Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty Trial Set for Derick Irisha Brown in 2019 AL Abduction and Slaying of Kamille McKinney

1 year later: The kidnapping, murder of Kamille “Cupcake” McKinney

It’s been nearly 1 year since Kamille “Cupcake” McKinney was kidnapped from a birthday party in Birmingham.

The nation watched as this case unfolded and our community was forced to accept that something so awful could happen in our own neighborhoods.

“Kamille will live with this department until the end of time,” Birmingham Police Chief Patrick Smith said.

Smith said he had people working around the clock until Cupcake was found.

“There were officers and detectives on this department who just would not go home during that 10-day period,” Smith said.

It was in Tom Brown Village that Cupcake was kidnapped while she was at a birthday party. Soon after the news of her kidnapping, police established a command center just outside of the neighborhood to coordinate investigation efforts.

“Everyone held on to hope until the very last minute,” Smith said. “Everyone held onto hope that we’d be able to bring her home safely and reunite her with her family.”

“In my heart, I felt like we were going to find that baby,” Jasmaine Sanders Deloach said. “But unfortunately, there are some evil people in this world.”

Deloach helped in the search for Cupcake, working with the family in search efforts. She said when she found out what happened to Cupcake, she dropped to her knees in devastation.

10 days after Cupcake went missing, the 3-year-old’s remains were found in a dumpster in Jefferson County.

Patrick Stallworth and Derick Brown were arrested and charged with capital murder. If convicted, the 2 face the death penalty. A preliminary hearing has been held. The next step is presenting the case to a grand jury.

“It’s still yet to be scheduled because of COVID-19,” said District Attorney Danny Carr. “It has kind of impacted the time frame.”

State cases do not have a mandated timeline for sentencing. Stallworth and Brown are also facing federal kidnapping charges. Carr said if they are given the maximum federal sentencing of life without parole or death, the state would reassess how to proceed in its case.

As the family awaits sentencing hearings, Smith said this community will continue to stand behind them.

“We all feel the impact of her loss, and it’s all very devastating and heartbreaking to us,” Smith said.

(source: WIAT news)
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Suspects indicted in murder of Kamille “Cupcake” McKinney

By WBRC News Staff

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - Indictments have been handed down against the two suspects in the murder and kidnapping of 3-year-old Kamille “Cupcake” McKinney.

A Jefferson County grand jury in December indicted Patrick Stallworth and Derick Irisha Brown on capital murder of a child under the age of 14 and capital murder of a child during a kidnapping. Those are state charges.

Stallworth and Brown have also been indicted on one count of kidnapping and one count of conspiracy to kidnap a minor. Those are federal charges.

McKinney’s body was found in a dumpster at a local landfill in October of 2019.

She was kidnapped days before from the Tom Brown Village housing community.

If convicted, Stallworth and Brown could face the death penalty.

https://www.wbtv.com/2021/01/05/susp...cake-mckinney/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Suspects in deadly kidnapping of Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney will not face Federal Death Penalty

- By Carol Robinson, AL.com | March 17, 2022 -

Federal authorities won’t seek the death penalty in the 2019 deadly kidnapping of Kamille “Cupcake” McKinney.

Patrick Stallworth, 42, and Derick Irisha Brown, 31, were indicted federal of kidnapping and conspiracy to kidnap a minor.

The decision whether to seek the death penalty in federal court was up to the U.S. Attorney General, authorities said at the time of the pair’s federal indictment in 2020.

On Thursday, federal prosecutors filed notices that the U.S. will not seek the death penalty against Stallworth or Brown.

If convicted federally, they could face life in prison without the possibility of parole. A federal trial date has not been set.

Stallworth and Brown are also charged with capital murder in state court.

A state trial date has not yet been set, but Jefferson County prosecutors said they intend to seek the death penalty. A gag order in the state cases remains in effect.

Stallworth and Brown, who were in a dating relationship for about a year before their arrests, have since blamed each other for Kamille’s death.

The 3-year-old became a household name as a 10-day search for her gripped Birmingham and all of Alabama.

One minute, she was playing at a birthday party with other children. The next she was gone.

Kamille was abducted Oct. 12, 2019, while at a birthday party in Tom Brown Village. Kamille’s disappearance gripped the city for 10 days until her remains were found the night of Oct. 22 in a trash dumpster at a Jefferson County landfill.

