Thread: Jamaica

Jamaica

Prosecutors to seek death penalty for men who beheaded mother and daughter

Jamaica’s top prosecutor has disclosed that she will be seeking the death penalty for the 5 men who are set to go on trial for allegedly beheading a St Catherine woman and her teen daughter in a double murder that stirred national outrage.

The disclosure came after Paula Llewellyn, director of public prosecutions, revealed that one of the accused killers, Kemar Riley, divulged “certain things” to a cellmate in what was “tantamount to a jailhouse confession”.

He was later pointed out to police investigators by the person to whom he made the confession, Llewellyn said.

Further, she revealed that the other four men gave video-recorded caution statements to detectives in the presence of their attorneys.

“We have served a death notice and it is a capital murder indictment we are using,” Llewellyn announced yesterday in the Home Circuit Court, where the 5 men were set to go on trial for the July 2011 killings.

CRIMINAL CHARGES

Riley and his co-accused, Sanja Ducally, Adrian Campbell, Roshane Goldson, and Fabian Smith, have been charged with two counts of murder for allegedly decapitating Charmaine Rattray, 40, and her 19-year-old daughter, Joyette Lynch, a past student of The Queen’s School, at their home in Lauriston, St Catherine.

Llewellyn, in outlining the allegations, said that on the night of July 20, 2011, the 5 accused were among a group of eight men armed with guns, machetes and knives who invaded the house where Rattray and Lynch lived.

“They were stabbed, chopped up, shot and then beheaded. Their bodies were found in the house and the heads were found in different locations,” she disclosed.

Anticipating that the men’s attorneys would seek to block the videotaped statements from being used in the trial, Llewellyn showed up for court armed with legal authorities to indicate why they should be included.

In the end, the attorneys agreed to allow the caution statements to be used.

The trial is set to start tomorrow after an 8-year delay.

(source: stabroeknews.com)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Don Wanted Heads - Prosecutors Release Details Of Confessions In Grisly Killings As Three Plead Guilty To Non-Capital Murder

By The Gleaner

A don gave the orders for a St Catherine woman and her teenage daughter to be decapitated because they were viewed as informers, according to the video-recorded confessions of three of the men convicted for the grisly crime.

Transcripts of the confessions were released by prosecutors yesterday after Fabian Smith, Adrian Campbell, and Rushane Goldson pleaded guilty to non-capital murder just before they were set to go on trial in the Home Circuit Court for the 2011 double killing that triggered national outrage.

Smith, who is also known as ‘Gubba’, recounted, in his caution statement to detectives, a telephone conversation he had with the don moments before he and eight of his cronies barged into the two-bedroom board house in which Charmaine Cover-Rattray, 40, and her 18-year-old daughter, Joeith Lynch, were asleep on the night of July 20, 2011.

“Kill Crystal and her modda, shoot up [name withheld] house, and mek dem run weh and kill [name also withheld]. Him sey four people fi dead, four a dem head fi cut off, and him sey, ‘Mek sure unnu deal wid di thing’,” Smith disclosed, using Lynch’s pet name.

The convicted killer revealed that Cover-Rattray twice shouted, “The blood of Jesus is against you! before she was chopped repeatedly with a machete and shot four times. He said Lynch, a past student of The Queen’s School, pleaded for her life, saying, “Me no know nutten,” before she, too, was chopped repeatedly and shot.

“Me hear the lass (cutlass) dem start swing and har madda a plea the blood of Jesus and Crystal a scream out. Den me hear about six shots,” Smith recounted for detectives, using Lynch’s pet name.

The convicted killer admitted that he saw his cronies exit the house and immediately questioned, “Weh di head dem deh?”

He said that one of his accomplices went back inside the house “an me hear the lass start swing again.

“Me see [name withheld] come out wid one a di head and [name withheld] come out wid the next one,” he recounted.

Campbell admitted, in his videotaped statement, that he took up one of the heads, believed to be Lynch’s, and held it “by the hair” as they fled the house. “[Name withheld] said to me that the head is bleeding too much, I must throw it away. I throw the head in a gully,” he told detectives.

“Either I was involved or I would be killed. Is not something that I wishfully wanted to take part of ( sic). I know I was dealing with some serious people. It was either I go or I die,” he said.

According to prosecutors Paula Llewellyn and Hodine Williams, a post-mortem revealed that Cover-Rattray was shot six times all over her body and chopped eight times.

