Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LaJeromeny Latez Brown - Alabama Death Row

LaJeromeny Latez Brown - Alabama Death Row

Huntsville police officer shot, killed while intercepting drug deal

By WAFF 48 Digital News Staff

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WAFF) - Huntsville police confirm the officer who was shot in the area of Levert Street and Oakwood Avenue has died.

It happened when officers and STAC agents went to intercept a drug deal they were tipped off about. Police say when the suspect arrived and saw officers he immediately fired then ran away.

Police returned fire but did not hit the suspect, who was taken into custody a block away.

The officer was taken to Huntsville Hospital in critical condition where he died. Police have not yet formally released his name.

The officer is part of the STAC team who was with the department around 20 years.

Police say the suspect is known to officers. His name and charges have not yet been released.

https://www.waff.com/2019/12/06/offi...th-huntsville/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Huntsville police name fallen officer, capital murder suspect

By WAFF 48 Digital News Staff

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WAFF) - Huntsville police have released more information about the fatal shooting of their officer.

Police identified their fallen officer as STAC officer Billy Clardy III. He was killed while working a drug investigation in north Huntsville.

Police Chief Mark McMurray, Mayor Tommy Battle, Madison County Sheirff Kevin Turner and U.S. Attorney Jay E. Town spoke about Clardy’s dedication and service. The emotion in their voice was clear as they spoke of their fellow lawman and friend.

They praised the veteran officer as an exceptional lawman with too many career accomplishments to name. He started his career as a patrol officer in north Huntsville before becoming a community relations officer. He was later part of HPD’s first anti-crime team and then became a STAC agent.

Clardy is survived by a wife and children. He is also the son of fallen officer Billy Fred Clardy Jr. who was killed in the line of duty with the Huntsville Police Department on May 3, 1978.

https://www.wbrc.com/2019/12/07/hunt...urder-suspect/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Here is why 'worst of the worst suspect' was out of jail at time of AL officer shooting

Lajeromeny Brown, who is originally from Chattanooga, sits in an Alabama jail cell charged with murdering Huntsville Police Officer Billy Clardy III

By Michelle Heron

WRCBTV.com

The mother of the man accused of killing an Alabama police officer is coming to her son's defense.

Lajeromeny Brown, who is originally from Chattanooga, sits in an Alabama jail cell charged with murdering Huntsville police officer Billy Clardy III.

Records show Brown has a lengthy criminal history in Chattanooga, with charges including attempted murder, impersonating a police officer and distributing cocaine but plea deals and good behavior point to the reason why he was out of prison at the time of the shooting in Huntsville.

Records show Brown's criminal history in Hamilton County dates back to 1996 with more than 25 arrests.

In 2013, federal agents called the then 35-year-old a "major player" in Chattanooga's drug trade after a round up netted 32 arrest of what they called Chattanooga's worst criminals.

"It will depend on each person's criminal history, but it's at least 10 years to life if convicted as charged," one federal agent said during the 2013 press conference.

But a plea deal allowed brown to serve a lot less time, spending two years behind bars in exchange for testifying against his friend, according to the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Channel 3 archives show Brown made headlines again in 2018 when he led officers on a chase.

He was wanted for allegedly pretending to be a police officer and forcing his way inside a woman's home, where police said he held her against her will.

Now, Brown is at the center of headlines again, accused of shooting and killing Huntsville police officer Billy Clardy III during an undercover drug operation.

Channel 3 reached out to Brown's mother about the accusations against her son.

She declined to comment but did tell AL.com she wants to know more about what happened before the shooting. "I really don't think my son would kill a police officer. He's been a good son. Not to say he's perfect, but he's not the person who they portray him to be in the newspaper," said Alma Jean Applebet.

U.S. Attorney Jay Town, of the northern district of Alabama, told AL.com he plans on having a conference call with federal and Tennessee officials later this week about why Brown was out of jail at the time of the shooting.

Channel 3 has reached out to the the Hamilton County District Attorney's Office and the East Tennessee District of the U.S. Attorney's Office for comment, both have declined our requests.

If convicted, Brown faces life in prison or the death penalty.