An autopsy conducted by the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office showed Kamille had died of asphyxiation by suffocation. The exam also turned up toxic levels of methamphetamine and Trazodone. The levels of the drugs indicated Kamille had ingested the drugs, and not just been exposed to them.

Testimony from previous hearings showed investigators removed a plastic covering from a mattress that was in the living room where the couple lived in Center Point. That covering showed blood in several places and testing of that blood showed a mixture of DNA belonging to Stallworth, Brown and Kamille.

Brown said she saw Patrick Stallworth kneeling on the sofa in front of Kamille forcing the girl to perform oral sex on him. Stallworth told detectives that he walked into the couple’s apartment and saw his girlfriend sitting on the couch with Kamille and said, “That’s not your child.”

He said Brown indicated that she wanted to “keep” Kamille and then suggested Stallworth “do something sexual to the child.’’

More than 800 people attended Kamille’s funeral at New Beginnings Christian Ministry, with 400-plus more in an overflow. “This 3-year-old has Herculean powers,” former Birmingham Police Chief Patrick Smith had said. “She’s unified a city. She’s brought the city together.”

“I think she touched a cord within the city,’’ Smith said, “This was a “how dare you’ crime. How dare you touch our children. How dare you disrespect our community. I think that’s why it touched a chord.”

“Kamille Mckinney wasn’t someone famous or someone we all knew before Oct. 12, 2019. She was a sweet, caring 3-year-old girl,’’ First Assistant U.S. Attorney Lloyd Peeples previously said. “During the 10-day search for Kamille McKinney, we saw law enforcement and public safety organizations at their finest.”

https://www.al.com/news/2022/03/susp...h-penalty.html
    https://archive.ph/FTaGh

Federal dp is a waste of time at this point. I am pleased though to see the dp will be sought in state court.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Family and friends celebrate what would have been Kamille “Cupcake” McKinney’s 6th birthday

By Josh Gauntt

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) -The family of Kamille “Cupcake” McKinney keeping her memory alive by celebrating her birthday and remembering the good times.

April Thomas can’t help but smile when she think’s about her daughter.

“Very spunky attitude. She loved Peppa Pig. She was just a light. She had a smile that could light up a room,” Thomas said.

Friday would have been Cupcake’s 6th birthday. Family and friends gathering at Railroad Park wearing pink shirts. Pink was Cupcake’s favorite color. They also prayed and released balloons.

It was a moment to remember just how much the little girl was loved. “It’s a celebration..three years in heaven regardless of how tragic the situation is, we can’t celebrate the dark. We are going to always celebrate the beautiful light of her. She has to live through us. She might not be here physically, but she will always live through me and mines. We’re going to celebrate her every year,” Thomas said.

Three years ago, police say Cupcake was kidnapped during a birthday party at a Birmingham housing complex. The search went on for days and received national attention. Sadly, the search came to end when her body was found in a dumpster. Even though it’s still very difficult to talk about, her mother has a message for parents.

“Be aware of what’s always around your door and teach their kids not to accept no candy, nothing from anybody. It could have easily been anybody and you know my baby, she was took right out my cousin’s yard. That’s something I will never forget,” Thomas said.

Patrick Stallworth and Derick Brown are facing capital murder and kidnapping charges. Last month, federal prosecutors said they will not seek the death penalty against the two suspects. However, the two could face the death penalty in state court. They have a pre-trial hearing in August.

https://www.fox10tv.com/2022/04/23/f...-6th-birthday/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Hearing looks ahead to first trial involving 2019 kidnapping, murder of Kamille “Cupcake” McKinney

By Jennifer Horton

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (WBRC) - The first trial involving the 2019 kidnapping and murder of Kamille “Cupcake” McKinney is scheduled in October 2022

Defendants Patrick Stallworth and Derick Brown will be tried first on federal kidnapping counts in individual trials this fall and later in state court for capital murder.

Stallworth appeared in federal court Monday, August 8, to determine whether the statements he made to Birmingham Police in October 2019 should be suppressed or kept from the jury.

Stallworth met with Birmingham Police five times over the course of the investigation.

Monday’s suppression hearing focused on Stallworth’s fourth meeting with Birmingham detectives on October 22, 2019. Defense attorney Derrick Collins argued his client’s rights were violated when he asked for an attorney and detectives continued to engage him.

