Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Death Penalty Trial Set for Wade Steven Wilson in 2019 FL Slaying of Kristine Melton and Diane Ruiz

Wade Wilson will stand trial in October, faces death penalty

By Paul Dolan
    Wink News

Wade Wilson, accused of killing two Lee County women in 2019, will stand trial on October 18, according to the Lee County Clerk’s website.

According to reports, Wilson faces the death penalty for the suspected killings of Kristine Melton and Diane Ruiz in Cape Coral. Investigators found Melton’s body in her Cape Coral home and four days later found Ruiz dead in a field.

https://www.winknews.com/2022/05/17/...death-penalty/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

New details about the 2019 killings of two women in Cape Coral

By Emma Heaton and Matthew Seaver
    Wink News

The man accused of brutally murdering two women in Cape Coral in 2019 is facing the death penalty, and now we are learning what witnesses in the case against him are saying.

Wade Wilson, 28, is accused of killing Kristine Melton and Diane Ruiz in Cape Coral just days apart in 2019. Investigators found Melton’s body in her Cape Coral home and four days later found they found Ruiz dead in a field.

Court documents outlining the deposition of witnesses in the case revealed new details about what happened and how Wilson was caught.

Ryan Gentile told defense attorneys that in October 2019, he was leaving for work, but when he went outside to get in his car, he noticed something strange.

Gentile said to the left of his Cape Coral home, he saw Wilson getting into a car and pulling away from inside the bushes. The car had a branch stuck in the fender.

Gentile called the police, and the next thing he knew, five or six officers were asking him all kinds of questions. He had no idea that what he witnessed was part of a brutal murder.

WINK News spoke with Ruiz’s fiance, Scott Hannon, in 2019, the year the love of his life was killed.

“That monster was the last one to talk to her. If I could say anything to him. Just ‘I hope you rot in hell,'” said Hannon.

Authorities found Ruiz in the Cape Coral field the day Gentile called about the suspicious activity, which was four days after her 2019 murder.

One of the friends of the victims spoke in the depositions. They had been friends since high school. They had plans to go out and have a fun night, but it turned out to be quite the opposite of a good time.

The victim’s friend told attorneys there were no warning signs of what would happen.

The deposition lays out never before seen details of the moments leading up to the murder of 35-year-old Kristine Melton.

“Securing a successful prosecution. And ultimately, a conviction, in this case, is paramount. A hastily conducted investigation simply for the sake of speed, where steps could be missed, benefits no one,” said Cape Coral police in 2019.

Cape police investigated the 2019 killing. Wilson is accused of the brutal murder of two Cape women.

While he awaits trial, defense and state attorneys got to questioning witnesses. In this deposition, we hear from Melton’s friend, whose name is blacked out.

She tells attorneys that she was with Melton and Wilson just hours​ before her friend’s murder. She said they “planned to go out and have drinks together and took an Uber to the Buddha in Fort Myers.”

That’s where they met Wilson and his friend. All four stayed until the bar closed. Throughout the night, Melton’s friend recalls seeing Wilson “Doing lines of cocaine and drinking,” but she “didn’t think anything suspicious of it.”

Eventually, the witness, Williams, and Melton returned to Melton’s home and spent some time there before the witness had to go to work, leaving the two alone.

That was the last time she saw her friend alive.

The witness said in questioning that she tried to text Melton but heard nothing back. Police called her later that day and told her they found someone dead at the residence.

Wilson has pled not guilty, but his father told attorneys that Wilson admitted to every horrific detail from beginning to end.

In the deposition report, Wilson admits to two murders. Wilson called his father three times on October 7, 2019. The same day he was arrested.

“He called me in the afternoon. Early afternoon in a panic.” Wilson’s father told him to call back at dinner, assuming it was another occasion where Wilson would ask for help, like in need of a hotel or for money.

The witness said his son had already been to prison once and was a suffering drug addict.

Wilson called a second time at dinner and said he needed help getting out of Fort Myers, saying he did something he couldn’t take back, and people weren’t coming back from that.

Late that night, Wilson called his dad a third time. His dad said he needed to know what was going on. Wilson told him everything in detail.

“He said that he went to some bar. Met a girl. And went home with her. That they hung out for a while. Went to sleep. And he got on top of her. And choked her until she died,” Wilson’s dad told investigators. “He said that he stayed in the house through the night, and he took her body and rolled it up in a rug. He was going to try and put her in her car, but she was too heavy, so he left the scene.”

