Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What will be the next conservative state to resume executions?

Arizona is already inactive.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Arizona is inactivate now yes but like I said it had a much stronger chance at resuming with the attorney general and Ducey will come around eventually but if they did restart how long would they last due to the demographic changes in that state

Ducey has been the governor for 5 years now and they they haven't made any progress since he came into office, I don't believe he cares. He doesn't respond to the AG asking for dates either.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

McMaster cares more so next year you’ll see a revival from one or the other or maybe both. South Carolina got very close to reinstating the electric chair this year they’ll probably reinstate it once the legislature reconvenes in September.
    Last edited by Neil; 07-31-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Arizona and Oklahoma seem the two likeliest conservative states to restart next. Question being which one will restart first? Oklahoma has their hands tied at the moment due to the tribe ruling. Ducey said they need to “mix the drugs” before they restart. I recon Oklahoma will restart first. Question with Oklahoma how many can they execute due to the tribe ruling?
    Last edited by Neil; 09-09-2020 at 08:43 PM.

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    Maybe I’m wrong but I read tea leaves that say Ducey doesn’t want them to resume, and he’s term limited in 2022.

Oklahoma it is both Stitt and the attorney general there are ardent supporters of it to begin with. Ducey did use the OldWine excuse in 2018 of being against it due to the “Pope.” Pete Ricketts was obviously the best Governor when it came to the death penalty finding another governor like him to fight to save death row after a repeal bill is very rare.

Current active death penalty jurisdictions
    Texas
    Florida
    Alabama
    Georgia
    Missouri
    Arkansas

Reviving soon
    Oklahoma

Potential to revive soon
    Arizona
    South Carolina

Current active small death penalty jurisdictions
    Nebraska
    South Dakota

Potential to revive soon
    Idaho
    Montana

I don’t know if I can leave Florida as active. DeSantis is not keen on executions. It’s a shame I had to remove the Federal Government from the time I made this list in July. I left Tennessee as inactive because their Supreme Court and Bill Lee aren’t keen on executing anyone and hiding behind COVID as an excuse not to. Too bad their attorney general isn’t Governor there. Montana can be added to the list as a potential revival but for two executions. The jurors have not added a death sentence to their death row since the late 90s and will not be keen to do so anytime soon. Arizona might revive if their attorney general wins next year because Ducey is not at all keen on executions.
    Last edited by Neil; 02-23-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Well it’s been 8 months since I touched this thread. Oklahoma was the next state to finally resume executions after a long pause. I never thought I’d see the day I’d update this thread again especially after all the failed pandering restart attempts we saw this year. Oklahoma was the most serious and they are effectively only the 4th active death penalty jurisdiction at this time.

All the others that I said that were active last year like Tennessee and Georgia are currently inactive jurisdictions. Georgia’s death row is running out of time given the state’s immense drift to the left. Oklahoma was essentially the only silver lining to a disastrous year for capital punishment.

The next conservative state I see resuming in the future is Idaho. I give them the highest chance at resuming since they have the required drugs. I do see a dark horse candidate in the future that will resume but after 2024. North Carolina is that candidate but they must get rid of Roy Cooper first. Roy Cooper is term limited in 2024 and given the statewide strength for the NC GOP it’s very possible they’ll resume at the middle of this decade. They very well could’ve resumed had Pat Mccory won his re-election bid. The NC Supreme Court is most certainly going to flip next year effectively halting the effects of RJA.

Oklahoma is a reason to be optimistic about the future but also a good reason to be very cautious as we’ve seen this year that there’s a lot of obstruction against the death penalty on the GOP side. Ohio with the mental illness bill. The Texas house was effectively ready to strip their death penalty law and the Montana GOP tabling their bill to update their drug protocol. Utah is a conservative jurisdiction primed to oust the death penalty next year. The GOP is not a saving grace for the death penalty they’ve joined hands with Democratic politicians to kill the practice. Oklahoma was a prime example of how hard it is anymore to find politicians that did the jobs they were elected to do.

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    Even if being tough on crime isn’t a winning issue politically, it is good to see some politicians still have their head on straight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information