Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General Mafia News / Mob Murders

Dominic Taddeo, Mob Hitman Who Killed 3, Escapes From Federal Custody

By Katie Wermus
    Newsweek

A New York mobster and hitman who killed three people and attempted to take the lives of two others has escaped from custody, according to the Bureau of Prisons website.

Dominic Taddeo, 64, escaped from federal custody on March 28 after going to an approved medical appointment but failed to return. He had less than a year left on his sentence and was staying in a halfway house that works with inmates for scheduled release, the Democrat and Chronicle reported.

Taddeo was serving a 54-year sentence after pleading guilty in 1992 to racketeer influencing and corrupt organizations (RICO) crimes. He was most known for killing three people, attempted assassination of two others, and conspiracy to kill another. Prior to living in the halfway house, he was incarcerated in a medium-security prison in Coleman, Florida, according to the Democrat and Chronicle.

He has an extensive criminal history and allegedly worked with the La Cosa Nostra organized crime family in Rochester, New York. He had prior convictions for assault, conspiracy to distribute controlled substances and conspiracy to commit RICO crimes, the newspaper reported.

Newsweek reached out to the Federal Bureau of Prisons for comment but did not hear back in time for publication.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/dominic-taddeo-mob-hitman-who-killed-3-escapes-from-federal-custody/ar-AAVKShA?ocid=EMMX&cvid=3b3025736e01453a9cdfb8b2c79 5ebe4
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Power-hungry Brooklyn mobster, 44, is found guilty of orchestrating killing of his mob boss dad, 71

By Melissa Koenig
    Daily Mail

A power-hungry Brooklyn mobster was found guilty Wednesday of orchestrating a plot to kill his mob boss father and older brother.

Prosecutors have claimed in a month-long trial that Anthony Zottola, 44, colluded with Bloods gang members and hired a hitman to carry out the murder of his father, Sylvester Zottola, 71, in an attempt to take over his father's $45 million real estate empire.

They have described the younger Zottola as a power-hungry and ruthless man who joked with Bloods gang member Brushawn 'Shelz' Shelton after he and his associates completed the $200,000 killing.

He was also accused of making botched attempts on the life of his brother Salvatore, and was found guilty by a jury in Brooklyn Federal Court on Wednesday for the 2018 slaying at a Bronx McDonald's drive-through.

His co-defendant, 36-year-old hitman Himen Ross, was also found guilty of carrying out the shooting, while a third-co-defendant, Alfred Lopez, the accused getaway driver, was acquitted of all charges.

'Over the course of more than a year, the elderly victim, Sylvester Zottola, was stalked, beaten and stabbed, never knowing who orchestrated the attacks,' US Attorney Breon Pearce said in a statement.

'It was his own son, who was so determined to control the family's lucrative real estate business that he hired a gang of hitmen to murder his father.

'For sentencing his father to a violent death, Anthony Zottola and his co-defendant will spend the rest of their lies in prison, where they belong, as a result of today's verdict.'

Zottola is scheduled to be sentenced on February 2.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...26e3d45170c244
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

New England ex-mob boss 'Cadillac Frank' Salemme dies in prison at 89

Salemme was serving a life sentence for the 1993 killing of a Boston club owner

By Bradford Betz
    Fox News

Former New England Mafia boss, Francis "Cadillac Frank" Salemme, died Tuesday at the age of 89, according to the Bureau of Prisons.

Salemme, who was serving a life sentence for the 1993 killing of a Boston nightclub owner, led the Patriarca crime family in Boston in the early 1990s.

Salemme was living in Atlanta under the name Richard Parker when remains of the nightclub owner, Steven DiSarro, were unearthed in 2016.

Salemme maintained he had nothing to do with DiSarro's death, but was convicted after his onetime best friend testified against him.

Salemme’s reign as Mafia boss ended when he, notorious Boston gangster James "Whitey" Bulger and others were charged in a sweeping racketeering case in 1995. Salemme and Bulger fled after they were tipped off to the impending indictment by Bulger's FBI handler, John Connolly Jr.

Salemme was arrested in Florida several months later while Bulger spent 16 years on the lam before being captured at the age of 81 in Santa Monica, California. Bulger was killed by fellow inmates in prison in 2018 at the age of 89.

