Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grady Wayne Wilkes Sentenced to LWOP in 2019 AL Slaying of Officer William Buechner

Edited:

Suspected killer of Auburn officer indicted by Lee County Grand Jury

By Elizabeth White
    WRBL News

AUBURN, Ala. (WRBL) – A Lee County Grand Jury has indicted an Auburn man in the Capital Murder of Auburn police officer Will Buechner, along with three counts of Attempted Murder and Domestic Violence Strangulation.

The Auburn officers were met with gunfire on May 19, 2019, while responding to a domestic violence call at Arrowhead Mobile Home Park off Wire Road. Officer William Buechner was killed in the shooting. Officers Webb Sistrunk and Evan Elliott were injured, another Auburn officer escaped the shooting without injury.

The suspect, 30-year-old Grady Wilkes, was arrested some nine hours later about a mile away from the scene of the shooting.

A Lee County Grand Jury returned the indictments after they met on September 17, 2020. Wilkes is being held without bond.

Wilkes is facing Domestic Violence Strangulation involving the mother of his child.

District Attorney Brandon Hughes is seeking the death penalty. Wilkes has an arraignment date set for October 23.

https://www.wrbl.com/alabama-news-2/...ty-grand-jury/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Tentative trial date set for man accused in Capital Murder of Auburn police officer

By Elizabeth White
    WRBL News

LEE COUNTY, Ala. (WRBL) – The man accused in the Capital Murder death of an Auburn Police Officer could go to trial during the October 2022 term, but the defense says they will probably need more time to prepare according to information reveled in a status hearing Monday inside the Lee County Justice Center.

31-year-old Grady Wilkes is being represented by William Whatley who told the judge it would be hard to be ready by October. Another status hearing was set for April to discuss the timeline. The trial is expected to take at least two weeks, and a larger jury pool is expected to be brought in for the case.

Wilkes is being held without bond for the Capital Murder of Auburn Officer William Buechner. Several Auburn police officers, along with Buechner’s motorcycle club were inside the courtroom Monday to show support to Buechner’s family. Wilkes also faces three counts of Attempted Murder of APD Officers Webb Sistrunk and Evan Elliot who were injured in the shooting. Another Auburn Police Officer who was fired upon, but not wounded.

Wilkes also faces Domestic Violence Strangulation involving the mother of his child.

The District Attorney’s Office is seeking the death penalty.

https://www.wrbl.com/news/tentative-...olice-officer/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Tentative trial date set for man accused in Capital Murder of Auburn officer

By Elizabeth White
    WRBL News

AUBURN, Ala. (WRBL) – A trial date has been tentatively set for the man accused in the Capital Murder of Auburn police officer Will Buechner, along with three counts of Attempted Murder and Domestic Violence Strangulation.

Friday, during a pre-trial hearing a tentative trial date was set for February 6th 2023. The hearing was attended by several law enforcement officers, the family of William Buechner and his motorcycle group.

https://www.wrbl.com/news/tentative-...uburn-officer/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Trial for man accused in Capital Murder of Auburn Police Officer set for Feb. 6th

By Elizabeth White
    WRBL News

AUBURN, Ala. (WRBL) – Loved ones of slain Auburn Police Officer William Buechner have waited three years and seven months for his accused killer to face judgment in front of a jury.

A status hearing in the Capital Murder case, where prosecutors are seeking the death penalty, was held Friday.

Auburn Police Officer William Buechner’s family and friends gathered inside a Lee County Courtroom as prosecutors, the defense, and the judge discussed the upcoming Capital Murder trial of 32-year-ole Grady Wilkes set to start February 6th. The trial could last three weeks or more.

Wilkes is charged with the Capital Murder of Officer Buechner who was a 37-year-old husband and father of two who served as a peace officer for 13 years. Wilkes also faces three counts of Attempted Murder and Domestic Violence Strangulation.

Prosecutors say on May 19, 2019, Auburn officers met with a female victim who reported her live-in boyfriend and child’s father, Grady Wilkes, had choked her and threatened to kill her. Prosecutors say when officers knocked on the door of the home of Wire Road, Wilkes answered wearing body armor and immediately began firing at the officers. Officer Buechner, Officer Mark “Webb” Sistrunk, and Officer Evan Elliott were all struck by gunfire, another officer escaped without injury.

