Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Governor DeSantis Execution Warrant Discussion

Guys don't forsake DeSantis yet. Rick Scott oversaw I think 5 executions in his first 2 years in 2011 and 2012 before hitting his stride. Please have some patience.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

I remember how happy everyone was back during the summer on this thread. Now after the Dailey fiasco, everyone does have a right to be annoyed at Desantis.

The Governor is clearly neglecting his duties to carry out the lawful sentences imposed by the juries and upheld by the courts. There is absolutely no reason DeSantis has to remain stagnant on carrying out other executions pending resolution of Daileys appeals. To be clear, DeSantis has already gone on record and said he wont move forward with Daileys case until the courts resolve the underlying issues regarding his "possible" innocence. So I ask, why the hell not sign a warrant for Edward Zakrzewski, William Sweet, or Bryan Jennings where there is no doubt as to their guilt and fall into the same categories of murdering a young child? In Zakrzewskis case, it was his own son.... Makes no sense, he stalemate all other warrants pending one guys case.. I suggest someone send DeSantis a well informed Tweet on twitter informing him he's neglecting his duties. I would but I dont do twitter.

Now that DeSantis has a full bench on the court, you guys think his execution numbers will increase? Dailey should be on his way out soon.

Senior Member Member OperaGhost84's Avatar
    Just keep in mind that courts, which were always slow, are even slower thanks to Covid. DeSantis has a populist streak in him, and the Death Penalty is popular in Florida. And if you’re a Florida resident, consider writing a letter. I know I will.
    I am vehemently against Murder. That's why I support the Death Penalty.

It has been nine months since DeSantis lifted the state's restrictions on COVID and we have yet to see any DP progress. Clearly COVID was not the reason he's refusing to do his job.

I don't believe he will sign a warrant unless it's to divert attention off of the numerous issues that are piling up surrounding his lackluster administration. Election time is only 17 months away at this point.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

I’ve always wondered how Putnam would’ve handled the death penalty had he been in office. Putnam definitely did seem a lot more tough on crime compared to DeSantis. I’m sure the Putnam Justices would’ve handled the Hurst retroactivity better.

Even if his justices couldn’t return them all to death row I’m sure they would’ve returned far more than the DeSantis judges have. The Hurst retroactivity is the biggest gripe I have with DeSantis when it comes to capital punishment. That was the number one thing I was watching for last year.
    Last edited by Neil; 06-09-2021 at 09:29 PM.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Fact's Avatar
    Dude, what are you talking about?

The Florida Supreme Court, loaded with DeSantis-nominated justices overturned a precedent from only three years earlier in a terrible vehicle to do so.

I’m well aware they overturned Hurst but didn’t reinstate the sentences. As I mentioned above. My biggest gripe was that they didn’t stop the retroactivity with the Hurst relief with Jackson and Okafar. If they couldn’t return everyone at least they should’ve reinstated some of the sentences.

I’m sure there were some inmates where the prosecutors appealed the order at first like they did with Joe Smith if I’m not mistaking. All I’m saying is the reinstatement over Hurst should’ve been much better than what they did. I get it would’ve been hard for them to reinstate someone like Jackson. Instead I get only Mark Poole back to death row.
    Last edited by Neil; 06-10-2021 at 07:02 PM.

@Neil, Poole is back on death row.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information