The racketeering case revealed that Bulger and Salemme's best friend, Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, had secretly worked as FBI informants. Upset that his fellow mobsters had turned on him, Salemme agreed to plead guilty and cooperate with authorities.

Salemme testified in 2002 against Connolly, who was convicted of helping Bulger avoid prosecution. In exchange, Salemme was released from prison early and entered the witness protection program.

DiSarro's nightclub, The Channel, was under scrutiny at the time for the Salemmes' involvement in the business. Just before DiSarro's death, the FBI told him he was about to be indicted and should cooperate with the government against the Salemmes.

Salemme's death was first reported Sunday by WPRI-TV.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-engla...dies-prison-89

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    It's a great day for my country.

Italy’s most-wanted mafia boss Matteo Messina Denaro arrested

By Lorenzo Tondo
    The Guardian

Matteo Messina Denaro, the last “godfather” of the Sicilian mafia and one of the world’s most-wanted criminals, has been arrested in Palermo after 30 years on the run.

Denaro, 60, who has been in hiding since 1993, was apprehended in a private clinic in the Sicilian city.

The mobster was once considered a candidate to be the Sicilian mafia’s boss of bosses, after the deaths of Bernardo Provenzano in 2016 and Salvatore Riina in 2017.

Nicknamed Diabolik or U Siccu (the skinny one), Denaro was born in Castelvetrano, Sicily, in 1962. His father was a powerful Cosa Nostra boss, and Denaro thrived in the family business, building an illicit multibillion euro empire in the waste, wind energy and retail sectors.

According to mafia informers and prosecutors, he holds the key to some of the most heinous crimes perpetrated by the Sicilian mafia, including the bomb attacks that killed the legendary anti-mafia magistrates Giovanni Falcone and Paolo Borsellino. In 2002, he was convicted and sentenced in absentia to life in jail for having personally killed or ordered the murder of dozens of people.

The mobster, who once infamously claimed, “I filled a cemetery, all by myself”, has apparently kept up his luxurious lifestyle, thanks to several bankrollers who, according to prosecutors, include politicians and businessmen. He was known for wearing expensive suits, a Rolex and Ray-Ban sunglasses.

Investigators have long claimed that he was being shielded by powerful Freemasons in the Sicilian province of Trapani.

The quest to locate Denaro was complicated by the near complete absence of recent photographs. With only a few identity pictures taken in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the Italian authorities reconstructed his appearance digitally, using the latest computer technology and information provided by Mafia turncoats. Some informants revealed that the boss underwent facial plastic surgery to conceal his identity, while others stated he had had his fingerprints removed.

Over the years, dozens of people have been arrested in his place in cases of mistaken identity. In 2019, the Carabinieri military police raided a Sicilian hospital to arrest a man from Castelvetrano who was recovering in the neurology unit.

In September 2021, a 54-year-old Briton from Liverpool was cuffed while having a meal in a restaurant in The Hague in the Netherlands by heavily armed police who pulled a hood over his head and dragged him out in front of dozens of terrified customers. The arrest came after Italy allegedly asked the Dutch authorities for the execution of an international arrest warrant, believing that the man was Denaro. He was released a few days later.

Despite his powerful protection network, Denaro had become increasingly isolated in recent years, according to mafia informants. Year after year, Italian police investigators relentlessly seized his businesses and arrested over 100 of his confederates, including cousins, nephews and his sister. Little by little, Italian prosecutors scorched the earth around Denaro, cutting off all his contact with his family and his supporters who protected him in hiding.

In August 2021, the Italian public TV broadcaster Rai released a recording, dating back to March 1993, in which the voice of Denaro was identified for the first time during a trial in which he was called to testify before going into hiding. On 30 September that year, Italian police released a video from 2009 in which his face can be glimpsed from afar. In the clip, recorded from a closed circuit security camera on a gravel road in the province of Agrigento, in Sicily, two men can be seen in an SUV. According to investigators, the balding passenger with eyeglasses was Denaro.

But every time investigators seemed to get closer to their target, Denaro would once again fade away. Like a ghost, he would disappear and reappear around the world. Former mobsters claimed to have seen him in Spain, England, Germany and even in South America. Others said he had never left his stronghold in Castelvetrano, in the province of Trapani, where the name Matteo Messina Denaro continued to sow fear.

