Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cedric Joseph Marks - Texas Death Row

Junior Member Stranger
    Muskegon woman charged with hiding double murder suspect has case dismissed

MUSKEGON, MI — A Muskegon woman who was charged with, and pleaded guilty to, harboring a double murder suspect has had the case against her dismissed.

Ginell McDonough, 38, had been charged with hiding her now ex-husband, former mixed martial arts fighter Cedric “Spiderman” Marks, while he had a warrant out in Texas.

McDonough initially pleaded guilty to a charge of harboring a fugitive on Jan. 31. After the Muskegon County Prosecutor’s Office agreed to dismiss her charges, McDonough withdrew her plea during her sentencing hearing on Nov. 19.

Her case was officially dismissed Nov. 24, according to court records.

McDonough’s defense attorney, Michael Oakes, credited the prosecutor’s office in being open to looking at all the facts prior to McDonough’s sentencing and agreeing that his client was also a victim of Marks’.

Oakes said McDonough, a staff sergeant with the U.S. Army, knew Marks had a warrant out at the time he was arrested, but it was for a breaking and entering case and he had told her he was attempting to get it taken care of.

“She thought he had an outstanding warrant that had nothing to do with the killings,” Oakes said. “In her mind, this was her husband and he had gone down (to Texas) to try to take care of it and he told her they told him to come back the next month and it would be handled.”

Oakes said the entire situation has been an embarrassing one for his client, who has since had her marriage to Marks annulled. Once the matter began being investigated, Oakes said, it was learned that Marks was married to another woman before he married McDonough and that he had never gotten a divorce.

Marks also had a girlfriend, Maya Maxwell of Muskegon, who like him, is awaiting trial in the January 2019 double killing of Marks’ ex-girlfriend Jenna Scott and Scott’s boyfriend, Michael Swearingen. Scott and Swearingen are believed to have been killed in Killeen, Texas on or around Jan. 4. They were found Jan. 15 buried in a shallow grave in Clearview, Oklahoma.

Marks was reported to have been at McDonough’s home before he left with Maxwell on Jan. 1, 2019 for Texas. The two returned on Jan. 5, one day after Scott was last seen. McDonough is said to have let both Marks and Maxwell stay in her home from Jan. 5-8.

Marks and Maxwell were arrested Jan. 8, 2019 in Grandville.

Marks is also a person of interest in the 2009 disappearance of a Bloomington, Minnesota, woman, with whom Marks had a child, several media outlets have reported.

Oakes said there were a lot of red flags regarding Marks’ behavior, but his client blindly trusted him.

“He’s a very manipulative person, and she was just another victim of his,” Oakes said. “It was pretty unfortunate how these events went down but my client has always been forthcoming in dealing with authorities. I think the outcome is a justified outcome taking the ordeal as a whole.”

https://archive.is/1JGkL#selection-1383.0-1519.285

Judge denies motion to throw out the death penalty option in Cedric Marks trial

By Dean Wetherbee
    Fox 44 News

The attorneys for Capital Murder suspect Cedric Marks petitioned the court today to throw out the death penalty option if Marks is found guilty.

Marks is accused of killing Jenna Scott and Michael Swearingin more than two years ago.

Scott and her friend Michael Swearingin were both reported missing from Temple on January 4, 2019. Investigators later found their bodies in Oklahoma.

Marks’ attorneys told Judge Steve Duskie of the 426th Judicial District Court that the COVID-19 pandemic has interfered with their ability to investigate the case.

Bell County District Attorney Henry Garza argued the judge should deny the motion, saying the court did not have the authority to preclude the death penalty.

After hearing the attorneys debate the issue, Judge Duskie denied the motion.

The defense also asked the judge to issue a stay in setting a trial date during the COVID-19 pandemic would put everyone’s health at risk. Judge Duskie denied that motion, saying there is no plan to set a trial date for the next three to four months.

Marks has pleaded not guilty to all charges, including burglary and capital murder.

Maya Maxwell is also facing Capital Murder charges for the deaths of Jenna Scott and Michael Swearingin.

She gave birth to Mark’ son in June of 2019. Child Protective Services says it had a court order to take custody of the boy. He is now in foster care and is reportedly doing well.

https://www.fox44news.com/news/local...c-marks-trial/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Bond reduction denied for Capital Murder suspect Cedric Marks

By Dean Wetherbee
    Fox 44 News

Judge Steve Duskie refused to reduce the bond Tuesday for the man accused of killing Jenna Scott and Michael Swearingin.