“The bones in the neck were severed and the margins of the wounds were smooth and uniform. The cause of death was due to traumatic shock and multiple gunshot wounds to the abdomen and the neck, with multiple chop wounds,” Llewellyn disclosed.

For Lynch, the postmortem revealed that she died from traumatic shock and multiple chop wounds. Prosecutors say it appeared that both women had died before they were decapitated.

Cover-Rattray and Lynch were killed a day after Scott Thomas, a reputed gangster, was also beheaded in their community of Lauriston.

Campbell said he was told that the women were targeted “because dem talk too much”.

The three convicted killers are scheduled to be sentenced on December 11. Prosecutors announced that they would not be seeking the death penalty for Sanjay Ducally and Kemar Riley, the other two men charged for killing the women.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...essions-grisly
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

DPP to seek death penalty against accused in Clarendon family killing

By Alicia Dunkley-Willis
    The Gleaner

KINGSTON, Jamaica – The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions is to seek the death penalty against Rushane Barnett, the man accused of killing a mother and her four children in Cocoa Piece, Clarendon last week.

Barnett had the notice served on him when he appeared before Justice Leighton Pusey in the Supreme Court on Tuesday. He is yet to secure legal representation.

Barnett of Wilson’s Run, Trelawny and Papine in St Andrew has been charged with five counts of murder.

The bodies of 31-year-old Kimesha Wright, a practical nursing student; 15-year-old Kimanda Smith; 11-year-old Shara-Lee Smith, and five-year-old Rafaella Smith and 23- month- old Kishawn Henry, all of New Road, Cocoa Piece, Chapelton district in Clarendon, were discovered inside their home with chop wounds and their throats slashed on Tuesday, June 21.

Barnett reportedly fled the area to Wilson Run in Trelawny, where he was apprehended.

He was charged based on a caution statement he gave to the police.

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/late...amily-killing/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Legislative changes to be made to indicate that death penalty will be applied, in cases of capital murder

By Clement Reid
    iriefm.net

Legislative changes are to be made to indicate clearly that the punishment for capital murder is the death penalty and where this is not applied, then the sentence will be life imprisonment, without parole.

Prime minister Andrew Holness says amendments to the Offences Against the Person Act, will make it clear to criminals, that they will not have the possibility of being released early.

Mr Holness says, persons who commit non-capital murder, will have to serve up to 45 years in prison, before being eligible for parole.

https://www.iriefm.net/legislative-c...apital-murder/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

State eyes death penalty for accused held for rape, murder of 9-y-o

By The Gleaner

WESTERN BUREAU:

THE STATE will be seeking the death penalty in its case against Omar Green, the Hanover man charged for the alleged rape and murder of nine-year-old Nikita Noel in Esher, Hanover, on February 1.

On Tuesday, the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) revealed that it would be proceeding with a voluntary bill of indictment to seek the death penalty against Green, pursuant to Section 3 (1) of the Offences against the Person Act.

According to reports from the Hanover police, on February 1, Nikita was reported missing by her mother after she did not return home from the Esher Primary School. A search was launched, and her body was found in proximity to her home in Kew district, a section of Esher.

A post-mortem revealed that the child was raped and then strangled.

Further investigations led to the arrest and charge of Green, who was reportedly involved in a contentious relationship with the child’s mother.

PSYCHIATRIC EVALUATION

When Green appeared in the Hanover Circuit Court on Tuesday, presiding High Court Judge Courtney Daye ordered that the accused undergo forensic psychiatric evaluation.

He has been remanded until his next court appearance on July 3.

“Having carefully considered the allegations as disclosed within the evidentiary material gathered so far, the law, and the public interest, entered a nolle prosequi in the Hanover Parish Court earlier today, thereby discontinuing the matter in the said parish court and shortly thereafter, preferring a voluntary bill of incitement against Mr Green in the Hanover Circuit Court,” the ODPP noted in a release.

“In addition to taking this step, Crown Counsel, on my instructions, also filed a death penalty notice in the Hanover Circuit Court and a copy of this notice was served on the accused man, when he made his appearance today in court,” it continued.

The release added that the provisions of Section 3(1) of the Offences Against the Person Act state that “every person who falls within Section 3 (1A) shall be sentenced to imprisonment for life or to death. As it concerns Section 3 (1A) the provisions include persons who are convicted for murder in the course or furtherance of rape”.

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...e-murder-9-y-o

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information