The law requires police to end a conversation with a suspect if they invoke their right to an attorney.

Assistant United States Attorney Blake Milner refuted that allegation and played the video of Stallworth’s interaction with police during the hearing.

The recording shows Stallworth enter the interrogation room. Police remove his handcuffs and he becomes emotional, often inaudible. Birmingham Police Detective Jonathan Ross and his partner ask Stallworth to tell his side of the story, even encouraging him to do it for Cupcake. The video shows a picture of the child’s body lying on the interrogation room table.

Officers read Stallworth his Miranda rights and he declined to speak to police.

An officer handcuffs Stallworth reminding him he had a chance to tell his story. Stallworth continued to speak, making statements about the charges and McKinney. As officers were leaving the room Stallworth said, “Let’s talk”. He was read Miranda rights and signed a document to waive his right to an attorney. Stallworth then spoke to police for an hour.

The government argued Stallworth re-engaged police as they were leaving the room, which made the conversation legal.

Should the judge rule to suppress Stallworth’s statements to police, it’s unclear what impact that could have on his upcoming trial. A ruling is expected in the coming week.

https://www.wbrc.com/2022/08/08/hear...cake-mckinney/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney update: Marathon hearing discusses evidence in upcoming trial

By Jennifer Horton
    WBRC News

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - It’s been nearly three years since Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney was kidnapped and killed. The suspects, Patrick Stallworth and Derick Brown, are edging closer to their first trials. Both are charged with capital murder in state court and federal kidnapping counts. Both will first be tried separately in federal court then stand trial in state court where prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Thursday, September 22, 2022, Brown appeared in federal court for a seven-hour long hearing. The defense worked to keep some statements Brown made to Birmingham Police in the initial stages of the investigation from being used as evidence in her upcoming trial.

The defense argued Brown didn’t have the adequate mental capacity to decide whether to speak to police without attorneys present. Specifically, they want to suppress the answers given to police in two interviews with police without her attorneys.

The government showed video from numerous interviews with Brown and Birmingham Police officers to indicate Brown did understand her constitutional rights, which were read to her each time before an interview. The Birmingham Police Department also requires those who waive their right to an attorney to read and sign a form to acknowledge they understand their rights, which Brown did both times in question.

The government called BPD Sargent Talana Brown to testify about her numerous interactions with Brown over the course of the investigation. As a veteran on the force, Brown said she looks for cues that someone may not understand their constitutional rights or if they are under the influence of anything that could compromise decision-making skills. She testified that Brown didn’t raise those red flags.

The defense called Dr. Henry Griffin, Ph.D., a neuropsychologist who practices in Fultondale, Alabama.

Griffin testified that Brown had a lower IQ than 98 percent of the population, according to his clinical evaluation. His report cited Brown has a severely low working memory index, brain processing speed and verbal comprehension index. Brown scored higher in perceptive reasoning.

Given the results of the evaluation, Griffin doubted whether Brown fully understood her rights prior to speaking with police.

“She did not,” Griffin answered as to whether Brown was fully aware of what she agreed to in at least two instances. “Especially considering the waiver [Brown signed] is written at a twelfth grade reading level.” Brown didn’t attend school past the eleventh grade. Griffin said it would be challenging for Brown given her lack of academic background and learning deficiencies.

“There’s consistency among her scores that either indicate that she wasn’t trying at all, which I don’t believe was the case while working with her, or that it reflects her difficulties,” Griffin explained.

Griffin was heavily questioned by District Judge Scott Coogler regarding his clinical assessments, which at moments, was challenging.

“When you roll your eyes, that is not a good thing to do to me,” Coogler said. “I have to make this decision, this is not a game.”

The government pressed Griffin on his evaluation and why he didn’t believe Brown was fully aware of her rights while speaking with police. Assistant United States Attorney Blake Milner questioned Griffin’s notes, suggesting Brown was not forthcoming with him about whether she had custody of her children and who she lived with at the time of her arrest.

“You noted she was being sexually provocative,” AUSA Milner asked Griffin.

“She made statements of a blatant sexual nature that are not common in the evaluations that I do,” Griffin replied.

The government noted early in the hearing that they received late notice the defense would call an expert witness to testify in this suppression hearing. Prosecutors suggested they too may request another psychological evaluation prior to Brown’s trial, which is slated for November.