Cedric Marks asked Tuesday to reduce his bond from $1.5 million to $200,000, calling it an unreasonable amount of money.

Scott and Swearingin were both reported missing from Temple on January 4, 2019. Investigators later found their bodies in Oklahoma.

Cedric Marks has been in the Bell County Jail since February of 2019, after being arrested in Michigan. While on his way back to face the murder charges, authorities say Marks escaped custody. He was later caught after a nine-hour manhunt.

Marks’ brother and sister testified that they are helping to raise cash for the $200,000 bond. If released, Marks would live in Arlington with his sister, Darlena Marks-Simmons.

During testimony, Cedric Marks and his siblings told the court that he has no money and his only property that could be used as collateral is a collection of Transformer toys appraised to be worth $30,000.

The Bell County District Attorney’s Office argued that he is a flight risk with possible contacts across the country. The judge agreed with the prosecutor and denied the bond reduction.

https://www.fox44news.com/news/local...-cedric-marks/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Related:

Trial date set for Maya Maxwell

By Dean Weatherbee
    Fox 44 News

The jury trial for Capital Murder suspect Maya Maxwell is set for November 15th, 2021.

426th Judicial District Court Judge Steve Duskie set that date Friday during a hearing.

During the same hearing, attorneys for Maxwell asked the judge to reduce her bond, but he denied the request.

Maxwell is accused of helping Cedric Marks get rid of the bodies of Jenna Scott and Michael Swearingin back in 2019.

According to court documents, Maxwell told police that Marks killed the two in Jan. 2019 and then dumped their bodies in Oklahoma - and that she drove Swearingin’s car to Austin to throw police off.

According to the arrest affidavit of Maya Maxwell, she admitted to Detective Corey Powell during an interview that she knew a criminal offense had been committed, namely the theft of Swearingin’s 2016 Hyundai Genesis.

Marks is in Bell County custody after allegedly escaping from a private prisoner transport van in Conroe, just north of Houston. Authorities caught him hours later, and Marks was booked into the Bell County Jail on several charges, including Capital Murder of Multiple Persons.

https://www.fox44news.com/news/local...-maya-maxwell/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Capital murder pre-trial hearing set for Cedric Marks

Capital murder suspect Cedric Marks is scheduled to be back in court Tuesday for a pre-trial hearing.

Marks is accused of killing Jenna Scott and Michael Swearingin in Bell County in 2019 – and then burying their bodies in Oklahoma.

Last week, FOX44 News told you a Bell County judge set a trial date for Maya Maxwell this November – who is accused of being Marks’s accomplice and the mother of his most recent child.

FOX44 News will be at Tuesday’s hearing and let you know what takes place.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...ric-marks/amp/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Cedric Marks to represent himself in capital murder trial

Dean Wetherbee

BELL COUNTY, Texas (KWKT) — Bell County District Judge Steve Duskie has approved capital murder suspect Cedric Marks’ request to represent himself at trial.

Marks is accused of killing Jenna Scott and Michael Swearingin in 2019.

According to court documents, the 426th Judicial District Court judge signed the motion on Monday, Aug. 23 to discharge Marks’ counsel. Judge Duskie ordered the Regional Public Defender for Capital Cases to hand over the defense file to Marks.

Investigators found the bodies of Scott and Swearingin buried in Oklahoma more than three years ago.

Police arrested Marks in Michigan three days after finding Swearingin’s car abandoned in Austin. A week later, Marks was to be extradited to Bell County.

In February 2019, Marks escaped custody in Conroe and was found after a nine-hour manhunt.

The next day he woke up in the Bell County Jail with formal capital murder charges and had his bond set at $1.7 million.

A grand jury indicted Marks. Court documents claim Marks knowingly caused the death of Swearingin by strangulation and Scott by homicidal violence at a Killeen home on Jan. 3, 2019.

Marks pleaded not guilty to all charges, including burglary and capital murder, the following month.

If found guilty, Marks faces life in prison or the death penalty.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kxa...der-trial/amp/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Trial date set for Capital Murder suspect Cedric Marks

By Dean Wetherbee
    Fox 44 News

426th District Court Judge Steve Duskie has set April 4th, 2022 as the start date for the trial of Cedric Marks.

Marks faces Captial Murder charges for the deaths of Jenna Scott and Michael Swearingin. They were both reported missing from Temple on January 4, 2019. Investigators later found their bodies in Oklahoma.

