated meeting location was roughly 100 yards from Kennedy’s uncle’s home.

“Before meeting Clark, Paxton stopped by his uncle’s,” Jones said. “After receiving confirmation from Clark she was almost there, Paxton headed to the location. A short time later, his uncle heard the gunshot and took off towards the camper trailer.”

Jones stated Kennedy’s uncle saw a truck bouncing across the field with the interior lights flashing and eventually he was able to identify it was Kennedy.

“His uncle was able to run up to the truck and knock it out of gear to get the truck to stop,” Jones said. “Once the truck stopped, he noticed Kennedy was bleeding and was unresponsive. His uncle attempted to follow the car down the dirt road, but lost sight of the vehicle.”

Jones went on to say, Clark and Nance met up with West in Graceville, Florida after the shooting for gas money. The couple did not have enough gas to get back to Panama City, Florida. “You will see the three individuals are seen at a gas station through video surveillance,” Jones said. Clark and Nance return to Panama City Beach, Florida, where they return the gun that Nance was going to purchase earlier that day, but did not have the money. The owner of the gun, Travis Miller, sent Nance a text demanding $450 or the gun back. Nance sent a message back to Miller stating where the gun could be found, Jones said.

In his opening statement, defense attorney Derek Yarbrough said he was not going to dispute that Nance shot Kennedy.

“We believe the evidence will show Nance did respond to the text about beating up Kennedy, but shooting Kennedy was accidental,” Yarbrough said. “Evidence will show a lot of people were not happy with Kennedy. I expect testimonies to state Kennedy was known for carrying a gun.”

Yarbrough believes Nance never had any intent to kill Kennedy.

“Josh does pull out a gun and Paxton pops the clutch leaving marks on the grass,” Yarbrough said. “As the vehicle rolled, the back of the door frame hit Joshua’s arms causing the gun to discharge.”

Yarbrough stated the evidence will show the truck did not have any broken windows or damage from the gunshot.

“We are not asking for a not guilty verdict, because accidental shootings come with charges,” Yarbrough said. “But, we are asking for a not guilty verdict of capital murder. This is not a capital murder case.”

Nance’s trial is expected to run all week.

https://www.dothaneagle.com/news/cri...8f394e806.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Jury finds Joshua Nance guilty of manslaughter

By Michele W. Forehand
    Dothan Eagle

A Houston County jury convicted Joshua Steven Nance of the lesser included offense of manslaughter in the death of Paxton Wayne Kennedy. Nance had been charged with capital murder.

The jury deliberated roughly two hours and determined the prosecution did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Nance deliberately intended to kill Kennedy, 23, who was shot and killed in 2016 on Hartzog Road near Wicksburg.

Nance is one of four people charged in the shooting.

Pamela Henderson Whitaker, 45, of Cottondale, Florida, Eric Lance West, 35, of Slocomb, and Dama Nell Clark, 41, of Dothan, are also charged with capital murder in the case.

Houston-Henry County District Attorney Pat Jones argued during the trial that Nance shot Kennedy after receiving a text from Eric West wanting to know if Nance knew someone who would “beat up” Kennedy. Kennedy allegedly owed West’s girlfriend Pamela Whitaker between $2,000 and $2,500 for drugs.

According to Jones, Clark contacted Kennedy to set up the meeting. During her conversation with Kennedy, she made it sound like she wanted to meet with Kennedy to purchase drugs and Kennedy also believed he would have sex with Clark during their meeting.

Jones argued Nance wanted to rob Kennedy for the money he owed Whitaker, and steal the drugs Kennedy was believed to have.

Defense Attorney Derek Yarbrough argued Nance did respond to the text about beating up Kennedy, but said the shooting was accidental.

Yarbrough said Nance never had any intent to kill Kennedy.

“Joshua did pull out a gun, but Paxton’s vehicle began to roll, and the door or the door frame hit Joshua’s arm causing the gun to discharge,” Yarbrough said. “There was no intent. This was accidental.”

Nance testified during this trial he brought a gun for protection, but all he planned to do was punch Kennedy in the nose, not shoot him.

Nance’s sentencing will be held at a later date.

https://www.dothaneagle.com/news/cri...ffd81c0f6.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Once facing the death penalty, Dothan man receives 20 years in fatal shooting

DOTHAN, Ala. (WTVY) -- A man who once faced the death penalty will serve 20 years, for the shooting of a man, while attempting to collect a drug debt.

A jury convicted Joshua Nance of Dothan, last month, of manslaughter in the death of Paxton Kennedy in 2016. He had faced capital murder charges.

Nance's girlfriend, Dama Clark, reportedly arranged the rendezvous with Kennedy, her former lover, who anticipated having sex with Clark to provide her with methamphetamine, testimony revealed.

Unknown to Kennedy, she brought Nance along to intimidate him in an effort to collect a drug debt owed to Clark's friend, Pamela Whitaker.

Nance borrowed a pistol and, when he approached Kennedy who was also armed, pulled the gun. However, he testified he had no intention of shooting Kennedy but, instead, planned only to “punch him in the nose.”

He claims the pistol fired when Kennedy,seated in his pickup,“popped the (truck's) clutch and it lunged forward. The vehicle brushed Nance's hand, causing the gun to go off.

Nance told jurors he and Clark panicked so they sped away, not realizing Kennedy had been shot until reading news reports the following day.

Clark still faces capital murder charges as do Whitaker and her boyfriend Eric West.

Nance testified West contacted him to confront Kennedy and that Whitaker, West's girlfriend, supplied the drugs Kennedy refused to pay for.

Nance will receive credit for the 38 months he has been jailed since his arrest.

https://www.wtvy.com/content/news/On...507092061.html

Related:

Capital murder trial rescheduled for suspect in 2016 slaying

By Michelle Forehand
    Dothan Eagle

A September trial for one of the four suspects charged with capital murder in the 2016 death of Paxton Kennedy is rescheduled for November.

Dama Nell Clark’s trial will begin Nov. 4 in Circuit Judge Larry Anderson’s courtroom.

Clark is charged with capital murder for shooting into an occupied vehicle. Investigators say she intentionally caused the death of the 23-year-old Kennedy by shooting him in the head with a .380-caliber pistol while he sat inside a 1994 Nissan pickup truck on Monday, Jan. 4, 2016.

Clark was arrested later in January 2016 in Panama City, Florida, and transported back to Houston County.

Joshua Steven Nance, Clark’s boyfriend, was originally charged with capital murder but was found guilty of a lesser charge of manslaughter in a February 2019 trial. Pamela Henderson Whitaker and Eric Lance West were also charged with capital murder, but those charges were dismissed, and Whitaker and West are free on bond until a grand jury reconsiders the cases against them.

Officials believe the shooting was drug-related.

Investigators testified in February that Nance fired the shot that killed Kennedy, and that the other three charged acted as accomplices. According to previous testimony, Kennedy owed Whitaker money for drugs.

Nance testified during his trial that Clark called Kennedy to set up a meeting location the night he was shot and killed.

https://www.dothaneagle.com/news/cri...160ced73c.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information