Wilson left in the victim’s car. Hours later, he told his dad he was “Driving down the road and saw a lady walking. She asked for directions. He stopped, and she got in the car. He reached over with one hand as he was driving and choked her.”

Wilson’s dad told investigators, “He thought she was dead and pulled into some woods where was going to put her body,” but said when he pulled her out of the car, Wilson realized she was still alive.

Wilson’s father states, “He said to me that he got back in the car, and he ran her over like spaghetti. Got out and moved her to the woods after that.”

Wilson’s stepmother had been listening to the entire call. They told a detective what was happening and gave them Wilson’s location.

Authorities arrested Wilson. Wilson’s dad said in the deposition that he asked his son why he did it, and Wilson replied, “I don’t know, dad. I don’t know why I did it. I just wanted to do it.”

https://www.winknews.com/2022/12/21/...in-cape-coral/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Wade Wilson asks for witness transcripts in slaying trial of Cape women

Wade Wilson returns to court Jan. 3 in two Cape Coral murder cases

By Tomas Rodriguez
    Fort Myers News-Press

A Fort Myers man accused of killing two Cape Coral women in 2019 filed a motion through his attorney seeking the transcription of the witnesses' recorded statements in his case.

Wade Wilson, 25, was charged in November 2019 in the deaths of two Cape Coral women, Kristine Melton, 35, and Diane Ruiz, 43.

The motion, filed Dec. 14 by Wilson's attorney David Joffe, sought the recorded statements from 10 witnesses in the case, court records indicate. The depositions are dated Oct. 20.

The motion claims the transcripts are essential to preparing any pre-trial motions and the case for trial.

Assistant State Attorney Andreas Gardiner signed off Dec. 15 on the release of nearly 1,600 pages, including three 911 calls; audio files; phone records; photos; and videos.

Melton and Ruiz were killed within days of each other in October. Melton was found dead in her home; Ruiz’s body was found in a field days after her disappearance.

A Lee County grand jury indicted Wilson on two counts of first-degree murder, along with charges of battery; grand theft of a motor vehicle; burglary of a dwelling; and petty theft. Prosecutors at the time signaled they are seeking the death penalty against Wilson, who remains in the Lee County jail without bond.

Wilson grew up in Tallahassee and has a history of arrests in Leon County dating back to 2012 on charges of sexual assault; burglary; child cruelty; and firearms offenses, according to court records.

He's also been accused of kidnapping and sexual assault by women in Lee and Palm Beach counties.

In October 2020, Wilson, along with a man accused in a domestic violence case, was thwarted in a bid to escape Lee County Jail.

Court records indicate Wilson has a Jan. 3 motions hearing before Lee Circuit Judge Robert Branning, followed by a Jan. 20 pre-trial conference before Lee Circuit Judge Nicholas Thompon.

https://www.news-press.com/story/new...n/69757372007/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Accused killer Wade Wilson speaks from jail about murder case & alleged Lee County crime organization

By Kyla Galer
    NBC2 News

LEE COUNTY, Fla. — A man accused of brutally murdering two Cape Coral women has been writing to NBC2 for months. Wade Wilson has been in jail since 2019, awaiting trial for the murders of Kristine Melton and Diane Ruiz.

Through dozens of letters, Wilson made some wild accusations: from claiming his innocence to a conspiracy that reaches the depths of Lee County institutions.

For the first time ever, he’s talking about it all on-camera with NBC2 from his jail cell.

“Did you kill Kristine Melton and Diane Ruiz?” NBC2’s Kyla Galer asked.

“No. Absolutely not,” Wilson said.

No surprise there, considering he pleaded not guilty.

Wilson seemed confident, even smug at times while sporting his orange jumpsuit and a more sinister appearance since he was first charged with murder more than three years ago.

"I’m not a monster. I’m not a saint either by any means. I’ve made bad decisions in the past, of course. Everybody has,” Wilson said.

While Wilson is accused of taking two lives, he claims to have tipped off investigators about a plot to kill another woman while he was behind bars.

According to an arrest report, late last year Tristan Gendron asked Wilson to help kill the mother of his child so his domestic abuse charges would be dropped.

Wilson couldn’t do it himself, he was in jail, but Gendron asked if “his crew” on the outside could.

“He just thought that I was the person to ask for that,” Wilson said.

NBC2 obtained a copy of the note Gendron wrote Wilson in jail with details of the hit job. It came with a $200,000 payout. Gendron said the money was in a safe at Gendron’s Funeral & Cremation Services in Fort Myers and provided security codes.

“People would accept $10,000, $200,000? Surely. But I’m not that type of person,” Wilson said.

