Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Donald David Dillbeck - Florida Execution - February 23, 2023

Join us in X-Night Chat!
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Donald Dillbeck has been executed by the state of Florida

His time of death was 6:13 PM EST

Florida executes man for 1990 murder while a fugitive

STARKE, Fla. (AP) — Florida executed a man on Thursday for murdering a woman in 1990 after he escaped from prison, stabbing her to death in a shopping mall parking lot in an attempted carjacking.

Donald Dillbeck, 59, was pronounced dead at 6:13 p.m. after receiving a lethal injection, the governor’s office said. He had been convicted in murder of Faye Vann, 44, in Tallahassee near the state Capitol.

The execution was Florida’s first in nearly four years and the third under Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis. By comparison, his immediate predecessor, current U.S. Republican Sen. Rick Scott, oversaw 28 executions.

Dillbeck was 11 years into a life sentence for killing a deputy when he walked away from a work release assignment catering a meal for a seniors event, according to court records. He then bought a paring knife and walked to Tallahassee.

Vann was waiting for her family when Dillbeck approached her with the knife and demanded a ride, saying he’d forgotten how to drive, court records show.

Vann honked her horn, tried to drive off and fought her attacker that Sunday afternoon, but was stabbed more than 20 times and had her throat slit by Dillbeck, the court records say.

Despite a prior escape attempt and an assault on another prisoner while serving the life sentence, Dillbeck had been placed in a minimum security facility. At the time, a furious Republican Gov. Bob Martinez fired three corrections officials and sought to implement rules to make sure prisoners with life sentences would be held in more secure settings.

Dillbeck was 15 when he stabbed a man in Indiana while trying to steal a CB radio, court records show. He fled to Florida, where Lee County Deputy Dwight Lynn Hall found him in a Fort Myers beach parking lot. While Hall was searching him, Dillbeck hit the deputy in the groin and ran. Hall tackled him and as the two wrestled, Dillbeck took Hall’s gun and shot him twice.

Dillbeck, now 59, would have had the possibility of parole after serving 25 years years of his sentence for the deputy’s murder. During the carjacking, Dillbeck told Vann to drive because he had forgotten how, according to court documents. He crashed the car shortly after stealing it and was captured after running from the scene.

A jury recommended 8-4 that he be executed. The state Supreme Court earlier this month denied appeals claiming he shouldn’t be put to death because he suffers from fetal alcohol syndrome and it was cruel and unusual to keep him on death row for more than 30 years before his death warrant was signed. The U.S. Supreme Court denied his appeals Wednesday afternoon.

DeSantis, who was reelected last November and who is considered a potential 2024 presidential candidate, was quiet on the death penalty during his first term. His office refused to answer repeated phone calls and emails about the lack of warrants signed since 2019. DeSantis also cut off an Associated Press reporter who asked about the long pause in executions and didn’t answer the question.

But DeSantis criticized a Broward County jury’s failure to sentence Nikolas Cruz to death for fatally shooting 17 students and faculty at a Parkland high school, and has since said he wants to change a 2017 state law that requires a unanimous jury recommendation to impose the death penalty so that one or two jurors can’t affect the sentence.

Since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976, Florida has been one of the most active states in carrying out executions.

Democratic Gov. Bob Graham oversaw 16 executions between 1979 and 1987. Martinez oversaw nine in his one term in office, Democratic Gov. Lawton Chiles oversaw 18, and 21 prisoners were executed under Republican Gov. Jeb Bush. Gov. Charlie Crist oversaw five executions in his single term in office.

https://www.wjhg.com/2023/02/23/man-...hile-fugitive/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Dillbeck's last statement:

“I know I hurt people when I was young. I really messed up. But I know Ron DeSantis has done a lot worse. He’s taken a lot from a lot of people. I speak for all the men, women and children, he’s put his foot on our necks. Ron DeSantis and other people like him can s—k our d—s.”

https://twitter.com/TimesDan/status/...0SLLSQz3A&s=19
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

He was even madder than Eric Scott Branch.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Junior Member Stranger
    Now he's mad and in the ground.