The judge is expected to rule on this issue in the coming weeks.

Stallworth was in court in August arguing to suppress statements he made to BPD, which was denied. His trial is scheduled for October.

https://www.wbrc.com/2022/09/22/kami...pcoming-trial/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Related:

Trial in deadly kidnapping of Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney set to begin today

By Carol Robinson
    AL.com

One of two suspects charged in the 2019 deadly kidnapping of Kamille "Cupcake" McKinney is expected to go on trial today in federal court in Birmingham.

Jury selection is set to begin this morning in the case against 42-year-old Patrick Stallworth.

He and Derick Irisha Brown, 32, are both charged federally with kidnapping and conspiracy to kidnap a minor.

Brown’s trial is set for Nov. 14 in federal court in Tuscaloosa.

Both are charged with capital murder in state court.

No state trial dates have yet been set, but state prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty.

The U.S. Department of Justice previously ruled it will not seek the death penalty in the federal charges.

Kamille was abducted Oct. 12, 2019, while at a birthday party in Tom Brown Village.

Kamille’s disappearance gripped the city for 10 days until her remains were found the night of Oct. 22 in a trash dumpster at a Jefferson County landfill.

An autopsy conducted by the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office showed Kamille had died of asphyxiation by suffocation.

The exam also turned up toxic levels of methamphetamine and the antidepressant Trazodone.

The levels of the drugs indicated Kamille had ingested the drugs, and not just been exposed to them.

Testimony from previous hearings showed investigators removed a plastic covering from a mattress that was in the living room where the couple lived in Center Point.

That covering showed blood in several places and testing of that blood showed a mixture of DNA belonging to Stallworth, Brown and Kamille.

Stallworth and Brown, who were in a dating relationship for about a year before their arrests, have since blamed each other for Kamille’s death.

Brown said she saw Patrick Stallworth kneeling on the sofa in front of Kamille forcing the girl to perform oral sex on him.

Stallworth told detectives that he walked into the couple’s apartment and saw his girlfriend sitting on the couch with Kamille and said, “That’s not your child.”

Stallworth said Brown indicated that she wanted to “keep” Kamille and then suggested Stallworth “do something sexual to the child.’’

Leading up to this week’s trial before Chief U.S. District Court Judge L. Scott Coogler, Stallworth’s attorney, Derrick Collins, contended his client’s rights were violated when investigators in 2019 continued to interview the suspect after he asked for an attorney.

Coogler denied the motion to suppress Stallworth’s statements, stating that Stallworth reengaged investigators after they had stopped questioning him.

The trial is expected to last at least a week.

More than 800 people attended Kamille’s funeral at New Beginnings Christian Ministry, with 400-plus more in an overflow.

“This 3-year-old has Herculean powers,” former Birmingham Police Chief Patrick Smith had said. “She’s unified a city. She’s brought the city together.”

“I think she touched a chord within the city,’’ Smith said, “This was a “how dare you’ crime. How dare you touch our children. How dare you disrespect our community. I think that’s why it touched a chord.”

“Kamille Mckinney wasn’t someone famous or someone we all knew before Oct. 12, 2019. She was a sweet, caring 3-year-old girl,’’ First Assistant U.S. Attorney Lloyd Peeples previously said.

“During the 10-day search for Kamille McKinney, we saw law enforcement and public safety organizations at their finest.”

https://www.al.com/news/2022/10/tria...gin-today.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Related:

‘It was an accident. That poor baby’s family,’ Man on trial in Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney’s kidnapping texted

By Carol Robinson
    AL.com

A text message sent by Patrick Stallworth just 10 days after the body of 3-year-old Kamille "Cupcake" McKinney's body was found in a Jefferson County landfill read, “I’m sorry I did this. It was an accident. That poor baby’s family.’’

Prosecutors in the federal kidnapping case against Stallworth on Monday said that text message, sent by Stallworth to one of his family member’s while he was locked up in the Jefferson County Jail, is just one piece of evidence they will use to prove that the suspect and girlfriend, Derick Irisha Brown, carried out the 2019 abduction that left Kamille dead.

Another piece of evidence, said Lloyd Peeples, chief of the U.S. Attorney’s Criminal Division, will be a statement Stallworth made to a nurse.

