Thread: Socorro Susan "Cora" Caro - California Death Row

Socorro Susan "Cora" Caro - California Death Row

Xavier Caro, Sr. holding a picture of his murdered sons

Socorro Susan “Cora” Caro

Summary of Offense:

Socorro Caro, according to testimony by several witnesses, including her husband Dr. Xavier Caro, had violently attacked her husband or others on eight occasions prior to the night of November 22, 1999, when she shot and killed three of her four sons. In these previous incidents, Ms. Caro had used weapons and the element of surprise to her advantage, and had caused several injuries, including serious eye damage to her husband.

Caro was sentenced to death in Ventura County on April 5, 2002.

April 6, 2002

Mom sentenced for slaying sons

VENTURA -- The wife of a respected San Fernando Valley doctor was sentenced to death on Friday for the cold-blooded murders of three of the couple's young sons in their Santa Rosa Valley mansion.

In affirming a jury's recommendation that Socorro "Cora" Caro be executed, Ventura County Superior Court Judge Donald Coleman said the fatal shootings had been "willful, premeditated and committed with malice aforethought."

"The brutal murder of these three children occurred in the sanctity of their homes ... (they had become) sacrificial symbolic pawns of a failed marital relationship," he said. Calling the slayings the "mass murder of innocent children," the judge said, "The weight of this factor is quite simply enormous."

Prosecutors said Caro was seeking revenge against her husband for their failing marriage when she shot Xavier Jr., 11, Michael, 8, and Christopher, 5, in the head at point-blank range Nov. 22, 1999. A fourth son, 13-month-old Gabriel, was unharmed, and now resides with his father.

Caro also tried to kill herself, but survived a gunshot wound to the head. She says the injury caused brain damage that prevents her from remembering what happened the night of the shootings.

Outside court, Deputy District Attorney Cheryl Temple said the sentence was appropriate.

"She murdered three kids -- an 11-year-old, an 8-year-old and a 5-year-old. It was murder of the most callous type by a selfish and vindictive person," Temple said.

Flanked by her attorneys and dressed in jail blues, Caro sat stoically during the sentencing.

Deputy Public Defender Nicholas Beeson supported her as she was later led from the courtroom -- pale, gaunt and visibly shaken.

Caro will be transferred to the prison in San Quentin, while her death sentence is automatically appealed.

Earlier in the hearing, Caro broke down while walking past her husband, Dr. Xavier Caro, who was seated in the courtroom gallery.

"How could you do this to us! How could you do this to us!" she shouted at Caro, a prominent rheumatologist practicing in Northridge. "Look at him! He's smirking at me! He's smirking!"

The defense argued during Caro's four-month trial that Xavier Caro actually killed his sons, then framed his wife for the crime.

Xavier Caro left the courthouse without speaking to reporters, but his spokesman, Howard Bragman, later said the day had been grueling.

"I'm glad to have the day behind me, is what he actually said," Bragman said. "It was a very tough day."

Bragman also read a prepared statement that he and Caro had drafted earlier.

"There can be no joy in this decision, only some measure of resolution," the statement said. "There are only two reasons I have been able to endure this unimaginable nightmare: the first is the remarkable support that I have been shown by my family, my friends and my staff and patients. The second is my son Gabriel."

Cora Caro's relatives and supporters were in the courtroom for the sentencing. They said they still believe she is innocent.

"We love Cora, and we're going to be backing her all the way," said Irene Zavala, a member of the jail ministry who has known Caro for years. "I just visited her last week and she had more faith than I have."

Earlier Friday, Coleman had ruled against a motion for a new trial filed by Deputy Public Defender Jean Farley, who said jurors had talked about the case before deliberations began.

"The real evil that's to be guarded against is whether or not there was any improper influence or bias on the part of the jurors," Farley said.

But Coleman said allegations of improper discussions could not be proved and he doubted they would have influenced members of the 10-woman, two-man jury who found Caro guilty and recommended the death penalty.

"We had a very intelligent jury in this case, and I am satisfied that they were not misled," he said.

Source

Caro will be profiled on ID Network's "Deadly Women" on Saturday November 5 at 7 p.m. EDT.

Caro filed her direct appeal on April 5, 2002. There has been no further action on this case.

Caro filed an initial brief on December 4, 2012.

https://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca....1SMCAgCg%3D%3D

Caro's direct appeal has been fully briefed before the California Supreme Court since May 14, 2015.

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.g...1SMCAgCg%3D%3D

On February 6, 2019, oral argument will be heard in Caro's direct appeal before the California Supreme Court.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/c...s/SFEB519A.PDF

On June 12, 2019, Caro filed a habeas petition before the California Supreme Court.

https://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca....NTMCAgCg%3D%3D

In today's opinions, the California Supreme Court AFFIRMED Caro's conviction and death sentence on direct appeal.

https://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/d...ts/S106274.PDF

Distributed for conference April 17, 2020.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/19-7649.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

On April 20, 2020, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Caro's certiorari petition on direct appeal.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of California
    Case Numbers: (S106274)
    Decision Date: June 13, 2019
    Rehearing Denied: September 11, 2019

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/19-7649.html

Thread Information