Edited:

Donald Dillbeck: A Life of Violent Crime

On Thursday, Dillbeck became Florida’s 100th execution since the death penalty was reinstated in 1979

By Katie Kaplan
    WCTV News

The execution began at 6:02 p.m., and Dillbeck closed his eyes shortly thereafter. He breathed deeply for a few minutes while his body shook. By 6:07 p.m., his mouth hung open, and he appeared to stop breathing, reported the AP.

It was the final chapter in a violent case that started in Tallahassee in 1990 with the killing of a mother outside a local mall, but which can be tied back to a Fort Myers Beach in 1979 with the shooting death of a Deputy Sheriff.

More than thirty years of court proceedings detail a life of crime for Donald Dillbeck, including two Capital murder convictions and multiple attempts at escape. The violence was curbed after Dillbeck was placed alone in a cell 6 x 9 x 9.5 feet high on death row following his final 1991 conviction.

Here’s a timeline of crimes, according to Leon County court records and WCTV archive reports:

1979: Dillbeck is caught trying to steal a car in his native Indiana. He stabs the owner in the chest and flees to Florida. He is charged with attempted murder while on the lam.

April 11, 1979: 15-year-old Dillbeck is caught sleeping in a stolen car at Estero Beach in Fort Myers, where he fled after the Indiana incident. He testifies he was awoken by a light in his eyes coming from the flashlight of Lee County Deputy Dwight Lynn Hall, 31.

Dillbeck exits the vehicle and tries to run. Deputy Hall catches up with him and a tussle ensues.

Dillbeck testifies that Deputy Hall said, ‘I don’t want to have to hurt you,’ which prompted Dillbeck to react by grabbing the Deputy’s gun from its holster. Deputy Hall is shot in the face and back and killed. Dillbeck is caught hiding in the surf a short time later.

Dillbeck later enters a negotiated guilty plea of first-degree premeditated murder and is sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 25 years.

At some point during his incarceration, he tells investigators that he chose Fort Myers because he once knew someone who vacationed there.

1979-1990: Dillbeck is incarcerated in several correctional institutes throughout Florida including Sumter Correctional Institution, Zephyrhills Correctional Institution, Avon Park Correctional Institution, and the Quincy Vocational Center.

1982: Dillbeck tries to escape Zephyrhills Correctional Institution by scaling a wall in front of prison guards. He is charged and one year is added to his 25-year sentence.

Post 1982: Dillbeck is caught allegedly trying to plan an escape from the Avon Park Correctional Institution.

1990: 11 years after the murder of Deputy Hall, Dillback is transferred to the Quincy Vocational Center for good behavior. Aside from the attempted escapes and a reprimand for being caught with prison contraband (alcohol), Dillbeck has a clean behavioral record during his incarceration. Several Florida Department of Corrections employees are later fired in connection to his transfer, according to a news report.

June 22, 1990: Dillbeck and other inmates are helping to cater an event for Senior Citizens of Gadsden County at Gretna Elementary School when he disappears. He is reported missing around 8:15 p.m.
    He walks for two days to Tallahassee and buys a paring knife at a Publix Grocery Store on the way.

June 24, 1990: Dillbeck arrives at the Tallahassee Mall where eyewitnesses, including one of the victim’s sons, reportedly see him leaning against a pillar surveying the parking lot. Eventually, he zeroes in on 45-year-old Faye Lamb Vann who is waiting inside her blue Chevy Nova.

Vann is a Tallahassee mother who had planned a family picnic at a local dog lake and was in her bathing suit and did not want to go inside the store. Her sons went into the Gayfers Department Store to make a quick return.

Dillbeck enters the vehicle and, using the newly-purchased knife, orders Van to drive. Dillbeck later testifies that he began stabbing her when she started to fight back.

