Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stevie "Bubba" Walder Sentenced to LWOP In 2009 TX Christmas Day Slaying

Stevie "Bubba" Walder Sentenced to LWOP In 2009 TX Christmas Day Slaying

Liberty County Authorities Will Pursue Death Penalty

Liberty police say the district attorney's office will seek the death penalty for Stevie "Bubba" Walder.

Walder is charged with capital murder for the shooting death of a Liberty convenience store owner on Christmas.

50-year-old Naushad Virani was found with a gunshot wound to the head behind the store counter.

Investigators say Walder fled the scene. He was arrested two days later in Woodville.

Walder is in the Liberty County Jail on a $2 million bond. He's isolated from the rest of the inmates, because he had been causing problems. But authorities say he continues to harass jailers.

Police say the motive for the murder was robbery. And although authorities believe Walder was a white supremacist, they don't believe the crime was racially or religiously motivated.

http://setxhomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=79741

LIBERTY, Texas, Feb. 14 (UPI) -- Police said an alleged white supremacist is in custody and facing charges he allegedly shot and killed a store owner in Liberty County, Texas.

Liberty police spokesman Hugh Bishop said Stevie "Bubba" Walder is facing capital murder charges in the Christmas Day killing of Chubby's Convenience Store owner Naushad Virani, the Houston Chronicle said Sunday.

Bishop said Walder, 31, was arrested Saturday by traffic officers in Tyler County, Texas.

Authorities said Walder, who has prior convictions for terroristic threat and burglary of a habitation, shot Virani, 50, in the head during an attempted robbery of Virani's store last December.

The homicide is being investigated as a possible hate crime, the Chronicle reported.

Bishop said since being arrested, Walder has not cooperated with authorities and has allegedly threatened his jailers.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/...#ixzz1NVSWDAUq

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/...3351266180901/

Thanks for the update. I forgot about Bubba.

Lol I went back to all the old cases on like pages 14 and 15 for the "upcoming trials" section. In addition, I found a very interesting webpage which basically breaks down the entire Texas Prison System.. You can do any offender search, check how many inmates are listed in each penal institution and for which crime... dates of release etc.. All the information is provided on the Randall Lee Stephens update on his case.

john l
    Heidi, this punk bubba has been locked up for about 2 years. He is able to get a cell phone at will and call to make death threats to me..why can't liberty. County handle this punk..

Quote Originally Posted by john l View Post
    Heidi, this punk bubba has been locked up for about 2 years. He is able to get a cell phone at will and call to make death threats to me..why can't liberty. County handle this punk..
    Welcome to the site John. I have no idea why Liberty County can not control their inmates, and I don't have any new information on Walder's case. I received a private message a few months ago relaying Walder had plead guilty, and the death penalty was off the table. I wasn't able to confirm that information.

Have you filed a formal complaint with the county regarding the harassing phone calls?

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Welcome to the site John. I have no idea why Liberty County can not control their inmates, and I don't have any new information on Walder's case. I received a private message a few months ago relaying Walder had plead guilty, and the death penalty was off the table. I wasn't able to confirm that information.

Have you filed a formal complaint with the county regarding the harassing phone calls?
    All you have to do is go to the TDCJ website and go to offender search and search for the custody status of this inmate. Check out his sentence. Honestly, it's getting really disturbing with how many death sentences have dropped in Texas. Prosecutors are handing plea deals out to some of the counties worst criminals.

Passed away.
    Quote Originally Posted by john l View Post
    Contact Senator John Whitmire and explain the Bubba, who is charged with capital murder, has been calling you from a cell phone from inside the jail. Let him know what has transpired if you have made a complaint to Liberty County.

(512) 463-0115
    (713) 864-8701

I believe that he might be interested in this if nobody from Liberty County is willing to help you.

john l
    I believe that we got through to Liberty County authorities. He quit calling and making death treats, now he is writing letters. He said he was moved to another jail and the new jailers are not part of the brotherhood. He does not have any freedom at the new jail, poor Bubba. Hopefully this will be the last of this guy's mess. Thanks.

Jan
    Man facing death penalty will represent himself in murder case

A Hull man who is facing the death penalty in connection with the 2009 shooting death of a Liberty store clerk was given the go-ahead this week to legally represent himself.

It's something that area attorneys say they have not seen before.

Stevie R. "Bubba" Walder Jr. soon will be receiving legal documents related to his case from his former Conroe-based attorney, Stephen C. Taylor.

At a hearing Monday, 253rd District Judge Chap Cain allowed Walder, 33, to represent himself, and appointed Taylor as standby counsel. That means Taylor can give Walder advice if he asks for it.

He cannot, however, guide Walder or tell him during court proceedings if he thinks he's doing a bad job.

Walder is accused of shooting 50-year-old Naushad Virani in the head after robbing his convenience store on North Main in Liberty County on Dec. 25, 2009.

Police have linked Walder to a white supremacist group, the Aryan Brotherhood, but have not said whether his connection to that group was a motive.

Judges in the past have tried to talk defendants out of passing on an attorney.

In 2008, 252nd District Court Judge Layne Walker told a man charged with felony theft who wanted to represent himself that "there is a really good likelihood you'll get your legs blown off if you do this."

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/ne...lf-3685647.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information