There will be data from Google and T-Mobile, as well as evidence taken from surveillance cameras, license plate readers and multiple witnesses, Peeples said.

“What’s this case about? Unfortunately, this case is not about 3-year-old Cupcake McKinney’s short but sweet life,’’ Peeples said in opening statements in the trial against Stallworth.

“This case is about finding justice for Kamille McKinney.”

Stallworth’s attorney, Derrick Collins, said his client is innocent and blamed the entire ordeal on Brown.

“She’s the author behind all of this,’’ Collins said in his opening remarks. “He’s professed to the world his innocence.”

Stallworth, 42, and Brown are both charged federally with kidnapping and conspiracy to kidnap a minor.

Brown’s trial is set for Nov. 14 in federal court in Tuscaloosa. The U.S. Department of Justice previously ruled it will not seek the death penalty in the federal charges.

Both still are charged with capital murder in state court. No state trial dates have yet been set.

The trial began Monday with jury selection.

A panel of 13 women and three men were seated to hear the case against Stallworth. Of those 16 jurors, four will serve as alternates.

Peeples delivered the opening statements on behalf of the six federal prosecutors on the case. Chief U.S. District Judge L. Scott Coogler is presiding over the trial.

Peeples started by telling the jury about Kamille, who he described as a loving little girl who enjoyed playing with her brother and cousin, watching Peppa Pig and playing with bubbles.

“All the things that you would expect from an innocent and sweet 3-year-old girl,’’ Peeples said.

“Unfortunately, we will not spend much time in this trial talking about Cupcake and the happy moments she shared with her family and friends,’’ the prosecutor said.

“We won’t do that because the United States has the burden of telling you the story about Cupcake’s worst day, her last day. We will have to tell you about the final hours of Cupcake’s life.”

Peeples talked about the massive law enforcement search for Kamille that ended when her body was found in a construction dumpster at the landfill.

That dumpster had been taken from an apartment complex next to Stallworth’s apartment building.

“Investigators at that landfill found the body of Kamille McKinney, which had been discarded in one of those dumpsters,’’ Peeples said. “Thrown away in the trash and left alone for 10 days.”

Peeples said the evidence will show that a search of Stallworth’s apartment turned up a mattress with a plastic cover on it. That mattress, he said, contained DNA from Stallworth, Brown and Kamille.

“We will also show you pictures from when Kamille’s body was found and of the autopsy on her body, pictures that no person should have to look at, pictures that Kamille’s mom still hasn’t even seen,’’ he said.

The prosecutor said they will also present evidence that when Kamille died, she had methamphetamine, Trazadone and Benadryl in her system.

And, Peeples said, the jury will hear statements made by Stallworth, who he said gave conflicting information during his five interviews with police.

After Kamille’s body was recovered, he said, Stallworth “admits to knowing things that only Cupcake’s kidnapper would know.”

In the defense’s opening statement, Collins told jurors that prosecutors have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Stallworth was involved in Kamille’s kidnapping.

“They can’t,’’ Collins said. “The government’s case has doubt all through it.”

“This man didn’t do what they’re alleging,’’ he said.

Collins said the blame for Kamille’s kidnapping falls on Brown, a mother of six who lost all of her children to the custody of DHR.

“She had gone without her children over a year,’’ he said, adding that Brown had begun to use drugs and had become violent.

Stallworth’s only mistakes, he said, were in loving Brown and lying to police.

“He lied to the police about seeing the child at the apartment,’’ Collins said.

He did so, he said, because he loved Brown.

Kamille’s mother was the first and only witness to take the stand Monday.

She described for the jury their activities that day at the football field, and later at her cousin’s house at Tom Brown Village.

She said she discovered Kamille was missing when she told her son – Amari – to get Kamille because it was time to leave.

“He came in panicky and said he couldn’t find her,’’ Thomas testified. “I found her shoes. I knew something was wrong.”

Thomas’s cousin called 911 while Thomas continued to look for Kamille.

“I felt sick to my stomach,’’ Thomas said. “Confused. Frustrated. I was just sick to my stomach.”

Testimony will resume Tuesday.

The trial is the latest chapter in an ordeal that began when Kamille was abducted Oct. 12, 2019, while at a birthday party in Tom Brown Village.