Cedric Marks has been in the Bell County Jail since February of 2019, after being arrested in Michigan. While on his way back to face the capital murder charges, authorities say Marks escaped custody. He was later caught after a nine-hour manhunt.

Back in August, Marks fired his attorneys and petitioned to represent himself. According to court documents, the 426th Judicial District Court Judge signed the motion on Monday, Aug. 23rd to discharge Marks’ counsel. Judge Duskie ordered the Regional Public

Defender for Capital Cases to hand over the defense file to Marks.

Marks has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges he faces. If found guilty, he could face the death penalty.

The trial for Maya Maxwell is scheduled to start next month, November 15th. Maxwell is accused of helping Cedric Marks get rid of the bodies of Jenna Scott and Michael Swearingin back in 2019.

According to court documents, Maxwell told police that Marks killed the two in January 2019 and then dumped their bodies in Oklahoma – and that she drove Swearingin’s car to Austin to throw police off.

According to the arrest affidavit of Maya Maxwell, she admitted to Detective Corey Powell during an interview that she knew a criminal offense had been committed, namely the theft of Swearingin’s 2016 Hyundai Genesis.

Maxwell gave birth to a baby boy on June 2nd, 2019 while in custody. The father of the child is said to be Marks. Child Protective Services took the child into custody and placed him in foster care.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Double murder suspect, Cedric Marks, still facing June trial despite pretrial hearing

Representing himself, Marks argued with prosecutors over several issues, and said he needed more information for the trial. The trial timeline didn't change

By Andrew Moore
    kcentv.com

BELTON, Texas — Cedric Marks argued for and won the right to represent himself when his trial on a capital murder charge begins. Back in October of 2021, that trial was set for April 4, 2021. It was changed to June 13 last February.

Marks entered the 426th District Court Monday for a pre-trial hearing and had several disagreements with prosecutors. This time, however, the June 13 trial date did not change.

Marks entered the room wearing a mask and spread out several documents before him. No attorney sat by his side as Judge Steve Duskie addressed him.

Marks had several issues he wanted to address. He told the Duskie he wanted to issue a subpoena to a company for some phone calls. Duskie told him he was already free to do that. Marks also said he wanted to ask for a court-appointed investigator but had put it "on the back burner." Duskie told him that had already been discussed and there is nothing stopping him from doing that as well.

"Do what you need to do," Duskie said.

Bell County prosecutors, on the other hand, told the judge they had simply been waiting on Marks.

Marks then started on his first contentious issue. He wanted Duskie to compel prosecutors to give him a copy of the evidence and information they found during the discovery phase. He claimed he had a right to that discovery information under Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Chapter 39.

Prosecutors said pro se defendant could be shown the information but they are not required to make copies. Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Chapter 39.14 (d) indicates the same:

"In the case of a pro se defendant, if the court orders the state to produce and permit the inspection of a document, item, or information under this subsection, the state shall permit the pro se defendant to inspect and review the document, item, or information but is not required to allow electronic duplication as described by Subsection (a)."

Duskie eventually denied Marks' motion.

Marks also got into a disagreement with prosecutors over providing his fingerprints to the state. Prosecutors said Marks had only provided his palm prints and not his fingers on the two occasions that he was asked to provide prints. Marks claimed that he provided the prints correctly twice and said he didn't want to do it again because he was worried about "a plant." Marks did not elaborate on what that meant.

Duskie said they would need to take that issue up another day but did not change the trial date.

https://www.kcentv.com/article/news/...7-c187540353ca

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Trial for Capital Murder suspect Cedric Marks pushed back

By Dean Wetherbee
    FOX 44 News

Bell County (FOX 44) — The trial for Capital Murder suspect Cedric Marks will not start on June 13th as one planned. It is now set for October 4th, 2022, according to the office of 426th District Court Judge Steve Duskie.

Marks faces Captial Murder charges for the deaths of Jenna Scott and Michael Swearingin. They were both reported missing from Temple on January 4, 2019. Investigators later found their bodies in Oklahoma.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Paywall

EXCLUSIVE: Court approves Marks spending $7,500 for capital murder defense

By Christian Betancourt
    Temple Daily Telegram

BELTON — A Bell County judge approved a request for capital murder suspect Cedric Marks to spend $7,500 to hire forensic experts to help prepare his criminal defense.

https://www.tdtnews.com/news/central...d4d246c77.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information