Wilkes was arrested some nine hours later about a mile away from the scene of the shooting. Buechner’s murder marked the darkest day in Auburn Public safety history as the first Auburn officer killed in the department’s history. Buechner’s family, brothers and sisters in blue, and a community have waited nearly four years for a jury to be seated as they hope for justice.

https://www.wrbl.com/news/trial-for-...t-for-feb-6th/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Capital Murder trial for slain Auburn Police Officer postponed again

Elizabeth White

OPELIKA, Ala. (WRBL) – There is another significant delay in the Capital Murder trial of a man accused of gunning down an Auburn Police Officer and inuring other officers in 2019. This latest postponement comes just one week before jury selection was scheduled to start on Feb. 6th.

Officer William Buechner’s family and APD have waited three years and eight months for his accused killer to be judged by a jury. Now, they will wait another six more months for a protected July 31st trial date.

32-year-old Grady Wilkes is charged in the Capital Murder of Officer Buechner, a 37-year-old husband, and father of two who served as a peace officer for 13 years. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

In a Motion to Continue Trial filed on Friday, January 27, Wilkes’ defense attorneys explain in the past three weeks they’ve received additional discovery from the prosecution, including recordings, diagrams, and statements. Wilkes’ attorneys also say defense witnesses have provided information critical to the case not previously available.

“6. Counsel for both parties has worked diligently to prepare for the scheduled trial date in this case. Any delay in disclosure of evidence is not the fault of counsel for either party but was unavoidable as both parties have been gathering additional evidence relevant to the issues in this case. 7. The recent receipt of evidence has led to the need to request additional evidence that is relevant and critical to the defense. This additional information will not be available before the scheduled start of the trial in this case. 8. It will be impossible for counsel for the Defendant to be prepared for trial on the scheduled date,” read the Defense Motion to Continue.

Monday, a Lee County Circuit Judge approved the continuance.

“The Court has worked closely with counsel for both parties and is confident they all have prepared with the utmost diligence, as have the Court Administrator and Clerk. Defendant has been, and will continue to be, incarcerated. Having considered the grounds set forth by Defendant and by the State, and applying the standard set by the law, as the Court is required to do, the Court hereby GRANTS said motion. The trial will be continued from its current setting February 6, 2023, and is RESET to commence during the term beginning July 31, 2023, at 8:30 a.m. That is a two week term.DONE this 30th day of January, 2023. /s/ CHRISTOPHER J HUGHES.”

Prosecutors say on May 19, 2019, Auburn officers met with a female victim who reported her live-in boyfriend and child’s father, Grady Wilkes, had choked her and threatened to kill her. The woman had run away from the mobile home where the couple lived off Wire Road and had met with responding officers near the front of the Arrowhead mobile home community. Prosecutors say when officers knocked on the door of the home, Wilkes answered wearing body armor and immediately began firing at the officers. Wilkes was allegedly armed with an AR-15. Officer Buechner, Officer Webb Sistrunk, and Officer Evan Elliott were all struck by gunfire, another officer escaped without injury.

Wilkes was arrested some nine hours later about a mile away from the scene of the shooting. Wilkes was in the Army National Guard. Police say they had no prior contact with Wilkes.

Buechner’s murder marked the darkest day in Auburn Public safety history as he was the first officer killed in the line of duty in the department’s history.

https://www.wrbl.com/news/capital-mu...ned-again/amp/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Remembering Auburn fallen officer William Buechner after four years

By Reagan Ranzer
    WTVM News

AUBURN, Ala. (WTVM) - It has been four years since Auburn police officer William Buechner was killed in the line of duty after responding to a domestic disturbance call.

32-year-old Grady Wilkes was arrested and charged with capital murder as prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Today family and friends gathered for a private ceremony to honor the fallen officer.

“With his bike, he thought it was a big trick, but he would put his feet up on the handlebars and kind of ride like that, and he would be like … look at me,” said Ruben Garza.

Friday marks three years since Auburn police officer William Buechner was shot and killed in the line of duty… This morning family, friends and officers gathered at Officer Buechner’s grave for a private ceremony to honor the sacrifice he made.

