Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty Pursued for Patrick Wood Crusius in 2019 TX Mass Shooting

Edited:

Judge delays status hearing for Walmart shooter due to COVID-19

By KTSM Staff

EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) — The federal case against the Walmart shooting suspect was delayed on Monday.

A judge delayed a court status hearing for accused shooter Patrick Crusius because of COVID-19. According to court records, the hearing has now been rescheduled for May 3.

As KTSM 9 News previously reported, Crusius is accused of shooting and killing 23 people at the Walmart near Cielo Vista Mall on Aug. 3, 2019.

https://www.ktsm.com/local/el-paso-n...e-to-covid-19/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Accused Walmart killer’s court hearing on mass shooting’s 2nd anniversary is reset

By KVIA ABC-7 News

EL PASO, Texas -- A court hearing for the suspected Cielo Vista Walmart shooter, originally scheduled to happen on the date of the massacre's second anniversary, has now been postponed from Aug. 3 until Nov. 18.

Patrick Crusius, accused of shooting and killing 23 people, last appeared in public during a court hearing in October 2019 when he pleaded 'not guilty' to the charges against him.

The federal court hearing was that was set to happen next week was postponed for two reasons, officials indicated.

First, the court is currently dealing with a heavy backlog in criminal jury trials due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Second, both Crusius' lawyers and prosecutors agreed that they need more time to prepare for the trial and requested another 90 days.

In the docket hearing that's now scheduled for Nov. 18, both sides are expected to indicate if they are ready for trial.

If the prosecution and defense each say yes, the trial date for Crusius could then be scheduled.

https://kvia.com/news/crime/2021/07/...ary-postponed/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

El Paso DA says trial not yet set for accused Walmart shooter, death penalty still sought

By KVIA ABC-7 News

EL PASO, Texas -- El Paso District Attorney Yvonne Rosales held a very brief news conference to deliver a statement on Thursday afternoon as the second anniversary of the Aug. 3 mass shooting approaches.

She said a trial date has not yet been set for Patrick Crusius, accused of shooting and killing 23 people at the Cielo Vista Walmart in 2019.

The court system is currently dealing with a heavy backlog in criminal jury trials due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Also, Crusius' lawyers and the D.A.'s Office recently agreed that they needed more time to prepare before setting a trial date.

Rosales said her office still planned to seek the death penalty against Crusius, who pleaded 'not guilty' late last year to the charges against him.

The District Attorney declined to take questions or grant media interviews about the case.

https://kvia.com/news/crime/2021/07/...ting-memorial/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Federal trial in El Paso Walmart mass shooting could begin in March 2023, judge proposes

Aaron Martinez
    El Paso Times

A 2023 trial date — nearly five years after the deadly mass shooting at an El Paso Walmart — is being discussed as a possible date on when the defendant could be tried.

The March 6, 2023, date is the first time a possible trial date has been discussed since Patrick Crusius was indicted by a federal grand jury in February 2020.

Crusius faces 90 federal charges, including 45 hate crimes, in connection with the Aug. 3, 2019, mass shooting at an East El Paso Walmart.

The shooting left 23 people dead and dozens more injured.

The March 6, 2023, trial date was proposed by U.S. District Judge David Guadarrama during a docket call hearing Thursday at the Albert Armendariz Sr. Federal Courthouse in Downtown El Paso.

Crusius waived his appearance at the hearing.

Guadarrama said he wants to set a tentative trial date to help move the case forward, as well as show the El Paso community progress is being made.

“The community wants to know,” the judge said. “The community has a right to know when this will go to trial.”

The date is tentative and does not mean the actual trial would begin that day but would set a timetable on when the early phases of preparing to go trial, including jury selection, would begin, Guadarrama said.

He added he wanted to set a “hard” trial date so “people interested don’t have their hopes up and down” if the court is forced to change dates multiple times.

Several issues have caused delays in the case, including the massive amount of evidence, the COVID-19 pandemic and the U.S. Department of Justice still evaluating whether it will seek the death penalty.

Federal prosecutor Ian Martinez Hannah said no date has been set on when the Department of Justice will decide whether to seek the death penalty.

Crusius’ lawyer, Joe Spencer, said the decision will have a massive impact on defense lawyers’ arguments and the evidence presented during the trial.

Spencer pointed out during the hearing that there are more than 60 cases waiting for a U.S. Department of Justice decision on the death penalty. He added no decisions have been made since the beginning of the year on any such case.

Spencer asked for more time to discuss the proposed trial date with his defense team. However, he said the proposed date does not seem unreasonable.

He is expected to notify the judge if they agree to the date within the next few weeks.

Hannah said during the hearing that federal prosecutors are not opposed to having a trial date set in the first quarter of 2023.

No other issues or motions in the Crusius case were discussed at Thursday’s hearing.

Crusius is facing the death penalty in state court.

He is charged in state court with one count of capital murder of multiple persons and 22 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

No trial date has been set in state court.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...us/8673673002/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Hearing scheduled Wednesday for accused Walmart mass shooter

By Yvonne Suarez
    KVIA News

EL PASO, Texas - Federal prosecutors and attorneys for Patrick Crusius will go before United States District Judge David Guaderrama Wednesday after filing proposed scheduling orders for the murder trial of the August 2019 mass shootings at the Cielo Vista Walmart.

Back on Jan. 18, 2022, the Judge ordered the parties to "meet and confer" and propose a joint scheduling order according to a memorandum filed in court on Jan. 15.

The document states the parties could not reach an agreement but will provide their "respective desired dates" during a hearing scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 16 at 2 p.m.

The hearing is in person, but Crusius will not be in the court. A federal court filing shows he waived his right to appear.

The government's amended proposed scheduling order also filed today seeks to develop a timeline for resolving the case and operates under the assumption there will be a trial and a request for the death penalty.

