Thread: FBI Agent and Russian Spy Robert Hanssen Dead at 79

FBI Agent and Russian Spy Robert Hanssen Dead at 79

Robert Hanssen, most damaging spy in FBI history, found dead in prison cell

The Hill

Robert Hanssen, an FBI agent who spied for Russia and the former Soviet Union, was found dead in his prison cell on Monday, according to a release obtained by CBS News.

Hanssen was found unresponsive at the Federal Correctional Complex in Florence, Colorado, pronounced dead after life-saving measures were attempted, according to the release from the Federal Bureau of Prisons director of communications, Kristie Breshears.

“Staff requested emergency medical services and life-saving efforts continued. The inmate was subsequently pronounced dead by outside emergency medical personnel,” the release reads.

The 79-year-old had been in custody at the Florence ADX for more than two decades, since 2002. He’d pleaded guilty to 15 counts of espionage in 2001 and been sentenced to life in prison without parole.

The FBI’s site calls Hanssen “the most damaging spy in Bureau history.” Under an alias, he’d provided Russians with highly classified national security information “in exchange for more than $1.4 million in cash, bank funds, and diamonds.” His espionage activities dated back to 1985, according to the FBI page.

The Monday release shared by CBS News did not include information about a cause of death for Hanssen. Breshears noted that no staff or inmates were injured, and that the FBI was alerted of the death. The Hill has reached out to the FBOP for more.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-...-spy-fbi-dead/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Been waiting for this a very long time. Good riddance.

Good riddance indeed. Too bad he wasn't executed.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

If I remember correctly, he was facing the death penalty but he pled guilty to avoid it.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information