“Another big part of what we try to do is keep Will’s name out there and make sure no one ever forgets the sacrifice that he’s made,” Duke Garner.

Buechner, who served for the department for 13 years, responded to a domestic disturbance call On May 19th with two other officers…when 32-year-old Grady Wilkes reportedly shot all three... wounding two and killing Buechner.

“I woke up this morning, and he’s all over social media, and it’s awesome. I don’t think anyone is going to forget,” said Ruben Garza.

Last year, Auburn City Council announced a multimillion-dollar project connecting Martin Luther King Drive, known as Alabama Highway 14, to Richland Road to be named after fallen officer William Buechner.

“It’s approximately 1.3 miles also, there will be a multi-use path adjacent to the roadway. The plan is to have it completed by July of 2023,” said Project Manager Brad Griffth.

Ruben Garza said every event that is held helps give back to support the Buechner family, including the two children, Henry and Mckenna.

“What we do now is for the future of those little ones that he has,” said Garza.

The annual memorial ride in honor of Buechner is being postponed, Garner said it’s only right to have this ride take place on William Buechner Parkway once it is complete.

“We normally do it this weekend, but they are at the anniversary, but they are opening it up William Buechner Parkway soon,” said Garza.

Garza said they would let everyone know when that new date will be announced on their Facebook page Auburn Gunners.

A trial date for Grady Wilkes, who is being charged with capital murder, was recently pushed back to July 31, 2023.

https://www.wtvm.com/2023/05/20/reme...er-four-years/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Jury selection slated to begin in Capital Murder of Auburn officer

Elizabeth White

OPELIKA, Ala. (WRBL) – Jury selection begins Monday in the Capital Murder trial of a man accused of gunning down Auburn Police Officer William Buechner and inuring other officers in 2019.

32-year-old Grady Wilkes is charged in the Capital Murder of Officer Buechner, a 37-year-old husband, and father of two who served as a peace officer for 13 years. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Prosecutors say on May 19, 2019, Auburn officers met with a female victim who reported her live-in boyfriend and child’s father, Grady Wilkes, had choked her and threatened to kill her. The woman had run away from the mobile home where the couple lived off Wire Road and had met with responding officers near the front of the Arrowhead mobile home community. Prosecutors say when officers knocked on the door of the home, Wilkes answered wearing body armor and immediately began firing at the officers. Wilkes was allegedly armed with an AR-15. Officer Buechner, Officer Webb Sistrunk, and Officer Evan Elliott were all struck by gunfire, another officer escaped without injury.

Wilkes was arrested some nine hours later about a mile away from the scene of the shooting. Wilkes was in the Army National Guard. Police say they had no prior contact with Wilkes.

Buechner’s murder marked the darkest day in Auburn Public safety history as he was the first officer killed in the line of duty in the department’s history.

https://www.wrbl.com/news/jury-selec...n-officer/amp/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Edited:

Jury seated in Capital Murder of Auburn Officer, testimony to start Monday

WRBL News

OPELIKA, Ala. (WRBL) – A five-day jury selection process is complete in the Capital Murder trial of a man accused of gunning down Auburn Police Officer William Buechner and inuring other officers in 2019.

32-year-old Grady Wilkes is charged in the Capital Murder of Officer Buechner, a 37-year-old husband, and father of two who served as a peace officer for 13 years.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Friday morning 12 jurors and four alternates were chosen by both the defense and prosecution after four days of intense questioning regarding their potential knowledge of the case, their feelings on capital punishment, and other issues critical to seating a fair and impartial jury.

After the jurors were informed they had been selected, they were dismissed for the weekend and asked to return Monday morning when we expect opening statements and testimony to begin.

https://www.wrbl.com/news/jury-seate...-start-monday/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

“Lord, please help me.” Testimony reveals last words spoken by slain Auburn officer

By Elizabeth White
    WRBL News

OPELIKA, Ala. (WRBL) – A jarring first day of testimony unfolded Monday in the Capital Murder trial of Grady Wayne Wilkes, who is accused of donning his National Guard armor and wielding an AR-15 in the deadly shooting of Auburn police officer Will Buechner, and the wounding of two other officers as they responded to a domestic violence call.

We do want to caution you, testimony included the playback of distressing body camera videos, which may be traumatic for some individuals.