Instead, he reported it to the State Attorney’s Office and became a sworn witness, despite not knowing the victim.

"I don’t know her personally whatsoever from a can of paint, but it doesn’t matter…she’s a person,” Wilson said.

Investigators later found out there was a safe at the funeral home with cash inside. And those security codes in the note were accurate.

The funeral director said the murder-for-hire charges against Gendron are, “B.S.”

As you might imagine, anyone tied to Wilson isn’t keen on talking. The State Attorney’s Office can’t. It’s not clear — all the evidence it has against Wilson, but it’s enough for prosecutors to go for the death penalty.

“It doesn’t worry me. It worries me only because of the corruption, the level of corruption around here in Fort Myers that I was involved with,” Wilson said.

Some of that evidence may include a confession, which Wilson said he was forced to make after he was charged.

“When coming to jail I knew that I had to get something out there as far as a confession because I was told to do that otherwise my parents were going to be harmed, my children were going to be harmed,” Wilson said.

Wilson’s own father spoke on the record. He told investigators Wilson called him after spending the night with Melton asking for help. She was a server at a Cape Coral bar.

Wilson’s father said his son admitted to strangling Melton while she was sleeping, then rolled her up in a carpet.

He does admit, he met her at a bar the night before she was found dead and slept at her house. But claims she was alive when he left in her car.

He told his dad he then picked up a lady, asked for directions, then choked her and ran her over so many times, “he made her look like spaghetti.”

“I was forced. That wasn’t a call that I willingly wanted to make,” Wilson said.

Investigators say that other woman was a mother of two, Diane Ruiz.

“As far as Diane Ruiz, I never ran across her, never seen her. There’s nothing that will say otherwise than that,” Wilson said.

Wilson only briefly mentions Ruiz and Melton in his letters. Never giving these women the dignity of saying their names, just that he was set up.

He talks more often about a high-profile case of another Cape Coral woman, Lauren Dumolo. She hasn’t been seen since June of 2020.

Wilson claims it’s all part of a conspiracy being covered up, one that he’s trying to expose.

He said he was recruited from Key West to be part of a crime organization in Lee County.

“A lot of things we were doing from Key West to Fort Myers including the human trafficking and various other things: prostitution with the women, drug trafficking,” Wilson said.

Wilson said some of the prostitution was happening at a local spa and he claims he can prove there was nefarious activity happening there.

“Cell phone records will show, text messages will prove and these are things that my lawyers already have,” Wilson said.

When Galer called Wilson’s lawyer, he wouldn’t answer any questions.

NBC2 is not sharing the name or location of the spa. Wilson claims Dumolo has ties there. He also said high-profile people used the spa and some of the people involved in the alleged crime ring are testifying against him in his murder trial.

“I am the loose end that is so easily just x-ed out,” Wilson said.

Wilson admits he is trying to save his life. But it will be up to a jury to figure out fact from fiction.

“Are you just trying to discredit the people who are testifying against you at trial?” Galer asked.

“Absolutely not, no. I’m just trying to tell the truth,” Wilson said.

Overall, it appeared Wilson is trying to bring up these topics to save his own skin.

He mentioned former Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott a number of times and claimed he was part of certain cover-ups. Scott told Galer over the phone that Wilson’s allegations are outlandish and not true.

As for the alleged crime ring, Fort Myers Police told NBC2 they haven’t found anything regarding human trafficking.

Officer Brandon Sancho with Cape Coral Police (CCPD) said the Lee County Sheriff’s Office (LCSO) and the State Attorney’s Office are aware of Wilson’s claims, but CCPD is not looking into it because it didn’t happen within their jurisdiction.

A spokesperson with LCSO said they couldn’t answer NBC2’s questions.

As far as Wilson’s claims about Lauren Dumolo, Officer Sancho said they don’t think there’s any connection between the two because Wilson was incarcerated before Dumolo disappeared.

https://nbc-2.com/news/crime/2023/04...-organization/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Wade Wilson, imprisoned on murder charges, involved in new scheme, LCSO says

By Tomas Rodriguez
    Fort Myers News-Press

A Fort Myers man jailed on two first-degree murders is claiming his innocence after authorities said he was recently involved in a drug smuggling scheme.

It is at least the second time Wade Wilson, 29, has faced additional charges since his first incarceration at Lee County Jail for the 2019 murders.

According to an arrest report from the Lee County Sheriff’s Office, a K9 sniffed around 6 a.m. on April 20 in the open outside Lee County’s Main Penitentiary, Martin Luther King J. Blvd. 2115, due to narcotics allegedly placed there.