Kamille’s disappearance gripped the city for 10 days until her remains were found the night of Oct. 22 in a trash dumpster at a Jefferson County landfill.

An autopsy conducted by the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office showed Kamille had died of asphyxiation by suffocation.

The exam also turned up toxic levels of methamphetamine and antidepressant Trazodone. The levels of the drugs indicated Kamille had ingested the drugs, and not just been exposed to them.

Testimony from previous hearings showed investigators removed a plastic covering from a mattress that was in the living room where the couple lived in Center Point.

That covering showed blood in several places and testing of that blood showed a mixture of DNA belonging to Stallworth, Brown and Kamille.

On that Saturday, Kamille and her mother had spent the day at Kamille’s brother’s football game. Afterward, they went to Tom Brown Village to visit family.

There was a birthday party taking place there, and Kamille and brother joined in the festivities.

While the party was taking place, Peeples said, Stallworth and Brown drove their Toyota Sequoia to Tom Brown Village, where Stallworth gout out of the SUV, spoke to several children and offered them candy.

A short time later, Stallworth and Brown drove away, taking Kamille with them back to the couple’s apartment on Shadowood Circle.

Only Kamille’s shoes were left behind at Tom Brown Village which the girl’s mother would later find.

https://www.al.com/news/2022/10/it-w...ng-texted.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Related:

Defendant in Kamille McKinney’s deadly abduction offered kids candy, witnesses say: ‘Cupcake got in the car’

By Carol Robinson
    AL.com

Kamille "Cupcake" McKinney's cousin and best friend – 3-year-old Ava – provided family members with the first clue about what may have happened the night she disappeared from Tom Brown Village public housing community.

“Cupcake got in the car with that man. He took her to get candy at the store,’’ Ava told her mother. “I not want no candy.”

Shenita Long, Ava’s mother, testified in the second day of the federal kidnapping trial against Patrick Stallworth.

Long was one of at least nine witnesses to take the stand Tuesday, including a 14-year-old who said Stallworth, 42, approached her earlier that Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019, and offered her candy.

Other witnesses included a neighbor of Stallworth who said he had been confronted multiple times about offering candy to children in the Center Point apartment complex where he lived.

A woman also said she confronted Stallworth and his girlfriend, Derick Brown, because they were parked in front of her home where her own children usually played.

Evidence presented to the jury included a bloodstained plastic mattress covering taken from Stallworth and Brown’s apartment, as well as a store receipt showing Stallworth had bought $18.91 worth of candy from the Shell service station near Tom Brown Village.

Stallworth and Brown, 32, are both charged federally with kidnapping and conspiracy to kidnap a minor.

Brown’s trial is set for Nov. 14 in federal court in Tuscaloosa. The U.S. Department of Justice previously ruled it will not seek the death penalty in the federal charges.

Both still are charged with capital murder in state court. No state trial dates have yet been set.

Long, who is the cousin and best friend of Cupcake’s mother, April Thomas, said the children were outside playing at a birthday party in Tom Brown Village on Oct. 12, 2019, when Cupcake vanished.

Long said they first became aware Cupcake was missing when her brother, Amari, said he couldn’t find her when it was time to come.

“He ran back inside with a scream that you’ll never forget,’’ Long said. “We got up and down down the stairs.”

When Long got to her daughter, she asked if Ava had seen Cupcake. Ava told her she had left with a man.

“She looked lost, like she didn’t know what was going,’’ Long said of her daughter.

Friends and family, Long said, then launched an immediate search, going door-to-door and to nearby stores in search of the missing girl.

They searched anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes until they found Cupcake’s shoes at the rear of the complex. “That’s when we really knew something was wrong,’’ Long said. “It’s time to call the police. This is serious.”

FBI Special Agent Eric Salvadore, who investigates violent crimes against children, said authorities quickly got a description of a blue Toyota Sequoia as the possible suspect vehicle in Cupcake’s kidnapping.

The vehicle, investigators would learn, was registered to Brown and found the day after the abduction at the apartment complex on Shadowood Circle where the couple lived.

Salvadore said investigators used video surveillance to help compile a timeline of Stallworth’s whereabouts on the day of the abduction.

At 12:02 p.m. that Saturday, Stallworth was seen on video at the Shell Station on Messer Airport Highway where he bought the candy.