Assistant District Attorney Clay Thomas began the prosecution’s opening statements by sharing Officer Buechner’s last words “Lord, please help me” with the jury.

“He said these words as he was lying in a drainage ditch, at Arrowhead trailer park dying from gunshot wounds. He died in the line of duty because of the intentional conduct of one person, the defendant. Grady Wayne Wilkes,” Thomas told the jury.

Wilkes’ defense team doesn’t dispute he pulled the trigger but claims he’s not guilty because of mental disease or defect. Defense attorney William Whatley told jurors in opening statements Wilkes suffers from a laundry list of mental health issues including PTSD, disassociation, and hypervigilance.

“Wayne, at the time of the shooting, was suffering from bipolar disorder, long-standing depression exacerbated by excess alcohol use,” Wheatley told jurors.

Prosecutors say in May 2019, Auburn officers met with a female victim who reported Wilkes, her live-in boyfriend, and child’s father, had choked her and threatened to kill her. She informed Officer William Buechner, Officer Webb Sistrunk, Officer Evan Elliott, and

Officer Ron Askelson she wanted to break up with Wilkes, but he didn’t, and had refused to leave the mobile home. Her account of being assaulted and threatened by Wilkes was captured on Officer Evan Elliott’s body cam and played in court while Elliott was on the stand.

“So he pushes me on the bed, and he chokes me and tells me he’s gonna kill me,” the girlfriend can be heard saying to the officers.

After a discussion with the police, the girlfriend agreed it would be best to stay somewhere else for the night. The officers were going to go to speak with Wilkes, so the girlfriend could safely pack a suitcase. According to testimony when officers got to the mobile home, Officer Buechner was positioned at the backdoor. Officers Elliott, Sistrunk, and Askelson were at the front porch. Elliott knocked on the door. Wilkes opened it, dressed and armed for battle.

“Mr. Wilkes was standing there wearing a helmet, body armor, and bearing an AR-style rifle,” Elliott testified.

The jury saw what happened next via Officer Elliott’s body cam. You can hear the officer knock on the door, then you hear the alarm in his voice as he sees Wilkes. Elliott says, “Hey Bud. Hey. Hey. Hey Bud. Hey Bud. Hold up. Hey Bud. Hey!! Get Back!!! (Gunshots). Officer hit. Officer Hit.”

If a viewer were to describe Elliott’s body cam video as disturbing, what jurors saw next was outright horrifying. Officer Buechner’s final moments were documented on his body camera and played for the jury. As soon as Buechner heard the shots, he ran towards the threat to help his fellow officers. Quickly, Buechner encounters Wilkes who fires several shots. Officer Buechner falls into a drainage ditch. You can hear him gasp and struggle to breathe as he whispers, “Lord, please help me.” Officer Will Buechner died at the scene.

Several hours after the shooting testimony reveals Wilkes was located some distance away from the mobile home. Wilkes later took investigators to a creek bed near Interstate-85 where he had stashed the rifle used in the shootings. Wilkes was arrested and charged with one count of capital murder and three counts of attempted murder.

The defense says he’s not guilty and not guilty because of mental disease and defect, we are waiting to see if he takes the stand in his defense.

https://www.wrbl.com/news/lord-pleas...uburn-officer/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Testimony: Defendant took police to rifle, armor used in Auburn officer murder

By Elizabeth White
    WRBL News

OPELIKA, Ala. (WRBL) – During day two of testimony in the Capital Murder trial of the man charged with killing an Auburn officer and attempting to kill two others, jurors witnessed the determination and desperation of those who tried to save 37-year-old Auburn Police Officer William Buechner’s life.

32-year-old defendant Grady Wilkes is accused of donning his National Guard body armor, shield, and helmet while wielding an AR-15 with a laser sight in the deadly shooting of Officer Buechner, and the wounding of Officer Evan Elliott and Webb Sistrunk as they responded to a domestic violence call.

