Thread: Brandon Edwards Sentenced to Life in Prison in 2019 TX Slaying of His Three-Year-Old Son

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar

Brandon Edwards Sentenced to Life in Prison in 2019 TX Slaying of His Three-Year-Old Son

Dallas Man Charged With Capital Murder After Stabbing 3-Year-Old Son, Wife

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A man is in police custody after stabbing his 3-year-old son and wife Saturday evening in Dallas, police say.

Dallas police arrived at Old Hickory Trail around 6:30 p.m. after a woman reported her husband had stabbed her and their son. She had fled their apartment with their seven-year-old daughter when she called police.

When officers arrived to the apartment, they said they found the suspect hanging out of the second floor window. He jumped through the window and was taken into custody.

Police said they also found their 3-year-old son injured from an apparent knife wound.

The boy was rushed to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The mother was also taken to a hospital and remains in stable condition. The daughter wasn’t injured.

Police identified the suspect as 35-year-old Brandon Edwards. He is charged with capital murder.

One of Edward’s neighbors said he witnessed the arrest Saturday night. Kejuan Mathis said he overhead Edwards talking to police.

“He kept saying all this weird stuff,” said Mathis. “I want to kill him. I’m going to kill him. And so they finally got to him, he ran across the street. He tried to run off and that’s when the officers decided to stop him and detain him.”

Another neighbor said she found the incident disturbing.

“It was scary you know everybody was out here, everybody was crying,” said Tattyanna Davis. “It wasn’t right. He always seemed to have normal behavior, but this incident was not normal behavior.”

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/01/13/...-old-son-wife/
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Mistrial declared in capital murder trial of Dallas man accused of killing 3-year-old son

By Krista M. Torralva
    5:36 PM on Jul 21, 2021 CDT

The capital murder trial for a Dallas man accused of killing his 3-year-old son ended in a mistrial Wednesday.

Jurors were divided 11-1 in favor of convicting Brandon Edwards, 37, defense lawyer Paul Johnson said.

Lawyers questioned the holdout juror in a hearing that was closed to the public. The juror said she did not believe that Edwards was guilty and felt that reviewing the evidence wouldn’t change her mind, Johnson said.

State District Judge Tina Clinton declared a mistrial. Lawyers said it was too early to determine how they’d proceed. Prosecutors could decide to take Edwards to trial again. He previously rejected an offer from prosecutors to plead guilty to murder — not capital murder — in exchange for a 60-year prison sentence.

Under that deal, Edwards could have been considered for parole after 30 years. Because prosecutors weren’t seeking the death penalty, a capital murder conviction would have carried an automatic life sentence without the possibility of parole.

Prosecutors couldn’t explain how Edwards killed his son, Bryson Edwards, on Jan. 12, 2019, in their home at the Greens of Hickory Trail apartments near West Wheatland Road. Dr. Tracy Dyer, a Dallas County deputy chief medical examiner, said that asphyxiation was Bryson’s cause of death and that his fatal injuries were consistent with strangulation and smothering. But she couldn’t say for sure what was used to kill Bryson.

Bryson also had scrapes, bites and stab wounds, but Dyer said those injuries were not what killed him.

Edwards’ ex-partner, Quiana Williams, testified that he first attacked her with a knife during an argument in their upstairs bedroom. Bryson and his sister intervened and Williams was able to break free, she said. Edwards’ daughter, now 11, testified that she picked up her brother and followed her mother outside the apartment. But Edwards snatched Bryson from her arms and shut and locked the front door, the girl said.

Bryson was unconscious when police and paramedics arrived and Edwards was leaning out an upstairs window yelling nonsensical things, neighbors and first responders testified during the trial, which lasted a day and half.

Jurors deliberated about three hours Tuesday before being released for the evening. During the first day of deliberations, they sent a note asking if they could consider other charges besides capital murder. The judge said they could not.

After deliberating about 30 minutes Wednesday, jurors sent several more notes. In one, the jury foreperson said that one juror refused to look at all the evidence, specifically photos. The foreperson asked if the juror could be excused. An alternate juror waited in another room.

The judge initially declined prosecutors’ requests to interview the holdout juror before clearing the courtroom of spectators. An hour later, she declared a mistrial.

Jurors appeared emotional throughout testimony. Two jurors cried when the girl spoke about guilt she feels for not being able to save her brother. Two jurors also cried when prosecutor Marissa Aulbaugh showed autopsy photos of Bryson during Dyer’s testimony. One juror looked down at the floor each time Aulbaugh walked in front of the jury with the photos.

“This case is not easy to stomach,” Aulbaugh said during closing arguments before jurors began deliberations. “It’s not supposed to be easy to stomach because sometimes evil is just evil.”

Johnson, the defense lawyer, argued that prosecutors didn’t explain what happened behind closed doors in the apartment that day and that jurors shouldn’t be able to find Edwards guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, the legal threshold required to convict.

“I know the question in your mind is, ‘How is it possible for him to do something like that in his right mind?’” Johnson told jurors. “You can’t answer that question.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cour...-year-old-son/
    Last edited by Bobsicles; 07-21-2021 at 08:09 PM.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Wilso
    Pure evil.
    Last edited by Wilso; 07-21-2021 at 08:08 PM. Reason: bob posted the news right before me oop

Exactly. Also the same DA who chose not to seek the death penalty for this guy is the same one who chose not to seek it for Billy Chemirmir. Dallas needs to vote this wimp out

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Wilso
    I was flabbergasted when they announced no DP for Billy Chemirmir especially at their weak excuses to "justify" that asinine decision. Serial killers should always get the DP no matter what.

Luckily Collin County can still try him

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Dallas father sentenced to life in prison for killing his 3-year-old son

By Krista M. Torralva
    Dallas News

A Dallas father was sentenced to life in prison after jurors in his second trial found him guilty of capital murder for killing his 3-year-old son.

Prosecutors said Brandon Edwards killed the child, Bryson Edwards, after attacking the boy’s mother in their home at Greens of Hickory Trail apartments near West Wheatland Road in January 2019. But prosecutors couldn’t explain how Edwards killed his son.

A Dallas County deputy chief medical examiner testified that asphyxiation was Bryson’s cause of death and that his fatal injuries were consistent with strangulation and smothering. But she couldn’t tell jurors for sure what was used to kill Bryson.

Jurors in Edwards’ second trial took less than two hours to convict him last week. He faced an automatic life sentence because prosecutors were not seeking the death penalty.

Edwards’ lawyers filed a motion requesting a new trial. He may also appeal his conviction.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cour...ar%2Dold%20son.

Thread Information