The K9 identified narcotics near an area where landscape rocks have been laid, the report said. Authorities recovered a gray shopping bag containing two Ziploc bags.

Each bag contained loose cigarettes, suspected narcotics, lighters and pills. Both bags tested positive for methamphetamine.

An anonymous detainee reported that the narcotics were brought by 35-year-old Bobby Hitchman, a trusted inmate, the report said.

According to the arrest report, Hitchman supplied the narcotics to another trusted inmate, Daniel Mulcahey, 38, who then divided them between Wilson and a second inmate, Edmilson Martins, 34, according to the report.

Prison call logs showed that Wilson had discussed narcotics with Bonnie Wiggins, 29.

Then, on April 20, detectives found a handwritten note in the laundry room, indicating a location where the drugs had been dropped, the report said.

The sheriff’s office then turned to security footage near the courthouse, which showed a car pulling up in front of the reception area.

As the investigation continued, on April 26, Wilson called Wiggins again, this time using another inmate’s PIN, in an attempt to “throw off” the tapping of his calls.

On April 29, the sheriff’s office sent undercover detectives to the jail and to Wiggins’ home.

As deputies lined up at the house, a man, later identified as Devilin Dewitt, 27, picked up Wiggins and drove to the RaceTrac, 16900 N. Cleveland Ave.

At the gas station, two others, later identified as Antonio Deltoro, 29, and Tamara Paul, 31, approached. All four stayed at the gas station for about three hours and later drove to the reception area of ​​the prison, the report said.

Hitchman and Martins, as well as Wiggins, Dewitt, Deltoro and Paul were all arrested on drug charges.

Extra costs since incarceration

In October 2020, Wilson, along with a man charged with a domestic violence case, was thwarted in an attempt to escape from the Lee County Jail.

Wilson and his cellmate at the time, Joseph Katz, 33, were both involved, authorities said.

When their approximately 10-by-10-foot cell was checked, the single window in the unit showed signs of tampering with the metal frame that held it and the thick safety glass window had several cracks in it.

The Sheriff’s Office report said that Wilson was the primary planner and instigator of the attempt and that Katz could not have been ignorant of the attempt or participated in it. Both men declined to make a statement to deputies after discovering the tampered window.

Wilson had already been charged with 12 charges, including the murders of Diane Ruiz and Kristine Melton in Cape Coral.

Wilson also faces the death penalty for each of the two victims and was indicted by a Lee County Grand Jury in November 2019. He has been in Lee County Jail since October 2019.

Wilson is due to appear in court on June 14 for a hearing in all three cases, followed by a case management conference on July 13.

https://thebharatexpressnews.com/wad...eme-lcso-says/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

New attorney representing Wade Wilson, man accused of killing 2 Cape Coral women

By Carolina Guzman and Joey Pellegrino
    Wink News

Wade Wilson, the man accused of killing two Cape Coral women in 2019, now has a new attorney after putting in a request for it on Thursday.

On Thursday morning, Wilson claimed that he needs a new attorney because he currently has ineffective counsel.

The judge appointed Lee Hollander to be Wilson’s new attorney.

Wilson is accused of murdering Kristine Melton and Diane Ruiz in Cape Coral. He faces the death penalty.

His next court date is August 17.

https://winknews.com/2023/07/13/wade-wilson-in-court/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Wade Wilson, who faces capital murder in 2019 homicides, challenges legislation

Wilson was indicted by a Lee County grand jury in November 2019. He has been incarcerated in Lee County since October 2019.

Tomas Rodriguez
    Fort Myers News-Press

A Fort Myers man facing a possible death penalty for the 2019 deaths of two women seeks separate trials, while claiming updated guidelines in capital murder trials don't apply in his case.

Wade Wilson, 29, is charged with the first-degree murder of Kristine Melton, 35; grand theft of Melton's car; battery on Melissa Montanez, 41; first-degree murder of Diane Ruiz, 43; burglary of a dwelling belonging to Kent Amlin or Fannie Amlin; and petty theft from Kent Amlin or Fannie Amlin.

Melton and Ruiz were killed within days of each other in October 2019. Melton was found dead in her home; Ruiz’s body was found in a field days after her disappearance.

Wilson was indicted by a Lee County grand jury in November 2019. He has been in Lee County Jail since October 2019.

The first of the two recent motions, filed Jan. 10 by Wilson's attorney, Lee Hollander, claims no evidence exists to link the two charges related to Melton with the other four counts.