Opelika police officer Richard Gross was the first officer on the scene to render aid to Officer Buechner. Gross testified when he heard the emergency call over the radio, he got permission from his command to respond. Gross was familiar with the scene of the shooting, Arrowhead Mobile Home Park, because he used to live there and did work for the owner. Gross told jurors he took the back entrance to the mobile home community and waited in a field for further info. When he heard CPR was being performed via radio chatter, he drove further into the mobile home community and located two civilians performing CPR on Officer Buechner. Gross testified he pulled Buechner out of the ditch to get them on a flat surface, took over CPR, and called for backup.

Officer Gross’ body cam footage was played for the jury. They saw the desperate acts of the civilians and officers and heard the anguish in their voices as they unsuccessfully worked to get Buechner’s pulse back. Jurors saw the officer, husband, and father of two carried to a patrol unit, then transported to an ambulance.

Assistant District Attorney Clay Thomas began the prosecution’s opening statements by sharing Officer Buechner’s last words “Lord, please help me” with the jury. Later on day one of testimony Officer Will Buechner’s body cam was played for jurors. They saw Buechner running towards the threat to help his fellow officers after he heard the gunshots. Quickly, Buechner encounters Wilkes who fires several shots. Officer Buechner falls into a drainage ditch. You can hear him gasp and struggle to breathe as he whispers, “Lord, please help me.” The moans and gasps continue, indicating Buechner was Agonal breathing, a natural reflex when the brain is not getting the oxygen it needs to survive. Agonal breathing is a sign a person is near death.

“He died in the line of duty because of the intentional conduct of one person, the defendant. Grady Wayne Wilkes,” Thomas told the jury.

Wilkes’ defense team doesn’t dispute he pulled the trigger but claims he’s not guilty because of mental disease or defect. Defense attorney William Whatley told jurors in opening statements Wilkes suffers from a laundry list of mental health issues including PTSD, disassociation, and hypervigilance.

“Wayne, at the time of the shooting, was suffering from bipolar disorder, long-standing depression exacerbated by excess alcohol use,” Whatley told jurors.

Prosecutors say in May 2019, Auburn officers met with a female victim who reported Wilkes, her live-in boyfriend, and child’s father, had choked her and threatened to kill her if she didn’t leave. Tuesday, the former girlfriend testified before jurors and said

Wilkes was a heavy drinker, who played video games and rarely left the house while she was busy attending school to become a veterinarian. She testified the two were staying in separate bedrooms and she was trying to break up with Wilkes, but he refused to leave. She said before that night Wilkes had never physically harmed her.

“He pushed me to the bed and began choking me. He was yelling in my face so hard he was spitting on me. He then yelled at me to get out or he would kill me,” the girlfriend testified.

The girlfriend left, hid outside, and called her mom. The mother called the police. Officer William Buechner, Officer Webb Sistrunk, Officer Evan Elliott, and Officer Ron Askelson responded. After a discussion with the police, the girlfriend agreed it would be best to stay somewhere else for the night. The officers were going to speak with Wilkes, so the girlfriend could safely pack a suitcase. According to testimony when officers got to the mobile home, Officer Buechner was positioned at the backdoor. Officers Elliott, Sistrunk, and Askelson were at the front porch. Elliott knocked on the door. Wilkes opened it, dressed and armed for battle.

“Mr. Wilkes was standing there wearing a helmet, body armor, and bearing an AR-style rifle,” Elliott testified.

The jury saw what happened next via Officer Elliott’s body cam. You can hear the officer knock on the door, then you hear the alarm in his voice as he sees Wilkes. Elliott says, “Hey Bud. Hey. Hey. Hey Bud. Hey Bud. Hold up. Hey Bud. Hey!! Get Back!!!

(Gunshots). Officer hit. Officer Hit.”

Several hours later testimony reveals Wilkes was located some distance away from where the shooting happened. He later took investigators to a creek bed near Interstate 85 where he had stashed the rifle used in the shooting. Wilkes was arrested and charged with one count of capital murder and three counts of attempted murder.

The defense says Wilkes is not guilty and not guilty because of mental disease and defects. The defense will have the opportunity to call witnesses after prosecutors rest their case. We do not know if Wilkes will testify in his defense.

If Wilkes is found guilty by jurors, it will be up to the same jury to recommend his ultimate sentence. Prosecutors are pushing for death. The defense is working for a not guilty verdict, or to spare Wilkes’ life.

https://www.wrbl.com/news/testimony-...fficer-murder/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information