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/4142767...ficer-shooting

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

State will seek death penalty in Huntsville police officer’s killing

By Lee Roop
    AL.com

Madison County prosecutors said in court today today they will seek the death penalty against LaJeromeny Brown for allegedly firing eight rounds and killing Huntsville police officer Billy Clardy III in a December drug stakeout.

Brown appeared before District Judge Patrick Tuten for a preliminary hearing in a small courtroom filled to standing room with law enforcement officers. Tuten found enough evidence at the hearing to send Brown’s case to a grand jury, but said he would consider the defense request for bond. Prosecutors said they will fight Brown’s release.

The only witness testifying in the hearing was Huntsville police Investigator Chris Hines, according to WHNT-TV News 19. Hines gave his account of the Dec. 6, 2019 events that led to Clardy’s death and Brown’s arrest. Clardy and Hines were members of a multi-agency Strategic Counterdrug Team (STAC) team that handles drug cases.

Hines said the team had decided to target Brown in a drug buy operation involving 100 pounds of marijuana. He said they had identified Brown as a target after an earlier drug buy in a parking lot. The deal was to happen at the house on Levert Street in northeast Huntsville where Clardy was shot.

Hines said Clardy and two other agents were in the house awaiting Brown’s arrival with the drugs. Brown drove up and parked in the yard in front of the house, not where police expected, resulting in some confusion. One officer went to the back of the house, and Clardy and another officer were inside in a room next to the front door.

Hines said Brown brought a suitcase and other bags to the porch, and police watching outside alerted Clardy and the other officer inside. Clardy’s job was to step up and arrest Brown.

Brown opened the front door, Clardy emerged and Hines said no words were spoken before Brown fired eight shots from a 9 mm Glock pistol that had been modified to fire on full automatic, WHNT reported. Clardy was hit twice, and Brown turned and ran. The officer with Clardy fired one shot at Brown’s truck, thinking he was inside, but Brown was running.

Some officers tried to help Clardy while others waiting in their cars pursued Brown. He was arrested about 100 yards from that point with no gun in his possession. He told officers he was in the area looking for foreclosed houses. He would not answer questions.

Police say they confiscated about 106 pounds of marijuana.

Brown’s attorneys questioned if police had identified themselves and said Brown was afraid of being robbed. Prosecutors said Clardy was wearing a vest with “police” on the front.

https://www.al.com/news/2020/01/stat...-shooting.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Court orders lawyer change for man charged with killing Huntsville police officer

By William Thornton
    AL.com

Madison County Circuit Judge Chris Comer has appointed new lawyers for a man accused of killing a Huntsville police officer.

Attorneys Bruce Gardner and Eric Wood will now represent LaJeromeny Brown, 42, charged with capital murder in the killing Huntsville policeman Billy Clady III. Clady was a 48-year-old husband and father of five children who was shot to death last December 6 near the corner of Oakwood Avenue and Levert Street Northeast during a drug task force operation. Prosecutors said in January they would seek the death penalty.

Huntsville attorneys Brian Clark and John Brinkley had been Brown’s attorneys. After learning that Brown’s family could not cover court costs, the two asked the court to allow them to withdraw as retained counsel and become court-appointed counsel by declaring Brown indigent.

Instead, according to court documents, Comer this week declared Brown indigent, allowed Clark and Brinkley to withdraw as counsel, and appointed Gardner and Wood, the lawyers he initially appointed for Brown last year.

A status conference in the case is scheduled for Nov. 23.

https://www.al.com/news/2020/10/cour...e-officer.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Capital murder suspect files unusual request for body camera footage

By Dallas Parker
    WHNT News

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – LaJeromeny Brown, a man charged in the 2019 murder of Huntsville police officer Billy Clardy III recently filed a motion requesting body camera footage from the night in question.

Madison County district judge Chris Comer denied the motion, citing Brown like anyone else, does not have the right to hybrid counsel.

Huntsville area criminal defense attorney Mark McDaniel, who has no ties to this case, explained what that means.

“If he did not have a lawyer, then this motion would have standing,” he said. “The judge would rule on his motion, and he would give him the information that is discoverable.”

A case in the Alabama Court of Appeals made it so that a defendant can not have a lawyer and attempt to represent himself simultaneously.
    <aside>
    </aside>McDaniel said the filing speaks a lot of Brown’s confidence in his representation.

