Thread: Scottie Dean Allen - Florida Death Row

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member CnCP Legend

Scottie Dean Allen - Florida Death Row

Scottie Allen, facing death penalty, set for trial

Jury selection to get underway on Monday for inmate charged with killing another prisoner at WCI

By William Snowden
    TheWakullaNews.com

Jury selection is set to begin Monday, Feb. 18 for the murder trial of Scottie Allen, who is charged with killing his cellmate at Wakulla Correctional Institution in 2017.

If found guilty of first degree murder, the state will be seeking the death penalty.

Allen has made the decision to represent himself at trial.

At a hearing on Wednesday, Feb. 6, Allen insisted to Circuit Judge Ron Flury that he wanted to serve as his own lawyer. Allen also told the court that he did not want Assistant Public Defender Nancy Lowery Showalter to assist him or to serve as standby counsel.

On Oct. 2, 2017, while an inmate at Wakulla Correctional Institution, Allen is charged with killing his cellmate, Ryan Matthew Mason, by strangling him to death. According to the probable cause affidavit, Allen told FDLE investigators that he killed Mason because he found out his cellmate was a child molester.

Allen was in WCI serving a 25 year sentence for second-degree murder in Broward County.

Allen has indicated at several hearings that he understands the potential drawbacks of representing himself.

Asked why he wanted to represent himself, Allen responds: “Nobody knows my case more than I do, better than I do.”

Allen, who is 41, has told the court he finished 11th grade and later got a GED.

According to the probable cause, Allen reportedly said he raped Mason over a couple of days prior to murdering him as “retribution” for him being a child molester. He allegedly killed him around 8:40 in the morning, strangling him to death with a shirt around the neck, and then put the body in bed to make it appear he was sleeping.

After making it through a couple of counts without the dead body being discovered, during the afternoon Allen reportedly went to a female officer in the recreation yard to report it.

He recounted to the FDLE investigator that he walked up to the female officer and said, “Hey listen, I really hate to ruin your day, but I killed my roommate six and a half hours ago.”

The officer told investigators that she almost didn’t believe him because his tone was so casual.

Allen also reportedly sent a letter of confession to Wakulla Chief Prosecutor Brian Miller confessing to the murder.

At the end of the FDLE interview, Allen reportedly told law enforcement that he wanted to be charged with first degree murder and put on death row, that he did not want to grow old in prison and that if he got out he would do it again.

Among the aggravating factors cited by the state in its notice to seek the death penalty are that it was a murder committed by a person previously convicted of murder, was especially heinous or cruel, and committed while engaged in robbery or sexual battery.

According to the probable cause, after the murder, Allen took Mason’s commissary card that had $40 on it and tried to use it, but the “canteen man” wouldn’t let him scan it.

The autopsy revealed that the shirt used to strangulate Mason had been so tight on his throat that it fractured his spine.

https://www.thewakullanews.com/conte...alty-set-trial
    Last edited by Steven; 05-13-2022 at 10:30 AM.

Thread Information