Stallworth’s lawyer, Birmingham attorney Derrick Collins, during cross examination, said that Stallworth bought a lot of candy because he was trying to quit smoking.

At 12:11 p.m., according to video evidence, the Toyota Sequoia was seen driving through Hayes K-8, which is on the east side of Tom Brown Village. That video showed the SUV traveling through the school area and, moments later, adolescent girls running away.

One of those girls testified Tuesday.

Now 14, she said she was 12 at the time and leaving cheerleading practice at Hayes when she was approached by the Sequoia. The man inside asked the girl if she knew someone, she said, and then asked her if she wanted some candy.

One of her friends, she said, told her to run and she did so. She described the ordeal as “weird.”

The girl was asked Tuesday if she saw that man in the courtroom. She stood up, looked around and said she did not see him.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Brittany Byrd then told the girl to look toward the front of the courtroom and at that point, the young witness got upset.

The judge told her she could nod if she recognized Stallworth and she nodded yes.

Stallworth’s appearance has changed dramatically since 2019. He is heavier and now wears glasses.

Under cross examination by Collins, the girl acknowledged that Stallworth did not ask her to get in his SUV.

Another witness, Shatanya Osborne, said about 6:30 p.m. Saturday, she spotted two people – Stallworth and Brown – parked outside her home where her children usually play.

Osborne said she went out and asked them why they were there. Brown told her that she was looking for someone, and also that she used to live in the townhome that Osborne now lived in.

Brown said that when she lived there, a lot of children used to play in the neighborhood and asked Osborne why there weren’t a lot of kids outside playing.

“It didn’t strike me as odd at the time,’’ Osborne said, but later added that Brown seemed unusually fascinated with children.

Of Stallworth, Osborne said, “The man never looked at me or said anything.”

Deborah Douglas, who lived in the apartment above Stallworth and Brown on Shadowood Circle, said she heard about Cupcake’s abduction and had seen photos released by police of the possible suspect vehicle.

Douglas thought she recognized it, and went outside on Sunday, Oct. 13, and spotted the Sequoia in the parking lot.

Normally, Douglas said, the SUV was parked forward but on that day it had been backed into a parking space in front of a burned-out building adjacent to their building.

Brown was in the vehicle. “She was looking nervous,’’ Douglas testified.

Under questioning by Collins, Douglas said she did not see Stallworth that Sunday.

Douglas called police to tell them the vehicle’s whereabouts.

She also testified that about a month earlier, Stallworth had offered candy to children in their apartment complex.

Asked if he had been confronted about that, Douglas said, “He had been confronted a couple of times. It made people uncomfortable.”

FBI Special Agent Jonathan Spaeth, who is based out of Missouri, is on the FBI’s Child Abduction Rapid Deployment team and was sent to Birmingham on Oct. 14, 2019, to join in the search for Cupcake.

He, along with several Birmingham police detectives, interviewed Stallworth who told them he and Brown were at Tom Brown Village so that Brown could talk to the father of her children. At that point, Brown did not have custody of any of her six kids.

Stallworth told investigators he got out of the SUV to walk around because he didn’t get along with the man Brown was going to talk to and he didn’t want to get into a fight with him.

While he was walking around, Stallworth said, he encountered what is believed to be Cupcake and Ava, and said they were playing with a mouse trap that contained a mouse.

Stallworth said he told the children, “Nah, don’t play with that,” and offered them some Now and Later candy, which again he said he had because he was trying to quit smoking.

That encounter was captured on the video surveillance system from a home that backs up to Tom Brown Village. The encounter took place at 8:02 p.m., which is when authorities believe Cupcake was abducted.

FBI Special Agent Kyle King said he was part of the team that carried out a search warrant at Stallworth and Brown’s apartment on Oct. 18 while the search for Cupcake was still ongoing.

They went to the apartment just after 6:30 p.m. and, once inside, spotted what appeared to be blood stains on the plastic covering two pink mattresses stacked in the apartment.

At that point, King said, they secured the apartment and requested the FBI’s Evidence Response Team.

Jurors saw photos of the apartment, both inside and outside. Those photos showed evidence markers placed in four spots on the plastic covering the top mattress, and at least eight locations on the bottom mattress.

One of the plastic coverings was held up in the courtroom for jurors to see.

Testimony will resume on Wednesday.

https://www.al.com/news/2022/10/defe...n-the-car.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information