Judge Guaderrama said during the Jan. 18 hearing that he wants both sides to come together and get all the pre-trial motions scheduled and concluded. He wants to start the trial in early 2023.

https://kvia.com/news/2022/02/15/hea...-mass-shooter/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Federal prosecutors unsure whether DOJ will seek death penalty in August 3 case

By Aaron J. Montes
    KTSM News

EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) — Federal prosecutors told a judge Wednesday they are still unsure whether the government will pursue the death penalty against alleged August 3 shooter Patrick Crusius.

A trial date has not been set, but a jury trial will not happen for at least another year. Federal prosecutors are looking to hold a trial by June 2023. However, Crusius’ attorneys argue the earliest date they’d be willing to go to trial is March 2025.

Judge David Guaderrama will now decide when the trial will be held and is expected to make a final decision by the end of 2022. Defense attorney Joe Spencer says any trial date before March 2025 would deny Crusius a fair trial and would deny him due process.

The State’s case against Crusius is also still pending. In a statement released to KTSM in November, District Attorney Yvonne Rosales said her office is ready for trial as soon as a jury pool can be safely assembled.

Crusius, the alleged shooter at the Cielo Vista Walmart on August 3, 2019, shot and killed 23 people and injured 23 others more than two years ago, presumably with an AK-47 style rifle.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

https://www.borderreport.com/el-paso...august-3-case/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

This is a joke! The Biden Administration and U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland will not seek the death penalty in this case. The Trump Administration would pursue the death penalty for Patrick Crusius. The El Paso DA is seeking the death penalty for Crusius.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

I agree. This is why I am glad that he is being tried in state court as well. I'd rather he goes to Huntsville than Terre Haute.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    El Paso District Attorney's Office announces $3 million state grant for Walmart shooting trial cost

By Lauren Villagran, El Paso Times

El Paso District Attorney Yvonne Rosales on Tuesday said prosecutors could be ready to bring the Walmart mass-shooting defendant to trial by year-end and has secured extra grant funding to pay the costs.

District Judge Sam Medrano hasn't set a trial date for Patrick Crusius, and the defense has requested until 2025 to prepare the case.

Rosales announced she has secured an additional $1.5 million from the governor's office, doubling to $3 million a grant to cover the prosecution costs.

"The taxpayers of El Paso should not have to bear the burden of this costly trial, with the rising economic difficulties that everyone is facing," Rosales said during a news conference. "We're glad that we have eased the mind of the taxpayers of El Paso that they will not have to pay for the prosecution of this case."

Crusius is accused of killing 23 people and injuring dozens of others on Aug. 3, 2019, in a racist attack targeting Hispanic shoppers at a Walmart near Cielo Vista Mall. He faces homicide charges in two jurisdictions, in state district and federal court.

No trial date has been set in the federal case, either.

Pandemic caused court backlogs

Both state and federal courts are dealing with the same problem: working through the numerous cases that stacked up during the COVID-19 pandemic, when court operations were drastically scaled back and jury trials suspended.

Rosales said the 409th district court is working to eliminate the backlog before proceeding on the Walmart case.

"What most judges are trying to do in all prudence is to address the murder cases, the sexual assault of children and manslaughter cases — address those first," Rosales said. "So, we eliminate the backlog of jury trials so that when we do get to the point of trial for proceeding on Walmart, (Medrano) will be able to focus specifically on that case."

Rosales said she has "every intention" to ensure the case is tried in El Paso, but if the court determines a change of venue is warranted, the grant money will help cover travel costs for her team of attorneys. The grant money also will be used to pay for expert witnesses.

In 2019, in the days after the mass shooting, the governor's Public Safety Office awarded $5.5 million in financial assistance to El Paso for law enforcement and other responding agencies. The $3 million grant is separate from that funding.

Pursuing the death penalty

Asked whether she would consider a plea deal that could send Crusius to prison for life, Rosales said she is adhering closely to the wishes of those who were hurt or lost a loved one in the mass shooting.

"At this point, I believe all the victims and all the families want us to proceed with the death penalty," she said.

She said she is concerned about the effects of the drawn-out trial process on their well-being.

"We know this has been a lengthy process, but we also need to consider that if he is convicted on this capital murder (charge), then it is an automatic appeal process," she said. "And we need to make sure the families are ready to endure that lengthy process as well. We are concerned about how this is affecting the families emotionally and psychologically.

"We always take their feelings and mindset into consideration," she said. "This was such a tragic event that we need to keep those things in mind as we're deciding to move forward."

https://eu.elpasotimes.com/story/new...tt/9907491002/

Walmart shooter trial: Jury selection and trial date set

By Jason McNabb
    ABC 7 News

EL PASO, Texas - A United States district judge has set the date for the jury selection for the Patrick Crusius trial. The trial will follow immediately after the jury selection.

Judge Guaderrama announced the selection and the trial will take place on January 8, 2024 at the El Paso Federal Courthouse. Crusius and his defense team initially wanted a March 2025 date, reportedly for more preparation. The U.S. Government wanted an even earlier trial date set in June 2023.

Guaderrama stated that there's a possibility that the government will pursue the death penalty against Crusius, but nothing is set in stone as of right now. The government looked at the timing between the indictment and trial of other federal death penalty cases to aid in their decision of selecting a date for Crusius' trial.

Crusius is being charged with 90 federal charges, including 22 counts of committing a hate crime resulting in death. He was additionally indicted on capital murder charges by a Texas grand jury. Crusius is accused of shooting and killing 23 people and injuring 23 others at an El Paso Walmart in August 2019 as part of an act of hate against Latinos and Hispanics.

https://kvia.com/news/texas/2022/06/...rial-date-set/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information