Thread: Owen Shover and Gary Shover Arrested in 2019 CA Murder of Aranda Briones

Senior Member CnCP Legend

Owen Shover and Gary Shover Arrested in 2019 CA Murder of Aranda Briones

Aranda Briones missing case: 2 brothers arrested on suspicion of murder

By Rob McMillan and Eileen Frere
    KABC-TV

MORENO VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Two brothers have been arrested in connection with missing Moreno Valley teenager Aranda Briones, Riverside County sheriff's officials announced.

Sheriff's officials said Owen Skyler Shover, 18, was arrested on suspicion of murder, and Gary Anthony Shover, 21, was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.

There was no bail information listed for the two men, who were both arrested in Hesperia between 1 and 2 a.m. Monday. According to Aranda's family, Aranda and the two suspects were high school friends.

Aranda was reportedly last seen on Sunday, Jan. 13 near the Moreno Valley Community Park at Frederick and Cottonwood. Her family said the last person she was with was Owen Skyler Shover, who claimed she was dropped off there to be with one of her friends and she was spotted getting into a gray four-door car. Sheriff's officials said a camera system that was reviewed destroys that timeline.

"I think he's a bad influence, in my opinion," Aranda's uncle Matthew Horstkotte said. "He used to go to Moreno Valley High School, and they stopped hanging out for, like, a year. She never talked about him and then, all of a sudden, they started hanging out and out of the blue air she disappeared."

At an afternoon press conference, Riverside County sheriff's Lt. Chris Durham said homicide investigators received some evidence that has led them to believe Aranda was murdered. It also led them to obtain arrest warrants for the Shover brothers.

Neighbors also claimed that investigators found several items after digging in the suspects' home in Hesperia last month.

"It was like a blanket and a coat, and then they started sitting all these little markers around and digging in other places," one neighbor said.

So far, there have been no sign of Aranda, and a search for her body is ongoing.

Family members showed up at the Moreno Valley police station on Tuesday. Aranda's father, who said he was out of her life until a few months ago, said he's still holding out hope that she'll be OK.

"I know what is true: she's alive to me, she's always going to be alive until I find her...," her father, Chapo Lee, said through tears. "I just barely got her back into my life, I hadn't seen her since she was 4. I saw her for the first time in November, and it was the happiest moment of my life."

Since her disappearance, authorities have combed through surveillance video and called in help from human trafficking investigators and the FBI to locate the 16 year old. Durham asked for anyone who may know anything about Aranda to come forward with information.

Aranda is 5 feet 4 inches tall, weighs about 110 pounds, has brown hair and hazel/green eyes and has a unique mark on her chin. She also has a nose piercing. She was last seen wearing a white and blue jacket, a dark shirt and dark jeans.

The Riverside County Sheriff's Department is following up with a number of leads, and investigators are searching through footage of Moreno Valley's citywide camera system.

The brothers are expected to make their first court appearance on Friday.

Anyone with information can contact Investigator David Drexler at the Moreno Valley Police Department at (951)486-6700 or the Riverside County Sheriff's Department after hours dispatch at (951)247-8700.

A tip line has also been established where callers can leave anonymous information: (951) 247-8700.

https://abc7.com/aranda-briones-miss...urder/5134814/

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Brothers charged with killing missing Moreno Valley teen Aranda Briones to be arraigned Friday

By Robert Gundran
    The Press-Enterprise

Two brothers arrested Monday and charged with killing missing Moreno Valley teen Aranda Briones will be arraigned Friday morning, Feb. 15.

Owen Skyler Shover, 18, of Moreno Valley; and Gary Anthony Shover, 21, of Hesperia, will appear at the Hall of Justice in Riverside around 8:30 a.m. Friday, according to the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office.

The district attorney’s office said it filed a special circumstance that alleges the Shovers were lying-in-wait before killing Briones,16. A guilty verdict would make each eligible for the death penalty.

Both Shovers are in jail and ineligible for bail. Owen Shover is being held at the Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside. Gary Shover is at the Larry D. Smith Correctional Facility in Banning.

Investigators have not found Aranda’s body, but they found evidence in one suspect’s backyard that led investigators to believe the girl was killed, according to the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department.

Briones and Owen Shover knew each other as acquaintances from Moreno Valley High, family members have said.

Sheriff’s officials said Briones never returned home Monday, Jan. 14, after a night out with friends.

https://www.pe.com/2019/02/14/brothe...aigned-friday/

Brothers accused of killing Moreno Valley teen Aranda Briones plead not guilty

By Beatriz E. Valenzuela
    San Bernadino County Sun

Two brothers accused of killing Moreno Valley teenager Aranda Briones pleaded not guilty in Riverside Superior Court on Friday, March 1.

Owen Skyler Shover, 18, of Moreno Valley and Gary Anthony Shover, 21, of Hesperia had been charged with murder and an enhancement of lying in wait. They could face the death penalty, if convicted.

Family members of Aranda — including her uncle Matt Horstkotte — sat in the back of the courtroom. The suspects did not look at them.

Gary Shover, dressed in a blue shirt and tie, and his brother Owen, in a dark suit, sat in the jury box, chains around their waists, as they spoke to their attorneys.

The Shovers are being held in custody without bail.

Briones was reported last seen on Jan. 13 at Moreno Valley Community Park after spending time with friends.

After the hearing, Aranda’s family left the courtroom and one woman said all they wanted was justice for the 16-year-old.

In a FacebookLive post before Friday morning’s hearing, Horstkotte thanked friends for their support.

“I want justice for my niece,” he said in the video.

The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department continues to search for the 16-year-old’s body and has asked that anyone with information call the Sheriff’s Department at 951-486-6700.

https://www.sbsun.com/2019/03/01/bro...cted-in-court/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information