Thread: Death Penalty Trial Delayed for Kacey Kawika Jennings Charged in 2022 AR Murder of Allison Maria Castro

Death Penalty Trial Delayed for Kacey Kawika Jennings Charged in 2022 AR Murder of Allison Maria Castro

Capital murder arrest made in connection to missing woman’s disappearance in Fayetteville

Gary Gilbert and Anna Darling

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — An arrest has been made in connection with the murder and disappearance of 28-year-old Allison Maria Castro.

According to Fayetteville police, Kacey Jennings, 29, has been arrested and is facing charges of capital murder and abuse of a corpse.

“Very tragic and awful situation,” said Sgt. Tony Murphy with the Fayetteville Police Department.

Police responded to a residence and located Jennings on September 19 as he was experiencing an apparent drug overdose. After getting him the medical treatment he needed, police found more.

“Officers discovered more information that led us to believe that the suspect in this case had possibly killed his ex-girlfriend,” he said.

Fayetteville police spoke with Castro’s family and learned that Jennings and Castro were previously in a relationship and lived together. Castro was entered as a missing person on September 19 after the family was unable to contact her and an investigation was launched.

One week later, on Tuesday, September 27th, police arrested Jennings. He’s facing preliminary charges of capital murder and abuse of a corpse.

“Some of the information that’s been located during the investigation led us to believe that the body of Castro was moved, or was disposed of, so that’s the basis of the abuse of a corpse charge,” explained Sgt. Murphy.

“If I would have stayed with him longer, that could have been me,” said Jennings’ ex-girlfriend, Marilyn Merino.

She said they started dating after meeting through work, and were on-again, off-again for about four years. She said it’s been about a year since they broke up for the last time. She said she was shocked to see his mug shot pop up on her Facebook feed, which is how she found out about his arrest.

“My heart dropped, my stomach dropped,” she said. “It was a horrible feeling.”

She said she didn’t expect this from him, but her family wasn’t as surprised.

“They would always sense something in him. He always seemed angry all the time,” she said. “Or like, he just had a face of not being welcoming and not friendly.”

She got emotional when sharing what she would say to Jennings if she could.

“How could you take a family’s daughter away?” She said through tears. “I’m just so hurt and disgusted by what you did. You can’t take that back and I hope you have to deal with the consequences for the rest of your life.”

As the investigation unfolded, “additional information” was discovered that led to an arrest warrant for Jennings. He was arrested on September 26 after his release from a local medical facility.

Fayetteville police are working with other law enforcement agencies to locate Castro’s body.

“Our hearts go out to the family and we’re going to do our due diligence, and investigate this as well as we can to find justice for Ms. Castro,” said Sgt. Murphy.

“I’m praying for you and I’m praying for your family,” said Merino to Castro’s family.

KNWA/FOX24 did reach out to Castro’s sister, but she said the family is too devastated to speak publicly right now.

If you have any additional information concerning the investigation, contact Fayetteville police at 479-587-3555.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/northwes...etteville/amp/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Suspect obtained restraining order against murdered woman

By C.C. McCandless
    KNWA/KFTA News

NORTHWEST ARKANSAS (KNWA/KFTA) — Kacey Jennings, the man arrested in connection with the murder of Allison Maria Castro, 28, obtained a restraining order against her this summer, only to ask for it to be dismissed one day later.

Court records show that Jennings, 29, filed for and received a temporary protection order on June 8. In a document submitted to receive the order, Jennings, 29, stated that he believed he was in “immediate danger of domestic abuse.” The filing notes that the two began living together on March 3 and adds that they were in a “dating relationship” from January 30 to May 23.

“I’m terrified of someone violent in my home,” he stated. “Allison broke up with me until June 8, 2022. I have been financially supporting her.” He also told the court that he “contacted her boyfriend asking him to take her in.”

I was awoken to bright lights in my head as Allison was punching my face, and protected my eyes from being scratched out. She walked out of my bedrooom when I locked my door. I contacted the Fayetteville Police Department to assist me in leaving the house. While I was on the phone with dispatch, Allison was banging on my door telling me to open it, and told me that she was going to beat me some more and kill me.

KACEY JENNINGS, JUNE 8, PETITION FOR DOMESTIC ORDER OF PROTECTION

Washington County Circuit Court issued an order of protection on June 8. One day later, Jennings requested a dismissal of the order. In a court filing, he said that an incident “triggered [his] PTSD of being beaten” for the first 13 years of his life. He said that led to him making a “rash decision” in requesting the order.

“I do not think the respondent is a danger to my life or a threat,” he added. The order was dismissed on June 10.

Jennings was arrested in connection with Castro’s death on September 27. He is facing charges of capital murder and abuse of a corpse. Authorities have been searching Beaver Lake for two days for evidence relevant to the case.

https://www.fox16.com/crime/suspect-...urdered-woman/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Trial date set for Fayetteville man accused of Allison Castro’s murder

By C.C. McCandless
    KNWA/KFTA News

WASHINGTON COUNTY, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — A trial date has been set for a Fayetteville man accused of murdering a missing woman.

Kacey Jennings, 29, is charged with capital murder and abuse of a corpse and his trial is scheduled for January 17, 2023. Jennings was arrested after the disappearance of Allison Maria Castro, 28, in September.