Now Denaro is no longer a free man, investigators will attempt to piece together his long period in hiding, including where he was sheltered and the network of people who protected him.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...enaro-arrested

Odds the arrest actually sticks? Russia detained Semion Moglieovich years back, only to release him. I'm not sure how bad corruption is in Italy.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

His two immediate predecessors in the role of boss of bosses of Cosa Nostra, Salvatore "Totò" Riina and Bernardo Provenzano, were arrested after 23 and 38 years on the run respectively, and both died behind bars, under the so called "41-bis" (LWOP in solitary confinement, a measure reserved only for high-ranking mob bosses and terrorists).

Messina Denaro - alike Riina and Provenzano - has to serve hundreds of life sentences for countless murders, including some of the most infamous massacres in our recent history (in the case of Messina Denaro, so many murders that one of his capos said that he managed to fill the equivalent of an entire graveyard with his own bare hands, before even having become a boss). Hence, I'm quite confident that he won't see the sunlight ever again. We have a very lenient judicial system, but given our particular history, mafia is perhaps the only field in which our courts routinely use the iron fist, and rightly so. Joking around with mafia means unspeakbale bloodbaths, and we know this extremely, painfully well, so when we manage to catch a big fish, we are forced to make him disappear.
    Last edited by Mastro Titta; 01-16-2023 at 12:43 PM.

Russia is run by the Mob.

In Italy the power they have is mostly through fear. But they aren't what they were in the 80s and 90s. Great to see that the worst of the killers of Borsellino and Falcone will finally be behind bars.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Actually, Matteo Messina Denaro was not behind Falcone and Borsellino's murders. The order was given by Riina, then undisputed head of the Commission, and Provenzano, his underboss and successor, and the assassinations were organized and carried out by some capos of the Corleone family, headed by Riina's brother-in-law. At the time, Messina Denaro was the boss of another powerful family, from Castelvetrano, and he was elevated to the highest rank years later, when Bernardo Provenzano was arrested after almost 40 years on the run.
    Last edited by Mastro Titta; 01-16-2023 at 02:33 PM.

Hitman who donned Hasidic disguise to kill reformed ex-gangster arrested for brazen on-camera shooting

By Colin Kalmbacher
    Law & Crime

A New Jersey man was recently arrested for allegedly dressing up in a Hasidic-like disguise and murdering a man in New York City during a brazen-but-failed daytime robbery attempt caught on camera.

Ron Reeder, 52, was arrested following a police raid in Teaneck, New Jersey, last month, Bergen County Prosecutor Mark Musella said in a press release. Two other people were also arrested and charged with weapons, drug, and identity theft offenses. It is unclear if the other two defendants are believed to be tied to the violence that took the life of Jermaine Dixon, 46, on the morning of Sept. 6, 2021.

The victim was shot at point-blank range in the South Ozone Park neighborhood in Queens. Witnesses said the gunman pretended to work on a nearby car for hours before ambushing Dixon, NYPD sources told the New York Daily News.

The deceased man was likely chosen for the $10,000 he had on him when he was killed, NYPD sources told the New York Post at the time of the slaying, but the shooter ran off before he could get the money.

Dixon was killed as he attempted to get in his car. A second person is alleged to have acted as a lookout for the failed robbery, police say.

Law enforcement shared footage of the fatal encounter.

In the surveillance video, a man wearing a Hasidic-style hat and a long black robe appeared to be performing repairs or maintenance on a white Nissan sedan with its hood, trunk, and door open. As Dixon walked over to his own Ford Edge SUV, the killer rushed up behind him and shot him in the back of his head. He quickly rifled through the limp man’s body, came away empty-handed, made his way back to the Nissan, closed the hood, and drove away.

At the time of his death, Dixon had only been out of prison for less than a year – following a long and redemptive stay behind bars.

A former member of Brooklyn’s Patio Crew, a mob-like racketeering group that billed itself as a neighborhood social club who met at a namesake restaurant in the Flatbush neighborhood, Dixon was considered a model prisoner who made serious amends. His life sentence for a drug-related murder was cut to 30 years. Over time, he got a college degree and filed for compassionate release.