Separately, on Jan. 11, Wilson, through Hollander, filed a motion that seeks to disqualify him from a potential death sentence under a recent change in legislation, which allows juries to recommend death in an 8-4 vote.

Before the bill took effect April 20, 2023, all 12 jurors had to unanimously find at least one death-penalty aggravating factor existed during deliberations in the guilt phase of the trial. Lee Circuit Judge Nicholas Thompson hasn't yet ruled on the motion, court records show.

He's at least the second Lee County inmate facing capital murder to challenge the newer legislation in recent weeks.

Lee Circuit Judge Bruce Kyle on Sunday ruled that Nicholas Canfield, 28, whose trial began Monday with jury selection and faces one count of capital first-degree murder; one count of sexual battery on a child younger than 12; and three counts of aggravated child abuse, remains eligible for the capital punishment.

As for Wilson, he has at least twice faced additional charges since his initial incarceration at the Lee County Jail for the 2019 homicides. In April of last year, he faced charges in a narcotics scheme.

More than two years prior, in October 2020, Wilson, along with a man accused in a domestic violence case, was thwarted in a bid to escape Lee County Jail.

Wilson and his cellmate at the time, Joseph Katz, 33, were both involved, authorities said.

When their roughly 10-foot-by-10-foot cell was checked, the only window in the unit showed signs of tampering with the metal frame holding the window removed and the thick security glass window showing several cracks in it.

The sheriff's office report said Wilson was the primary planner and instigator of the attempt and that Katz could not have been ignorant of the attempt or not have taken part in it. Both men refused to make a statement to deputies after discovery of the tampered window.

Wilson is next due in court Feb. 14 for a motions hearing, where a tentative trial date could be discussed.

https://www.news-press.com/story/new...s/72408124007/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

State opposes separate trials for man accused of 2019 Cape Coral murders

Wade Wilson was indicted by a Lee County grand jury in November 2019. He has been in Lee County Jail since October 2019

By Tomas Rodriguez
    Fort Myers News-Press

State prosecutors oppose a motion seeking separate trials filed by a Fort Myers man facing capital murder charges in the 2019 deaths of two Cape Coral women.

Wade Wilson, 29, is charged with the first-degree murder of Kristine Melton, 35; grand theft of Melton's car; battery on Melissa Montanez, 41; first-degree murder of Diane Ruiz, 43; burglary of a dwelling belonging to Kent Amlin or Fannie Amlin; and petty theft from Kent Amlin or Fannie Amlin.

Melton and Ruiz were killed within days of each other in October 2019. Melton was found dead in her home; Ruiz’s body was found in a field days after her disappearance.

Wilson was indicted by a Lee County grand jury in November 2019. He has been in Lee County Jail since October 2019.

A motion filed Jan. 10 by Wilson's attorney, Lee Hollander, claims no evidence exists to link the two charges related to Melton with the other four counts.

Hollander told The News-Press separate trials wouldn't spare Wilson from capital punishment if he is convicted in the murders. He said he expects Lee Circuit Judge Nicholas Thompson will rule on the motion during a March 12 motions hearing.

Thompson hadn't ruled on the motion by Friday morning, court records show.

The state's response, filed Tuesday by Assistant State Attorney Andreas Gardiner, says the six counts Wilson faces are "inseparable or inextricably intertwined acts."

"As such, they are admissible because they are necessary to adequately describe the charged crimes, provide an intelligent account of the charged crimes, establish the context out of which the charged crimes arose, or adequately describe events leading up to the charged crimes," the state's response reads in part.

The state said that on Oct. 7, 2019, Wilson stole Melton's car after her killing and proceeded to visit Montanez in Melton’s car and use Melton’s cellphone to contact Montanez.

After Wilson attacked Montanez, Gardiner said, he fled in Melton's car and encountered Ruiz in Cape Coral, where he killed her and repeatedly drove over her body using Melton's car.

Wilson then entered a nearby business, where he confessed the homicides to an acquaintance. When the acquaintance dialed 911, Wilson fled on foot and broke into a nearby home, leading to the latter two of the six charges.

Authorities found Ruiz's body inside Melton's car, along with both their cellphones, according to court documents.

In the state's response, Gardiner said keeping the six counts together link Wilson to the murders; Melton's car; Melton's and Ruiz's cellphones; explain his possession of the items; provide a geographical nexus for each offense; and establish context to piece the offenses together.

Wilson is next due in court March 12 for a motions hearing and April 29 for a trial call.

https://www.news-press.com/story/news/crime/2024/02/23/state-says-charges-against-wade-wilson-in-2019-murders-are-inseparable/72703596007/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information