Police responded to a residence on September 19 as Jennings was experiencing an apparent drug overdose. Investigators then found “more information” that led them to “believe that the suspect in this case had possibly killed his ex-girlfriend,” according to Sgt.

Tony Murphy of the Fayetteville Police Department.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/tri...astros-murder/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Defense attorneys named in Washington County capital murder case

C.C. McCandless

WASHINGTON COUNTY, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — The defendant in an upcoming capital murder trial has been appointed a pair of public defenders.

Kacey Jennings, 29, is charged with capital murder, abuse of a corpse, tampering with physical evidence and theft of property in connection with the disappearance of Allison Maria Castro, 28, in September 2022. Fayetteville police spoke with Castro’s family and learned that Jennings and Castro were previously in a relationship and lived together.

Attorney Gregg Parrish will serve as Jennings’ lead counsel and he filed a notice of appearance with the Washington County circuit court on February 10. Co-counsel Scott Parks filed a similar notice on February 15.

Parks, the Chief Public Defender for the Northwest Arkansas Conflict Division, told KNWA/FOX24 that both attorneys are public defenders certified to try capital cases when there is a potential for the state to seek the death penalty.

Castro was reported as a missing person on September 19 after the family was unable to contact her. Police responded to a residence as Jennings was experiencing an apparent drug overdose.

Investigators then found “more information” that led them to “believe that the suspect in this case had possibly killed his ex-girlfriend,” according to Sgt. Tony Murphy of the Fayetteville Police Department.

Jennings entered a not guilty plea last fall. He is being held in the Washington County jail without bond and his next court appearance is scheduled for April 4.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/def...rder-case/amp/

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Jennings moves for delay in NWA capital murder case

C.C. McCandless

WASHINGTON COUNTY, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — The attorney for a Fayetteville man charged with the murder of a missing woman asked for a delay in the case.

Kacey Jennings, 29, was arrested after the disappearance of Allison Maria Castro, 28, in September 2022. He is charged with capital murder and abuse of a corpse.

Defense attorney Gregg E. Parrish filed a motion for a continuance in Washington County circuit court on March 29, stating that it is impossible for the defense to be “completely and fairly prepared” by the scheduled trial date.

“Capital cases are fundamentally different than any other criminal case, not only in the severity of the potential penalty, but in the nature of the evidence and information which
    must be developed,” the motion noted. “The defense needs additional time to complete its own investigation into the incident for which Defendant is charged, as well as the surrounding circumstances, including potential mitigation.”

Parrish said that the potential death penalty element means that the defense “must, in effect, prepare for two trials.” He added that the period of two months since he entered his appearance in the case is “simply inadequate” to complete the investigation and preparation needed for a capital murder trial.

In addition to the motion, Parrish, executive director of the Arkansas Public Defender Commission, wrote a letter to Judge Lindsey regarding the request.

“The defense team is working diligently on both the guilt/innocence and mitigation phases of this case. But, due to the complexities of the case as well as what we are attempting to develop, additional time is needed to properly work this case. Further complications exist due to the proximity of potential witnesses for the defense.”

Defense attorney Gregg E. Parrish, letter to court accompanying motion for continuance, March 29

Parrish said that he does not anticipate any objection from the state to a continuance. He added that he believes that the victim’s mother travels to Fayetteville from out of state for court appearances, and he wanted to provide the option of saving her unnecessary travel if the motion is granted.

He said that the state has been forthcoming with discovery, but that includes numerous records involving cell phones, social media and witness statements. He noted that did not include additional records the defense is trying to acquire.

Jennings’ trial is currently set to begin on April 4. He has entered a not guilty plea to both charges.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/jen...rder-case/amp/

Trial delayed for man accused of killing missing woman in Fayetteville

Allison Castro was reported missing in September 2022, and Fayetteville police say her body has not been found

By 5 News Web Staff

BENTON COUNTY, Ark — A man accused of killing a woman in Fayetteville and disposing of her body will have his murder trial delayed after the defense filed a motion on Wednesday, Oct. 4.

Kacey Jennings's pretrial hearing was originally set for Oct. 9, 2023, but has been rescheduled for Feb. 15, 2024, after a judge granted a motion from Jennings's lawyers.

Jennings, 30, is accused of capital murder, abuse of a corpse, tampering with evidence, and theft after the Fayetteville Police Department (FPD) investigated the disappearance of Allison Maria Castro and concluded that Jennings had killed and disposed of her body.

According to Sgt. Tony Murphy with FPD, on Sept. 19, 2022, officers responded to a home in Fayetteville where they reportedly found Jennings experiencing a drug overdose. While investigating, officers found that family members were concerned about Castro's welfare. Castro and Jennings were previously in a relationship and lived together.

Sgt. Murphy said that after not hearing from Castro, officers reported her missing the same day and started looking into "exactly what occurred." Evidence led officers to believe that Jennings killed Castro and disposed of her body, and a week later, Jennings was arrested for first-degree murder and disposing of a body.

Since his initial arrest, Jennings' charges have been amended to capital murder, disposing of a body, tampering with evidence, and theft.

According to court documents, the state is pursuing the death penalty in this case.

The pretrial hearing is now scheduled for Feb. 15, 2024, at 11 a.m.

https://www.5newsonline.com/article/...9-ff3fbdad8a80

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information