Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kyle David Joekel - Louisiana Death Row

'Every time we talk about him we cry' - Jury decides on death penalty in St. John ambush

“I can’t talk about him without crying, ask Danielle (Neilsen's wife), every time we talk about him we cry," Cox said

By Paul Dudley
    WWLTV.com

EDGARD, La. — Tears flowed down the faces of friends, family and jurors alike inside the St. John the Baptist Parish courthouse Saturday, as the fate of the man found guilty of killing two deputies nearly eight years ago was decided.

On Friday, 35-year-old Kyle Joekel was found guilty on two counts of first-degree murder for the ambush-style shootings of deputies Jeremy Triche and Brandon Neilsen at the Scenic Riverview Trailer Park in LaPlace in August 2012.

Saturday was left for the jury of 12, from Alexandria, La., to hear impact statements following six days of testimony and ultimately decide whether Joekel will receive life in prison or the death penalty.

Family and coworkers of Neilsen and Triche gave deeply emotional statements that brought most in the room to tears.

Captain Anna Cox, who worked with both deputies, held back tears recounting the moment she received the call about the officers being shot. She described the shootout she heard over the police radio as "devastating" and "total chaos"

She described Neilsen as funny and a "goofball" who could immediately turn her day into laughter.

“I can’t talk about him without crying, ask Danielle (Neilsen's wife), every time we talk about him we cry," Cox said.

She described Triche as an ambitious up-and-comer in the force.

Danielle Neilsen Jenkins, Neilsen's widow, also took the stand. She recounted how she first met her husband and how they fell for each other. Pictures of her children, Tyler, Cody, Jared, Gabriel and Lily, were shown.

Pictures of the couple at a Saints game were also shown.

She told jurors that being a police officer "was not just a job but a calling for Brandon,” and that he liked helping people.

Neilsen's father, Steve, also spoke and said he misses and loves his son and that his murder deeply impacted he and his wife, Wendy.

At one point, defense attorneys expressed concerns over the number of victims impact statements (9) that were approved. In response, the prosecution asked the courtroom if they were there for either Neilsen or Triche. Dozens stood up.

The prosecution paused, and said told the room, "from all of those... I had to pick nine."

Joekel's sentencing is expected to be delivered Saturday evening.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l...a-a9a2968e994a
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

he should be officially sentenced to death soon
    Last edited by Bobsicles; 03-29-2020 at 06:02 PM.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Everything is delayed. It maybe a couple of months before the courts get going again.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Gunman formally sentenced to death for 2012 officer killings, 3 years after conviction

By Brooke Robichaux
    L'Observateur

EDGARD — February 9, 2022 marked the three-year anniversary of the day a Rapides Parish jury decided Kyle Joekel would be sentenced to death for the August 2012 murders of St. John the Baptist Parish deputies Jeremy Triche and Brandon Nielsen. This morning, Division C Judge J. Sterling Snowdy presided over Joekel’s sentencing inside the Edgard Courthouse.

Snowdy said the three-year span between Joekel’s conviction and this morning’s sentencing was a result of delays from the COVID-19 pandemic and “a very extensive motion for a new trial.”

Members of the Nielsen and Triche families were present Friday as Joekel was transported from Angola prison and sentenced to death. In February 2019, the grieving family members listened as eye witnesses recounted the ambush-style storm of gunfire that claimed their loved ones’ lives on August 16, 202 at the LaPlace Scenic Riverview Trailer Park.

Witnesses stated that Joekel, a member of an anti-government extremist group called the Sovereign Citizens, lifted an assault rifle and fired in the direction of Triche before standing over an injured Nielsen and shooting him at point-blank range. Evidence presented included Joekel’s DNA found on the rifle used in the shooting. Nielsen’s DNA was additionally found near the bottom of Joekel’s pants. The jury deliberated for only one hour at the conclusion of the nine-day trial before delivering a unanimous guilty verdict.

Nielsen was 34 years old when he was killed, and Triche was four days away from turning 28. Both young men were husbands and fathers.

Family members were given an opportunity to speak during Friday’s sentencing. The court heard statements from Nielsen’s family members, including his widow, Daniell Nielsen Jenkins, his cousin, Thom Cameron, and his father, Steve Nielsen, who read a letter written by his sister.

While impact statements are traditionally a means for a judge to factor in a victim’s perspective when handing down a sentence, Snowdy had no discretion when it came to Joekel’s fate.

“In this case, I’ve already received my marching orders from the jury, three years ago,” he said.

The defense indicated that they will appeal the sentencing. Since the death penalty is involved, the appeal involves an extensive review process that bypasses the intermediate appellate process at the Fifth Circuit Court and goes straight to the Louisiana Supreme Court.

There is no timeline on how long the appeal process is expected to last.

Several officers were in the courtroom for the sentencing. Over the past decade, Triche and Nielsen’s brothers in blue have reminded their families that their sacrifice will never be forgotten.

The 10th anniversary of the ambush was observed with friends, family and pastalaya at the Lloyd B. Johnson Law Enforcement Training Center this past August. Daniell Nielsen Jenkins knew she didn’t want the memorial to be too structured or formal. Instead, it was a reminder of what she and her husband enjoyed most during their marriage — getting family and friends together to feed them.

“I just want people to remember. As the department gets bigger and the area gets bigger, I do feel like they kind of get forgotten because there’s new guys coming in who don’t know their story,” Jenkins said. “It was such a huge thing when it happened. It was at the forefront of everything. As much as I hated that, I think I hate the thought of them not being remembered a lot more.”

Jeremy Triche’s mother, Edie Triche, also expressed that her biggest fear is her son being forgotten.

His legacy lives on through the annual Spots and Dots Fishing Tournament, a fundraiser for the Deputy Jeremy Triche Fallen Hero Foundation. The first annual event raised $12,000, while the 2022 tournament raised nearly $50,000 for families of fallen and injured officers across Louisiana.

“People haven’t forgotten. They still remember. It makes my heart proud,” Edie Triche said.

https://www.lobservateur.com/2023/02...er-conviction/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information