Thread: Death Penalty Trial Set for Crystal Michele Stephens in 2018 NV Murder of Brandon Steckler Jr.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Death Penalty Trial Set for Crystal Michele Stephens in 2018 NV Murder of Brandon Steckler Jr.

Brandon Steckler Jr.

Death penalty maybe sought for woman in Las Vegas child abuse case

By David Ferrera
    Las Vegas News Journal

Prosecutors are expected to seek the death penalty against a 42-year-old woman accused of torturing and killing a 4-year-old boy.

Crystal Stephens was indicted Wednesday on more than two dozen charges in the death of Brandon Steckler Jr., who was found July 30 in an apartment in the 300 block of East Silverado Ranch Boulevard. The boy died in a hospital the next day.

Along with murder, Stephens faces one count of first-degree kidnapping, one count of sexual assault on a minor, and 24 counts of child abuse, neglect or endangerment.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Jacqueline Bluth told a judge that she intends to present the charges to her office’s committee that reviews cases for capital punishment within the next 30 days.

Brandon had suffered so many injuries, the prosecutor said, that a medical examiner has yet to determine which caused his death. The boy had been under Stephens’ watch for more than three weeks before he was found, riddled with burns, bruises and other scars.

The nonverbal autistic boy had been burned from the top of his head to his toes, including burns inside his mouth, according to the prosecutor.

He also suffered broken ribs, a lacerated liver, a broken collarbone and a collapsed lung.

Brandon died at the hospital the next day, according to the release.

Detectives believe Stephens had “recent business dealings” in Washington state and are seeking information about her movements in past months, it said.

Stephens told police that she was watching Brandon and his sister for two weeks while Brandon’s mother was living in an unspecified domestic violence shelter.

Clark County Department of Family Services documents showed at least four incidents from July to October 2016 where the department received a referral or report alleging neglect or abuse by Stephens.

In each case, the allegations were found to be “unsubstantiated,” or with “factual circumstances that did not rise to the level of warranting an investigation.”

Stephens remained in the Clark County Detention Center without bail.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...-case-1601607/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

DA to seek death penalty for woman accused of torturing, killing 4-year-old boy

By David Ferrera
    Las Vegas News Journal

Prosecutors said Thursday that they will seek the death penalty for a 42-year-old woman accused of torturing and killing a 4-year-old boy.

Crystal Stephens faces more than two dozen charges.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...d-boy-1618372/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Letsdoit
    Absolute EVIL! How could she come up with such demonic acts to a child who cant understand what is being done to him?!! Why?! Oh my god!! As I saw his little face my heart melt. Good riddance! I hope the death penalty is what will be her punishment!

Death of 4-year-old boy in Las Vegas ruled homicide

By David Ferrera
    Las Vegas News Journal

The Clark County coroner’s office ruled the death of a 4-year-old boy a homicide Tuesday, about a month after prosecutors said they would seek the death penalty for the woman accused of torturing and killing him.

Brandon Steckler Jr., a nonverbal autistic boy, was found July 30 in an apartment in the 300 block of East Silverado Ranch Boulevard, after he had spent weeks in the care of 42-year-old Crystal Stephens. He died at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center the next day from multiple injuries and complications, the coroner’s office said Tuesday.

Prosecutors in March said they will seek the death penalty for Stephens, who faces charges of murder, first-degree kidnapping, sexual assault on a minor and 24 counts of child abuse, neglect or endangerment.

If convicted and sentenced to die, Stephens would be the only woman on death row in Nevada, Chief Deputy District Attorney Jacqueline Bluth has said.

The prosecutor said in March that a medical examiner had not determined Brandon’s cause of death because he had suffered from so many injuries, including burns, multiple bruises and scars, broken ribs, a lacerated liver, a broken collarbone and a collapsed lung.

Stephens told police that she was watching Brandon and his sister for two weeks while Brandon’s mother was living in a domestic violence shelter.

Stephens’ trial is set for Feb. 25, according to District Court records.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...icide-1648031/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Jury trial rescheduled for 8/19/24

https://redrock.clarkcountynv.gov/cc...Reference.aspx
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information