“It tells me that you’ve got a person that thinks he knows more than his lawyer, and that his lawyer might be kind of an inconvenience to him,” he said.

The attorney said this is a capital murder case and he thinks the prosecution is likely to seek the harshest penalty.

“This is a case where I’m sure the state’s going to go for the death penalty,” McDaniel said. “He needs a lawyer really bad.”

As for Brown’s request, generally speaking McDaniel doesn’t believe it will do him much good.

“I don’t think its going to be evidence that could clear him,” he said. “I think it’s going to be evidence that will be strongly used against him. So, I mean to have to request it and say ‘I think it’s going to help me,’ I don’t believe that’s going to be the case.”

Brown has had a total of two teams of lawyers assigned to his case so far. Currently, Bruce Gardner and Eric Wood are his appointed counsel.

It’s not clear why Brown didn’t go through his attorneys to file the motion.

However, Judge Comer said Brown could re-file the motion through his lawyers for consideration.

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/cap...amera-footage/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

POLICE OFFICER'S ACCUSED KILLER INDICTED IN MADISON COUNTY

Prosecutors now face deadline over pursuit of a death sentence in Lajeromeny Brown's Capital Murder case

By Stephen Gallien
    WAAY News

A man jailed on a Capital Murder charge for the 2019 shooting death of a Huntsville police officer has now been indicted by a grand jury.

Lajeromeny Brown's indictment was recently made public in online court records.

Brown has been held in the Madison County jail without bond since his arrest for the shooting death of Billy Clardy, Jr. during a drug investigation.

Court records show the judge in Brown's case ordered prosecutors to advise the court in writing if a death penalty would be sought as this case moves toward a trial in 2022.

A status hearing is set for December 17.

https://www.waaytv.com/content/news/...575252601.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Madison County prosecutors stated Friday November 19 that they are seeking the death penalty for Brown.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Huntsville Police officer Billy Clardy's accused killer won't stand trial until 2023 at the earliest

By WAAY 31 News

The family of a Huntsville Police officer killed in the line of duty two years ago will have to wait even longer to get justice.

Friday morning, accused killer Lajeromeny Brown was in a Madison County courtroom where the defense and prosecutors agreed the trial won't begin until 2023, at the earliest.

Brown is accused of killing STAC Agent Billy Clardy III, a 48-year-old husband and father of five, during a drug task force operation in northeast Huntsville on Dec. 6, 2019.

The task force was conducting a buy-bust operation at a house on Levert Street when Clardy was hit in an area not protected by his protective vest.

The delays in the case moving forward to trial stem from a backlog of capital murder trials already scheduled for 2022 due to pandemic related court delays, according to attorneys.

The defense team told WAAY 31 the case against Brown "isn't cut and dry" and they need time to go over the hours of video evidence as they prepare the defense.

Prosecutor Tim Gann said they are ready and confident the evidence in this case will be enough to convict Brown. He faces a possible death sentence if he is found guilty of this capital murder charge.

"In years past I think some of these cases languished and now there is a sense of urgency to get them tried. We all understand this is a necessity so we're doing the best we can to get it tried," Gann said Friday.

The judge scheduled another status hearing for April 21, 2022 where they will likely get trial dates on the calendar for 2023.

https://www.waaytv.com/townnews/law/...8664dcef1.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

LaJeromeny Brown capital murder trial aiming for Spring 2023

By Dallas Parker
    WHNT News

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) — The man charged in the shooting death of Huntsville Police Officer Billy Clardy III was in court for a case status update.

LaJeromeny Brown was indicted for capital murder by a grand jury in September 2021 for allegedly shooting Clardy during a drug ting operation in December 2019.
    <aside>
    </aside>Madison County Circuit Court Judge Chris Comer likes to hold status conferences every few months in capital cases. During Thursday’s meeting, the prosecution and defense were both asked about pending issues but there weren’t any to discuss.

Judge Comer said he’s aiming to start the trial in March or April of 2023 but scheduling issues have prevented an exact date from being set. He added the spring 2023 trial date is just an estimate.

Both the prosecution and defense said they expect Brown’s trial will likely last two weeks and defense attorney Bruce Gardner said he would like to see a jury pool of more than 80 people due to the high-profile nature of the case.

No definite decisions were made in the courtroom Thursday.

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/laj...r-spring-2023/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information