“She screamed and then I go up to grab her and get my hair out of her hand and she wound up bitin’ me and I just go off,” he tells the jury in court in 1991.

Vann is stabbed more than 20 times. An autopsy later determines that Dillbeck severed her windpipe causing her to drown in her own blood.

Eyewitnesses in the parking lot and shoppers inside Gayfers notice the struggle inside the Chevy after it hits several other cars in the parking lot. One man with a mobile phone, new technology at the time, calls 911. A second man, Samuel Bradley, who is working as a security guard at Gayfers, chases after Dillbeck, who is reportedly covered in blood and running away from the scene. Dillbeck attempts to stab Bradley in the chest but hits him with the dull side of the knife.

Dillbeck is later caught hiding nearby. Bradley is given an award by the City of Tallahassee for his bravery.

1991: Dillbeck is indicted by a grand jury. He is convicted after a two-week trial of first-degree murder, armed robbery, and armed burglary. He is sentenced to consecutive life terms on the robbery and burglary charges, and, consistent with the jury’s eight-to-four recommendation, death on the murder charge.

In sentencing, the trial court finds five aggravating circumstances: “[1] that Dillbeck was under sentence of imprisonment and [2] had previously been convicted of another capital felony [Deputy Hall’s 1979 murder], and [3] that the murder was committed during the course of a robbery and burglary, [4] was committed to avoid arrest or effect escape, and [5] was especially heinous, atrocious, or cruel.”

Dillbeck is incarcerated on Florida’s Death Row at Florida State Prison in Raiford, outside Starke.

1991-present: In the decades that followed, Dillbeck unsuccessfully challenged his convictions and sentences many times including in 2004, 2007, 2015, 2018, 2020, 2021, and 2023. His final effort was brought to the U.S. Supreme Court, which denied his appeal the day before he was executed.

The appeal was based, in part, on the argument Dillbeck had a mental condition that was equivalent to an intellectual disability. His legal team stated he had an average IQ of 98 to 100, but was diagnosed with a fetal alcohol spectrum disorder called neurodevelopmental disorder associated with prenatal alcohol exposure (ND-PAE). Essentially, he suffered since birth from brain damage which allegedly impaired his decision-making abilities.

Court records document testimonial claims by Dillbeck’s biological father that Dillbeck’s natural mother was an alcoholic who consumed multiple packs of beer every day of her pregnancy. This eventually led his biological father to abandon the family. Dillbeck and his older sister were left in the care of his mother, who allegedly continued to drink excessively. Dillbeck’s sister testified in court that their mother was also physically abusive.

Dillbeck’s mother, according to court records, committed suicide by walking in front of traffic after being released from a mental facility. He was around 4 1/2 years old and entered the foster care system. He was reported to have been a slow learner, which allegedly prompted rejection from the foster family that adopted his sister.

He was later adopted around the age of 6 and raised by an Indiana couple before running away in the 9th grade. The couple later tearfully testified in court in 1991 asking for the judge to spare his life. They eventually moved to Florida to be able to visit Dillbeck in jail regularly.

No one from Dillbeck’s family, the Lee County Sheriff’s Office, or Deputy Halls’s family attended the execution. Vann’s daughter, Laura, attended with a family friend. Vann’s son Tony, who was inside the mall and saw Dillbeck as he walked inside the store, decided not to attend at the last minute.

Laura did not want to make a public comment after the execution, but did issue the following statement:

“11,932 days ago Donald Dillbeck brutally killed our mother. We were robbed of years of memories with her and it has been very painful ever since. However, the execution has given us some closure. We are grateful to Governor DeSantis for carrying out the sentence.

Thank you,

Tony & Laura Vann

Laura Vann told WCTV's Katie Kaplan that the execution finally brought some closure to the case and that she was ready to move on with her life.

https://www.wctv.tv/2023/02/25/donal...violent-crime/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information