“It is clear that I am not the young man that your honor sentenced 20 years ago,” Dixon wrote to now Senior U.S. District Judge Raymond Dearie – since famous for briefly serving as the Mar-a-Lago document scandal special master. “I am now asking your honor to again take a chance with me and let me re-enter society to prove to myself, my mother, children, family and also the court that I can and will do the right thing upon release. I blame no one but myself for the road I chose that put me in my current situation.”

Reeder has been in and out of prison, according to the Daily News.

A task force made up of the Bergen County Regional SWAT Team and the NYPD raided the defendant’s Garden State apartment in late February. The alleged shooter was extradited to the Big Apple late last week, where he was charged with murder and weapons offenses.

https://lawandcrime.com/crime/hitman...mera-shooting/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Son of Bronx mobster ‘Sally Daz’ sentenced to life for 2018 execution of his father

By Ellen Moynihan and Larry McShane
    New York Daily News

The duplicitous son of a reputed Bronx mobster was sentenced Friday to die behind bars after orchestrating his father’s execution in a 2018 murder-for-hire plot as the victim sat helplessly in a McDonald’s drive-thru.

Anthony Zottola, 45, was involved in multiple attempts to whack his dad, Sylvester “Sally Daz” Zottola, a Bonnano family associate who created a real estate empire worth tens of millions of dollars that his greedy son hoped to seize, authorities said.

The mandatory life sentence was imposed by Brooklyn Federal Court Judge Hector Gonzalez, the final chapter in what prosecutors described as a sordid tale of greed and gunfire that targeted the defendant’s father and his brother Salvatore.

“He subjected them to what can only be called to a reign of terror,” said Gonzalez. “I’ve heard almost nothing that demonstrates any remorse. I saw greed as one of the core reasons why this crime was committed.”

Co-defendant Himen Ross, 37, was hit with the same life term as well for pulling the trigger in the killing of Sylvester Zottola and a failed hit attempt on his son Salvatore.

Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Breon Peace recounted how “Sally Daz” was repeatedly targeted for violence without ever knowing who was responsible.

“It was his own son, who was so determined to control the family’s lucrative real estate business, he hired a gang of hit men to murder his father,” said Peace. “For sentencing his father to a violent death, Anthony Zottola and his co-defendant will spend the rest of their lives in jail.”

Gonzalez imposed an additional jail term of 71 years to be served consecutively for both defendants, noting that was the age of the elder Zottola on the day of his murder, and added another 41 years — the age of Salvatore when he was targeted in 2018. Both defendants were convicted in October of last year.

Family patriarch Zottola died in a fusillade of bullets while behind the wheel of his car in the fast food drive-thru as he waited for a cup of coffee on Oct. 24, 2018. The conspirators placed a tracking device on Zottola’s vehicle, allowing Ross to stalk his target on the day of the killing.

“Can we party today or tomorrow?” a callous co-conspirator texted Anthony Zottola after the shooting.

It was the final and fatal attempt on the dad’s life following five prior failed hits, including one outside his Bronx home three months earlier. Anthony also schemed to kill his older brother as part of the plot, Salvatore Zottola surviving a July 11, 2018, attack in which he was shot in the chest, head and hand outside his home, officials said.

“Why? Anthony, my brother, why?” asked Salvatore Zottola, wiping away a single tear before sobbing as he left the hearing. “What did you do? Dad gave you everything. You destroyed every memory we had together. ... What you did to me and dad was unimaginable.”

Deborah Ann Zottola, the daughter of Sylvester Zottola, directly addressed Ross in a victim’s impact statement.

“You followed my father on his last 40 minutes in the Bronx as the video showed during the trial,” she said. “You were the man that shot my father, my lifeline, and murdered him in cold blood in his car.”

Deborah Ann, wearing a heart-shaped necklace with a photo of their dad, also addressed her sibling through tears.

“I will not dig you a deeper grave,” she said. “You will not be alone. I will be with you in thought and in prayer.”

Defense attorney Henry Mazurek, representing Anthony Zottola, insisted his client played no part in the killing of his father and promised an appeal of the verdict.

“Today is another tragic day for the Zottola family,” said Mazurek. “Anthony maintains his innocence of this awful crime and vows to continue his fight to show his family that he was not behind the brazen attacks on his father and brother.”

His client spoke briefly, saying that he missed his two siblings and loved his wife and their three children.

The slain father amassed his fortune over the decades by operating “Joker Poker” gambling machines in the Bronx, authorities said.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...p6y-story.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information