Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US may impose death penalty on drug dealers

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar

US may impose death penalty on drug dealers

US may impose death penalty on drug dealers

Pakistan Observer

Washington - The administration of US President Donald Trump is examining new policy that could allow the death penalty for drug dealers as a way to address the country’s worsening opioid epidemic.

The US Justice Department and the White House’s Domestic Policy Council are studying potential policy changes and that a final announcement could come within weeks, The Washington Post reported Friday, citing officials familiar with the discussions.

The White House could make trafficking large quantities of fentanyl, a powerful synthetic opioid, a capital crime because even small amounts of the drug can be fatal, the newspaper said.

White House officials also are studying tougher noncapital penalties for large-scale drug dealers. Trump administration officials said Trump has privately expressed interest in Singapore’s policy of executing drug dealers. Singapore’s model is more in line with the administration’s goals for drug policy than some other countries, a senior administration official said.

Last week, Trump said that the White House would soon roll out unspecified “strong” policies on illegal drug trade.

“Some countries have a very tough penalty, the ultimate penalty, and they have much less of a drug problem than we do,” Trump said during an appearance at a White House summit on opioids last week.

Opioid overdoses were up 30 percent in the last year across the United States, according to a new report by the US government. Underscoring that the drug abuse epidemic in the country is getting worse.

There were 142,000 visits to US hospital emergency departments due to opioid overdoses between July 2016 and September 2017, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported Tuesday.

The US Justice Department said last year it will aggressively prosecute traffickers of any fentanyl-related substance. The head of the department, Attorney General Jeff Sessions, has directed federal prosecutors to pursue the most severe penalties for drug offenses.

In November, Trump declared the country’s drug crisis a “public health emergency.” He also announced an advertising campaign to combat the epidemic, but did not direct any new federal funding toward the effort. US government and healthcare officials have been struggling to stem the epidemic of overdoses, which killed more than 64,000 Americans last year alone, up from 52,000 the previous year. More than half were related to opioids.—Agencies

https://pakobserver.net/us-may-impos...-drug-dealers/
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

This would be interesting to see how Trump goes about this as a Federal Capital Offense! Attorney General Jeff Sessions backs the idea behind Trump so it must be good... If for instance, the Federal Death Penalty changed their method of execution to firing squad or nitrogen gas in the coming years, that would be more appropriate. Lethal injection litigation is still holding up in the courts and no sign of making an appearance anytime soon. Hoping Trump will set aside state death sentences for current states who use the death penalty or wholly under Federal law...

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    This will be ruled unconstitutional if anyone even passes it. Only about 20 murderers are executed a year. There's no way drug dealers are going to be executed.

Trump is aiming at drug dealers. We'll see in the coming weeks what he and his administration do in the meantime. Is he looking at Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia or Singapore for answering the issue with an opioid epidemic Fentanyl sweeping across the US. All those countries mentioned widely use the death penalty frequently.

The supreme court has pretty much ruled capital punishment for non homicide offenses unconstitutional. There's no way this is ever going to happen.

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    US government and healthcare officials have been struggling to stem the epidemic of overdoses, which killed more than 64,000 Americans last year alone, up from 52,000 the previous year. More than half were related to opioids.—Agencies
    The number of death by overdoses , make me understand why there have been a reaction from Trump and others officials.
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

I've seen our government conducting an offensive on drugs in the past year. For instance our Military is finally bombing Taliban puppy farms. Trumps silence regarding Duterte's drug war is a sign on his take on illicit drugs. I don't see drug dealers ever getting the DP since the high court has pretty much spelled out that only murder at this time is the only crime death should be allowed for. It will be interesting to watch how Trump responds to the overdose crisis over the next couple of years however.

This is one thing I differ from Trump and republicans. I think we should end the drug war and legalise drugs as well as other victimless crimes such as prostitution.

It is my understanding that the federal government has laws for the death penalty for drug trafficking. No one has ever received a death sentence for this, so it has gone unchallenged. It is likely unconstitutional in light of recent decisions, but maybe if Trump can replace 2 out of the 3 elderly judges on SCOTUS we can get it OK'd. The death penalty for drug trafficking is fine by me.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

That federal law is intended for kingpins like EL Chapo not for lower level drug dealers. Looking at how long death penalty ligation there is no way in hell that any sentenced to death under that would be executed before newer judges from different presidents come in and stop it.
    Last edited by Mike; 03-13-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information